PDA

View Full Version : Speeding and Unregistered 9 MM

sailsmen
02-09-2006, 07:10 PM
After Katrina and before Rita I am driving Dennis' Marauder thru AL at 5:00am. I get off at two stops to urinate but the all nites are closed because of no staff due to Katrina.

I get back on and speed to the next exit. I see the blue ligths rigth behind me. Get pulled over by a State Trooper for going 88mph. He is atheletic medium to small build, baby face, very clean shaven and well dressed.

I tell him I have to really urinate, couldn't find an open place. He says there was a rest stop at that exit. He sees the car is in Dennis name and I explain the whole evacuation story which has too many details.

He ask if I have a weapon. I say yes, he ask what I say a 9 mm. He ask is it registered I say no I am from NO.

He says that whats everybody says from NO,here in AL it must be registered.
he ask where it is I say in this console. He says step to the front of the vehicle. He ask if I have any other weapons and I say no.

He ask again is it registered and I say no. He ask what model, I say S&W 59, he ask is it loade3d yes, is one in the chamber yes. He yells !@#$!

I say to my self what lawyers do I know in AL. He says get back in the vehicle.

I wait for what seems like an eternity. He returns and says I can arrest you for this. I say that would not be good. He says I am going to give you a ticket and hands me a bullet. He then goes to hand me the 9mm and I motion to drop it on the seat.

He says you are obviously not going to cause any trouble, you told the truth and I understand your need to carry one. Get it registered at any court house.

I say so I can keep it in the trunk. He says you never know. I ask have you had any trouble between here and Fl, he says no. I say so I can keep it in the trunk, he says you never know.

I also had to explain how I got Dennis car and had it for 2 weeks! He said that's one heck of a friend who will let you borrow this car for 2 weeks!

He was very professional. I asked for permission when ever I moved my hands. I think he cursed because he realized if I were an evil guy he would have had problems. In the end I was surprised how much he trusted me.

As usual being honest and polite pays off.

ps I have signed up for a conceal carry course.

fastblackmerc
02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
So did you get to urinate?

I just had to ask :D

LCSO34
02-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Hey sailsman, just to let you know the best deal going on ccw permit is a Florida out of State CCW. I think you apply or get the paperwork off the Florida state website. The reason its a good deal is because Florida's is recognized by most of the Southern States. A couple of our LEO at the Sheriff's department got these before the new federal law went into effect.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

RCSignals
02-09-2006, 09:41 PM
What's this about 'Registration' ? How does AL get away with that?

Vortech347
02-10-2006, 12:41 AM
CCW's are great. I use mine every day! :)

rayjay
02-10-2006, 01:30 AM
What's this about 'Registration' ? How does AL get away with that?
Come to NYS and see what it takes to obtain a "restricted" pistol permit. My county only issues unrestricted permits to LEOs. Pistol permit in New York City?, forgetaboutit! Stop at any court house and register it, that would be a piece of cake compared to what I have to go through to add a pistol to my permit. Its really much easier for joe crook to obtain an illegal firearm. :bs:
Oh, BTW, in NYS, sailsmen would have been calling someone for bail, not worth getting fired to cut someone a break.

Marauderjack
02-10-2006, 04:43 AM
CONCEALED CARRY=Government enumeration....BE CAREFUL!!

I had a friend in NC who got the CC permit and it clearly tells you where and when you can "Legally" carry "CONCEALED" only!!!:argue:

If you break the rules and are caught you forfeit your rights to a fire arm PERIOD....and possibly have a felony charge to fight!!! AIN'T WOTH IT TO ME ....and I carry a weapon with me almost everywhere.....when lawful!!!:beer:

Marauderjack:cool:

sailsmen
02-10-2006, 05:10 AM
I did get to urinate!:banana2:

I will check further on the LA CC but I do not think there are any forfieture penalties.

There was a total lawlessness down here due to Katrina/Rita some LEO got real jumpy, understandably so. The CC was a general pass.

Proudcop
02-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Those darn cops!!!:censor:

Dragcity
02-10-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm with RayJay. I live in Erie County in NY. It is the biggest PITA to get licenced to even own a handgun. After a $50 safety course, 8 page $90 application, fingerprints, interviews, a sit-down with the County DA ..... AND 8 months of waiting; I finally was able to buy a gun restricted to Target & Hunting.

