PDA

View Full Version : Project Chevelle taking on form

BillyGman
02-23-2006, 04:08 AM
My big block muscle car project is finally beginning to show a little progress. In the first pic, you'll be looking at the frame sitting upside down, after being sandblasted and welded. if you look close, you can see that the frame rails have been boxed in just as I requested. So there's now a 4th side to the rails for added frame strength and rigidity....

also note that in the next two pics after that, where you see the frame painted, those are just the throw away tires and wheels that I bought the car with. They're not staying on, but you can see the new steering box, steering linkage, and the new big block springs....

BillyGman
02-23-2006, 04:19 AM
here's one more shot of the body looking at the fire wall, and a few more shots of the mountain motor that's going in the car by the time all is said and done. You guys just don't know how tempted I am to throw the starter on, and hook-up a battery, a fuel pump and a fuel source and fire that engine up right on the skid!!! I'm sure my neighbors would LUV me for all the noise it would make.....

martyo
02-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Looking good Billy!

JMan
02-23-2006, 04:56 AM
Billy,
When do we get details on that powerplant? Brodix, Edelbrock heads, Comp or Pass block, internals forged? Come on, fess up!

J

BillyGman
02-23-2006, 05:12 AM
Billy,
When do we get details on that powerplant? Brodix, Edelbrock heads, Comp or Pass block, internals forged? Come on, fess up!

JNot a problem my friend.....

World Products Merlin 632 C.I. engine built by the Bill Mitchell company.
Merlin III aluminum cylinder heads with 350 cc intake runners and 118 cc chambers.

valve size- 2.30" intake 1.88" exhaust (Manley stainless steel severe duty valves)

1.7 ratio roller rocker arms with stud girdles

Lunati solid roller cam- 268/271 (int./exh.) duration @.050" lift

.705"/.708" lift (int./exh.)

Merlin tall deck iron block with splayed 4 bolt main billet steel bearing caps

Callies 4.75" stroke forged crankshaft

Eagle 4340 forged H-beam connecting rods w/L-19 bolts

Mahle flat top forged & coated pistons (4.600" bore)

Merlin-X single plane aluminum intake manifold

1050 cfm Holley Dominator carb

Dynoed & broken in

800 HP @5,900 RPM
775 ft/LBS torque @4,000 RPM (all on pump gas)

compression ratio- 10.5:1 ( will run on 93 octane pump gas all day long).

JMan
02-23-2006, 05:27 AM
Not a problem my friend.....

World Products Merlin 632 C.I. engine built by the Bill Mitchell company.
Merlin III aluminum cylinder heads with 350 cc intake runners and 118 cc chambers.

valve size- 2.30" intake 1.88" exhaust (Manley stainless steel severe duty valves)

1.7 ratio roller rocker arms with stud girdles

Lunati solid roller cam- 268/271 (int./exh.) duration @.050" lift

.705"/.708" lift (int./exh.)

Merlin tall deck iron block with splayed 4 bolt main billet steel bearing caps

Callies 4.75" stroke forged crankshaft

Eagle 4340 forged H-beam connecting rods w/L-19 bolts

Mahle flat top forged & coated pistons (4.600" bore)

Merlin-X single plane aluminum intake manifold

1050 cfm Holley Dominator carb

Dynoed & broken in

800 HP @5,900 RPM
775 ft/LBS torque @4,000 RPM

compression ratio- 10.5:1 ( will run on 93 octane pump gas all day long).

From the looks of that cam duration and your comments, I presume this is going to be a street car? That is scary, very scary! 775'lbs of torque on the street, WOW :burnout: . I guess when all is said and done, we'll get another awesome BillyGman burnout video?

I can't help but love big-blocks. There is something to be said about insane torque! Best of luck with your project car/missile. Try to keep it under the speed limit :lol: .

J

BillyGman
02-23-2006, 05:33 AM
From the looks of that cam duration and your comments, I presume this is going to be a street car? That is scary, very scary! 775'lbs of torque on the street, WOW :burnout: . I guess when all is said and done, we'll get another awesome BillyGman burnout video?

I can't help but love big-blocks. There is something to be said about insane torque! Best of luck with your project car/missile. Try to keep it under the speed limit :lol: .

JLOL.....yep, a street car it will be. One that will see some dragstrip time every once in awhile. This engine is supposed to be making 715 FT/LBS of torque by 3,000 RPM's. If you have some tree stumps you want pulled out, then we can drop it in a 4x4 and take care of them. :D

A new burnout vid is a good possibility. ;) BTW, the camshaft is a "high torque" circle track cam that can also be used for drag racing, and it states in the Lunati catalogue that it's "easy on valvetrain parts"...I sure hope so!!!

JMan
02-23-2006, 06:23 AM
;) BTW, the camshaft is a "high torque" circle track cam that can also be used for drag racing, and it states in the Lunati catalogue that it's "easy on valvetrain parts"...I sure hope so!!!

Ha,ha,ha! Me thinks it is driver input that determines stress on engine and driveline parts! 715'lbs @ 3000rpm. Holy smokeshow Batman! If you can get it to hook, you'll have sixty footers in the low ones and a really sore neck :bows: .

J

BillyGman
02-23-2006, 09:25 AM
715'lbs @ 3000rpm. Holy smokeshow Batman! If you can get it to hook, you'll have sixty footers in the low ones and a really sore neck :bows: .

J I think you're right. Getting this thing to hook is really going to be the icing on the cake, and it's likely going to be a challenge. Some guys say that there's no way that's going to happen w/out tubbing out the wheel wells and getting an all-out drag car back half with a four link suspension and shortening the axles. But I spoke to a guy who runs his Chevelle consistently in the 8 second bracket, and he says it can be done with some suspension bolt-ons, and some tweaking. So I guess time will tell.

I think that the toughest part for me is going to be trying to keep this car a true street driven, and all around vehicle. What I mean is, one that will still take turns pretty well, while at the same time, being able to hook up at the dragstrip. For instance, I plan on using big sway bars in the front and back of the car for better handling, and yet I'll also be running a locker rear for better traction. I won't even expect it to hook-up completely at full throttle from a stop light on the street, because even my 12 second Marauder won't do that.

But I do have hopes of atleast getting it to hook off the line at the dragstrip (just like my Marauder does). But this is definately going to be a learning curve for me. I'll be experimenting with different suspension stuff as the need arises. And I'll also be testing the waters a little at a time as far as trying to manage the power of this thing both on and off the track. This isn't a vehicle that I'm going to be able to jump in for the first or second time, and just hammer the go pedal to the floor right away. So that's some of the things that are going through my thought process concerning the future experience with driving this car.