PDA

View Full Version : US to Canada shipping tax ??

Thomas C Potter
02-23-2006, 04:52 PM
If a Canadian buys something from the US, is there a tax due upon receipt regardless of the shipping company?? Is there a significant difference in tax between USPostal Service and UPS?? Say a box with some car parts in it.

chasrein01
02-23-2006, 07:05 PM
My wife works in a company that ships internationally. Here's what she has to say "New tax laws are taking effect very soon & are being back dated to 2005. It depends on the state that you are dealing with. Also, depending on the shipping method / or if the company you are dealing with ships through a brokerage firm (which will deal with the costs / time), your package may be stopped in customs & you will be charged tarriffs &/or duties. Only if the package is under a certain weight & size will it pass. Your best bet is if they can ship Global Priority Mail, Global Priority Flat Rate or Global Priority Variable Weight. These cost from $7.50 to $34.50, and that is for say the size of a 7 1/2" X 9" Book (2-4 lbs). Anything larger or heavier will be stopped by customs. It can take up to 3 weeks in customs."

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear.

Hotrauder
02-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Recently sent a box to Steve (Triple Trans Am) in Montreal.. UPS was about the same as USPS but wanted an additional $25 surcharge for Canadian delivery. I have no explanation. Dennis:down:

QWK SVT
02-23-2006, 08:30 PM
If a Canadian buys something from the US, is there a tax due upon receipt regardless of the shipping company?? Is there a significant difference in tax between USPostal Service and UPS?? Say a box with some car parts in it.

I frequently have items shipped to me, from the US. If the item is relatively small in size, send it USPS (Global Priority with tracking number). It will take about the same as UPS, but cost the reciever MUCH less, because of brokerage.

Case in point: I ordered a $350 Wideband, sent USPS and a $450 set of mid pipes/cats, sent via UPS, all on the same day.

USPS shipment was recieved one day quicker. The shipper 'forgot' to put the "3" in the price on the customs docs. I paid about $15 Canadian, to claim my prize.:coolman:

UPS came the next day, labelled at cost. I paid $145 Canadian, for taxes and BROKERAGE. That's what really kills you. 15% tax, with another $60 bucks on top of that. :mad2: