PDA

View Full Version : Wantin To Buy A Bug

KillJoy
02-23-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't know why, but for some reason I am really wanting to buy an older VW Beelte. Been searchin online, and I can get one for about $3K in pretty good shape. $5K for a really good one, and sub grand for a beater.

Am I the only one here???

KillJoy

Hotrauder
02-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Yup! :lol: Dennis

Rider90
02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Yup! :lol: Dennis
:stupid:
Get out. :baaa:

Marauder386
02-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Working on a 1970 Type 3 Fastback right now...gonna try and stuff a small V8 in the azz of it...

:coolman:

the_pack_rat
02-23-2006, 07:44 PM
I always told myself when I was rich with acres & acres of land, I might like to own one to get around my property ...... instead of some golf cart.

On second thought .....

I think a Jeep Wrangler or Mini-Cooper would be a better choice.

And when I'm not using it on my land ...... I could keep the Mini Cooper alongside the spare in my normal sized cars ..... in case I'd rather not change a tire right then & there.

:lol:

jimlam56
02-24-2006, 04:22 AM
I played around with them a lot a few years back, took a 67 sedan down to the last nut and bolt and restored it. They are easy to work on for an amateur like me,but my problem is they are to dam small to drive on today's roads...3 bugs equal 1 Expedition... Look for rust between the front fender and the door, and in front of the rear fender. Nowadays you can get about 200hp out of the VW flat four, not bad for a 1600 pound car.

MarauderMark
02-24-2006, 05:44 AM
Working on a 1970 Type 3 Fastback right now...gonna try and stuff a small V8 in the azz of it...

Oh man i would like to see pics of that if you take any..:D

vwdeano
02-24-2006, 06:23 AM
You're not alone...

I had a '63 Beetle that I just got rid of last year. Also had an '02 Snap Orange Turbo. Both of them a lot of fun. The '63 was a lot easier to work on, however, LOL.

When garage space permits, I'll have another pre-'67...

KillJoy
02-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Nowadays you can get about 200hp out of the VW flat four, not bad for a 1600 pound car.

EXACTLY! That's well above the magic 10:1 (weight to HP) rating that makes a car fun!

How many kids in their hopped up rice balls would expect to be stomped my a poor little bug:D

I just sold my bike last night, so I do have some cash available (intended for the CC :help: ) Maybe a purchase is in my furure???

KillJoy

Cheeseheadbob
02-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Hell no. I drove a neon green '74 all around Europe for four years and had a blast. I too am looking for a bug in great shape. Enjoy your search!

KillJoy

KillJoy
02-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Europe for four years

?!? What were you doin' in Europe for 4 years??? Military Service, School, fun/family??

Sorry, just curious.

KillJoy

Cheeseheadbob
02-24-2006, 08:22 AM
I was working for the Green Machine! 55G30.
?!? What were you doin' in Europe for 4 years??? Military Service, School, fun/family??

Sorry, just curious.

KillJoy

Hotrauder
02-24-2006, 08:39 AM
:stupid:
Get out. :baaa:

:wave: :rofl: I still have one. Dennis

jimlam56
02-24-2006, 09:34 AM
I think everybody on this board has had one at one time or another.
I still have a 1970 sedan behind the barn waiting for me to decide what to do with it...

KillJoy
02-24-2006, 09:55 AM
You do have to admit, an older bug, nicely redone w/ a 200HP motor would stomp most everything it found on the street (prodided traction).

That would equal to a MM w/ about 550HP at the crank! It appears much easier, safer and more reliabe out of the little bug.

Definately interested!

KillJoy

chicago_cop
02-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't know why, but for some reason I am really wanting to buy an older VW Beelte. Been searchin online, and I can get one for about $3K in pretty good shape. $5K for a really good one, and sub grand for a beater.

KillJoy

The newer ones had real Quality issues. Window falls down into door. Other stuff falling off. Heard this from more than one scource. The same with the Golf. The Pasat is a Good car.

KillJoy
02-24-2006, 01:17 PM
My wife had a 2000 New Beetle. In the 5 years we had it, it was in the shop for 33 MAJOR problem. O2 Sensors, MAS, Dash, Misc Sensors and Doo Dads.

Major PITA.

KillJoy

dwasson
02-24-2006, 03:47 PM

I knew a guy who put a Toronado engine and transaxle in the back of a beetle. It didn't last long. The chassis twisted whenever he got on it hard. He said that the doors would open when he launched hard and the windshield popped out once.

Later I was thinking about building a kit car and a company called Kelmark had a subframe for mounting a V8 into a VW floorpan. A subframe would probably be a good idea.

dwasson
02-24-2006, 03:49 PM
You do have to admit, an older bug, nicely redone w/ a 200HP motor would stomp most everything it found on the street (prodided traction).

That would equal to a MM w/ about 550HP at the crank! It appears much easier, safer and more reliabe out of the little bug.

Definately interested!

KillJoy

You should check out the stuff the VW club people are doing. They are getting some outrageous 1/4 miles times from the VW block.

jimlam56
02-24-2006, 05:17 PM
You should check out the stuff the VW club people are doing. They are getting some outrageous 1/4 miles times from the VW block.
The key is to discard the VW chassis and get a tube frame chassis to bolt onto the stock body. That opens up a lot of possibilities engine and suspension-wise. Plus you can get down to 1200 pounds or so.
Just what I'm thinking about doing with my 1970 sedan...

the_pack_rat
02-24-2006, 06:15 PM
There's a guy on the Toronado mail list that parted out a 71/2 Toronado & put the engine(possibly trans) into a Beetle.

455 cubes in a Beetle ......

Don't get much scarier than that.

I'll have to find his contact info. He sent me pics a few years ago as well .... but I've since lost the hardrive they were on.

KillJoy
02-24-2006, 08:40 PM
There's a guy on the Toronado mail list that parted out a 71/2 Toronado & put the engine(possibly trans) into a Beetle.

455 cubes in a Beetle ......

Don't get much scarier than that.

I'll have to find his contact info. He sent me pics a few years ago as well .... but I've since lost the hardrive they were on.

Man, that would be nuckin futs! Kinda like a Boss Hoss 502! Scary Fast and hella loud!

Hmmmm....... maybe I should just "Buy It Now" :D

KillJoy

Marauder386
02-24-2006, 09:28 PM
HMMMMM...good food for thought...may have to change oars in mid-stream...Thank you for this info...:burnout:

I knew a guy who put a Toronado engine and transaxle in the back of a beetle. It didn't last long. The chassis twisted whenever he got on it hard. He said that the doors would open when he launched hard and the windshield popped out once.

Later I was thinking about building a kit car and a company called Kelmark had a subframe for mounting a V8 into a VW floorpan. A subframe would probably be a good idea.