PDA

View Full Version : Does This Irritate Anyone Else ???

Bluerauder
01-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Just curious ....

I am talking about those dealer stickers and emblems that get stuck on the back of new cars. Some of them are pretty tacky and totally destroy the looks of a new car. Basically, it amounts to free advertizing for the dealer. Maybe we should charge them .... say $1.00 per day for the length of the car warranty ... 3 years/ 36 months for use of your vehicle as a mobile billboard. On my last couple purchases, I have asked them to remove them before I take delivery of the car. Unfortunately, I forgot on the Freestyle and the darn letters just detract from the appearance. :(

Does this irritate anyone else?? :dunno:

O's Fan Rich
01-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Yes, yes it does. I don't allow it.

hitchhiker
01-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Just curious ....

I am talking about those dealer stickers and emblems that get stuck on the back of new cars. Some of them are pretty tacky and totally destroy the looks of a new car. Basically, it amounts to free advertizing for the dealer. Maybe we should charge them .... say $1.00 per day for the length of the car warranty ... 3 years/ 36 months for use of your vehicle as a mobile billboard. On my last couple purchases, I have asked them to remove them before I take delivery of the car. Unfortunately, I forgot on the Freestyle and the darn letters just detract from the appearance. :(

When I ordered my MM, I told the dealer that any stickers or emblems would void the sale when I came for delivery.

That's all.

:D

sweetair
01-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Just curious ....

Does this irritate anyone else?? :dunno:It is pretty rediculous that they do that. It is bad enough that you get the dealer plate holder in the back that has their name on it, but at least you can remove it if you want to. It should be illegal is my feeling........

pantheroc
01-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Don't like them either. Asked for no stickers and no holes for front license plate braket also, luckily I haven't been pulled over yet.

DEFYANT
01-26-2006, 08:31 PM
I hear that! I forgot the dam carmax scriblings on lisas van. They are still there

MarauderMark
01-26-2006, 08:33 PM
I bought a 2000 SSEi when i came to take possession it had there sticker on it and it was put on sloppy had them remove it right away and will never allow them on any of my vehicals .

oldekid
01-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Yes, it is annoying and wrong in my book. I always insist that they remove any stickers before I take the car as well. I have not had any problems so far.

They know how tacky it is too, but if you let them get by with it, you will advertise for the dealership every time you leave the garage.

Some people just don't care, but I'm not one of them. :nono:

fastblackmerc
01-26-2006, 08:42 PM
When I make a deal for a car I tell them not to put any stickers on the car. I even write that under my signature. Also tell them that if there are any on the car I will refuse to take it. If they insist I tell them my advertising fee is $1,000.00 per year and I keep my cars for at least 10 tears so you'll have to take another $10,000.00 of the purchase price.... Never had a sticker on a car yet:D

BruteForce
01-26-2006, 08:42 PM
I had them remove the dealer license plate frame when I picked mine up. "But its free" sez the salesman. "Then you're free to take that :censor: off my car" sez the Brute.

Hotrauder
01-26-2006, 08:47 PM
It's 100%. Keep your crap of my car. I am amazed at how many people drive around with Dealer ads on the back of their car. I don't get it. Everyone complains about the way they are treated at most dealerships yet they drive around advertising for them every day. Also I doubt that it is a cost effective programs for the dealers. I give them all a shot at giving me the best deal. Nothing personal at all. I save that for the back end where a relationship with the service department is essential and independant of the lying bozos out front. . Dennis:cool:

dwasson
01-26-2006, 08:54 PM
One car I had was rear-ended and the dealership bodyshop replaced my custom, undamaged, license plate frame with their dealer frame. I made them go through the scrap,find my old frame, and install that one.

alarmguy
01-26-2006, 09:47 PM
I peeled the dealer logo off my trunk lid right after I pulled in my driveway when I brought it home from the dealer. Took it slow, it was just plastic on double stick tape. Threw away the dealer license plate frame when I got my permanent plates.

Sully008
01-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Still batting a thousand. I made absolutely sure they didn't put on a dealer sticker on my Marauder. Even on my last two cars I got from them I had them taken off. I will advertise for them by word of mouth, not using my car as a rolling billboard.

Dark_Knight7096
01-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes, i agree. You are gonna charge me X amount of dollars for a car why am i gonna advertise for u, ur not giving me any discount. Really bugs me too.

Leadfoot281
01-27-2006, 02:28 AM
You guys take stickers off your cars? I added one at the dealership.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/th_mm333.jpg (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/mm333.jpg)

I thought the salesman was gonna ***** frogs when I did that.:D :D :D

Marauderjack
01-27-2006, 04:40 AM
The three Ford dealers in Charlotte used to SCREW the damn things on the car and they were all different sizes and shapes to ensure that the purchaser return to the original purchase dealership to trade the car!!!:argue: :mad2:

If you went to one of the others they would complain that they would have to take your trade in to a body shop to repair the holes left by the dealer logo plate......Of course with several hundred dollars spent!!!:censor:

I WILL NOT buy a car from a dealer that screws them on....PERIOD!!!:down:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Mike Poore
01-27-2006, 05:24 AM
PA has no front license plate requirement, and the front license bracket comes along in the trunk, as an accessory. Dealers up this way love to install the front bracket and put a tacky plate with their dealership advertising on it. I always make it perfectly clear that the bracket will not be installed, nor will there be any stickers on the rear bumper or trunk.

One salesman learned to his chagrin that I wasn't kidding when they installed the bracket/plate on the 88 Mustang 5.0 LX I waited three months to get, and had to replace the entire front fascia/red insert stripe. Lucky for them, they didn't drill holes in the trunk lid to install their cute little dealer emblem.

Marauderjack
01-27-2006, 05:44 AM
Smae here on the front plate!!!!!:argue: I Made everyone but the owner aware that I would make them replace the front facia if they put the bracket on!!:mad2: When I went to pick it up the owner was instructing a shop "grunt" to put it on and was told ASAP by my sales guy "that would be a BIG mistake"!! The owner agreed when he heard why and saw me!!:beer:

BTW.....The dealers in Charlotte not noly screw the logos on.....THEY SCREW THEM ON CROOKED!!!!:censor:

Marauderjack:down:

Bradley G
01-27-2006, 06:17 AM
no, I remove anything I don't like.Removing these items does not require much effort.Unless they drill holes.
I doubt many dealerships do this.
Think of this; no dealerships or sales people, no cars.

rookie1
01-27-2006, 06:23 AM
4 or 5 years years ago my wife and I were shopping for a Pontiac Grand Am. We found one she liked at a local dealer and I was set to pick it up the next day. We were paying cash and I had several conversations about the stickers(DO NOT PUT THEM ON) with the salesman. I get there the next morning, cashiers check in my hand and the car rolls out of the detailing area with a big fat sticker/sign on the trunk lid. I saw the sign and politely asked the salesman to have one the detail guys remove it. After a long song and dance and a talk with the mgr. the salesman comes back and tells me that they can't remove it according to the dealer's policy.
Needless to say I went home with the check still in my hand and no car leaving the salesman with a dumbfounded look on his face. I ended up buying the same car from a dealer in Detroit (our hometown) and driving it back home with no sign on it.

MM03MOK
01-27-2006, 06:45 AM
Needless to say I went home with the check still in my hand and no car leaving the salesman with a dumbfounded look on his face. I ended up buying the same car from a dealer in Detroit (our hometown) and driving it back home with no sign on it.And what do you want to bet they didn't learn anything from that lost sale!

Mike Poore
01-27-2006, 07:07 AM
...Unless they drill holes. I doubt many dealerships do this.
Think of this; no dealerships or sales people, no cars.

Bradley, I think most of 'em use stickers, these days; much cheaper, and they've learned many a sad lesson about drilling holes.

