PDA

View Full Version : Garage makeover

fastblackmerc
02-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I just convinced my wife that I need a lift and a bigger air compressor for the garage. I was going to go with a 2 post lift rated at 9,000 pounds. Anyone have a experience with 2 post lifts? Any recommendations? I'll have to relocate the garage door tracks to allow for more headroom. The garage has a 18 foot high ceiling, just have to find a way to get the door up there. Will be doing the floor in a 2-part epoxy paint, most likely grey. Then we will be looking at a 30-40 ton press and a sandblast cabinet. Any other ideas?

DEFYANT
02-12-2006, 02:25 PM
A small fridge for beer.

GordonB
02-12-2006, 02:26 PM
fastblackmerc,
Do you want a SHOW car garage or a working stiff's garage?
If you want a fancy garage, look up some of the old posts of the Vettes and Porsches.
If you want a really nice working garage, then do the floor, drywall all of the walls and paint it. Then figure out what cabinets and benches you will need.
Equipment: Bench grinder, lots of outlets, lots of lights, good welder, and of course 2 lifts -- a 2 post as well as a drive-on lift.
This is just a start.
GordonB

fastblackmerc
02-12-2006, 03:03 PM
A small fridge for beer.
Already have one.

MERCMAN
02-12-2006, 03:13 PM
I believe MArty has one(a lift) installed in his garage, or perhaps TAF.

fastblackmerc
02-12-2006, 03:13 PM
fastblackmerc,
Do you want a SHOW car garage or a working stiff's garage?
If you want a fancy garage, look up some of the old posts of the Vettes and Porsches.
If you want a really nice working garage, then do the floor, drywall all of the walls and paint it. Then figure out what cabinets and benches you will need.
Equipment: Bench grinder, lots of outlets, lots of lights, good welder, and of course 2 lifts -- a 2 post as well as a drive-on lift.
This is just a start.
GordonB
Working stiff's garage.
Already drywalled but it needs to be painted.
Have a decent sized work bench already with a huge vise.
Have a bench grinder.
Have a welder.
Will be adding more floursecent lights.
Lots of outlets, but I think I'll add a few more.
Maybe be a polishing / buffing wheel.
I'll have to take some measurments, maybe I can fit two lifts. I think they make portable low-rise / frame lifts so that will work for just tire changing, oil changes, etc.

Good ideas, keep 'em comming!

Hotrauder
02-12-2006, 04:37 PM
A large fridge for beer! Dennis:beer:

natedog1284
02-12-2006, 04:48 PM
One thing you could do is what we do in the Air Force with our tool boxes; they put a layer of foam in each of the drawers and they have cutouts of the tools, sockets and wrenches and so forth, so it's easier to see if your missing a tool, and when you put them back, each tool has it's own spot, so since it always goes back in the same spot, it's always easy to find.

Also, get yourself a small tv for hot rod shows, and a good stereo/turntable for the American Graffitti soundtrack. That's a must for any hot rod garage!:D

Rider90
02-12-2006, 05:00 PM
We have two Mohawk lifts and they have had ZERO problems since we bought them atleast 7 years ago. We have an A-7 and a TP-15 if I recall correctly. They have a great safety feature where you can lift the vehicle and lower it back down on it's safety latches so the pressure is relieved off the hydraulic system and the vehicle is solid.

Here is a link for you, http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/products.php

fastblackmerc
02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
One thing you could do is what we do in the Air Force with our tool boxes; they put a layer of foam in each of the drawers and they have cutouts of the tools, sockets and wrenches and so forth, so it's easier to see if your missing a tool, and when you put them back, each tool has it's own spot, so since it always goes back in the same spot, it's always easy to find.

Also, get yourself a small tv for hot rod shows, and a good stereo/turntable for the American Graffitti soundtrack. That's a must for any hot rod garage!:D
Good ideas!!
I'll have a mini tower computer (wife's old system) with a DSL connection and a TV card hooked into the DSS system. Just have to find a way to mount the 21" display on the wall. Already have a stereo system w/ receiver, cassette deck, 4 speakers and a sub. Will also be connected to the Linksys wireless media adapter (can listen to all my CD's & MP3's stored on my server). Sears has some nice holders for sockets & wrenches, will be getting them too.

Keep the ideas comming!!

KillJoy
02-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Possibly an old oven, so you can cure your own Powder Coated and Heat-To-Cured Painted parts.

KillJoy

sweetair
02-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Have you looked at gregsmithequipment.com?? They have lifts and car storage lifts. The price seems right.

captJ696
02-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Check this site:http://garagejunkies.net

ckadiddle
02-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Good ideas!!
I'll have a mini tower computer (wife's old system) with a DSL connection and a TV card hooked into the DSS system. Just have to find a way to mount the 21" display on the wall. Already have a stereo system w/ receiver, cassette deck, 4 speakers and a sub. Will also be connected to the Linksys wireless media adapter (can listen to all my CD's & MP3's stored on my server). Sears has some nice holders for sockets & wrenches, will be getting them too.

Keep the ideas comming!!

Criminy...I thought I was hot stuff cause we got the garage emptied out enough to park the wife's stang in there....

hdirish50
02-13-2006, 11:23 AM
I just bought a house with a two car garage and been thinking about remolding the garage. I’ve been checking out http://www.calcarcover.com (http://www.calcarcover.com/) for some ideals.

pantheroc
02-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Throw in single space washer and dryer for oily rags and/or car cleaning towels.

QWK SVT
02-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Check this site:http://garagejunkies.net

+1 You can find everything from starters to full fledged full-serve garages there... Lot of great ideas, which I cannot afford :(

MI2QWK4U
02-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Wash tub with hot and cold water for washing the car in the winter. This is the lift i will be getting. Very reliable and heavy duty, cant beat the price.

http://www.asedeals.com/garage_lift_d-7.html

Marauderman
02-13-2006, 08:23 PM
DANG!--I believe you will need to convince the Ms. that I am you old lost Uncle you forgot to tell her about and I ...umm....need to stop by now and then for some fun//I mean work in our//I mean your fun house//I mean garage..:lol:

fastblackmerc
02-13-2006, 08:47 PM
DANG!--I believe you will need to convince the Ms. that I am you old lost Uncle you forgot to tell her about and I ...umm....need to stop by now and then for some fun//I mean work in our//I mean your fun house//I mean garage..:lol:
No Problem! Your welcome any time!!