PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else Obsess over mods?

O's Fan Rich
02-07-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm finding myself really starting to become obsessive with thinking about the things I want to do to my car.
The big one is the supercharger. I'm trying to make up my mind which way to go. I read and re-read the same posts, do the same searches over and over again.
My mind gravitates towards the subject and I refocus only to slip back again.... It's a sickness I tell you, a sickness.
Gears, girdles, brakes, converters, exhaust, coolers, then Maurauderjack gets me thinking about relocating the oil filter... Good god man it's gotta stop!!

I need help.:cry:

Rider90
02-07-2006, 07:14 PM
If there are Modders Anonymous, some of us better show :) I'm in the same boat. You're among friends.

Joe Walsh
02-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm finding myself really starting to become obsessive with thinking about the things I want to do to my car.
The big one is the supercharger. I'm trying to make up my mind which way to go. I read and re-read the same posts, do the same searches over and over again.
My mind gravitates towards the subject and I refocus only to slip back again.... It's a sickness I tell you, a sickness.
Gears, girdles, brakes, converters, exhaust, coolers, then Maurauderjack gets me thinking about relocating the oil filter... Good god man it's gotta stop!!

LOL.... Me too, I constantly consider, then reconsider what type of forced induction I'm going to put on my Marauder when the funds allow....
I was SURE that I was going to buy a Trilogy, then I was SURE that I was going to buy an F.I.T. Procharger, then I was SURE that I was going to buy a Turbo,
then back to the Procharger and its' top end charge, then back to the Trilogy and its' low end whump.....but man is that Turbo efficient and when the boost hits.....
:depress: :help:

ckadiddle
02-07-2006, 07:20 PM
My lack of funds keeps me from obsessing too much! ;) In another five years when the monthly payments stop, I will start putting that amount away each month toward a supercharger. Heh heh heh. Won't take long to get the money together that way.

MikesMerc
02-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Does anyone else Obsess over mods?

Yup!:thinker: :thinker: :thinker:

gpfarrell
02-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure "obsess" is a strong enough term....

martyo
02-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Guilty as charged.

Hotrauder
02-07-2006, 08:23 PM

Rich, you don't need help. Just do it..the obsessive thinking become obsessive driving. Problem solved...#121. Its a love affair. dennis:beer:

jawz101
02-07-2006, 09:51 PM
You had me at "Does anyone else obsess":bigcry:

DEFYANT
02-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Obsess about mods? Who me? I DO NOT! NO I DONT! YOU CANT PROVE IT! well, uh, I guess you can. It's parked in the garage. You win... My list of wants are longer that the list of haves!

It is an addiction!

jdando
02-08-2006, 03:51 AM
My first answer was no I do not obsess about mods. Then tonight I dreamed about dyno tuning and test drives:o Now I can not get back to sleep:(

Yea, I guess I do.....

Marauderjack
02-08-2006, 04:16 AM
IT NEVER STOPS!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!:argue:

Now I need FATTER rear tires....HELP ME....I'm ADDICTED!!!!!:help:

Marauderjack:burnout:

martyo
02-08-2006, 04:48 AM
It is an addiction!

Tru Dat!!!!!

O's Fan Rich
02-08-2006, 05:39 AM
The huge problem for me right now is that the time is close.
In May, the car is offically mine ( no longer my company car ) and I can do the more "risky" mods and the heck with the warranty issues they create.
So, I'm getting excited....
In April, I'll order the S/C i finally choose and get it done....
It's going to be a LONG 3 months......:shake:

Bradley G
02-08-2006, 05:55 AM
I have no idea what you are talkin' about!:D
Good luck Rich!

Paul T. Casey
02-08-2006, 05:55 AM
There's a fine line between hobby and mental illness, I know which side I'm on. :loco:

juno
02-08-2006, 06:45 AM
I average 20+ hours a week researching mods. I am writing my trials and tribulations down so people can find the info in one place or with links, none of this searching a 100 threads with the poor search engine. I will also be updating the reviews section here with the products I have used. We need more of that.

One thing I can caution anyone about is seperate FACT from OPINION before you make any decisions. If you have any questions, PM one of the members who has done/doing something you are interested in. I have gotten great responses by PMing members and it has helped me make or change critical decisions. There is great information in the threads, but you have to do a lot of sifting. When you have specific questions to ask a member, PM away!

mpearce
02-08-2006, 07:15 AM
I'm at a point in my life right now where I need to save every penny I can. I've got big life changing, career related events coming up very soon. Unfortunately, things will get worse before they get better. But that doesn't stop me from constantly obsessing about what to get. Especially when I have the money to get things done...but if I spend it...I know I'll screw myself in the long run. Patience is the key!

-Mat

RoyLPita
02-08-2006, 07:17 AM
I don't really become obsessed with mods. For me, it is a matter of getting the funds to do them.

Another problem with some mods is that there is no real example to test drive to see what it is like.

BTW, to the ones who have driven a Trilogy car fully----I ENVY you.

TripleTransAm
02-08-2006, 07:37 AM
A lot of storage related gremlins kept me from doing any mods on my GTA back when I got it (6 years old and 18000 miles, but mostly stored for 3 years). I just didn't have the funds to risk breaking MORE stuff. And then the car show bug bit, and the car remained (and has remained) completely 100% original until now.

My first brand new car was the Ram Air. With a warranty to consider (and not knowing what to expect as far as quality), I again resisted the urge to mod. The car has rewarded me by being the most reliable car I've ever owned rating just barely below my Honda products (which have all been perfect, God bless 'em all).

My '78... well, with the base 400 (180hp) and high mileage, I'm just doing restorative maintenance and upgrading, with the occasional craziness just to spice up the commute to work (like the true dual exhaust with only small resonators, no mufflers, much like what came on the optional 220 hp 400 of that year except with no muffling action from a restrictive pellet-type converter).

My MMs... well, I'm happy enough with what these cars provided from the factory, ironically enough (at 14.56 in the 1/4 completely 100% stock down to the air filter, I can't complain). Would be nice to get a bit more oomph at low end, but right now I can't see myself trusting the powertrain to handle a major mod and maintain daily-driven stop-and-go winter-and-summer driving without biting me in the wallet. I'm on my 2nd MM now (still with a factory warranty) and I'm not going to risk anything just yet... probably a tune to help the shift points and maybe a little more oomph, nothing more. Probably exhaust (haven't decided which of the 2 cars will get this). But as much as I'd like to believe it, I am not convinced either of my MMs would last long after a major mod without puking its guts. And I'm not willing to put my family's financial well-being at risk, with a new house and a lot of other hobbies, I can't spread it that thin.

Sully008
02-08-2006, 08:05 AM
I don't really obsess, I do a lot of researching a mod to death before doing it. I won't be able to do any major modding in the near future since I'm buying a house and getting married. Give me 5 years after the warranty's up and I'm settled in, then we'll talk about getting S/C'd. Unless I win that raffle...

BruteForce
02-08-2006, 08:06 AM
On the advise of counsel, I respectfully decline to answer on the grounds that I might incriminate myself. :P

Rider90
02-08-2006, 08:17 AM
On the advise of counsel, I respectfully decline to answer on the grounds that I might incriminate myself. :P
Best answer! And there went Marty, turning himself in :P

jawz101
02-08-2006, 09:22 AM
...I will also be updating the reviews section here with the products I have used. We need more of that.

...There is great information in the threads, but you have to do a lot of sifting.

Amen to updating the reviews section. I've suggested starting a Research section on the forums so we can fine tune and review this stuff, include install notes from prior posts, any gotchas, etc. It should be something we can all contribute to so no one person has to bear the burden.