PDA

View Full Version : Traded MM for this?!

Badger
02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Bad brakes...no acceleration...
Only temporary....

jimlam56
02-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Boy I've driven a few hundred of those...
Seems like every year they get slower, with worse build quality...

Badger
02-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Had one back in the early 90's as a POV. Man that sucked. My CV put it to shame.

Rider90
02-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey it gets you from point A to B :)

Hotrauder
02-15-2006, 04:29 PM

Exactly, as I tell my wife, It is not about the time saved. Its about the experience. Time spent experiencing the wonderful Taurus is time better spent walking. Everytime I see one on the road I wonder WHY. :confused:

Marauder2005
02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Those cars have a good motor in them though, its the Mazda 6 motor

is it not?

Badger
02-15-2006, 05:15 PM
3.0 vulcan. Drum brakes in the rear. No pickup. Makes me miss the MM even more.
But the plates make it worth while.

mrjones
02-15-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't know why everybody gripes about these cars. They're certainly not as cool as the MM, but they're not THAT bad. I've got an 03 SE Wagon at work. It's got the DOHC 3.0, and while it's not as powerful as the MM, it's certainly no slouch either. My girls absolutely LOVE the rear facing third seat.

Badger
02-15-2006, 05:29 PM
This one isn't the 24V engine.
Wind noise is higher at 70mph.
Road feels disconnected.
Steering numb.
Seat uncomforatble.
Unibody is actually jarring at times.
I like driving other cars. Makes me appreciate mypov even more.

ckadiddle
02-15-2006, 06:45 PM
I drove a friend's 98 Town Car home from the body shop the other day. Very comfy ride, but when I pulled out in traffic and floored it I had to yell at it to get its big azz moving. I am soooooo spoiled to the Marauder. I mentioned that there are ways to make her Town Car move a little better..she said "Oh Yeah? How????"... she liked the idea of performance modding her Lincoln heeheehee... whoda thought that?

mrjones
02-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Those cars have a good motor in them though, its the Mazda 6 motor is it not?

The Mazda has a version of the Ford DOHC motor, but they use their own heads with variable valve timing for about 20 or 30 more hp.

Bluerauder
02-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Only temporary....
Well as long as it is only temporary .... you can struggle through it. ;) I have had several as rental cars over the years. I do prefer the 24V version, though !!

I considered getting a Taurus back in 1997 but I didn't like the test drive -- it felt stiff and unnatural. Ended up with a Thunderbird LX. :D

sweetair
02-15-2006, 08:49 PM
I went from a 94 Taurus to my MM. That was 2.5 yrs ago. The 3.0 Vulkcan ran great. When the air, ABS, and shift park interlock and a 126K it was time to let it go. You might say a slight up grade.:coolman:

STLR FN
02-15-2006, 11:58 PM
And to think for 2 or 3 years it was America's best selling car and helped resuscitate Ford. My how the times have changed.

I liked my SHO but that's a horse of a different color.

Haggis
02-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Bad brakes...no acceleration...
Only temporary....
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Brendan say it is not so!!!! What would possess you to trade the Marauder for a Taurus?

TAF
02-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Not bad...I guess...

But it AIN'T the MIGHTY SABLE!!!!!!!

* a little humor ^^^^for those who've been around here for 3 years only

SID210SA
02-16-2006, 08:20 AM
I guess I'm in the small boat, but I liked my '01 Taurus, I bought it used with 15K on it and never had a problem with it...looked real nice...got to say though it has nothing on the Marauder, but it was a good car...

TripleTransAm
02-16-2006, 08:51 AM

True, and as a bonus you get a good restful sleep in between (especially when you're the driver).

All my lowliest Civics (including my self-assembled 1984 4 door) had a greater fun-to-drive quotient than any Taurus I've ever driven. The only Taurus I semi-enjoyed driving was a rental Jag X-type in Feb 2002, and even then it was only worth it above 5000 RPM (when the non-Ford hipo heads took over).

Sully008
02-16-2006, 09:01 AM
I guess I'm in the small boat, but I liked my '01 Taurus, I bought it used with 15K on it and never had a problem with it...looked real nice...got to say though it has nothing on the Marauder, but it was a good car...

I liked my '02 Taurus SEL as well. It was black, fully loaded except for leather. Had the DOHC engine. It was a nice, comfortable car that did it's duty well. When I was shopping for a new car, they just stopped selling the CV in Canada, and the Taurus was my only choice in a "large" family vehicle. When the MM came out, I couldn't swing the MSRP they wanted for it, so I kept the Taurus until my lease was up.

Leadfoot281
02-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Enjoy the total anonymity you'll get from driving that car. You should go knock over a few banks and gas stations while you have that car. The police can't pull over every Taurus/Sable on the road.

(don't listen to me, I'm only joking):D

Badger
02-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Haggis: TDY
It was nice having the Government plates on it too.
Back to driving the MM this weekend! :D

texascorvette
02-19-2006, 07:27 AM
If they gave you a Taurus for a company car, put gas in it, did the maintenance, and paid the insurance, that equates to about a thousand bucks a month gift. That makes one a pleasure to drive

Badger
02-19-2006, 08:10 AM
I got tired of never getting reimbursed the correct amount for POV on TDY.
Picking up rental cars is a PITA too, along with long lines and hassels waiting at pass offices.
Taurus was an alright car. Averaged 26mpg on the hwy. Felt a lot more of the pavement cracks and road surface. Didn't realize how well the frame on body construction of the Panther platfrom gets rid of the fatigue of feeling every little bump.
Most importantly I didn't beat up my car up doing the mans business.

TripleTransAm
02-19-2006, 09:08 AM
When I was shopping for a new car, they just stopped selling the CV in Canada, and the Taurus was my only choice in a "large" family vehicle.

You should have also had the choice of a Grand Marquis, as they are sold by Ford dealers up here. The other large vehicle would be the Town Car but it's only available at select Ford dealers (that are 'authorized' to sell Lincolns).

In early 2003 my wife and I were debating over the choice of the Marauder: what swayed us was the statistic that the average age of the Grand Marquis new car buyer was 69 years old. That's the average age at the time of purchase of the new car. I was less than half of that at the time! So that was a point in favour of the MM.

TripleTransAm
02-19-2006, 09:12 AM
Not bad...I guess...

But it AIN'T the MIGHTY SABLE!!!!!!!

* a little humor ^^^^for those who've been around here for 3 years only

True. True...

(reminds me: I've been on this site for just a smidgeon over 3 years now. A lot has happened in my life since then, when I look back over that span. Just goes to show that you don't have to rely on exotic trips to far off places, there's plenty of adventure to be had in the mundane day-to-day if you know where to look)

Sully008
02-19-2006, 08:27 PM
You should have also had the choice of a Grand Marquis, as they are sold by Ford dealers up here. The other large vehicle would be the Town Car but it's only available at select Ford dealers (that are 'authorized' to sell Lincolns).

In early 2003 my wife and I were debating over the choice of the Marauder: what swayed us was the statistic that the average age of the Grand Marquis new car buyer was 69 years old. That's the average age at the time of purchase of the new car. I was less than half of that at the time! So that was a point in favour of the MM.

That's true, I did have those choices, but like you, I was less than half that age as well, plus I couldn't afford either one new. And they both had too much chrome. The Taurus was a compromise since I'm a diehard Ford guy, and nothing else at that time interested me. When I had the opportunity to get my MM used, the price came down enough for me to afford it.