PDA

View Full Version : The U.S.S Cole

fastblackmerc
02-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Most of you remember the U.S.S Cole and the hole in her side made by terrorists. Here's how they moved her to drydock.

http://www.pianoladynancy.com/recovery_usscole.htm

Bluerauder
02-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Most of you remember the U.S.S Cole and the hole in her side made by terrorists. Here's how they moved her to drydock.

http://www.pianoladynancy.com/recovery_usscole.htm
I remember seeing that around the time of the original transport. The Norwegian heavy transport is a big dude "M/V Blue Marlin".
M/V is terminology for Motor Vessel. The US Army Corps of Engineers uses the same term for its sea-going dredge fleet. :D

SID210SA
02-10-2006, 09:09 AM
I thought I recently heard on the news that the "mastermind" ( term used loosley ) escaped from jail????....

hitchhiker
02-10-2006, 09:11 AM
How much explosive was used to do that damage?

I would think that a boat large enough to carry enough (civilian) explosive would have been big enough to see...?

Was any research done on this?

Thanks,

Dave

Bluerauder
02-10-2006, 09:28 AM

I would think that a boat large enough to carry enough (civilian) explosive would have been big enough to see...?

Was any research done on this?

Thanks,

Dave
Read the account of the USS Cole on the Wikipedia .... according to accounts there, 2 approaching small craft were seen. However, the ROE prevented taking any action until they were fired upon. Here's an extract of information from another source....

"SEVENTEEN people died and 39 were injured in an attack on the American guided missile destroyer, USS Cole, in Aden harbour, Yemen, on October 12, 2000.

While the ship was refuelling offshore, a small craft with two men on board - presumed to be suicide bombers - approached the ship and exploded. The small boat is believed to have been packed with 400-700 pounds of explosives, and the blast blew a 40-foot hole in the side of the USS Cole."

In the months since the bombing, there has been growing evidence that it was orchestrated by Usama bin Laden's al-Qa'ida network."

seans
02-10-2006, 11:02 AM
I thought I recently heard on the news that the "mastermind" ( term used loosley ) escaped from jail????....

Yes he and several other terrorists escaped and are still on the loose.

Badger
02-10-2006, 12:12 PM
My Co-worker was very much involved in this salvage.
Hmm...wonder how the Navy got a ahold of such a vessel??
The holes cut in the deck of the Marlin were quick to gain the name "Ensign Trap"
Wanna know more...buy me a beer at the next CAM meet.

Bluerauder
02-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Wanna know more...buy me a beer at the next CAM meet.
Done :beer: ..... are you gonna be there on 25 Feb?? :D

Badger
02-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Yup. Should be....unless my install date gets bumped to the left.
That site takes so long to load the pictures. Do they show a Tug in the background?
Do they show the hole without the canvas cover?

Ross
02-10-2006, 12:48 PM
I have always wondered about the large hole being blown by explosives from such a small boat. I'm no explosives expert, but 400-700 lbs. of generic high explosives (not a shaped charge), close to but not exactly up against the ship, not sandbagged or contained against the ship in any way...seems like most of the force of the blast would have been deflected outward rather than inward through solid steel. I don't know how thick the hull of the Cole was, but that's a hell of a hole for just a generic big bang to have made. Who knows, maybe I'm crazy (again).

rocknrod
02-10-2006, 01:31 PM
.....Dave
When the American troops were sent to the Balkins Bill Clinton refused to allow them to have AMUNITION in their weapons!
When the ships pulled into the Yemen area, they were never given authority to defend themselves (by Bill Clinton). This was one of the investigative findings uncovered during the hearings.
Yes it was investigated.

Ross
02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
For the third time, Why do you have a bloody Muslim curved sword as your avatar?

:D

And for the umpteenth time, study some history if you want to know about that sword. Oh, I forgot, historical fact isn't your strong point.

SergntMac
02-10-2006, 02:41 PM
For the third time, Why do you have a bloody Muslim curved sword as your avatar? Regards, Dave :D Dave...Dude...When you insult a man's patriotism and loyalty to his home state, you're really asking for big trouble. I think you got lucky here.

Ross has been a good friend to me, and a guiding force upon all of us. He's a gentleman, a professional, a Christian...(psst...and he carries a gun too, hehehe). One of these elements earns him your apology, whichever reason it is matters not to me. But, better read up here first, K? Just so you know what you're apologizing for?

http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/consultations5.htm#bloodyarm

That said...Now maybe you could explain the number 42 and a camel in you sig? What's this crap all about, Dave?

