PDA

View Full Version : Might Get a New Car...Help!

woaface
01-21-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm going to need a car for college, so I checked out an 02' Focus ZX3 at the FMC dealership today. Perfect car for college with good gas mileage and a place to throw my stuff.

Can anyone (RoyLPita?) run the vin on this car? 3FAFP31372R213259

Here's the stats:

PW/PL/PSunroof
6-disc CD player
5-speed (My favorite)
Alloy Wheels
Yellow on Black

Tax, tag, and title, everything and out the door the dealer says 10844.50. I told him I would pay $9500 but we can't go anywhere until my dad comes in which won't be till monday. NADA Black Book agrees with my price. What do you guys think? Thanks

-James

RoyLPita
01-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Here is the OASIS report for the VIN #3FAFP31372R213259:
Build date: 5/14/02 Wty start date: 8/20/02
vehicle has 2 extended programs
02m01 2/24 coverage for the DPFE sensor
03m02 10/150 coverage for the front springs
vehicle has no other recalls, CA emmissions, or Ford extended or maintenance policies.

Warranty repair history:
Fairway Ford
2/8/05 @ 25775 miles
replaced dead battery

There may be more history, but that part is down at this time.

Thanx for inquiring and good luck,
Brian

Agent M79
01-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Though I would probably opt for another vehicle in that class, I have heard mostly positive things about the Focus from owners that I know. More than I would have expected, anyway.

Consumer reports says the '02 sedan version score mostly good with a few very goods. The fairs are suspension and brakes and the one item getting a poor mark: body hardware.

And you're right, it is likely well suited for college mobility.

Silver_04
01-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Hopefully the '02's are better than the '01 ZX3's because I had a good number of recalls and problems with mine. The car was fun to drive though but if I had it to do all over again I would get a Ranger.

That price you listed seems kinda high to me. When I traded my similarly equipped ZX3 back in 2004 the dealer was reselling it for ~7000. The car had about 50,000 miles on it at the time.

woaface
01-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Roy that's wonderful! Thanks, whenever you can get me the rest is fine, I might not go back in until Monday but it's nice to see that Fairway is doing the work on it.

$9500 isn't too bad for 33000. My ONLY complaint with the car was that it smelled a bit like dog, and there was some hair (only a little bit) in the interior, something that could be taken care of in 10 minutes.

It's just a college car and I really want a 5-speed....I test drove it for a little and it drives great!: )

Donny Carlson
01-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Roy that's wonderful! Thanks, whenever you can get me the rest is fine, I might not go back in until Monday but it's nice to see that Fairway is doing the work on it.

$9500 isn't too bad for 33000. My ONLY complaint with the car was that it smelled a bit like dog, and there was some hair (only a little bit) in the interior, something that could be taken care of in 10 minutes.

It's just a college car and I really want a 5-speed....I test drove it for a little and it drives great!: )

How about a Focus SVT? Here's a 1-owner '02 SVT for "buy now" of $9600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Focus-SVT-2002-FORD-FOCUS-SVT_W0QQitemZ4605444019QQcateg oryZ31835QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And if you need to go through a dealer for financing reasons, here's a Black '02 at a Honda dealer in Mobile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Focus-SVT-2-0L-02-2DR-6-SPEED-MANUAL-CD-LEATHER-POWER-HATCHBACK-CRUISE_W0QQitemZ4606762860QQca tegoryZ31835QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em

IMO, the first one is a buy because of all the mod work he did, especially the sound system. The Black one is gorgeous, however.

hitchhiker
01-21-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm going to need a car for college, so I checked out an 02' Focus ZX3 at the FMC dealership today. Perfect car for college with good gas mileage and a place to throw my stuff.

Can anyone (RoyLPita?) run the vin on this car? 3FAFP31372R213259

Here's the stats:

PW/PL/PSunroof
6-disc CD player
5-speed (My favorite)
Alloy Wheels
Yellow on Black

Tax, tag, and title, everything and out the door the dealer says 10844.50. I told him I would pay $9500 but we can't go anywhere until my dad comes in which won't be till monday. NADA Black Book agrees with my price. What do you guys think? Thanks

-James

James,

I thought you were going to get a Marauder.

The big back seat has more room for (E... you know who!)

:D

jimlam56
01-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Though I would probably opt for another vehicle in that class, I have heard mostly positive things about the Focus from owners that I know. More than I would have expected, anyway.

Consumer reports says the '02 sedan version score mostly good with a few very goods. The fairs are suspension and brakes and the one item getting a poor mark: body hardware.

And you're right, it is likely well suited for college mobility.

Just curious, what other vehicle would you opt for in that class?

Agent M79
01-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Just curious, what other vehicle would you opt for in that class?

I would likely have looked at a Civic coupe or if you want to keep the hatch, then maybe a Mazda 3. Most likely would have cost more though for similar mileage and condition.

rayjay
01-21-2006, 04:09 PM
The Focus is a good reiable car. By 02 they worked out most of the bugs. Mucho mods available at reasonable prices if you are so inclined. The price seems a bit high for a 4 year old car, even with low miles.

bigslim
01-21-2006, 08:08 PM
I would likely have looked at a Civic coupe or if you want to keep the hatch, then maybe a Mazda 3. Most likely would have cost more though for similar mileage and condition.
Maybe he wants to buy an American brand car. James, good luck with whatever you get. I will say I like the Focus in yellow.

MarauderMarc
01-21-2006, 09:18 PM
How about a Focus SVT? Here's a 1-owner '02 SVT for "buy now" of $9600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Focus-SVT-2002-FORD-FOCUS-SVT_W0QQitemZ4605444019QQcateg oryZ31835QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And if you need to go through a dealer for financing reasons, here's a Black '02 at a Honda dealer in Mobile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Focus-SVT-2-0L-02-2DR-6-SPEED-MANUAL-CD-LEATHER-POWER-HATCHBACK-CRUISE_W0QQitemZ4606762860QQca tegoryZ31835QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em

IMO, the first one is a buy because of all the mod work he did, especially the sound system. The Black one is gorgeous, however.

Now THATS a car you should get!!! (the focus SVT)

woaface
01-21-2006, 10:16 PM
That SVT is across the country, I might be able to get one here but I'm willing to bet they've had the utter ***** beaten out of them...I need something reliable and low miles that I'll throw a couple of mods on and be happy with.

Yellow is bad enough and I would NEVER buy a red car...it just screams "I'm driving to fast pull me over now!"

That black one on the other hand is hot stuff!!!

Silver_04
01-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Actually, red is lower in the human visual sensitivity spectrum than yellow.

woaface
01-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I know...neither are something I want...but yellow is what I'll get.

RoyLPita
01-22-2006, 07:08 PM
My mother wants a Focus 4 door SES automatic with the street package #2, moonroof, 6 disc CD, side air bags, anti-lock brakes. All she has to do now is place the order.

94_302
01-22-2006, 08:03 PM
If you can, I would suggest holding out for an SVT. They can be difficult to find but they are out there and have a lot of nice features. The six speed is incredible, if you could find a Euro then you get the recaro seats and HIDs along with some other nice features. You may think that an SVT or even one with a Euro Package will not show up in either A. a reasonable price or B. in good shape. If you wait and look they are out there. They do not hold their value well which is great for a buyer. Not to mention the suspension gives it incredible handling. Good luck.

Donny Carlson
01-22-2006, 08:44 PM
I can't believe I'm quoting Star Trek.

Clear to me James has made up his mind, it's gonna be the Yellow ZX3, so discussions of other cars is pointless.

I predict we'll be treated to photos of the Woafacmobile within a week.

rayjay
01-22-2006, 09:06 PM
I know...neither are something I want...but yellow is what I'll get.

I've always been partial to yellow cars and the Focus looks great in yellow. You will enjoy it. Just keep in mind its not meant to be a "straight line" car. Its more about handling. Check out this site, www.focaljet.com (http://www.focaljet.com) for anything you want to know about a Focus.

MENINBLK
01-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Too bad you didn't live in New York...

My wife's lease on her 03 Focus ZTW wagon is up Feb 6th.
Her buyout is $10,300+.

She wanted a Focus Wagon with Heated Seats.
In 03 MY, the only way you could get one was with the LEATHER INTERIOR.
So her ZTW is FULLY LOADED, and only has a hair over 19,333 miles.

The only problems we hever had with it was the transmission,
and it was caused by a faulty wiring harness,
and the rear calipers froze up on the guide pins,
which had new brake hardware installed to correct it.

The car has...

Liquid Grey Clearcoat Metallic Exterior w/Matching colored Headlights
Medium Graphite Leather Interior w/Matching colored Gauge Cluster

2.0L DOHC Zetec Engine
OD Automatic Trans
Weather Package
Heated Seats
Heated Mirrors
Sport Group
Integrated Fog Lamps
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
High Series Cluster
P205/50R16 BSW Tires (FireHawk GTAs !!!)
AM/FM Stereo 6-Disc in Dash
16" Alloy Sport Wheels
Power Moonroof
Perimeter Alarm
California Emissions
Advance Trac
AntiLock Brakes
Traction Control
Side Impact Air Bags
Leather Low Back Bucket Seats

The car will be 3 years old.

We are planning on turning it back into Ford,
and getting a new 2006 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD.
This one also happens to have 'No-Charge' Leather,
but its not a fully loaded model, but it is nicely equipped.

Ross
01-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Getting ready for college! Already! Somebody's getting older around here, and I'm glad that it isn't me.

woaface
01-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Not so fast, I would have looked around at CarMax and stuff.

However, no matter what, it's all up to my dad and his final verdict was a resounding No.

Why? Because until I decide which college I've been accepted too/am going to (applied to two, accepted to one) and until we can be settled with finances and know how much we're getting/giving he is not going to buy me a car.

So...I'll have to wait a few months. A black SVT Focus might be in order:D

I can't believe I'm quoting Star Trek.

Clear to me James has made up his mind, it's gonna be the Yellow ZX3, so discussions of other cars is pointless.

I predict we'll be treated to photos of the Woafacmobile within a week.