PDA

View Full Version : Symantec (Norton) AV Assistance

MM2004
01-22-2006, 10:18 AM
To all you computer geeks,...:)

I have running on my machine (WinXP, SP2), Norton AV 2006 ver. 12.1.0.20 and cannot disble the "Urgent Attention" that always pops up, within Norton, after loggin on that my windows updates is turned off.

It gives me the option to "Fix" as I do not want to enable the auto update function. :mad2:

My methodology with Win updates is to check/install myself. I like controlling my own destiny, so to speak. ;)

As the network admin. for my employer, I am always up to date on the latest patches/updates. Once the patches are tested and verified, they are then "pushed down" to our clients via SUS/WSUS servers.

This is when I will install the updates on my personal machines.

This little bastige is annoying. :mad:

Anyone have a work around for this?

Mike.

fastblackmerc
01-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Linux....

Seriously... Start - Control Panel - Security Center - Automatic Updates - Turn it off.

MM2004
01-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Linux....

Seriously... Start - Control Panel - Security Center - Automatic Updates - Turn it off.

It is turned off. The pop up is running thru Norton. I have checked all Norton features/settings and cannot find where to turn this damn thing off.

fastblackmerc
01-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Sorry, thought you were trying to turn off XP updates. I don't use Nortons, I use AVG the free version, works great.

BruteForce
01-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Set AutoUpdates to notify but not install? Or switch to different (non-bloatware) AV software. I have tried almost all of them over the past 10+ years. Was a Symantec customer for many years but found it to be a resource hog in the past several versions. Using AVG Network Edition for the past year or so and have been very pleased with it. It has a much smaller footprint than most other consumer-level products.

MENINBLK
01-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Uninstall Norton AV and use something that uses a lot less resources than Norton does.

Grisoft's AVG works much better and it is not a resource hog.
It will NEVER give you a popup for trivial things.

TooManyFords
01-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I've got three sites running Trend Micro's Small Business suites for Exchange, Servers and clients. Has to be the least obtrusive I've played with. Norton is the worst, then McAfee. Although I do have to give these two credit for allowing clean uninstalls in their latest releases.

But that isn't the topic of the thread. I would suggest calling Symantec and see if there is a registry setting that will turn this off.

John

MM2004
01-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone!

This has given me a few possible options.

Mike.

QWK SVT
01-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Sounds like you have SystemWorks running, not just NAV. If so:
open up Norton SystemWorks
click on the Options menu
select Norton Protection Center
deselect Show Windows Updates alerts

Hope that helps...

Breadfan
01-23-2006, 08:29 PM
In the registry check the run and runonce for AV keys, be careful not to remove needed keys.

Start > Run... > type "regedit"

In the registry tree go to "HKEY LOCAL MACHINE", "Software", "Microsoft", "Windows", "Current Version" and then click on "Run" and "RunOnce"

There will be keys for SAV and LiveUpdate that are required for the services to start upon startup. Can't tell you exaclty what to look for but if you are a sys admin just look for a key that looks like what you want to disable.

It may not be there, but worth atleast a look.

I just use the corporate version of SAV (10.2 right now) and it's pretty non-intrusive...

But like was said above there should be a way in the program to turn off how the updates are obtained letting you do it manually. Don't know for sure where that is but bet it's placing a registry key to have it pop up on startup.

MM2004
01-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Sounds like you have SystemWorks running, not just NAV. If so:
open up Norton SystemWorks
click on the Options menu
select Norton Protection Center
deselect Show Windows Updates alerts

Hope that helps...

The windows update alerts are deselected.

Thanks,

MM2004
01-23-2006, 08:47 PM
In the registry check the run and runonce for AV keys, be careful not to remove needed keys.

Start > Run... > type "regedit"

In the registry tree go to "HKEY LOCAL MACHINE", "Software", "Microsoft", "Windows", "Current Version" and then click on "Run" and "RunOnce"

There will be keys for SAV and LiveUpdate that are required for the services to start upon startup. Can't tell you exaclty what to look for but if you are a sys admin just look for a key that looks like what you want to disable.

It may not be there, but worth atleast a look.

I just use the corporate version of SAV (10.2 right now) and it's pretty non-intrusive...

But like was said above there should be a way in the program to turn off how the updates are obtained letting you do it manually. Don't know for sure where that is but bet it's placing a registry key to have it pop up on startup.

The only thing related to the NAV in run is ccApp. Not gonna mess w/that one. :nono:

RunOnce and RunOnceEx have no values set. :confused:

This is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

Breadfan
01-23-2006, 08:51 PM
RunOnce and RunOnceEx usually only have values when there is a service that needs to run only once upon reboot. So, if you install something that requires a reboot, before you boot you may see a key there. Something like the AV thing could've been stuck there...

Not sure I have any other ideas at the moment. I do know this, on the 10.2 installer if youre temp directory is too deep in the directory structure it will fail out with an "Unkown Error". How annoying that one was to find and fix!

I'll give it some more thought and see if I come up with anything else.