PDA

View Full Version : The sound of death .

MarauderMark
02-21-2006, 06:28 PM
When i drive my car then stop somewhere and turn it off everytime i walk to the front to hear a hollow sound comming from as it sounds behind grill.The same sound as if you allmost pucker up to whistle and blow air out making a hollow tone.The sound is totally bad ass sounding so i call it the sound of death:D .Am i the only one that this happens too?:dunno:

Hotrauder
02-21-2006, 06:34 PM
If I walk in front, I get the full wolf whistle, but then my car is a pig. Dennis:D

Bluerauder
02-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Am i the only one that this happens too?:dunno:
Nah, I hear something similar after I shut mine down. Kinda sounds like a rush of air or a wheeze being released from the air compressor. It takes about 5-10 seconds 'cause I am usually crossing in front of the car when it happens. :D

Please don't call this the Sound of Death. That sounds very expensive. :rolleyes:

marauderboi
02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
our car did that when we installed our cold air intake

TripleTransAm
02-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Wild ass guess: when you turn off the motor, it's been operating at idle RPM with the throttle closed shut, breathing only through that controlled vacuum leak called the IAC. There's a high amount of vacuum in the plenum at that moment, and I guess it *could* take a bit of time for the outside air to rush in through the IAC to equalize the pressures inside the plenum. I have no idea if the IAC valve parks itself in a certain fashion (ie. all open or all closed) when you turn off the motor. I also don't know if the rate of air rushing into the plenum is slow enough to allow you to continue to hear this even after getting out of the car and walking up front.

This noise is easily observed on a carbureted car with the air cleaner removed. There is no IAC on a carb, only a set minimum opening for the throttle blades. Shut the motor off and you'll hear a second or so of hiss after all the underhood activity has ceased. It's a sound that brings a smile to my face, and I sometimes find any excuse to mess around with the carb on my '78 when I have nothing interesting to do. (below photo snapped by my wife this summer without my knowledge)

http://www.tripletransam.com/78ta/2005/DSCF1775.jpg

Edit: another guess: possibly the sound of a cooling fan winding down if you shut down while the fan was in operation.

DEFYANT
02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Are you sure it's not you flatulating? Maybe the car is breathing a *sigh* of releaf? :D

blackf0rk
02-21-2006, 07:29 PM
I have that sound in my car too, but I do not think it's a fan since the sound seems to be almost instant on - i like the sound of it too :)

SID210SA
02-21-2006, 08:09 PM
I have that sound also...sounds cool....almost like Darth's exhale

sweetair
02-21-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm with Defyant on this one. It probably is some flatulence.:stupid: LOL

hitchhiker
02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Are you sure it's not you flatulating? Maybe the car is breathing a *sigh* of releaf? :D

... OMG CAR FARTZ ...

:lol: :lol:

JMan
02-21-2006, 09:43 PM
When i drive my car then stop somewhere and turn it off everytime i walk to the front to hear a hollow sound comming from as it sounds behind grill.The same sound as if you allmost pucker up to whistle and blow air out making a hollow tone.The sound is totally bad ass sounding so i call it the sound of death:D .Am i the only one that this happens too?:dunno:

Are you sure it's not your air suspension compensating for the removal of your derriere. Next time wait twenty seconds after shut down and then get out and see if you still hear "The Sound Of Death". That would rule out any intake or a/c noises. My car does that also. It also pumps back up every morning after my son and my fat derriere get in to leave.:o

Good luck,

J

dwasson
02-21-2006, 09:49 PM
If I walk in front, I get the full wolf whistle, but then my car is a pig. Dennis:D

I'd be concerned. Your car thinks that you are hot.

TripleTransAm
02-21-2006, 10:04 PM
I've heard an "instant-on" type of hiss coming from the car that corresponds with the air suspension letting out excess air moments after I get my fat ass out of the car. However, I can't remember if the air bleed is up front or at the rear.

Edit: Jman, Didn't see your reply while I was composing this, seems like we had not only the same idea but the same method of self-description! LOL!

Edit2: does that mean the suspension bleeds air up front, then?

DarthMarauder
02-21-2006, 10:24 PM
I'd be concerned. Your car thinks that you are hot.

Well I'm sure he drives her hard. So why wouldn't she think he is hot. Are you guys gonna have to bring back the Mercury Mistress. :lol:

Bigdogjim
02-21-2006, 11:18 PM
My car does that also. It also pumps back up every morning after my son and my fat derriere get in to leave.:o Good luck,J

I don't know about that? I am about 365lbs. and my car makes no sounds?

After 3 1/2 years and 30,000 miles of carting me around quite is all I hear.

ctrlraven
02-21-2006, 11:49 PM
i've heard the same thing before and ive had my hood open and standing in front of the intake system and had my g/f shut the car off. it sounds like its coming from the intake system. dont know what its for but prolly some cooling or depressuring of the intake of sort who knows but yes it does bring a smile to my face and think the Marauder really is the big brother of the cobra but only with 4 doors and sexy curves like a full figured woman lol

JMan
02-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Well I'm sure he drives her hard. So why wouldn't she think he is hot. Are you guys gonna have to bring back the Mercury Mistress. :lol:

Ha,ha,ha! I think about that every time I see Dennis' car!:lol:

J

ctrlraven
02-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Ha,ha,ha! I think about that every time I see Dennis' car!:lol:

J speaking of the mercury mistress.... here is the link to the video :banana: :lol: http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/686.html

Bluerauder
02-22-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm with Defyant on this one. It probably is some flatulence.:stupid: LOL
Don't think so .... if it was, my wife would be the first to let me know !!! :rofl:

marauder307
02-22-2006, 12:29 PM
... OMG CAR FARTZ ...

Well, y'know....excessive amounts of rice can give ya gas...:cool4:

Smokey
02-22-2006, 12:41 PM
That is an amusing video, even if it is a Lincoln Continental and not a Mercury. :)

RF Overlord
02-22-2006, 12:56 PM
The Blackbird makes that same "exhale of death" sound frequently. It's the air suspension bleeding off pressure to maintain ride height when my fat ass gets out of the car. It's perfectly normal. (the sound, not my ass...)

magindat
02-22-2006, 01:05 PM
It's the air suspension.
When you hear it, run to the rear tires and watch the gap between the tire and fender close up.
It sounds cool. No trouble.

StevenJ
02-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Nah, I hear something similar after I shut mine down. Kinda sounds like a rush of air or a wheeze being released from the air compressor. It takes about 5-10 seconds 'cause I am usually crossing in front of the car when it happens. :D

Please don't call this the Sound of Death. That sounds very expensive. :rolleyes:

The exhaust cycles after my car shuts off. You hear a lot of crackling and poping sounds. Especially when I park it in the garage.

Bluerauder
02-22-2006, 01:57 PM
The exhaust cycles after my car shuts off. You hear a lot of crackling and poping sounds.
No, that's a different sound altogether. That's the pinging & ringing caused by the expansion and contraction of the exhaust tips. :D

RCSignals
02-22-2006, 03:01 PM

Edit2: does that mean the suspension bleeds air up front, then?

yes, that's where the compressor is

04MRADR
02-23-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm with Bluerauder. I noticed it the first time I got out of the car when I bought it in August 04 and have heard it ever since. I pull into my drive way every day and walk in front of the car to open my garage door and hear it every time. And yes, it sounds like Darth Vader exhaling and is really cool!

04MRADR
02-23-2006, 07:59 PM
:cool: I agree with Bluerauder. I bought my o4 Marauder in August 04. The first night I pulled into my driveway and walk to the front of the car I heard the sound. I'v heard it every day since then. And yes Bluerauder is right when he says it sound like Darth Vader exhaling. I think the sound is really cool!

BAD MERC
02-23-2006, 09:32 PM
It could be the vacuum from the HVAC system bleeding off.