My apologies, Ross. BTW, when you peek at who signed the Declaration of Goliad, can't help wanting to smell the old sod again. Honored pioneers, yes?

Ross
02-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Sarge. As far as smelling the old sod, you might be surprised how many Irish and Scots were instrumental in building Texas. One of my favorites is Dick Dowling, hero of the Battle of Sabine Pass where Dick and about 35 Texas Irishmen captured two Yankee gunboats and 350 men.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/DD/fdo28.html

There is also the story of John McGregor, the piper of the Alamo, among many others. You'd like drinking beer with some of us kilt wearers at some of our many events around here.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/MM/fmccl.html

jgc61sr2002
02-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Sarge. As far as smelling the old sod, you might be surprised how many Irish and Scots were instrumental in building Texas. One of my favorites is Dick Dowling, hero of the Battle of Sabine Pass where Dick and about 35 Texas Irishmen captured two Yankee gunboats and 350 men.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/DD/fdo28.html

There is also the story of John McGregor, the piper of the Alamo, among many others. You'd like drinking beer with some of us kilt wearers at some of our many events around here.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/MM/fmccl.html

Ross - Very interesting. Thanks for the History lesson.

Marauder386
02-10-2006, 03:18 PM
All Destroyers are thin hulled....the Burke class relies more on stealth than anything else and its standoff capability.

THE FLAG IS A PIRATE FLAG OF ONE THOMAS TEW...A pirate...as in "Arrgh Matey"....now knock off the dumb stuff and hit your history books....

:coolman:

hitchhiker
02-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Dave...Dude...When you insult a man's patriotism and loyalty to his home state, you're really asking for big trouble. I think you got lucky here.

Ross has been a good friend to me, and a guiding force upon all of us. He's a gentleman, a professional, a Christian...(psst...and he carries a gun too, hehehe). One of these elements earns him your apology, whichever reason it is matters not to me. But, better read up here first, K? Just so you know what you're apologizing for?

http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/consultations5.htm#bloodyarm

That said...Now maybe you could explain the number 42 and a camel in you sig? What's this crap all about, Dave?

My apologies, Ross. BTW, when you peek at who signed the Declaration of Goliad, can't help wanting to smell the old sod again. Honored pioneers, yes?

I never spoke of patriotism so I am not going to comment on that portion of your posting.

I will say that Patriotism is on the eye of the beholder and is probably the most mis-used and mis-applied term in our language. One person's patriot is another persons scoundrel; it's all a matter of perspective and opinion.

Thanks for the 'education'.

I can see why the rest of the country doesn't know about it.

I guess that would be like asking a non-Kansas person about Harpers Ferry and John Brown.

All Ross needed to do was tell me that.

As for getting lucky, Oh well. Texans usually feel free to insult the rest of the country so I guess things even themselves out eventually.

BTW I have relatives in Dallas, so I know about Texans.

Have a great weekend!

Best Regards,

David

hitchhiker
02-10-2006, 04:17 PM
All Destroyers are thin hulled....the Burke class relies more on stealth than anything else and its standoff capability.

THE FLAG IS A PIRATE FLAG OF ONE THOMAS TEW...A pirate...as in "Arrgh Matey"....now knock off the dumb stuff and hit your history books....

:coolman:

Destroyers have been called 'tin cans' since WWI.

Regards,

Dave

hitchhiker
02-10-2006, 04:20 PM
And for the umpteenth time, study some history if you want to know about that sword. Oh, I forgot, historical fact isn't your strong point.

The lesson is fine. The swipe isn't.

I bet that you don't know much California history either, but I don't really care.

It is easy to confuse iconic symbols when they are borrowed and re-used over and over by different cultural groups.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

David

MI2QWK4U
02-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Everyone tone it down. People are complaining. Please keep this thread about what it was posted as.

fastblackmerc
02-10-2006, 05:18 PM
I just started this post because I thought it was cool the way they moved the ship after the attack.....

natedog1284
02-10-2006, 05:25 PM
I just started this post because I thought it was cool the way they moved the ship after the attack.....

I thought it was cool :)

Anyway, come on fellas, lighten up. I'm fairly new to this posting thing, so don't turn off a doe-eyed kid this early :depress: