PDA

View Full Version : Post your dumbest construction accidents

CRUZTAKER
02-02-2006, 03:22 PM
CONSTRUCTION=Electric, carpentry, painting, etc.

This may prove interesting reading for awhile...:popcorn:

I'll start.

An hour ago I shot an 18awg 2" brad nail clean through my right index finger.
:stupid:

Missed the bone...and obviously the stud I was aiming for.:P

Hotrauder
02-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Hope that wasn't your business finger! Dennis:rolleyes:

Motorhead350
02-02-2006, 03:33 PM
It wasn't really my accident, but when I was driving home one night the lanes went from 2 to 1. There were orange plastic barrels on my right side sense the traffic was being forced to the left. Anyway I noticed a minivan kept trying to pass me and at one point i barely missed a barrel and the guy hit the thing. I thought it was pretty funny and it went flying past me on the right. I still remember it like it was 2am this morning.

STLR FN
02-02-2006, 03:39 PM
While at a younger age(12), I was living in base housing(dad was in the Navy) and everyone was leveling out the end of the courtyard, I managed to meet the end of a shovel with my forehead. Bled like a stuck pig but only needed a couple of butterflies and was good to go.

the_pack_rat
02-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Not really a construction mishap, but a work related one from when I was a teen.

A friend/co-worker asked me for something & I decided rather than simply tell him where it was ..... I was going to go show him, but try to be a comedian about it in the process, acting bothered & annoyed(again - only kidding).

We went over to this all metal supply cabinet & I forcefully grabbed one of the doors that was partially open, & threw it open real fast. We find whatever it was he needed ... but I felt a rather odd tingling in my hand. I go to look down at my hand & do one of those move all your finger manuevers ..... & I see a quickly increasing puddle of blood forming on the floor beneath my hand.

Hmmmmm ..... no wonder, got a small piece of a finger spilt open pretty good(I could see bone). Moron me at this point ... realized I didn't grab the metal door by any front facing handle, but by the edge, which sliced my finger right open w/o my even feeling it at first. Took 6 stitches to close it back up, scar still on my finger to this day.

Oddly enough .....

The friend/co-worker(not the same one mentioned above) who took me to the ER to get stitched up, a year or 2 later injured HER self while working(deli counter). At that point I was old enough to drive & had a car ..... so I ended up returning the favor of the stitch up trip to the ER.

RoyLPita
02-02-2006, 05:23 PM
When I was 7 years old, I got hit in the forehead point first by a triangle-shaped trowel. It was thrown at me by 3 year old neighbor. The way it came at me was like that one Three Stooges episode where everything being thrown sailed through the air while being attached to fishing line. I didn't need stitches (thanx God) but little Albert got a beating for it.

Paul T. Casey
02-02-2006, 05:31 PM
A couple years ago, I was painting the house. Being naturally anal about things, I had to get all the trim perfectly. Best way to do this is from the roof. I was painting away, doing a great job when BLAMO, the whole world stopped. It seems that the hot wire coming into the house, although insulated, carries quite a jolt if touched. Got a little burn on the inside of my arm, and quite a "shocked" look when Georgann wanted to know why I was already taking a break.

Bluerauder
02-02-2006, 05:34 PM

#1 Not me but ... My brother-in-law was using an industrial disk sander for some work at his house. The sander got away from him and jerked out of his hands. It fell and hit his leg carving out a nice little slab from his calf. Fortunately, it was falling away from him otherwise it might have cut a deep slash in his leg. Even so, he still carries a pretty good scar from the accident. :depress:

#2 Not me either ... but I was a participant. :rolleyes: I was about 17-18 years old and my father was up working on the roof. He asked me to get him a beer ... National Boh as I recall. I started to climb up the ladder and he said to just throw it up. Since the bottle was open, I did a nice underhanded spiral so as to minimize the spillage. Unfortunately, he misjudged the speed and it went right through his hands and the top of the bottle hit his glasses and shattered one of the lenses. I had to drive him to the hospital and spend much of the day while the doctors picked broken glass out of his eye. :o

#3 This one is me. While replacing the front door deadbolt and lock with a nice new brass assembly, I finished drilling and put the drill somewhere out of the way ... I thought. A little later I went to reach for another tool and ran the 1/8 inch drill bit about an inch into the heel of my right hand. If that wasn't bad enough, the drill fell off the shelf and dragged me to the floor since the bit was still in me. It hurt like hell for a long time and bled considerably. Good thing my tetanus shots were up to date. But despite the pain ... I mostly felt :stupid:

MarauderMark
02-02-2006, 05:38 PM
I had a mishap once with an airdhole. This kid my dad working for him we'll call him Airdhole was filling a crack in the side of one of our bulidings 2 stories up so he called me over to help him move the ladder over.now before i did i looked up and saw the cement bucket tired to the ladder and thought this is ok to until BAM@!@! i saw the bright lite put my hand on my head and was pouring .got 5 stitches for it.moral of this story watch yourselves when working with an Airdhole..
Airdhole= Mike Aird is an A**hole.

Paul T. Casey
02-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Back in the eighties when I was living in Mass., the local cable company decided to raise my rates and cut my channel list. I decided that I was going back to the antenna. Out the window and up the steeply pitched slate roof I went. It was a little drizzley that day. In my eagerness to eliminate the cable bill, I forgot how slippery a slate roof is. Slowly I slid down the roof, grasping at every imagined handhold. Off I went, directly onto the $300 shrub I just trimmed, breaking nearly every branch as gravity had its way with me. My poor neighbor across the street saw this event. In his haste to see if I was okay, which I was, he slipped in the mud, spraining his already damaged hip. Later, over a beer or two, we both had a good laugh about it. I decided to keep CATV, and he decided not to join the EMS.

Bluerauder
02-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Slowly I slid down the roof, grasping at every imagined handhold. Off I went, directly onto the $300 shrub I just trimmed, breaking nearly every branch as gravity had its way with me.
Be careful up on the roof Paul. I lost a friend of mine about 10 years ago. He was a co-worker somewhat older than I was. Short story was that he lost his balance up on the roof of his house cleaning gutters of all things and did a header into the driveway. :( He never regained consciousness but lingered in a coma for nearly 2 months before he passed on. :bigcry: R.I.P. John.

My wife has a fit anytime I go up on the roof which has been getting less and less lately. ;)

Joe Walsh
02-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Not me (luckily), but a good friend of mine was re-habbing a rowhome.
He was cutting off old nails that were sticking up out of the floor joists with an abrasive bladed circular saw.
Just as the blade cuts through a nail, it shoots the red-hot nail head UP HIS NOSTRIL! :eek:
He jumps up screaming and frantically swats at his nose with both hands in an attempt to dislodge the smoldering nail head.
He finally knocks it loose and calms down; Then, in an attempt to relax, he puts out one arm to lean against the wall studs,
promptly JAMMING HIS OPEN PALM ONTO AN EXPOSED.....you guessed it...NAIL!

Bigdogjim
02-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Sorry but I am banned from using power tools or a hammer:laugh:

Paul T. Casey
02-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Back in my younger days, I used to cut lawns for spending cash. I was an expert. Was over my buddy's house one day, and his folks said we could go to the beach after the lawn was mowed. We were almost done when the mower ran out of gas. No biggie, I was a pro. I overfilled the tank, of course. No biggie, a match should clean up this mess. About 5 minutes later, we got to see the firemen work. The mower was a loss, the carport was salvaged.

Paul T. Casey
02-02-2006, 06:57 PM
During my late teens, early twenties, I had this Duster. Said Duster had a bad carb, liked to flood when it was hot. Anyway, i briught these two girls to their home from the beach. My have been embibing. On the way home I had to take a leak, so I stopped on the highway and took care of business. I heard the car stall. It wouldn't start. By this time, I knew if I too the air cleaner off, enough air would get in and it would start. I took off the top, and looked into the offending carb. I may have forgot that I had a lit cigarette in my mouth. Poof, flames all around my head. Instinct kicked in. About the time the roadsand was leaving my hand on its way to the fire, I realized that was a mistake. I spent the next day shop vaccing the manifold and finally rebuilding the carb.

pantheroc
02-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Was putting in my deck a few years back, and I was using a bobcat with a posthole digging attachment. I was drilling in a corner near the house and my brother was watching the bit making sure I didn't come to close to the siding. All of a sudden sparks start flying out of the meter box on the wall:eek: . Looked like the shark in Jaws biting the electric cable. My brother freaked out because I now hit the siding and shot sparks from that, and ended up burning a hole in through the aluminum siding. I shut the bobcat off and was about to get out of it. Then I realized it was LIVE . I sat back down, started it back up and pulled the bit out of the ground. I almost ***** myself.

I had the utilities come out and mark the underground utilities before I dug. They didn't tell me they put a loop in the corner for ground settling. I ended up pulling one of the two hots going in the meter box and pulled it accross the opposite hot in the box. It completely melted the terminal inside. One of the hots was still funtional, so half the lights in the house still worked, but the air conditioning compressor was starting to act up. Went down and shut the breakers off. WHEW!

Now the hole is a coversation piece. Believe it or not, it is in a perfect spot for an outlet!

O's Fan Rich
02-02-2006, 08:42 PM

This may prove interesting reading for awhile...:popcorn:

I'll start.

An hour ago I shot an 18awg 2" brad nail clean through my right index finger.
:stupid:

Missed the bone...and obviously the stud I was aiming for.:P

Does cutting down a 30+ foot pine tree the wrong way count?

CBT
02-02-2006, 08:57 PM
I was replacing siding on my garage once and was up to the last two pieces at the top, in the front. I nailed one in, climbed down the ladder to move the ladder and about 2 seconds after I tilted the ladder back the lights went out for a few seconds. I had left the hammer on the top rung about 10 feet above me. The claw side clipped the side of my head and man did it bleed.

StevenJ
02-02-2006, 09:09 PM
When I was 7 years old, I got hit in the forehead point first by a triangle-shaped trowel. It was thrown at me by 3 year old neighbor. The way it came at me was like that one Three Stooges episode where everything being thrown sailed through the air while being attached to fishing line. I didn't need stitches (thanx God) but little Albert got a beating for it.

I can't top some of your other stories but I can top your childhood story. When I was seven, my dad and I were working on creating a switch box for my model train set so I could run two tracks at once. Well my dad left some of the drill bits on the floor and I accidently stepped on one and it went through my foot about a inch and a half into it. It actually wasn't that bad but it was hard to walk for a few days after that.

Leadfoot281
02-02-2006, 11:32 PM
I bought a brand new $1,900 27 speed Bontrager mountain bike in 1999. Naturally I had to ride it to work to show it off. Off I went, at 5:30 am , couldn't see my hand in front of my face, right thru a lightless construction zone. Why go around it when I can go through it?

The bike was a joy to ride. Quiet, smooth and very fast and responsive. I ripped right through the gravel, past the bobcats, and around the "keep out" signs. The "clipless" pedels kept my feet FIRMLY attached to the bike for extra speed. For those of you who don't know, "clipless" pedels are like ski-bindings. You have to twist you're foot slightly to get out of them, like you're crushing out a smoke.

Coming home from work was another matter though. In broad daylight I tore through the same construction zone again. WHAM!! I'm laying on the ground, looking up at the cloudless, summer sky. WTF?!

That's when I noticed the yellow 1/2" nylon cord around my neck. I had hit a rope used to guide pedestrians across the road from a parking lot on my right to the hospital on my left. My neck had actually stopped my 170lbs and a 24lb bike traveling at least 20 mph. The clipless pedals hadn't disconnected.

I had a very neat "rope-burn" scab that ran from ear to ear, the rest of the summer. It was f'n hideous looking!

juno
02-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Mine isn't about personal injury but it was devastating.