As for there not being dealers, or salesmen, the day may be coming, when we do it all, on line, and all they'll need to provide is a delivery and service facility.

Bluerauder
01-27-2006, 07:11 AM
I doubt many dealerships do this.
Obviously, you have not been in the Northern Virginia or Mid-Atlantic region. They ALL do it. From the responses on this thread, I'd say that the "problem" is pretty widespread. Yes, some of the stickers are easy to remove. Others not so easy to remove and some cause permanent damage --- but the point is ... why should I have to expend my effort &/or money to remove something that I didn't want in the first place, that I think detracts from the look of the car, provides me no benefit, and probably doesn't contribute one iota to the dealership's volume. Seems to me that it is an unnecessary expense that eventually gets buried into the cost of the vehicle.

Hotrauder
01-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Big Dog Jim feels really strongly about this, I think? Dennis

jerrym3
01-27-2006, 07:22 AM
I've never allowed a dealer to put anything on my car, otherwise it stays in the shop until the emblem is removed.

Unfortunately, my second owner 1958 Tbird (61,000 miles) has three holes drilled in the trunk where a "Hackensack Ford" metal plate once existed.

merc6
01-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Obviously, you have not been in the Northern Virginia or Mid-Atlantic region. They ALL do it. From the responses on this thread, I'd say that the "problem" is pretty widespread. Yes, some of the stickers are easy to remove. Others not so easy to remove and some cause permanent damage --- but the point is ... why should I have to expend my effort &/or money to remove something that I didn't want in the first place, that I think detracts from the look of the car, provides me no benefit, and probably doesn't contribute one iota to the dealership's volume. Seems to me that it is an unnecessary expense that eventually gets buried into the cost of the vehicle.Luckly the mazda dealership did do this to me ;) They used just the 2 frames. Now if you went to a md mazda dealership you would be lucky if the put warentied parts on the car let alone a sticker. We put out a Darcars do not go to sticky on most our forums. But yeah the trunklid badge was cool but that carmax inspection sticker in the window sucks cause you leave all the adheasive on when removing it. The car had tint before I got it s that meansI may be wrecking the tint to remove this garbage.

twolow
01-27-2006, 08:41 AM
I have always peeled them off the day I bought any of my previous cars. Its really to peel off as the sticker is usually fresh. Waiting weeks or months to do so would make it far harder to do.

STLR FN
01-27-2006, 08:51 AM
My solution would be to kick 'em right in the shin for doing what I told them not to do but that might land me in the pokey. So I just go home and promptly remove it. Just easier that way.

STLR FN
01-27-2006, 08:54 AM
When I placed an order for my '98 F-150 the dealer called me to say my truck was in. Go to pick it up only to find out the MFers pin-striped me truck. :mad2: Luckily for them it actually looked good on the truck and I liked it or I would beat the living piss outta someone. Didn't pay for it either. :D

They musta had this thing for pin-striping. The Mustang I traded in they promptly pin-striped it and placed it on the lot. Needless to say i don't deal with them anymore.

jim geary
01-27-2006, 08:59 AM
On mine there was a carmax sticker on the left rear right under the spoiler.
And when I removed it low and behold there was a real nice scratch. Should
have had them repaint but thought too much hastle with dealer.
Maybe I was wrong. I don't know.

Mad1
01-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Maybe we should charge them .... say $1.00 per day for the length of the car warranty ... 3 years/ 36 months for use of your vehicle as a mobile billboard.

I used to sell newspaper advertising early in my newspaper career, so I know what dealers are paying newspapers for ads. A $1 per day is chump change, your time is worth more than a sawbuck per day. Just calculate it by this ... A car is a 24/7 billboard ... the space for their sticker is "prime" viewing space viewed by "millions" certainly for the life of your car loan. For some of you NASCAR fans, imagine what those drivers are getting paid to put stickers on their cars ... now do you feel robbed?

I tell any dealers that I'm buying from ... no stickers, tags, etc. without a signed contract with me for advertising and my asking price is usually equal to the car. I don't let them use me to advertise for free and no one else should either.

