PDA

View Full Version : Best cars for cops

dwasson
01-22-2006, 04:27 PM
From: http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/19/Autos/funonwheels/best_cars_for_cops/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - If there were a list of the "toughest jobs for cars" being a police car would probably be right up there at the top.

They need big trunks, decent back seat space, huge amounts of front seat space (to allow for computers and radios) and they have to be capable of driving at high speeds for extended periods of time.

(snip)

Comparisons at link

jimlam56
01-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Interesting about the Charger, I have to agree with their comments after driving a rental R/T recently for about 1000 miles. Although I am puzzled about the 126 mph limit on the stock one.
I KNOW the speedo read 140mph on I-75 for a while...My eyes, bad speedo, or no limiter?

Marauder2005
01-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Im skeptical on the reliability of the Charger, for police use. I think if

the 'Interceptor' just had a little more power it would be arguably the best

police vehicle avalible

jgc61sr2002
01-22-2006, 05:08 PM
The Dodge Charger is yet to be proven in every day Police work. We have to see how it holds up. IMO it won't.

The CVPI is the best suited for Police work. It is the only full size vehicle with the body on frame concept with rear wheel drive.
I my self wouldn't want to be involved in an accident with the charger.
Just my :twocents:

jimlam56
01-22-2006, 05:10 PM
I agree, "tinny" is the word that comes to mind...
Nice motor though...

DEFYANT
01-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Im skeptical on the reliability of the Charger, for police use. I think if

the 'Interceptor' just had a little more power it would be arguably the best

police vehicle avalible

I agree. If they put the new 3V engine in it that they use in the Mustang GT w/ 300 HP, that would do nicely.

Rob1559
01-22-2006, 06:36 PM
I personally feel that this is the best police vehicle.

gpfarrell
01-22-2006, 06:59 PM
I my self wouldn't want to be involved in an accident with the charger.
Just my :twocents:

It's my understanding that those 300/Magnum/Charger cars have lots of the old Mercedes E-class in them... parts don't interchange, but there's an uncanny family resemblence.

German cars usually crash well; why do you think this would be any different?

StevenJ
01-22-2006, 09:22 PM
It's my understanding that those 300/Magnum/Charger cars have lots of the old Mercedes E-class in them... parts don't interchange, but there's an uncanny family resemblence.

German cars usually crash well; why do you think this would be any different?

Because it is not a full framed vehicle. There are many other factors to consider. For example, Chargers tend to ride significantly lower than Crown Vics do. How will this impede the Charger's ability to hop a curb as well as a Crown Vic? You may not think this is important, but real cop cars need to hop curbs once in a while to chase down fleeing cars that go offroad over curbs.

rayjay
01-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Try spending 8+ hrs in a Wimpala... Reality was we could buy a CVPI for X dollars, the same money bought a fully equipted Impala, strobes, LED bar, cage, etc. All we had to do was mark them and install radios/computer. It was a no brainer to the bean counters, but they don't have to live in them. To be honest, they've actually held up pretty well, damn good in snow.

RCSignals
01-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Try spending 8+ hrs in a Wimpala... Reality was we could buy a CVPI for X dollars, the same money bought a fully equipted Impala, strobes, LED bar, cage, etc. All we had to do was mark them and install radios/computer. It was a no brainer to the bean counters, but they don't have to live in them. To be honest, they've actually held up pretty well, damn good in snow.

There are many pricing levels for the CVPI to fleet buyers.

Then again, there was a period where the Impalas were being sold at a loss just to get them out on the streets. Those may be some your bean counters bought.

G-Man
01-23-2006, 05:33 AM
I had the opportunity to drive one of the new chargers last week. It was fast, compared to a stock Ford CVPI, but at almost a liter more, I would expect no less. It had strong brakes and felt a lot lighter than it actually is. My biggest complaint was that it was not user freindly to see out of. My MM is nimble, fast and easy to see from. I don't know. The charger will take some getting used to.

rayjay
01-23-2006, 07:40 AM
There are many pricing levels for the CVPI to fleet buyers.

Then again, there was a period where the Impalas were being sold at a loss just to get them out on the streets. Those may be some your bean counters bought.

NYS contract. I was on the perifery of it, there very well may have been an incentive on the Impalas.