PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Buick Grand National worth $$$$

Directedby
04-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Check out this Grand National.

45 miles and has been stored since the day it was bought.

Bidding is over $50,000.

Maybe it would be a good idea to buy a MM and store it. It could be worth serious $$ in 15 years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2410541807&category=6137

Pics here - http://www.hagucsales.com/1987gnx.html

:rock:

merc406
04-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Buy a car and not drive it. That ain't no fun!

CRUZTAKER
04-15-2003, 06:17 PM
No doubt, besides, we discussed this about the SS stored for all those years. If it was stored in someones garage, particularly in the north...not good. Not good in the south either. If it wasn't climate controlled and rodent free for the last 16 years, it's got problems, some that may not arrise until the first time it gets hammered on for a week or two.

No doubt a collectors dream, just like the 1 in 20 Alpha Romeo recently found in a barn in the Italian countryside somewhere.

But to buy it, and drive it daily? It'll need a physical, and damn, when did the warranty expire again? Oh yeah, ABOUT 13 YEARS AGO!

gja
04-15-2003, 06:33 PM
Exactly Cruz...
This is a long-term stored car. I would venture to say unless it was started and run on a very organized schedule you are looking at a possible full teardown of the powerplant. To say nothing of an automatic transmission that wasn't used for 13! years. I will bet some of the clutch/friction plates are trash. It is actually a lot of work to store a car for later use, not just museum art.

I would be VERY reluctant to purchase ANY car of this age without knowing the person had prepped and maintained it religiously and had paper to prove it. And even then, I would demand a period of time for the car to be considered returnable if falures due to improper storage and maintainance were to be found.

TAF
04-15-2003, 06:35 PM
Maybe I'm biased...but...I don't think ours will look quite that "dated" in 15 years....

b4z
04-15-2003, 08:18 PM
What is that old saying? "You can never pay too much for a cream puff, nor too little for a car with high miles."

If the owner of that car had taken his $25,000 and bought Microsoft instead, he would be a millionaire now.
Heck, he probably is one already. Don't know if you guys noticed the Turbo trans Am pace Car beside it?

One thing I did notice is he doesn't know how to store a car.
It should be on jackstands.
My guess is those Gatorbacks are flat spotted.

I almost traded in my '87 IROC and bought a TType but the interior was just so awful I couldn't get past it.

LincMercLover
04-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Anyone remember this?

http://www.forwardlook.net/countdown.asp

MN6
04-16-2003, 05:44 AM
This GN is a GNX - not the garden variety GN. Now what Mercury needs to do is drop in the SC Cobra motor and bring out the Marauder X. Which should have been done in the first place.

Bob86GN
04-16-2003, 08:22 PM
A GNX with 50K miles in pretty good shape would draw $35K so a 45 MILE car would easily draw $50K. Motor rebuild or not!

gja
04-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Try as a frame-off Bob. ALL the rubber components (including body doughnuts) are likely shot and will need replacing. You are buying a VERY labor-intensive project car at minimum. I am not guessing here, either. I have seen other cars like this 'in the flesh', and while it is arguably a VERY collectible car it is going to be a LONG tough rebuild to fully showroom floor condition.
Something to bear in mind.