PDA

View Full Version : Using the site wrong?

SMOKE
02-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Seems like if I log in over different PC's at different locations throughout a given day I lose the ability to recap the latest posts. I see that if I log in and poke around a bit....I can't go back and check the latests posts from my home PC (for an instance in the evening from home....yes I check from work during the day...don't tell my boss...) without spoiling things I viewed during the day.

For instance, I logged in yesterday, but tonite I want to catch all the latest posts and all I got was 7. Seems to me there is a lot more traffic than that I can catch up with.

I don't mind mining the individual forums (lead to 1,000x the information I'll ever need as a new owner/fan of the MM and this site) but I'd like to catch up without losing the latest posts just because I'm frequenting the site from different PC's and locations.

I'm a n00bie so pardon my indiscretion...

hitchhiker
02-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Seems like if I log in over different PC's at different locations throughout a given day I lose the ability to recap the latest posts. I see that if I log in and poke around a bit....I can't go back and check the latests posts from my home PC (for an instance in the evening from home....yes I check from work during the day...don't tell my boss...) without spoiling things I viewed during the day.

For instance, I logged in yesterday, but tonite I want to catch all the latest posts and all I got was 7. Seems to me there is a lot more traffic than that I can catch up with.

I don't mind mining the individual forums (lead to 1,000x the information I'll ever need as a new owner/fan of the MM and this site) but I'd like to catch up without losing the latest posts just because I'm frequenting the site from different PC's and locations.

I'm a n00bie so pardon my indiscretion...

In short, a web site cannot 'know' what you've already seen without leaving cookies which store information on the computer you were using to surf the net.

If you use another computer, this information will not be available, or it would not be in sync with the information from your previous online session.

Any website functionality based on this information would operate in an unpredictable manner and produce unpredictable results.

:D

SMOKE
02-03-2006, 11:45 PM
10-4

I consider myself somewhat savvy as an occupational hazard...been pluggin around the site all night and noticed more posts available by clicking New Posts (including your generous reply)....just new to this type of site/forums/interface...

Proceeding to learn and have fun. . .

rocknrod
02-03-2006, 11:56 PM
.........:D
What he said.

BruteForce
02-04-2006, 12:02 AM
In short, a web site cannot 'know' what you've already seen without leaving cookies which store information on the computer you were using to surf the net.

If you use another computer, this information will not be available, or it would not be in sync with the information from your previous online session.

Any website functionality based on this information would operate in an unpredictable manner and produce unpredictable results.

:D

Actually there is a server side record of what has been viewed/read based on your last visit. I can login from the laptop in the living room and the site knows what I already viewed based on the date/time of my last visit using the PC in my office.

Now if you aren't logged in when you view the site, you're browsing as a "guest" and it won't log a visit for your user name.

hitchhiker
02-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Actually there is a server side record of what has been viewed/read based on your last visit. I can login from the laptop in the living room and the site knows what I already viewed based on the date/time of my last visit using the PC in my office.

Now if you aren't logged in when you view the site, you're browsing as a "guest" and it won't log a visit for your user name.

The server side records are configurable. Some sites store more than others while some sites use more cookies on the user's computer. Commercial sites like home banking etc. tend to record more information on the server side.

Regards,

Dave