PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Rear Wheel Drive, V8 Impala SS

Donny Carlson
02-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Motor Trend, March 2006, "Chevy goes rear drive!" says that, along with the new Camaro, Chevy will bring to market a rear wheel drive Impala, including an SS model with either the 400 horse 6 liter LS2 or the 505 horse LS7. The same LS7 may find it's way into the Camaro SS.

The tranny choice predicted is the new GM 6L80 six speed automatic and the Tremac T56 for the SS models.

They say expect these for MY 2009 or 2010.

ncmm
02-04-2006, 08:23 PM
well it's about friggin' time, the only thing fwd is good for in a performance car is. . .well. . .um. . .nothing I can think of!

hitchhiker
02-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Ford better get the Marauder right next time with the 5.4 SC motor!

Still hoping for another MM in 07/08...

:D

Donny Carlson
02-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Ford better get the Marauder right next time with the 5.4 SC motor!

Still hoping for another MM in 07/08...

:D

This news will certainly help. Ford may respond to the new high performance sedan with one of their own.

STLR FN
02-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Bout damn time for GM to go RWD. Ford won't bring back another Hi-Po sedan, they just killed the SVT Adrenalin.

bigslim
02-04-2006, 09:10 PM
With SVT being put on hold I don't think Ford will enter into the high performance sedan market. They have commited themselves to building 250,000 hybrid vehicles by 2010. They want to be known as a "Green Company".

Donny Carlson
02-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Bout damn time for GM to go RWD. Ford won't bring back another Hi-Po sedan, they just killed the SVT Adrenalin.

Yeah, this blows:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060203/AUTO01/602030367/1148

I figured the GT was going to stop production, but not bring out the Adrenalin? Crap.

Marty, better get your order in soon. They stop building GT's in September.

Bowman9
02-05-2006, 12:59 AM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/collector_cars/1267366.html?page=1&c=y

Published on: September 9, 2001

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/tb_caprice_ss_lead.jpg

This is the Chevy Caprice SS that's sold in the Middle East.

What you're about to read will not make you happy. In fact, it may make you sick. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Okay, here it is. Chevrolet builds and sells V8-powered, 300-plus-horsepower, rear-wheel-drive sedans in the Middle East. It also sells what is essentially a V8-powered, rear-wheel-drive El Camino in Australia. That's right, Saudi Arabians and Australians are able to enjoy such machinery, while Americans are stuck driving V6-powered, front-wheel-drive pedestrian sedans.

What gives? Your guess is as good as ours.

At a recent GM Powertrain event at Irwindale Speedway in Irwindale, Calif., we were able to drive two of these overseas-marketed vehicles, the Middle East market Chevrolet Caprice LTZ sold in the Middle East, and the Holden Ute marketed in Australia. (The Chevrolet Lumina, which is also sold in the Middle East, was not sampled.) Both vehicles managed big smoky burnouts and quarter-mile runs of little more than 15 seconds.

We were so impressed we asked GM's public relations staff for information about these cars, but they didn't have much to offer. The best they could do was give us a GM Middle East Web site address, www.gmme.com. There we learned more, but not as much as we would have liked. And when it came to the Ute, GM Communications offered up nothing. But here's what we know.

Chevrolet Caprice
In the Middle East, Chevrolet has a full lineup. Five of the vehicles—Malibu, Cavalier, Venture, Corvette and Camaro—seem to be the same as the U.S. models. The Caprice, however, is different than anything Chevy sells in America. It's a sedan about the size of a Toyota Avalon. It features bucket seats, a four-speed automatic transmission with a floor shifter and four-wheel disc brakes. Under the hood is a 5.7-liter Generation III small-block V8. In the LTZ and LS models, the engine makes 295 hp. And in the SS model—yes, you read right, the SS model—the engine pumps out a very healthy 325 hp. The SS also gets 17-in. wheels and tires, and a sport-tuned suspension.

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/lumina_2001-sm.jpg

Chevrolet Lumina
Also available in the Middle East is the Lumina, only it's not the Lumina that Chevy sold here a few years ago. No, this Lumina is a version of the Opel Omega, which we know in this country as the Cadillac Catera. Only our Catera isn't offered with a 325-hp 5.7-liter V8 like the Lumina SS, which also gets a sport suspension, an aggressive body kit, 17-in. wheels and a six-speed manual transmission. And if that's not insulting enough, we've learned that GM sells a 405-hp version of this car in Australia called the Holden HSV GTS-R. The other Lumina trim levels, the LTZ and the wagon, are powered by the same 215-hp V6 that motivates our Catera.

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/img_hero.jpg

Holden Ute
The Ute is essentially an El Camino with a funny name. We have no doubt that it would be a huge hit in America. Think Regis Philbin eating bugs on "Survivor." The Ute, which is sold by Holden (GM of Australia), is car-based, has a 5.7-liter V8, a four-speed automatic transmission, 17-in. wheels and tires, and an independent rear suspension. Inside there are bucket seats, full instrumentation and a floor shifter.

Make It Happen
We want these cars to be sold in America. We hope you do, too, which is why we're starting a petition campaign to make it happen. If you want versions of the Caprice, the Lumina and the Ute to be sold in the United States, e-mail us at popularmechanics@hearst.com and write "Chevy overseas" on the Subject line. All e-mail received will be forwarded to the powers that be at Chevrolet. We promise.

Bowman9
02-05-2006, 02:14 AM
I was going through the GM Middle Eastern website www.gmme.com and found that the GMME Lumina SS is the same as our Pontiac GTO.
Only that the SS has a better looking front end.

Two door:
http://www.gmme.com/content_data/LAAM/ME/en/GBPME/001/G1/1S/1S_home.html?cntryCd=BH

Four door:
http://www.chevroletmylife.com/chevroletmylife/lumina/home_eng.aspx

I wonder if the GTO guys know about this???

Mike Poore
02-05-2006, 03:43 AM
SELL YOUR FORD STOCK...SELL IT NOW...ALL OF IT!

MikesMerc
02-05-2006, 07:19 AM
SELL YOUR FORD STOCK...SELL IT NOW...ALL OF IT!

Too late. At a little over $8 a share its already dropped into oblivion. At this price you might as well wait and see what happens now.:depress:

TripleTransAm
02-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Just to provide a little perspective:

By 2009 will there be a market for a RWD V8 sedan? (you know, because GM is so in tune with the market)

Petrograde
02-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Too late. At a little over $8 a share its already dropped into oblivion. At this price you might as well wait and see what happens now.:depress:

When it drops below $5 a share I may pick up a several hundred shares. I love a good sale! :P

Back on track,.... When I was in Kuwait in '03 I saw a bunch of Chevy RWD Impalas & Caprices,.. not to mention, many CV's and GM's. Those people seem to love our big ass American cars over there.

Also, gas was priced around 70 cents a gallon (after you convert for liters and do the math)

QWK SVT
02-05-2006, 09:29 AM

By 2009 will there be a market for a RWD V8 sedan? (you know, because GM is so in tune with the market)

Honestly, I think there will be a market, but not near as large as there is, currently. I will be a part of that market. I am comfortable spending extra money (in purchase price and ongoing costs) so that I can drive a vehicle I thoroughly enjoy.

My vehicle is much more than just a mode of transportation. Heck, I'm even willing to replace perfectly good parts, with better parts, to make the vehicle more enjoyable. Obviously, most people on this board are the same. But, we are (unfortunately) the minority, though (just look at how many Marauder owners are on the board, vs. not). Most people are more concerned with overall costs...

So, the writing is on the wall - we are in a hi-tech parallel with the late 60's, in this new age horsepower war. Half-sized, turbocharged I4's and V6's providing reasonably quick 250HP family cars... Step up to the next level, and there are more than a few 400HP+ cars are on the market, with several more getting ready to roll out.

But, like the late 60's/early 70's, gas prices are on the rise, too... You can't tell me that the impacts of the gas prices won't be felt in the showrooms, as well. You can see the trend to small starting, already.

At the Detroit Auto Show, most of the automakers (Ford, Toyota, Nissan and Honda, off-the-top) were busy hawking their ittsie-bittsie, teenie-weenie offerings, starting to break the trend of bigger and thirstier SUVs, trucks and HiPo cars. 40 Years ago, it was Volkswagen running their first American ads, the headline for which ad read: “Think Small.” It was the Bug, my friends.

Get ready for more bugs, my friends :alone:

StevenJ
02-05-2006, 10:05 AM

This post is sacralige! Now if you were making fun of the HHR, I'd understand but the RWD sedan market is a never dying market. Sure, engine choices change but one look at the sport sedan and luxury sedan market right now and over the past ten years or so will tell you that the large RWD sedan market is very steady.

TripleTransAm
02-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Sure, engine choices change but one look at the sport sedan and luxury sedan market right now and over the past ten years or so will tell you that the large RWD sedan market is very steady.

"Sure, engine choices change"

Thanks, that's my point.

The nature of the sports sedan might not be the same 5 years down the line.

Right now the market is perhaps more receptive for a V8 RWD large sedan. 5 years from now, the RWD sport/luxury sedan might involve high-tech ultra-high efficiency powertrains. Perhaps multiple electric motors offering mind-numbing performance and a balanced chassis... who knows. The point is that traditionally, GM comes knocking at the door to a party just as the guests are leaving.

The sport sedan they show up with just might not look like what the market is expecting or wanting.

Ford is taking a gamble on what the market will look like 5 years from now. Maybe they'll completely miss the mark and it will hurt big time, but at least they are taking a forward direction and not spreading the resources thin by covering all possible bases. If they read the future correctly, they'll be the right car company at the right time with the right products... it'll be a rebirth.
If anything, it's a step in the right direction to eliminating the blue puffs of smoke! :lol:

Edit: I just recalled the C&D article I read last night about the Buick Lucerne. A V8 FWD jelly bean... something that would have sold well 5 years ago. Now?

Donny Carlson
02-05-2006, 10:53 AM
"Sure, engine choices change"

First, I must address Lincoln's decision to mimic Cadillac's move to eliminate model names for alphabetic desginations. Actually, I think Acura did it before Caddy, but nevermind. Lincoln will stop calling models by names (Aviator, Navigator, Town Car, Zepher) and use alphbetical designations. The new what was to be Aviator will be the Lincoln MKX, for example. They want people to say "Lincoln" instead of Aviator.

Anywho, I think they are on the right track with the MKS, which will be their flagship V8 sedan, in this case, AWD:

http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/01/MKS_Teaser_04_HR_1.jpg
The Lincoln MKS features heated and cooled seats with 14-way power adjustments, a panoramic glass roof, adaptive LED head lights, advanced navigation system, Bluetooth and DVD-audio surround sound. A powerful 315-horsepower V-8 engine is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission, intelligent all-wheel drive and Lincoln’s first sedan with 20-inch wheels.

twolow
02-05-2006, 12:06 PM
I about spit up my food when I read the post about the Ford GT stopping production....my mind was reading Ford Mustang GT stopping production.

I am ok now, my heart is again beating.

StevenJ
02-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Yeah Donny but it is a Yahama V8 with a Volvo platform and an outsourced six speed automatic transmission. Very little of it will be Ford if it all. Atleast, North Amiercan Ford.

Donny Carlson
02-05-2006, 12:31 PM
It's a Holden Caprice, also sold all over Asia as the Statesman.

The new Impala SS is gonna be a US or North American made car. Well, let's hope so.

That said, I would LOVE it if GM put this in production and imported it as the Bel Aire:

http://www.holden.com.au///images/gallery/imagegallery/efijy/Efijy1_640x480.jpg

http://www.holden.com.au///images/gallery/imagegallery/efijy/Efijy2_640x480.jpg
http://www.holden.com.au///images/gallery/imagegallery/efijy/Efijy4_640x480.jpg

http://www.holden.com.au///images/gallery/imagegallery/efijy/Efijy5_640x480.jpg
http://www.holden.com.au///images/gallery/imagegallery/efijy/Efijy6_640x480.jpg

MikesMerc
02-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Ford is taking a gamble on what the market will look like 5 years from now. Maybe they'll completely miss the mark and it will hurt big time, but at least they are taking a forward direction and not spreading the resources thin by covering all possible bases. If they read the future correctly, they'll be the right car company at the right time with the right products... it'll be a rebirth.

