PDA

View Full Version : Fire with rear-end collision?

MMM2003
01-24-2006, 06:52 AM
Anybody else happen to see this last night night on the news? I know there have been issues with the CVPI, but this report mentions other Ford models, such as Crown Victoria, the Town Car, and the Mercury Grand Marquis.

Obviously our MM would fall into the same category.

Anyone considering getting that shield installed?

Below is a link to the report on CNN.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/23/ford.fires/index.html

RoyLPita
01-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Here one that didn't go up in flames http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2006-01/21564889.jpg

Dragcity
01-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Link gave me a blank CNN page. Is there a recall?

ezratty
01-24-2006, 07:43 AM
i have been thinking about having the shield installed, for saftey's sake.

Does anyone in Marauderland Know the price of the kit as well as the laboir time to install it at a local dealership?

Marauderman
01-24-2006, 08:26 AM
I think it's a good time for our members working at or in the dealerships to step up and tell us what they can fine out about these shields--cost and install time for us if we want them for ourselves--...and there are several of you out there..............hello...... ....frdwrnch is one--you there guy????

I'm sure we are all interested-----and have been...you bring up a good point---

Marauder386
01-24-2006, 08:39 AM
I saw this last night on Anderson Cooper 360...the kit costed the production company $117.00 and an hour of labor...$150.00 ? If I can get around to the local dealerships, I am going to probably spend a C-note on each car for my own piece of mind...

:coolman:

gdmjoe
01-24-2006, 08:49 AM
MMM2003 ... I know there have been issues with the CVPI, but this report mentions other Ford models, such as Crown Victoria, the Town Car, and the Mercury Grand Marquis. Obviously our MM would fall into the same category.
Just stating the other obvious ...

The CVPI IS a Crown Victoria (P71 model).

And all of the other models mentioned, have the same Panther platform and therefore inherit all of the advantages (and disadvantages).

SergntMac
01-24-2006, 09:16 AM
CNN must have had a slow news day, or, a newbie on staff. This issue was settled quite some time ago, and the degree of impact required to light the fuel tank would kill you anyway, so, the blankie wouldn't do you much good.

The blankie is a big waste of time and money, not interested. But, thanks, for the consumer alert, and looking out for brother owners.

FordNut
01-24-2006, 09:25 AM
CNN must have had a slow news day, or, a newbie on staff. This issue was settled quite some time ago, and the degree of impact required to light the fuel tank would kill you anyway, so, the blankie wouldn't do you much good.

The blankie is a big waste of time and money, not interested. But, thanks, for the consumer alert, and looking out for brother owners.
Kinda my thoughts on the old, old subject. Which has already been the topic of numerous posts here.

hitchhiker
01-24-2006, 10:10 AM
My 'blankie' (gas tank shield) will be installed on 2/2 along with the front and rear skid pads I ordered from Dennis.

I Might as well be on the right side of the odds.

:D

DEFYANT
01-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Am I the only one that sees a pattern here?

These stories became big news right before Dodge and Chevy launched their own police vehicles.

What a better way to get a chunk of the market.

Vortech347
01-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Wow this story has been going for a couple years now.

Anyone know the part # of the kit? Maybe my bud at the dealer can get me one. :)

SID210SA
01-24-2006, 10:42 AM
IMO I dont think its neeed unless you plan on sitting on the side of the highway.....and I dont know about you but I dont like to be stuck in traffic so I avoid it all together...

hitchhiker
01-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Wow this story has been going for a couple years now.

Anyone know the part # of the kit? Maybe my bud at the dealer can get me one. :)

The part # is:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<o:p></o:p>
3W7Z-9B007-AA<o:p></o:p>

gdmjoe
01-24-2006, 11:47 AM
And why just stop with the shield kit when you could have ...

This (http://www.firepanelllc.com/) -and/or- This (http://www.cvpi.com/fire_suppression.htm) -and/or- .....

ezratty
01-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Ha Ha! just because some members are concerned with safety dosen't mean you should dump all over them. I'm sure that the girls in that limo weren't expecting to die from a fire that night sitting in traffic. Maybe you live out in the stix with no other traffic and don't have to worry about other vehicles. If Ford put them in all Interceptors, and is not putting them in Limos, why shouldn't i want the added protection and peace of mind as well. god willing i will never need to find out if a shield is needed but if that time comes i would rather have the shield. If you find it to be a waste or unecessary thats o.k. but if you want to contribute to the discussion give your opinion not your wisecracks

MENINBLK
01-24-2006, 12:10 PM
The shield is only for one purpose, and that purpose
only applies to Police Vehicles.

When a Police Vehicle is struck from the rear, the trunk will buckle
because it is an impact energy absorption point.

Do you know where all the equipment in a police cruiser is located ?
IN THE T R U N K !!!

All that equipment gets crushed and pushed towards the rear axle,
where it will puncture the front of the trunk pan and if forced far enough,
puncture the rear of the fuel tank.

The guard is to prevent the objects that puncture the trunk pan
from puncturing the fuel tank.

So whether you install this or not, it will not make a vehicle for civilian use any safer.
This is the debate here, and this is the purpose of the shield.
Please understand what it is for, and please understand that in a rear end collision
the fuel tank in our vehicle does not usually rupture.

dwasson
01-24-2006, 12:17 PM
If you drive like I do getting rear ended isn't an issue

hitchhiker
01-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Ha Ha! just because some members are concerned with safety dosen't mean you should dump all over them. I'm sure that the girls in that limo weren't expecting to die from a fire that night sitting in traffic. Maybe you live out in the stix with no other traffic and don't have to worry about other vehicles. If Ford put them in all Interceptors, and is not putting them in Limos, why shouldn't i want the added protection and peace of mind as well. god willing i will never need to find out if a shield is needed but if that time comes i would rather have the shield. If you find it to be a waste or unecessary thats o.k. but if you want to contribute to the discussion give your opinion not your wisecracks

It's purely political and it sometimes it's funny.

Some of them red people loves me so much that they just can't stand it, like!

:lol:

gdmjoe
01-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Some 411 (http://352.one85.com/upgrade.htm) on the kit installation.

Breadfan
01-24-2006, 01:38 PM
How does this not apply to civilian vehicles? Lost of people keep things in their trunk. That story referenced a wrench breaking a tank on a Town Car - I have a breaker bar along with some other tools I keep in my trunk. A 3.5 foot long 1/2" metal pole might cause an issue...

I think the story, like usual, is completely unfair. I think Ford is correct, at those speeds any car could have this problem. At the same time, nothing wrong with making this sheild available to those who wish to purchase it.

Will it save them? Who knows. Should they be allowed to buy it? Why the heck not?

My point has nothing to do with the vehicles safety or the effectiveness of "the sheild" but the simple logic of why this stupid peice of pastic can't be bought by a normal person.

It probably has something to do with Ford wanting to keep this on the down-low. And who can blame them? With a revenous media that blows everything out of proportion and constantly mis-represents the subjects of their "stories" why WOULD Ford want more publicity on this?

grampaws
01-24-2006, 02:56 PM
$150..or burnt alive no contest!!The GM/CV's are still
one of the safest vehicles on the road ..but as I see it
if it improves the safety of my vehicle It is worth the investment..
What ticks me about ford is they rollover for fleets and give the private
owners the shaft on Known shortcomings of there vehicles...
They do this again and again..ie intake manifolds,tires on explorers
gas tank fires..and paint issues..The kit is available but they don't even
tell anyone and we have to pay for it..most fleet cars would get this NC!
Feel shafted again!!

hitchhiker
01-24-2006, 03:08 PM

Thank you just the same but I believe those are the kit for the 2002 and earlier CVPI's.

I am sure there are some similar elements to the install though.

Vortech347
01-24-2006, 03:27 PM
I think the story, like usual, is completely unfair. I think Ford is correct, at those speeds any car could have this problem. At the same time, nothing wrong with making this sheild available to those who wish to purchase it.