In 92, putting an addition on my house in NH I was cutting out a window opening with a sawzall and cut right through a 6 pack of beer someone had hung on a nail on the other side of the wall.:eek:

Larry Durham
02-03-2006, 07:10 AM
During my late teens, early twenties, I had this Duster. Said Duster had a bad carb, liked to flood when it was hot. Anyway, i briught these two girls to their home from the beach. My have been embibing. On the way home I had to take a leak, so I stopped on the highway and took care of business. I heard the car stall. It wouldn't start. By this time, I knew if I too the air cleaner off, enough air would get in and it would start. I took off the top, and looked into the offending carb. I may have forgot that I had a lit cigarette in my mouth. Poof, flames all around my head. Instinct kicked in. About the time the roadsand was leaving my hand on its way to the fire, I realized that was a mistake. I spent the next day shop vaccing the manifold and finally rebuilding the carb.

After reading your posts,I may be wrong but doesn't your present occupation involve working inside nuclear power plants?:help:

Bluerauder
02-03-2006, 08:55 AM
... and cut right through a 6 pack of beer someone had hung on a nail on the other side of the wall.:eek:
Just a "short" beer please !!! :rofl:

CRUZTAKER
02-03-2006, 08:57 AM
I knew this would be amusing reading....but geez...

It's a wonder some of are alive, and still maintaining all of our appendages!!:P

Haggis
02-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I knew this would be amusing reading....but geez...

It's a wonder some of are alive, and still maintaining all of our appendages!!:P
Barry, were you possibly drinking at the time or before the nail went through your finger?? :rolleyes:

mcb26
02-03-2006, 09:36 AM
After reading your posts,I may be wrong but doesn't your present occupation involve working inside nuclear power plants?:help:

That would explain the blue glow to the north west.towards Browns Ferry;)
When ya'll want to get together Paul?

Ozz
02-03-2006, 10:15 AM
1. I was trying to get the battery cable off my car in high school with a long screwdriver... I pried up, the screwdriver slipped and the end rammed up my nose. No brain, sinus, nose damage...:rolleyes:

2. Building a stud wall as it laid on the ground. I was using a stud nailer to attach the studs to the bottom plate. I held the stud in my left hand while I worked the gun with my right. One nail went in and hit a knot, came out the side and went pretty deep into my left ring finger. Again, no permanant damage.

3. Again, using a nailer - this time a brad nailer, to attach some 1x trim outside a house. I shot a nail in at a corner and the nail split out and went into my left thumb - right under the nail - between the nail and 'meat' of the thumb. I had to pull it out before I could bend my thumb because the nail went in all the way past the first joint. No permanant damage.

'Other' - belt sander to the leg, dropped hot solder on my bare leg, etc.

A guy I knew actually shot his boss in the eye with a nail gun. He was working on the other side of a wall and the nail missed the stud and went through the wall. He lost his eye...:pirate:

Not a construction accident but I was playing basketball with my neighbor in a city league. He tried to slap the ball out of my hand and got me in the eye with his finger. The impact kind of 'stunned' some of the nerves for awhile. For about a week one eye wouldn't line up with the other one and my lid was lazy... they thought it may be permanant but in about a week I was fine. ALTHOUGH, the same guy did the same thing to another guy in the same league later that year and TOOK HIS EYE OUT! :pirate:
Needless to say, he is not welcome in that league any longer.

SergntMac
02-03-2006, 10:41 AM
I ain't tellin' youse snit!

Ain't got nuttin tasay nope...

MM03MOK
02-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Note to Self: don't be playing Ozz! :shake:

Bluerauder
02-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Could be that we were the 5%ers before we became the 2%ers !!! :rofl: Anyone else see a recurring theme with roof, electric and nailgun incidents ??? ;)

chucky
02-03-2006, 02:32 PM
A couple years ago I’m adjusting valves & as I was barring the engine around my index finger got caught between the ratchet, fan blade & frame rail. So now I’m stuck luckily I was able to reach a shop rag to put over the fan & turn the engine enough to free myself.

Man did it bleed I had to have my wife drive me to the hospital, I guess she was a little upset & mad because as I was walking around the front of the car she rolled into me good thing it was a Toyota & not a MM.