There are a good number of inside analysts here in Detroit that seems to think Ford is indeed doing the right thing. As a Tier One supplier, we know that we are very happy with their moves. The world's energy supplies will continue to be stretched as more 3rd world countries come into industrial revolution. That's inevitable. Ford is gambling...but it may be the smart bet. It may not be an exciting direction for automobile enthusaists, but its a smart move according to many. Just take a look at what direction Toyota is going.

Donny Carlson
02-05-2006, 01:02 PM
It may not be an exciting direction for automobile enthusaists, but its a smart move according to many. Just take a look at what direction Toyota is going.

"Rivals sought to tone down the hype, citing the high cost of the cars to manufacturers and consumers and claiming "inflated truths" about vastly improved mileage. Hybrids put together a conventional combustion engine and an electric motor to save fuel.

"I hate selling cars at a loss," Nissan Motor and Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn told reporters, saying hybrids were not a profitable proposition.
Nissan will bring out its first hybrid with the Altima sedan later this year, but says it was only because average fleet fuel economy regulations in California require it.

Ghosn repeated that Nissan, Japan's second-biggest automaker, will bring a diesel passenger vehicles to the United States.

Even Honda Motor, which introduced the first hybrid car to the United States with the two-seater Insight in 1999, is not ready to endorse hybrids as the future mainstream for green cars (http://news.com.com/Powering+a+new+generation+of+c ars/2100-1022_3-5845817.html?tag=nl) just yet.

"We'll figure out over the next year whether hybrids are a cost-effective proposal for big-volume production," Chief Executive Takeo Fukui said recently. "By no means have we reached that conclusion yet."

Honda has said that zero-emission fuel-cell vehicles (http://news.com.com/2300-11389_3-6025165-1.html?tag=nl) should be the ultimate goal for the industry, since supply of its power source, hydrogen, is inexhaustible.

The most vocal challenge against gasoline-electric hybrids came from Germany's DaimlerChrysler, which zealously supported diesel engines (http://news.com.com/Biodiesel+guru+sees+fuel+joini ng+mainstream/2100-11395_3-6025467.html?tag=nl). Diesels get 20 percent to 40 percent better fuel economy than gasoline vehicles and now power more than half of all cars sold in Europe.

Indeed, hybrids have increasingly faced sobering publicity about the "myth" of real-life fuel economy. Many drivers have reported to be disillusioned about underperforming the advertised mileage on their hybrids, which are most effective in stop-and-go city driving but help little on highways.

StevenJ
02-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Hybrids really aren't the mainstream future vehicle. Diesel powered cars have a much better chance of becomming the mainstream. Diesel engines get much better real world MPG and only cost a little more than a comparable gasoline engine, about $2,000 more, and are not at all complex. If anything, diesels are simplier than gasoline engines because there is no combustion, no spark plugs. Diesels run on pure compression and they can also be ran off vegtable oil if needed.

For thoose of you who sit here and don't really know, there are many other large deposits of oil in the world outside of the Middle East. Alberta in Canada has one of the world's largest oil deposits, estimated to be far greater than even Saudi Arabia's. Companines like Chevron have already invest billions of dollars and are drilling in the fields in Canada. The problem is is that the oil is mixed in with the hard earth making it harder to extract than oil in the middle east. But with as high as the barrel is today to purchase, it is becomming more pheasable to just drill more in Canada. Hybrids in my opinion are a gimick and I have good reasons for believing this. Their cost and complexity is absurd for the gains gained. A Prius, a mid twenty thousand dollar vehicle only gets about 15 more mpg on average than the Corrolla, a vehicle which is of the same rough dimensions in terms of size as the Prius and only costs around thirteen thousand. Even the Ford Escape hybrid costs just over five thousand more than the comparable four cylinder escape which gets comparable gas millage. It would take a decade in most cases even if gas went up to four dollars a gallon to make up the difference in cost.

In my opinon, rather than putting everything on hybrids, which are a waste because they will never truely take off, Ford should invest more in either ethanol or other renewable fuels or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. Either one of these vehicle types could be the potential future for our ecconomy. Thank fully, Ford has invest greatly into ethanol and alternative fueled vehicles already. You can go out and buy a Ranger, Explorer, Crown Victoria, or F-150 that can run off E85 today if you wanted to. I think Bill should just worry about more immediate issues right now like updating ignored products like the Ranger, Focus, and panther cars.

TooManyFords
02-05-2006, 03:21 PM
If anything, diesels are simplier than gasoline engines because there is no combustion, no spark plugs. Diesels run on pure compression and they can also be ran off vegtable oil if needed.

Actually, there has to be combustion to force the piston back down or the game is over before it starts. Indeed, it has no spark plug but that is replaced with a glow plug to warm things up when it is cold.

And I can't comment on the last statement, but I've never heard of a diesel running on vegatable oil. :P "Fill 'er up, MAZOLA please!" Lol!

As far as the thread is concerned, I'm not sure what Ford has in mind but I support it. Green, Gold, or whatever color it is, there certainly does need to be a change. I too think that Hydrogen fuel cell cars will become the future and whoever masters that first will win. I wonder if you can supercharge a fuel cell car?

Cheers

John

StevenJ
02-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Actually, there has to be combustion to force the piston back down or the game is over before it starts. Indeed, it has no spark plug but that is replaced with a glow plug to warm things up when it is cold.

And I can't comment on the last statement, but I've never heard of a diesel running on vegatable oil. :P "Fill 'er up, MAZOLA please!" Lol!

As far as the thread is concerned, I'm not sure what Ford has in mind but I support it. Green, Gold, or whatever color it is, there certainly does need to be a change. I too think that Hydrogen fuel cell cars will become the future and whoever masters that first will win. I wonder if you can supercharge a fuel cell car?

Cheers

John

Yeah it does sound funny but read up. It's not entirely vegtableoil, you have to mix it with a few other ingredients, I'm really not all that sure. It does work though, as well as diesel but it will make your car smell like fried food. I don't think you can supercharge a fuel cell car. They are electric cars power by fuel cells. I personally hope they do not win out in the future. It will mean doom for the ICE motor. Either way, despite what all the greenie liberals might spew, the world has no shortage of oil. The question is how do we extract that oil and will we be able to refine that oil on a large enough scale to fulfil demand.

Bowman9
02-05-2006, 11:16 PM
...Yeah it does sound funny but read up. It's not entirely vegtableoil, you have to mix it with a few other ingredients, I'm really not all that sure. It does work though, as well as diesel but it will make your car smell like fried food...

There was an episode on "Trucks" where Stacey made bio-diesel out of used vegtable oil and some other ingredients, poured it into a brand new Dodge diesel pickup truck and smoked the tires off of it.
It left an odor of frenchfries and cost less than a dollar a gallon to make.

Bio-diesel can be made out of any plantlife (oil extract) and you don't have to design a new engine for it run in.

I say we open up a fastfood resturant that also makes bio-diesel so that you make a profit from the used oil.

Just my $.02

cpprice
02-07-2006, 04:12 AM
I'm not sure where it came from, but a friend sent me this pic of 2007 Crown Vic.

RF Overlord
02-07-2006, 04:51 AM
I just recalled the C&D article I read last night about the Buick Lucerne. A V8 FWD jelly bean... something that would have sold well 5 years ago. Now?/Steve, unfortunately, and I say this as a long-time Buick fan, Buick hasn't built any car worth a damn since the GN.

And Donny, just my opinion here, but the Lincoln MKS in the picture you posted bears a strong resemblance to the Nissan Murano, which is arguably the ugliest passenger car ever made...although the Subaru Tribeca and Pontiac Aztek are tied for second...

FordNut
02-07-2006, 07:25 AM
First, I must address Lincoln's decision to mimic Cadillac's move to eliminate model names for alphabetic desginations. Actually, I think Acura did it before Caddy, but nevermind. Lincoln will stop calling models by names (Aviator, Navigator, Town Car, Zepher) and use alphbetical designations. The new what was to be Aviator will be the Lincoln MKX, for example. They want people to say "Lincoln" instead of Aviator.

Anywho, I think they are on the right track with the MKS, which will be their flagship V8 sedan, in this case, AWD:

http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/01/MKS_Teaser_04_HR_1.jpg
The Lincoln MKS features heated and cooled seats with 14-way power adjustments, a panoramic glass roof, adaptive LED head lights, advanced navigation system, Bluetooth and DVD-audio surround sound. A powerful 315-horsepower V-8 engine is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission, intelligent all-wheel drive and Lincoln’s first sedan with 20-inch wheels.
Looks like a Caddy to me. UGLY grille.

