PDA

View Full Version : Here's a legal question!

Blackmobile
02-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Can a van be driven with a generator RUNNING on a rear deck coming out of a trailer hitch on the streets and highway?

A couple of friends of mine wants me to drive his van for about 13 to 15
hours to their new home. And guess what the cargo in the van is.........
FISH, in partially filled tanks. All this to keep Fish alive. I would love not to do this, but I also think it's a good wedding present for the couple, returning to her home in Tennessee.

Blackened300a
02-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Can a van be driven with a generator RUNNING on a rear deck coming out of a trailer hitch on the streets and highway?.

There is a law here in NY that you cant drive a pick-up truck with the Tailgate down because it extends more then the legal limit amount of feet from the rear bumper. You may have to find out how many feet you are allowed past the rear bumper and make sure your tail lights arent blocked first.
Im not sure but I think they give you almost 3 feet past the bumper legally. This is for bike racks and spare tire covers. A local Cop may be able to tell you better

pantheroc
02-26-2006, 03:37 PM
What is the power requirement of the equipment to run the tanks? Maybe some of the high power inverters may work?

If a generator is already owned, well I see the point of saving money from buying an inverter.

Blackmobile
02-26-2006, 03:45 PM
If a generator is already owned, well I see the point of saving money from buying an inverter.

Yes, they have a generator.

O's Fan Rich
02-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Can a van be driven with a generator RUNNING on a rear deck coming out of a trailer hitch on the streets and highway?

A couple of friends of mine wants me to drive his van for about 13 to 15
hours to their new home. And guess what the cargo in the van is.........
FISH, in partially filled tanks. All this to keep Fish alive. I would love not to do this, but I also think it's a good wedding present for the couple, returning to her home in Tennessee.

Fish are shipped via air freight all the time up to 24hrs even 36. ( Fed-ex, Airborne) The larger the container the better the time limits. There are also stress relieving additives for the packages to help them cope with the trip.
One trick is to add oxygen to the bags when you pack them.
The real danger is temperature, too hot too cold depending on the type of fish you are shipping. Insulation is important.
There are battery operated air pumps available as well as inverters that plug into your lighter that will be more then enough to drive a pump or two. And they are relatively cheap (50-75 bucks).
I'd be more concerned about the shipping containers breaking along the way.

This of course requires proper acclimation procedures when they get to the new location. The trip won't kill them usually. The stress and strain and shock will.

BK_GrandMarquis
02-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah, a power inverter should be fine to run the air pumps. I would think that driving on the highway with loaded tanks is not a good idea. What about the decorations/rocks? How big are the tanks? How are you going to secure the tanks with all that water in there? That's a lot of weight. You'd have to take it real slow with the acceleration and turns. Then there is always the bumps you might hit.

It's probably safer just to pack them in big plastics bags like the shop does. You should be able to ask the local pet shop for some large bags. Even large clean tall buckets/pails might be a better idea. Maybe use some large garbage bags if your not sure the containers are clean.

I don't know if they still make it but there used to be something called Stress Coat for when your transporting fish like this.

Blackmobile
02-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah, a power inverter should be fine to run the air pumps. I would think that driving on the highway with loaded tanks is not a good idea. What about the decorations/rocks? How big are the tanks? How are you going to secure the tanks with all that water in there? That's a lot of weight. You'd have to take it real slow with the acceleration and turns. Then there is always the bumps you might hit.

It's probably safer just to pack them in big plastics bags like the shop does. You should be able to ask the local pet shop for some large bags. Even large clean tall buckets/pails might be a better idea. Maybe use some large garbage bags if your not sure the containers are clean.

I don't know if they still make it but there used to be something called Stress Coat for when your transporting fish like this.

well I believe they are going to stick to the generator idea, since they have to transport it anyway. The 5 tanks vary in size, from 10 gal. to a large one about 4 to 5 feet long and 2 to 3 feet deep.

BruteForce
02-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Not a good idea to transport water-filled tanks if they don't have secure water-tight lids. Even if you don't tip one over, you will probably slosh water all over the place.

Its not the weight itself that is the hazard. Its the fact that the weight will move to places you may not have intended.

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

jgc61sr2002
02-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Check with Bigdogjim - He is in the business and ships tropical fish.

O's Fan Rich
02-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Check with Bigdogjim - He is in the business and ships tropical fish.

I knew there was someone here who did that!