PDA

View Full Version : Ride rough?

Rangero
04-16-2003, 03:58 PM
I got a stupid question if anybody is out there. I'm trying to talk the wife into a MM. Question: Do they really ride THAT rough? If you could compare the ride to another car you have been in that would be great.

I hate going to dealerships just for a testdrive. So I am relying on the articulation of the members here.

Thanks in advance!!

TAF
04-16-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Rangero
So I am relying on the articulation of the members here.

Thanks in advance!!

Good luck on getting that out of me...but...anyway.

The suspension and handling of this car are "performance minded" one man's (or woman's) "rough" is a performance enthusiats "feeling the road"...

Does this car "float" like a Town Car, Grand Marquis or Caddy? No

Is it probably the best handling full size sedan available, maybe ever? Yes, from a performance perspective. And, there should be no flames on that one because EVERY write up on this car has given specific "thumbs-up" on the handling.

Not articulate...but my humble opinion...

Matt Johnson
04-16-2003, 04:06 PM
It rides more like a performance car than anything else - tight steering, stiff but comfortable suspension, i.e. it transfers the road feel very well. These characteristics might be considered "rough" by your wife.

If someone's expecting the Grand Marquis/Town Car "land yacht" floater feel, they might not like the MM ride and label it "rough."

My wife's only complaint about the car is that the seats aren't firm and supportive enough (and she only weighs 125) so take like as you wish...

Rangero
04-16-2003, 04:08 PM
I live where potholes are a way of life and couldn't imagine driving something that rode as harsh as a vette everyday to work. I'm just looking for reassurance that it won't jar that bad.

Oh and it would be nice to stay married :)

RF Overlord
04-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Rangero:

First of all, welcome to the site. If we don't have the answer, you don't need to ask the question...something like that...

As far as the "rough" ride, that's such a subjective judgement you'll really have to take a ride in one yourself. I can use synonyms like "firm" and "controlled", but does that help? I like the ride, but you may not...

darebren
04-16-2003, 04:15 PM
personally I find the ride just fine for the driver, but for a passenger I have had comments that the seats are a little too flat and wide so it feels like they are slipping around alot with nothing to hold on to. The suspension set up transfers alot of "feel" to the occupants. i love it, my wife does not like riding in it, especially the 1 to 2 gear neck snap that comes along with the 4.10's and RPC chip.

beemer
04-16-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Rangero
I live where potholes are a way of life and couldn't imagine driving something that rode as harsh as a vette everyday to work. I'm just looking for reassurance that it won't jar that bad.

Oh and it would be nice to stay married :)

All I can say is go drive a Marauder. It's no where near the bone-jarring sport ride as a 'vette, nor should you expect it to be. For a big sedan the Marauder will tell you about the road, but not to the point where it is "shouting in your ear". I feel that the car is just right......you may too!

Best,

Paul:D

Rangero
04-16-2003, 04:22 PM
Gotcha!

Thanks guys for the feedback it all helps

Rangero

gonzo50
04-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Rangero, You say that the ride is harsh or rough, where did you get that from ? If performance and handling with a firm suspension is what you're looking for than the Marauder is the car, but if you want the approval of your spouse than I would suggest that both of you go to your nearest Mercury Dealership and see for yourself, I would think that anyone buying a new car should take a test drive for comparisons with other cars in it's class. What may be rough for one is pleasure for the other. :D

BlackHole
04-16-2003, 05:41 PM
A Lightning rides rougher and Trucktrend says theLightning rides like a Towncar. So I say its better than that.

BlackHole
04-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Gonzo what compatition only the Merc Grand Marquise and the Crown Vic remain in this sagment any more.

WolfeBros
04-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Firm ride yes. Harsh or rough.....no.
I find it comfortable and like the feedback that this car provides.
Lateral support in the seats could be better but I still like them.

MM03MOK
04-16-2003, 06:41 PM
^^^^ What Wolfe said ^^^^

looking97233
04-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Ranger- The MM/GM/CrownVic platform got a pretty good redesign for '03. The frame is way stiffer, the front frame rails are now hydro-formed, the new front crossmember is cast aluminum. In addition the MM gets additional frame stiffing(gusseting.) This makes for a VERY solid frame. What this means is the suspension can do it's work without transfering it into the frame of the car. The is no harshness, rattles, or cowl shake. The car is sprung firmer than its brothers. Take a tire pressure gage with you to the dealer(They most likely can't find one.) Make them set the tire pressures to 32psi. This is the factory recomondation, and provides a fairly compliant ride. After a test drive, have them put 36-38 in the front and 34-36 in the back. This sounds like not much, but test drive the car again. Big difference. 38frnt/36rear is about optium for the car from a performance standpoint. So you could run the lower pressure for dailly driving, but be able to bump it up when you are feeling "sporty" or what have you. Hope this helps.

sailsmen
04-18-2003, 09:24 PM
We are 6'+ below sea level so the potholes can swallow smaller cars. A while back in the paper there was a picture of a guy sitting in a lawn chair in the street with a fishing pole and hook in the water filled pot hole in front of his house. Pick ups and SUV are the norm here.

The ride is the result of the transfer of the feel from the road back to the car seat, however the car does not buck, bounce or jar.

Compared to several stock pick ups and BMW's with the sport suspension I have riden in the ride is significantly less harsh.

My '97 Grand Marquis with the sport suspension bounced, bucked and jarred but transferred little of the feel from the road back to the seat. The '97 GM rear suspension was also squirelly over bumps and at highway speeds passing 18 wheelers or in a cross wind.

The improvement between the handling and ride from the MM and the '97 GM is so dramatic you would never know they are the same model car. It puzzles me that Ford has not emphasized/advertised the substantial improvements they have made in the platform since 1997.

Kelly
04-19-2003, 02:14 PM
:P We have a Grand Marquis as well as the MM so the WIFE'S butt sh/be a good ruler to go by, the MM's ride is more bone jarring but the smile on her husbands face takes all of the momentary discomfort away! so she prefers we take the Marauder when we go out.

MMpridenjoy
04-19-2003, 03:45 PM
This car without a doubt is the best riding full size sedan I have ever rode in. And like mentioned here before, the ride (suspension) is performance driven.

engine23ccvfd
04-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Rangero,

Lets put it this way. My wife had a tumor removed from her Brain in January and she is prone to motion headaches but has no problem in the MM....Now my Dodge Ram Quad is a different story...

jgc61sr2002
04-20-2003, 07:45 AM
The suspension is more firm in the MM than my 2000 GM with the handling package. The MM definately doesn't lean in turns on the road. John

cruzer
04-23-2003, 09:06 PM
Made a quick 500 mi trip yesterday. Have put over 300,000 mi on P&H equipped GMs--the best handling I have ever had !!! Wife doesn't drive but has ridden with me all these miles and her comment was "a little stiff at low speeds, but much more stable at speed . I like it . The only thing wrong is the driver's heavy foot." BTW, I got 23.7 mpg !!!

WolfeBros
04-23-2003, 09:12 PM
Hey nice job Cruzer !
This Marauder loves to run at speed. Kind of like a fine thoroughbred race horse.:up:

Rangero
05-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Oh by the way,

I wanted to let everyone here at MM.com know, I got the wife talked into it and about 2 weeks ago I drove 350 miles one way and picked my new 300A. I hate dealerships so I took a friend that is good at being an ********* (glad I did cuz I got a fair deal) and drove home. Once again thanks to everyone that responded to my initial post.

Paul T. Casey
05-28-2003, 02:21 PM
WAY TO GO!!!

jgc61sr2002
05-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Rangero - Congrats and good luck with your new ride. Enjoy.:up:

RCSignals
05-28-2003, 06:06 PM
Rangero congrats. You won't regret it!

the fat bastid
05-28-2003, 07:29 PM
the mm handling is great. i went from a tiny 1983 accord to the mm. the best thing was that i didnt feel the wieght difference and didnt need to change driving habits...it handles sharp and takes corners so well it surprised me it was even possible.

and coming from a spine breaking '83 ride to the mm is like night and day...the mm rides rough? surely you jest! (this is relative to me since i've never driven a gm/town car/ etc..).
but my parents like it and they usally drive a 95 buick lesabre.

and i dont find anything wrong with the seats but i'm tiny compared to most of guys here. 5'9" 160.

edit: note to self, try reading ALL the replys before posting...whoops