I just don't know how to conceal a Ruger Super Redhawk with a scope. Quite awkward....

10 years later, I am now in the process of applying for Unrestricted/Personal Protection. Another application and probably another sit-down with a County Judge or DA.

RayJay is right about the crooks having guns. A lot of people run them up from the South. Easy for the unlawful to get and carry them.

Sounds like you ran into a REAL copper down there. Truely concerned for your safety.

Funny, they don't ask if we have guns up here in NY. At least I have never been asked, the 5 times I've been stopped over the years.

sailsmen
02-10-2006, 09:38 AM
When I lived in NYC in 1981/82 some of the fruit stands would rent guns to the criminals!

Dragcity
02-10-2006, 09:42 AM
WTF ! Now I must get my unrestricted....

RCSignals
02-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Those darn cops!!!:censor:

You don't like that he didn't let him pee?

metroplex
02-13-2006, 09:27 AM
You're supposed to tell the LEO that you have a loaded/concealed pistol right in the beginning if you're a CCW holder. In MI, non-CCW holders must store weapons in the trunk. CCW holders with a concealed pistol on their person or in their glove box or other part of passenger area must notify/inform LEO right at the start that there is a weapon. I'm sure its probably the same in other states, which is why the officer gave you some schitt at the start.

sailsmen
02-13-2006, 10:04 AM
In La a gun in your vehicle, being transported to/ from you vehcile or place of bus is not considered concealed.

Shaijack
02-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Billy,

Only police and criminals carry weapons. I am a policeman so I get to carry one and you don't. After shooting your 454 I think you should carry that one. Very offensive and just looking at it will stop crime.

Vortech347
02-14-2006, 11:34 AM
You're supposed to tell the LEO that you have a loaded/concealed pistol right in the beginning if you're a CCW holder. In MI, non-CCW holders must store weapons in the trunk. CCW holders with a concealed pistol on their person or in their glove box or other part of passenger area must notify/inform LEO right at the start that there is a weapon. I'm sure its probably the same in other states, which is why the officer gave you some schitt at the start.
Yup same here. Great way to break it to your grandma ridding in shot gun that your packing heat when you get pulled over for doing 5 over. :lol:

Shaijack
02-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Your wife should take your guns away and lock them up in a safe place or better yet she should give them to Barry and Donald. Did you get arrested for carrying an un-registered AX. You ax murderer......HAHA

Dragcity
02-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Called on the status of my upgrade and thy said it would be M O N T H S before I had a decision.

I don't get it ????

"If guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have them"

Smokie
02-15-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't hunt anymore, in younger days me and my buddies use to drive to the woods with enough firepower in the truck to start a revolution....how the hell are you supposed to get the weapons from your house to the woods legally...if its illegal to carry them in the car???

sailsmen
02-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Your wife should take your guns away and lock them up in a safe place or better yet she should give them to Barry and Donald. Did you get arrested for carrying an un-registered AX. You ax murderer......HAHA

I promised the wife I would not throw the AXE on the property anymore. We are going to Natchez for Mardi Gras and I am bringing the AXE to throw, assuming I get permission from the camp ground owner my friend Tommy!

Aren Jay
04-09-2008, 10:07 PM
You should try and get a pistol in Canada.

Bigdogjim
04-10-2008, 04:59 AM
Old thread warning....................... ............................

Dragcity
04-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Yeah, No kidding. I have had my C.C. for long time now......

dreydin
04-10-2008, 07:24 AM
wow, nice experience. im sure age had a lot to do with it though.

BUCKWHEAT
04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Is the Utah non-resident permit now a better deal than Florida just because of the cheaper cost?

Hey sailsman, just to let you know the best deal going on ccw permit is a Florida out of State CCW. I think you apply or get the paperwork off the Florida state website. The reason its a good deal is because Florida's is recognized by most of the Southern States. A couple of our LEO at the Sheriff's department got these before the new federal law went into effect.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Aren Jay
04-10-2008, 10:04 AM
ahh I was searching through Dennis Reinhart posts. Didn't notice the date.