Nothing should ever be free, even the little things. A contractor remodeling your house wants to put a sign up in your yard "advertising" his relationship with you ... why not make him put it in writing spelling out the details such as sign size and length of time it will be displayed by you and who has "right" of placement and giving you a $1,000 for your time and trouble. Otherwise, you're giving him a service, but getting nothing ... some deal for you.

These businesses assume that customers will allow it because folks don't complain loud enough. If everyone got pissed off and demanded money or killed the sales, you'd see a whole different attitude towards those types of "abuses" of their customer base.

Jeremy
Mad1

Bluerauder
01-27-2006, 09:23 AM
... your time is worth more than a sawbuck per day.
I didn't want to sound greedy. A buck a day for 3 years would knock another $1095 off the price. :D

But to be honest, not too many folks get to read my rear bumper at least not long enough .. til the words get really small. Right Mike !!! :rofl:

Vince84
01-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Yes, that's very irritating! My parents got ugly little plastic plates on the rear of the car. On my mothers car it already has some minor damage on the back, because of that useless dealerplates.

LordVader
01-27-2006, 10:23 AM
:flamer: Must agree with consensus..no free lunch!! Keep your stickers, plates and decals for some other sucker! They all try it, just some are better at camoflauge than others.

Dragcity
01-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Removing that crap was the first mod I did. Hair dryer and wax to remove the glue.

chicago_cop
01-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Just curious ....

When I took my car in for service I asked them to remove the ugly plastic emblem, and put something nice on it, and they put the silver letters that just said Scanlon on it. It looks fine. They were good about it.

Sully008
01-27-2006, 11:15 AM
On my Taurus they originally put a white sticker on a black car. I told them to switch it to a black sticker. The next time I went in for an oil change I had my friend remove the sticker completely 'cause I could still see it in the daylight.

marauder307
01-27-2006, 11:28 AM
I've gone both ways on this issue.

I kept the "Daytona Lincoln-Mercury" dealership sticker on the face of my trunklid. It doesn't look bad. The coloring is a dark shade of bronze/gold/yellow/whatever ya wanna call it, so it's not too glaring against the black. It's nostalgic for me too; I miss my beloved Daytona Beach...

Besides...to see something that says "Daytona Beach" on it, on the streets of Honolulu...that by itself starts conversations.

On the other hand...Jackson Auto Group out here in HI has taken some real liberties with the Hulk. The first time I took my car in for service there, they went ahead, without so much as a "by your leave", and bolted on a J-A-G license plate bezel on the back. I didn't spot it until after I walked back out to the car while leaving work that evening; about 2 mins. after I got home, that bezel found its way to the dumpster.

The second time I took the car in there, they decided to get real cocky with me and bolted bezels on both the front AND rear plates. :mad2: This resulted in 2 bezels in the dumpster, and combined with the cruddy work they did, a loss of my business at that dealership.

ckadiddle
01-27-2006, 11:28 AM
I hate the little stickers. Peel 'em off first day home. Blue Thunder had a front plate bracket on with dealer plate when I first met it on the lot. Few days later I was quite depressed to find four friggin screw hold through the bumper comver was how the bracket was attached to the car.

Haggis
01-27-2006, 12:22 PM
I've told all the dealers that I have purchased a car from, that if you place any stickers, decals or emblems on the car no deal and I walk.

ctrcbob
01-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Got a good one for you. About 30 years ago, I took my Black 1973 Pontiac Grand-Am in for service to Patrick Pontiac, in Rochester NY. (This car had been purchased from Ralph Pontiac, also in Rochester). When I went to pick car up, there was another customer there who was raising "Heck" with the service department because Patrick had removed another dealers sticker and replaced it with Patrick's Screw On plaque. This owner forced Patrick to remove their plaque, fill in the holes and repaint the trunk of his car.

BTW, do any of you "young guys" remember the 73 Grand-Am? Beautiful car. Last black car I had before my MM. It was the one with the "Soft Nose" and the Louvers over the rear quarter windows. If I had it today, I would be entering it in all the shows.

Mike Poore
01-27-2006, 02:58 PM
But to be honest, not too many folks get to read my rear bumper at least not long enough .. til the words get really small. Right Mike !!! :rofl:

I think it was your rear door I saw when we went through the traps.

However, I watched that damned thing flapping in the wind, the whole way from Barry's to Detroit.

Um, when are gonna go again. I just talked to Dan, and he said we can sit under his tent.

Bluerauder
01-27-2006, 04:43 PM
However, I watched that damned thing flapping in the wind, the whole way from Barry's to Detroit.
Looks like I am gonna have to break down and buy a Pro-Guard. :D

mrjones
01-27-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't like the little stickers, but if it were already on the car, I would take it off myself rather than risking the $5/hr bozo to do it without damaging the car. Not that I have anything against $5/hr bozos. I were one once.

Joe Walsh
01-27-2006, 05:27 PM
I've told all the dealers that I have purchased a car from, that if you place any stickers, decals or emblems on the car no deal and I walk.

Same here...It is THE deal breaker whenever I buy a new car.

NO friggin' stickers and NO friggin' license plate frames!

BTW: Hey Charlie, do you remember the A. MOORE Cadillac dealership in Northern Virginia?
They used to put a real chrome plated metal badge on the trunk that was an exact match to the "CADILLAC" script.
The trunk would read "A MOORE CADILLAC". It was the ONLY dealer stick-on that didn't look totally out of place.

Bluerauder
01-27-2006, 05:55 PM
BTW: Hey Charlie, do you remember the A. MOORE Cadillac dealership in Northern Virginia?
Moore Cadillac is still at Tyson's Corner with a branch out at Dulles. But now they are Cadillac-HUMMER !!! :rolleyes:

CBT
01-27-2006, 06:03 PM
I had them remove the dealer license plate frame when I picked mine up. "But its free" sez the salesman. "Then you're free to take that :censor: off my car" sez the Brute.Good one!:beer:

jgc61sr2002
01-27-2006, 06:21 PM
I always insist no stickers of any kind be affixed when purchasing a new vehicle. The license frames went in the trash.:D

seabreeze
01-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Amazing it took so long to get to this topic. Those Dealer add-ons are my biggest Pet Peeve. I told Demmer LM, give me a license plate cover, but I will create great havoc for your dealership if you so much as lay a sticker on the painted surface with your name on it.

Donny Carlson
01-27-2006, 06:38 PM
When I bought my 2000 Taurus from Jim Skinner Ford (notorious around here for their mind numbingly stupid TV commercials) I was getting myself a cup of coffee in their break room when my salesman came in to tell me my car was in make ready and would be delivered to me within the next hour, when I said loudly "Tell them not to put one of those ******ing Jim Skinner stickers on my car. I hate those f**ckin commercials and don't want anybody to know I bought a car here." The guy turned white, because sitting at a table a few feet away was the old man, Mr. Jim Skinner himself, reading the newspaper. He kinda gestured towards the table and said soto voce "ssst ..that's Mr. Skinner...."

Joe Walsh
01-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Moore Cadillac is still at Tyson's Corner with a branch out at Dulles. But now they are Cadillac-HUMMER !!! :rolleyes:

LOL.....So now they have a dealer 'sticker' that says; "MOORE HUMMERS"

Bluerauder
01-27-2006, 07:35 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

I guess "Monica Lewinsky" was too confusing to put on the sticker. :rofl:

QWK SVT
01-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Like everyone else, I had the metal 'sticker' removed, before delivery. I think my exact words were, "This blacked out car just doesn't need that extra crap on the back!"

I don't even allow the smog inspection stickers on my window. I couldn't get my plate stickers without it, so no thank you to the extra stickers!

Mike Poore
01-29-2006, 04:40 PM

Buy a Caddy, get a HUMMER. Kinda catchy, huh?:D