FordNut
02-07-2006, 07:52 AM
My $.02 on the fuel cell/hydrogen/petroleum/diesel/biodiesel/ethanol subject(s):

Diesel is a petroleum product, refined from the same crude oil as gasoline. Not a solution to the overall problem. The vehicles may produce lots of power and get better mileage, but that still does not address the problem of dependence on foreign sources for supply.

Biodiesel and ethanol are not viable alternatives on a large scale. Sure, the biodiesel bus of Willie Nelson and others are a great idea and utilizes a resource that would otherwise be wasted, but can you imagine the supply shortage if everybody was doing it? And it takes more energy to make ethanol than is given off in its combustion. Again, on a small scale to convert waste materials into ethanol it makes sense but on a large scale to harvest materials specifically for the purpose of making ethanol it doesn't.

Fuel cells are used for electric cars. Some people will accept electric cars, some won't. Much like hybrids.

Hydrogen could be a great solution. We have the technology today to make it happen, it's just that the policy-makers have this pie-in-the-sky attitude and are pushing fuel cell technology. There are hydrogen-fueled cars right now which use a 4.6L Ford internal combustion engine. It requires conversion to a hydrogen tank similar to the propane tank in propane-powered cars. The major shortfall is a distribution network. Same thing applies to fuel cell technology. Which is simpler, quicker, easier to get in place? Which would be quicker and more acceptable to the consumer?

Eric91Z
02-07-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure where it came from, but a friend sent me this pic of 2007 Crown Vic.

I don't know. That pictures looks like someone took the 2004 Crown Vic LX Sport picture from the website or brochure and photshopped a Ford Fusion front end on it...

cpprice
02-07-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't know. That pictures looks like someone took the 2004 Crown Vic LX Sport picture from the website or brochure and photshopped a Ford Fusion front end on it...
My friend did a google search while we were at work and the pic came from some auto website. I have asked him to tell me where so I can check it out myself. I waiting to hear from him and I will post the details. I was wanting to check to see if there was anything else there about FLM products.

Sully008
02-08-2006, 06:41 AM
That pic is a photoshop. Here is the same pic that I PS'd with the CVPI grille, different color and wheels. There are a couple other ones floating around the 'net. I'll see if I can find them later.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/9/6/0/Wheels.jpg

StevenJ
02-08-2006, 02:11 PM

That was a photoshop someone did at CV.net btw. I still hope it looks like that.

texascorvette
02-08-2006, 07:13 PM
You can blame a bunch of clown dealers for killing the GT. When it came out, it stickered for $145K. The dealers sold them for $250K up--same way the greedy bastards killed the Marauder. People aren't willing to pay 30-40% over sticker for car, especially if the car is priced where it ought to be for what you get. That's why GM sells so many Corvettes and, up till 1996, sold so many Impala SS's. The could still be selling that car, if they hadn't turned the only plant that made it into an SUV plant.

BlackHole
02-08-2006, 09:44 PM
No the mark ups is not what killed the GT
4 things and this might be why Ford is turning away from Hipo
1 Crash testing for 2007 and passing
2 the 5.4 would not pass 2007 Emmissions standards
3 The GT was only going to be a 3 year car 2004/05/06
4 CAN is coming out to replace OBDII so why come out with a 3rd Gen L/Adrenalin/GT if it can't run right with this new Computer/software set up.

But my next car well probably be the RX8 or RX7 or the Volvo S60R

StevenJ
02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
My next car will probably be a new 3v V8 panther, if it ever happens, a Chrysler 300C, or one of the new GM 4 door RWD V8 cars if they ever happen. I'm betting on the last one. I really don't want a slowpar.

texascorvette
02-09-2006, 06:24 AM
No the mark ups is not what killed the GT
4 things and this might be why Ford is turning away from Hipo
1 Crash testing for 2007 and passing
2 the 5.4 would not pass 2007 Emmissions standards
3 The GT was only going to be a 3 year car 2004/05/06
4 CAN is coming out to replace OBDII so why come out with a 3rd Gen L/Adrenalin/GT if it can't run right with this new Computer/software set up.

