PDA

View Full Version : NYC ticket trap

dwasson
02-28-2006, 09:32 PM

New York City: Holiday Parking Ticket Trap
New York City, New York police are meeting ticket quotas by ticketing those parked legally on holidays.

A New York City, New York resident is fighting an uphill battle against a parking ticket he should never have received. On December 26, 2005 -- a recognized city holiday -- Edward Goldman was given a $65 ticket on 8th Avenue in a zone marked for no parking during weekdays. Under city law, weekday restrictions do not apply to city holidays. Goldman proceeded to write the city Department of Transportation to contest the ticket. The department wrote that it would cut the amount of the ticket down to just $43, an offer Goldman refused.

"I don't want the city to be able to hoodwink people and blatantly get money they are not entitled to," Goldman told WCBS-TV.

The New York City Office of Collective Bargaining confirmed in a ruling last month that the city police employ an illegal "summons quota for traffic violations in the precinct and by penalizing officers for failing to meet the stated number of traffic citations." With only a few days left in the month, the police officer who ticketed Goldman could have ticketed dozens of legally parked vehicles, leaving the car owners with little recourse, in order to meet his monthly "perfomance standards." Goldman's case was not isolated.

"A lot of people were getting tickets on that day that didn't deserve tickets, so something is going on," former city traffic commissioner Sam Schwartz told WCBS. "If it's an officer that's trying to make up for inactivity earlier in the month and suddenly has to produce some summonses, and writes what we used to call... garbage summonses."

Goldman must now appeal his case to an administrative law judge.

TripleTransAm
02-28-2006, 09:46 PM
The department wrote that it would cut the amount of the ticket down to just $43, an offer Goldman refused.

Takes balls... doesn't the law apply to everyone equally at all times? Why would lowering the invalid ticket to $43 possibly be an appealing offer?

dwasson
02-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Takes balls... doesn't the law apply to everyone equally at all times? Why would lowering the invalid ticket to $43 possibly be an appealing offer?

I set up a database system for a customer and, after all the testing, the customer pointed out that I had misspelled his name on a data field. I told him that it would be much easier if he changed his name.

I think that the Department of Transportation was just trying my idea.

Blackened300a
03-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Thank our Money Hungry Mayor Bloomberg for the ticket quota.
When he took office, he raised parking tickets from $55 to $110.
He also put more stress on traffic cops and regular cops to write tickets for every minor infraction that would have normally been overlooked or not worth writing up. Also when a ticket is issued to a vehicle it can be towed away. The Mayor made sure to add more tow trucks in the city to bang people out for the tow and storage.
There was even a story on the news how a traffic cop was writing false tickets like saying a car was too close to the hydrant when there wasnt even a hydrant on the block. Then he wrote a ticket saying a vehicle was 15 feet from the curb. when the news measured the distance at the address on the ticket, They found that 15 feet from the curb put them inside of a warehouse.
Its rough to park in Manhattan as it is, especially since the average parking garage will hit you for $25-$45 just to park for a few hours.
However
Its cheaper then a parking ticket and the tow

GreekGod
03-01-2006, 04:12 PM
The Law enforcement network (L.E.N.) has a saying..."you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride"