PDA

View Full Version : LEO TASER Question

dwasson
02-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm writing a novel where there is a scene that involves a character being by a TASER. I need to know if the victim of a TASER is concious and aware of his surroundings (could he identify people stading around him?), or is he completely out of it. How about someone hit with a commercial stun gun? Any input is appreciated.

MI2QWK4U
02-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Dont tazer someone when the ground is wet, or you and your partner are sharing a puddle with the suspect being tazed!

trust me on this one....

Bluerauder
02-09-2006, 05:35 PM
I need to know if the victim of a TASER is concious and aware of his surroundings (could he identify people stading around him?), or is he completely out of it. How about someone hit with a commercial stun gun? Any input is appreciated.
Here ya go Dan. Check out this video and see if this woman is aware of anything during the taser procedure .... twice !!! :rolleyes:

Click on the link in the first post >>>>>>> http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18747&highlight=taser+woman

BigMerc
02-09-2006, 05:41 PM
The hit is only 5 seconds, but its the worst 5 seconds of your life. You are unable to use any of your muscles and the taser overrides your brain waves that you control.

You are aware of whats going on around you but do not care one bit. The sensation is overwhelming. I have seen some guys take 5-6 hits before they decided to comply.

SergntMac
02-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Nevermind...

DEFYANT
02-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Dont tazer someone when the ground is wet, or you and your partner are sharing a puddle with the suspect being tazed!

trust me on this one....

Really?

It was my understanding that water wouldn't have an effect. Infact, you could be touching the subject being tazed and not be effected.

I'd love to hear the details on this. Please elaborate. :confused:

To add to the answer to the question posed, I agree with Big Merc.

fastblackmerc
02-09-2006, 07:36 PM
How about contacting your local police dept. Maybe they'll Taser you as part of their training........:rolleyes:

MI2QWK4U
02-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Really?

It was my understanding that water wouldn't have an effect. Infact, you could be touching the subject being tazed and not be effected.

I'd love to hear the details on this. Please elaborate. :confused:

To add to the answer to the question posed, I agree with Big Merc.

It happened in the neighboring jurisdiction a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly we were assisting them with a K-9 track for some reason, there was a lot of standing water from recent heavy rain. I heard our guy was kneeling next to the subject in standing water, but not in direct contact, and when they tazed the suspect, he felt it. Said it was strong enough to make him jump and scramble back. I will ask the training officer for more details on it, they had someone come in and talk about it from one of the tazer companies. Hope this helps, like I said, its been a couple of years, we dont use the tazer at all ourselves.

BigMerc
02-09-2006, 08:01 PM
You can handle the suspect and not be tazed, while the current is being applied. In the case that is being cited the probe wires most likely transferred the current, through the water. Suspects have been tased when it was wet and officers fighting with the suspect, felt nothing

MI2QWK4U
02-09-2006, 08:13 PM
You can handle the suspect and not be tazed, while the current is being applied. In the case that is being cited the probe wires most likely transferred the current, through the water. Suspects have been tased when it was wet and officers fighting with the suspect, felt nothing

So you are saying that if the suspect rolled over and the probe was in the water, the officer could have felt it that way? Makes sense. I will find out the details.

BigMerc
02-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Exactly, the 2 probes, once they have been shot into the suspect, transfer the power through the probe. Remember there is, in our case 21 feet of copper filament that connects the probes to the gun. Most commonly the probe wires will make contact with the officer as he was struggling with the suspect.
Water transfers the current very well and if you're in the puddle and the wires make contact. YAHTZEE!!

but if you are just wet and the suspect is tazed while you are holding onto him you won't receive current. Unless the wires make contact with the water and then through the water, you. Then you get a reminder message courtesy of Taser industires.

rayjay
02-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Never taze anyone doused with OC that contains alcohol.

hitchhiker
02-10-2006, 07:32 AM

trust me on this one....

If you are about to be a 'Tazee' then pee in the general direction of the 'Tazer'!

:D

dwasson
02-10-2006, 10:07 AM
How about contacting your local police dept. Maybe they'll Taser you as part of their training........:rolleyes:

I took a dog training class in using shock collars. They insisted that each of us place the collar on our arm and push the button. That was enough shock for me.

dwasson
02-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Never taze anyone doused with OC that contains alcohol.
A couple years ago some NYC cops set a guy on fire that way.

rayjay
02-10-2006, 11:23 AM
A couple years ago some NYC cops set a guy on fire that way.
If I remember correctly it was 300# female EDP

Proudcop
02-10-2006, 11:52 AM
As far as water goes, a suspect can be standing in a pool of water and it wont hurt the officer. A small part of the wires in the taser are insulated so it wont affect the officer!