But my next car well probably be the RX8 or RX7 or the Volvo S60R

You're correct about Ford intending the car to be limited production for a limited time, but they could have worked around the other requirements. They never sold as many of the GT as the could have. They never sold as many Marauders as they could have.

The only reason I have a Marauder is because I got it for "A Plan" pricing. I sure wouldn't have paid $5-10 over sticker like some othe the dealers were asking--and I think the folks who pay sticker or higher for a Mustang GT must just love getting killed on resale value.

Ford should send all the production of their popular cars that they can crank out of the plant to Dealers who will sell the cars for a fair price. They could then send the hard-to-sell vehicles to the rip-off artist dealers and popular cars to those clowns whenever they get around to it.

It's been common knowledge for years that most of a car dealer's profit comes through the service department. If the scam artist dealers didn't have any popular cars to sell, maybe their service departments wouldn't make them any money either. They sure shouldn't be rewarded for the screwing they're giving Ford by being shipped '07 Shelby Mustangs to sell.

RCSignals
02-09-2006, 09:17 PM

True.

Also, Motortrend has predicted the return of the RWD Impala before, and it didn't happen.
If this is true about a RWD Impala, why wasn't there a concept along side the Camaro concept this year?

I wonder if Motortrend's announcement will hurt sales of the current FWD V8 Impala?

StevenJ
02-09-2006, 10:19 PM
The Camaro car was the concept. It's either going to be a simga lite platform or zeta. Either way, the development is done. It has been said that Pontiac wil get a G8 sedan and Buick will get a new rear drive flagship sedan as well.

tjg442
01-27-2009, 07:30 PM
This post is sacralige! Now if you were making fun of the HHR, I'd understand but the RWD sedan market is a never dying market. Sure, engine choices change but one look at the sport sedan and luxury sedan market right now and over the past ten years or so will tell you that the large RWD sedan market is very steady.

RELAX GUY'S.........$2,000.00 IN "McDONALDS" STOCK 1964, AND YOU WOULD NOT BE ON THIS WEBB SITE !!!!!!!!!!!!

n00bkiller944
01-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Back from the deaddddddddddddddddddddd

a_d_a_m
01-27-2009, 08:00 PM
holy old thread, batman!

tjg442
01-27-2009, 08:14 PM
[quote=StevenJ;342856]This post is sacralige! Now if you were making fun of the HHR, I'd understand but the RWD sedan market is a never dying market. Sure, engine choices change but one look at the sport sedan and luxury sedan market right now and over the past ten years or so will tell you that the large RWD sedan market is very steady.[/quote

DON'T THINK WE WILL SEE ANYTHING LIKE OUR MM'S ANYTIME SOON.....AT LEAST I HOPE NOT ?

hot-rauder
01-27-2009, 10:24 PM
[quote=StevenJ;342856]This post is sacralige! Now if you were making fun of the HHR, I'd understand but the RWD sedan market is a never dying market. Sure, engine choices change but one look at the sport sedan and luxury sedan market right now and over the past ten years or so will tell you that the large RWD sedan market is very steady.[/quote

DON'T THINK WE WILL SEE ANYTHING LIKE OUR MM'S ANYTIME SOON.....AT LEAST I HOPE NOT ?

or any relavance to a 3 year old thread.

Vortex
01-27-2009, 10:58 PM
With a bunch of new laws coming up I seriously doubt we will be seeing many more V8 RWD cars. Each manufacturer may be able to keep one or two RWD lines going, ie Corvette/Camaro for GM, Mustang for Ford, and Challenger for Dodge but I bet most everything else is going to be V6 (or smaller) and FWD. New mileage CAFE restrictions will make it happen. These are the glory days boys, if you want a 400+ hp RWD car, you had better get out there and buy it now, they will be gone sooner than you think.

CBT
01-28-2009, 04:51 AM
In before the archive!

Blackened300a
01-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Jeeze this thread was around before I was even a member.

lucenti
04-10-2009, 06:11 AM
I contacted Ford customer relations, asked if they had an extra MM lying around that I could buy. THIS is the response I recieved. If every one wrote to them maybe it will be taken seriously, even the members at crown vic .net... That would make for alot of interest. doesn't hurt to try !!!:type: