PDA

View Full Version : Catted X or Off road X

STLR FN
02-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Pipe that is. What is most everyone using? I was thinking bout going with an Off-Road X and have the rear O2 turned off or get MIL Eliminators. Opinions please.

MarauderMarc
02-02-2006, 04:42 PM
i heard its a 1-4 rwhp difference.I have 2 cats and an x pipe (kooks) and its great. might as well get them because if the po-lice see it, you have to fix it.

STLR FN
02-02-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm not worried bout the HP gain, just seeing who uses them and how they like them. That's all.

Joe Walsh
02-02-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm running 2 high flow Cats and an X-pipe from Kooks.
(plus 18" S.S. Magnaflows)
I really like the unique sound it makes.
The X-pipe changes the sound of the exhaust....It makes a higher pitch than an H-pipe system.
From inside the car it kinda sounds like a Ferrari when it winds up near the redline. I've never heard it from outside the car, but I've been told that it is LOUD!

P.S. We've got no choice in Maryland...emmissions tests every other year, so it isn't worth the few HPs to run without CATS.

RR|Suki
02-02-2006, 07:26 PM
x-pipe and 2 high flows here... in the car not too loud. Spool up is nice, deffinately different from the h-pipe... I also am running more litres so I dunno if my sound counts. Very loud outside I'm told though... and I still have ressonators in my tips.

Warpath
02-03-2006, 02:33 PM
No cats is pretty loud. I have BBK LTs, O/R X, and Borla catback on my Cobra and its loud. My dad drove behind me on the highway and said all he could hear was me. If you wish to draw attention to yourself, get the O/R X.

For those outside of MI, MI doesn't have emissions checks. So, no one looks for cats.

Breadfan
02-03-2006, 04:53 PM
I've never heard it from outside the car, but I've been told that it is LOUD!

FYI, you never know where Breadfan and his vid cam might be...this is you!!
http://www.neuralimpulse.com/walshmm.avi

;)

As for a non-CAT pipe, we in VA have the same problem - yearly emissions with a visual check.

Personally I see only one reason to go non-CAT and that is for the sound. Cats can muffle the exhaust a bit. Only other option is if you like the smell on non-catted exhaust. Otherwise the hp gain is usually insignificant when compared to high-flow cats. Oh, third option is that non-catted pipes ARE cheaper...

Considering the amount of emissions you cut down on, and the minimal hp loss these days, unless you REALLY crave the extra sound and smell might as well make life easy and go with cats.