PDA

View Full Version : I can not get enough of this!!

DEFYANT
02-24-2006, 05:23 PM
I have been listening to David Gilmours new title track to "On An Island" and can't get enough!

Take a listen for yourself:
http://columbiarecords.com/davidgilmour/

Gilmour has out done himself and proves he still has it! I can not wait until the concert.

:banana: :rasta:

jimlam56
02-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Me too Charlie. Still waiting for my Pulse dvd, looks like September now...
If you like classic rock, Robin Trower has some new good stuff out...
www.trowerpower.com (http://www.trowerpower.com)

Rider90
02-24-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone! I think I played it atleast 8 times straight, very calming.

MarauderMark
02-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Robin Trower has some new good stuff out...
www.trowerpower.com (http://www.trowerpower.com)
Bridge of sighs was his best.Excellent.:up:

mpearce
02-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Remember when the Pulse CD came out a while back? It had that battery in it with the flashing light? I believe I was in high school when that came out. All of my friends thought, and even I believed, that when the red light on the CD case went out...a new Pink Floyd album would be in the stores. Did anyone else hear the same thing? Just curious. Anyway...I'm sure that light went out a good 6 years ago anyway. I remember having that CD case in college, and the light still blinked. Very faintly, but it blinked. I love Pink Floyd. I have to say Animals was my favorite album.

-Mat

p.s. The song sounds awesome. No ones guitar sounds like that. Very distinctive.

Mike Poore
02-25-2006, 04:01 AM
Anyone else, but me, know what Pink Floyd is? :D

Marauderjack
02-25-2006, 04:46 AM
Derived from the names of two blues musicians......Pink Anderson and Floyd Council???:confused:

Do I win a Marauder??:banana: :bows: :beer:

Marauderjack:D ;)

DEFYANT
02-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Derived from the names of two blues musicians......Pink Anderson and Floyd Council???:confused:

Do I win a Marauder??:banana: :bows: :beer:

Marauderjack:D ;)

You are correct sir. Not many people know that. However, since you failed to mention the year, color and available options for the Marauder, You will forfit it to the thread starter.

Thats me :D .

Bluerauder
02-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Anyone else, but me, know what Pink Floyd is? :D
Ain't that the color of a Marauder in Detroit with 28 inch wheels, gull wing doors, bleacher seat spoiler, 6 TVs, and the electric S/C ? :rofl:

I always confuse that color with T!dd* Pink. :D

94_302
02-25-2006, 03:47 PM
It was on the radio today and my friend was all confused because he had never heard it before so when we got back he went on google and was all excited because he did not know there was a new cd coming out. Personally I don't know much about pink floyd, I have probably heard a few songs but did not know it was them. Are most of them like this one, cause it seemed fairly mellow.

DEFYANT
02-25-2006, 03:52 PM
It was on the radio today and my friend was all confused because he had never heard it before so when we got back he went on google and was all excited because he did not know there was a new cd coming out. Personally I don't know much about pink floyd, I have probably heard a few songs but did not know it was them. Are most of them like this one, cause it seemed fairly mellow.

If you liked this song, check out Pink Floyds "The Division Bell" and David Gilmours DVD "David Gilmour - In Concert." It was released around 2000.

Rider90
02-25-2006, 04:42 PM
If you liked this song, check out Pink Floyds "The Division Bell" and David Gilmours DVD "David Gilmour - In Concert." It was released around 2000.
BTW Charlie, According to Amazon.com - Live at Pompei and Roger Waters - In The Flesh should be arriving at my door this week. Next up will be a Gilmour-Related DVD.

TripleTransAm
02-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Personally I don't know much about pink floyd, I have probably heard a few songs but did not know it was them. Are most of them like this one, cause it seemed fairly mellow.

There are several flavours of Floyd, primarily because of two very distinct sources of inspiration. One of them provided a musical direction through a lyrical sense, the other spoke mostly through his guitar playing. Hence, the post-Roger-Waters Pink Floyd has a different feel to the 80s and later products. (Heck, if you want to be technical, there's a third variant from the mid to late 60s, which in itself is unique due to the creative input of one very messed-up front man who sizzled to a crisp by the time Pink Floyd had released 3 or 4 very psychedelic albums).

The 70s' Pink Floyd took the 'classic' progressive rock ingredients and layered on a polish so thick you could practically see it from outer space. I believe this to be due to the influence of the production team, primarily Alan Parsons who (in my opinion) took album production to heights of creativity not yet seen until his time.

So at that time you had the bands like Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, etc. doing all the right 'prog' stuff like using distorted (Leslie'd) B3 Organs, crunchy and sharp Gibson leads/rhythm, odd and varying time signatures, punchy Rickenbacker virtuoso bass lines, long one-song-per-side concepts, and out-of-this-world fantasy/poetic lyrics... and Pink Floyd took all that and played their B3s clean, muted the bass lines to a tight background layer, took the use of stereo imaging to stellar heights and drove the songs with clean Stratocaster leads and rhythm layers. Not to mention the use of futuristic sound generators and the precursors to the synthesizers of the 80s. All of that recorded on equipment that seemed to be tweaked to within an inch of their lives, to capture everything as faithfully as possible. And the lyrics: no fantasy stuff here... mostly reflections on the mundane realities of day to day life, as seen through the eyes of a tortured soul.

You didn't just listen to those old Pink Floyd albums... you lived them. This was mostly due to the lyrical content, drawn from the personal angst and conflict suffered by the main lyricist. Many a teenager would slip on some headphones while listening to one of these musical adventures and find a musical reflection of whatever may have tormented him/her at the time. I won't even mention the number of times (back in my college radio days) that I played some of those albums to an audience that was rendered even more receptive due to toxic influences, if you get my drift.

When Roger Waters departed Pink Floyd, it changed the dynamics of the music. While the silky smooth playing of Gilmour was now the showcase, I think it signalled a new version of Floyd that cannot accurately be compared with the 70s version. Some excellent material is there, no doubt about it, but I feel it lost a bit of the personal touch that Waters used to provide. Mind you, by "The Final Cut", I thought he was going a bit overboard... my feelings at the time of first listening to it were 'jeez, go see a shrink, already!'. (perhaps I had already grown beyond the years of teenage torment myself, and was beginning to 'join the system'?)

The Gilmour track on that website is GOOD, very good. Very listenable, and I was definitely going to put that album on my list of 'gotta have' as I'm always searching for new material that shows some honest skillful and emotional playing. However, I spotted that the album appears to belong to Sony Music, and I'm a bit put off at buying albums from a company that forces you to install spyware to be able to listen to it on a PC.

I still can't get into Roger Waters' latest stuff (although his most recent 'single' was kind of okay). I still think it's another example of what happens when you get two (or more) very talented seeds of inspiration together: the sum of their collaboration almost always exceeds their individual capabilities. (see example like Dire Straits, Marillion, etc...)

jimlam56
02-25-2006, 05:39 PM
What station was playing David Gilmour?

94_302
02-28-2006, 03:05 PM
I believe it was 104.5 or something like that. I thought it was a little too mellow but I might go to bestbuy.com and listen to sound bits from the other generations of TripleT/A described.

TripleTransAm
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
I thought it was a little too mellow but I might go to bestbuy.com and listen to sound bits from the other generations of TripleT/A described.

You must have heard "Another Brick in the Wall" or "Young Lust" by now, no?

Anyway, a lot of the stuff may be considered "mellow" by, say, Nickelback standards, but it's more mind music than the mindless stuff out there now. Albums meant to be played from beginning to end, ideally with a copy of the lyrics to read along to.

Anyway, it's music from a time when people played actual real instruments, and laid down songs in takes rather than sampled bits. I get the feeling making an album back then was more of a rewarding experience than what it is today, with all the corrective electronics and cut/pasting.

I'm sure you'll recognize some of the songs.

SMOKE
03-07-2006, 04:20 PM
David Gilmour/Pink Floyd are the artist of the week on Sirius Channel 16. Currently playing a pre-recorded interview and new cuts from On An Island.

If you don't have Sirius, you could go to sirius.com website and try their free online trial. I think it gives you 5 days access to stream the Sirius lineup for 5 days. . .

Also playing decades of PF all day/all week. . .

GarageMahal
03-07-2006, 04:44 PM
David Gilmour/Pink Floyd are the artist of the week on Sirius Channel 16. Currently playing a pre-recorded interview and new cuts from On An Island.

If you don't have Sirius, you could go to sirius.com website and try their free online trial. I think it gives you 5 days access to stream the Sirius lineup for 5 days. . .

Also playing decades of PF all day/all week. . .

Been listening to it all week :) I wish they would just add an all Floyd channel... but at least there is one until Sunday.

jta

jimlam56
03-07-2006, 05:45 PM
My new David Gilmour cd shipped on Friday from Amazon...$12.99.
New stuff from Robin Trower too, check it out!

DefyantExWife
03-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Ain't that the color of a Marauder in Detroit with 28 inch wheels, gull wing doors, bleacher seat spoiler, 6 TVs, and the electric S/C ? :rofl:

I always confuse that color with T!dd* Pink. :D

ah come on, you guys arent *that* old. :rolleyes:

:geezer::geezer: <-------- Mike and Charlie (?) :D

mtnh
03-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Defyant: Thanks for rasing this up. BTW: what happened to the Pulse DVD that was supposed to have shipped already?

TTA -- Nice writing...

I've been hearing the new Gilmour songs on XM40, deep tracks. Very moving.

Mike

DEFYANT
03-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Defyant: Thanks for rasing this up. BTW: what happened to the Pulse DVD that was supposed to have shipped already?

TTA -- Nice writing...

I've been hearing the new Gilmour songs on XM40, deep tracks. Very moving.

Mike

Pulse!

I have been waiting for the DVD forever. I do not know what the hold up is. I have the LaserDisc. What an awsome performance. Pink Floyd asked Roger Waters to join the group to play Darkside of the Moon for the first time since the 73/74 tour. He :down: the idea.

TTA, very good write up.

I got my new DG CD today also. I hope to have some time to sit down with it tomorrow and give it a good listen.