Will it save them? Who knows. Should they be allowed to buy it? Why the heck not?

:stupid: I'm having my friend look into the cost of this setup.

SergntMac
01-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Ha Ha! just because some members are concerned with safety dosen't mean you should dump all over them. I'm sure that the girls in that limo weren't expecting to die from a fire that night sitting in traffic. Maybe you live out in the stix with no other traffic and don't have to worry about other vehicles. If Ford put them in all Interceptors, and is not putting them in Limos, why shouldn't i want the added protection and peace of mind as well. god willing i will never need to find out if a shield is needed but if that time comes i would rather have the shield. If you find it to be a waste or unecessary thats o.k. but if you want to contribute to the discussion give your opinion not your wisecracks Okay...I guess I missed something here. I don't see anyone dumping on you, but if I'm the wise-cracker, I apologize here and now, and sincerely. Nothing wrong with opting for safety, but in this case, some reason should be applied as well.

I'm not reaching for a pun to say that this topic has been greatly inflamed over the past 3 years. It's been through civil and criminal courts, union beefs, as well as official NHTSA like investigations at the city, state and federal levels. And, all investigations come back to roost at one simple conclusion, i.e. when you expose an automobile to grave impacts, sometimes they catch fire.

The reason I temper my view with here, is to compare my home to my Marauder.

Homes catch fire everyday, everywhere in the country, and for a dozen reasons. The majority of causes begin in the kitchen, laundry room, and places where energy resources collect. Therefore, installing a fire extingusher at arms reach makes sense in kitchens, laundry rooms, perhaps basement tool/work shops and garages as well. But, do I need to install them in every room of the house? One in each nightstand on both sides of the bed? The average person would say no, that's overkill.

In this sense, the Kevlar blankie is overkill for the average motorist. It was created by FMC to appease certain police unions across the country who got caught up in the rehortic and refused to drive their squad cars without some additional protection. Therefore, it's a prophylactic measure, a condom, and it should be understood as such, and suffering from the same shortcomings. It's a barrier when used correctly, a barrier no one will absolutely guarantee as absolutely effective against the transmission of disease, or, conception.

Hope this helps, carry on gents.

MMM2003
01-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Okay...I guess I missed something here. I don't see anyone dumping on you, but if I'm the wise-cracker, I apologize here and now, and sincerely. Nothing wrong with opting for safety, but in this case, some reason should be applied as well.

I'm not reaching for a pun to say that this topic has been greatly inflamed over the past 3 years. It's been through civil and criminal courts, union beefs, as well as official NHTSA like investigations at the city, state and federal levels. And, all investigations come back to roost at one simple conclusion, i.e. when you expose an automobile to grave impacts, sometimes they catch fire.

The reason I temper my view with here, is to compare my home to my Marauder.

Homes catch fire everyday, everywhere in the country, and for a dozen reasons. The majority of causes begin in the kitchen, laundry room, and places where energy resources collect. Therefore, installing a fire extingusher at arms reach makes sense in kitchens, laundry rooms, perhaps basement tool/work shops and garages as well. But, do I need to install them in every room of the house? One in each nightstand on both sides of the bed? The average person would say no, that's overkill.

In this sense, the Kevlar blankie is overkill for the average motorist. It was created by FMC to appease certain police unions across the country who got caught up in the rehortic and refused to drive their squad cars without some additional protection. Therefore, it's a prophylactic measure, a condom, and it should be understood as such, and suffering from the same shortcomings. It's a barrier when used correctly, a barrier no one will absolutely guarantee as absolutely effective against the transmission of disease, or, conception.

Hope this helps, carry on gents.

Mac:

I believe he was refering to post# 15 by gdmjoe.

Peter aka MMM2003

RoyLPita
01-25-2006, 09:14 AM
The part # is:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<o:p></o:p>
3W7Z-9B007-AA<o:p></o:p>

I posted this on another thread relating to this.

hitchhiker
01-25-2006, 09:48 AM
I posted this on another thread relating to this.

That's where I got it.

Thanks Roy!

Best Regards,

David

RCSignals
01-25-2006, 04:03 PM

These stories became big news right before Dodge and Chevy launched their own police vehicles.

No you are not alone. You are absolutely correct.

FordNut
01-25-2006, 04:31 PM

Funny how nobody mentions the front brakes of police Intrepids catching fire.

Petrograde
01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
More food for thought,.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC,... the Dallas PD rigged a test by welding a tire iron to a jack then placed the pointy end towards the gas tank,.. and low and behold when the test vehicle slammed into the ass end of the CVPI the tank ruptured and caught fire.

Well,..... DUH!

TRP460
01-25-2006, 05:32 PM
More food for thought,.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC,... the Dallas PD rigged a test by welding a tire iron to a jack then placed the pointy end towards the gas tank,.. and low and behold when the test vehicle slammed into the ass end of the CVPI the tank ruptured and caught fire.

Well,..... DUH!

Yes Sir, you are correct! That little piece of info came out last year during our negotiations with FMC when they refused to sell us our CVPI's, which had already been ordered.........

MENINBLK
01-25-2006, 05:56 PM

I wouldn't want this technician installing ANYTHING on my Marauder.
If the differential cover guard is mounted on the BOTTOM of the axle,
what is it guarding against ??? Gremlins from below ???

Marauderman
01-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Kinda my thoughts on the old, old subject. Which has already been the topic of numerous posts here.
Well you and Mac have your opinions--thats what makes this such a great place to be discussing car topics-BUT--I have had my Axx kissed in by a trash truck sliding down from 60 miles an hour--remember--(pic here if i could place it) --and just want to say--I too will go with the odds and get her installed when I can--...............yes.........tha t rear hit I took did not light up my rear,, ...this time--was I lucky?--who knows---but if there is another ....I want it to be a bit more lucky than I was the first time--my opinion....thanks guys...Tom

vegasmarauder
01-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Let me weigh in on this topic as I have the shield kits installed on all three of our MM's, and a bunch of CVPI's as well. First off, these kits are already installed on all 2002 up CVPI's period. it is not an option. They were retrofitted to all 92-01 CVPI's still in police fleet service AT NO CHARGE. It was offered to all fleet purchasers.

When a CVPI in police use gets rear ended and burns, a bunch of Ford engineers will pay you a visit. I won't say in a public forum how I know, but if you PM me, I give a little more detail. What they do is review the incident and vehicle and see what caused the fire, not the crash. These "exams" can get pretty technical, examining each spot weld on the body, how the body panel was stamped, etc. In just about every case, it was some non-Ford piece of equipment or item that puntured the tank, etc.

As a result of looking a bunch of real world crashes and tests, the shield kit was developed. What it esentially does is cover or change any possible item that was found to even remotely damage (not even punture) the gas tank. This is why the plastic shields are on the axle housing shock mounts. The lower covers on the diff cover are for the bolts, because bolt indentions were found on some tanks. The bolts holding the fuel canister on the underside of the trunk could do the same, so they go in favor of rivets. In addition, the CV/MM/etc tank is larger. It has more capacity so it can crush down and still hold 20 gallons of gas. It is currently at 24 gal capacity I think.

I put them on my cars as an one time insurance payment, thats all. When my 2003 was 2 days old, I almost got rear ended on the freeway, so I thought it would be a good idea. The part number above is correct. Price is actually pretty cheap. Check with Ray the Dealer and you may be surprised. Labor from a Ford dealer is about $50-60, or you can do it yourself if you have even a remote understanding of hand tools.

I have seen CV's get clobbered at 70 plus MPH with no fire, so I feel they are very safe. This is just more piece of mind for that 1 in 10,000th time....

vegasmarauder
01-26-2006, 12:06 AM
PS. I had all of the MM's done on the first oil change. Just set it up with the service people and eveything was done in a hour. The Ford shop guys have done so many CVPI's they can do it in under the hour it says it normally takes.

SergntMac
01-26-2006, 03:32 AM
Well then, happy motoring to you all...