PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Super Bee

Donny Carlson
03-02-2006, 03:41 AM
BTW, the new server? Sux. May as well be on dial up.

This is not new news, came out mid January. Sorry if this is a repost.

Not since 1971 could you get a Charger Super Bee, but coming soon to a Dodge dealer near you..... the Charger SRT-8 Super Bee

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/images/charger-srt8-superbee1.jpg

http://www.mph-online.com/web/prtranslated/00455

BTW, Bob Lutz announced in Geneva that the GTO will return in '09 as a RWD with the LS2.

Rob1559
03-02-2006, 05:10 AM
That SRT may be quick, but.......................

DAMN it is a styling disaster. That body style is hideous. A four door Super Bee? Oxymoronic.

fastblackmerc
03-02-2006, 06:04 AM
That SRT may be quick, but.......................

DAMN it is a styling disaster. That body style is hideous. A four door Super Bee? Oxymoronic.
:down: I agree...... :down:

RoyLPita
03-02-2006, 07:05 AM
I guess they will showing up to where I work at.

MarauderMark
03-02-2006, 07:12 AM
I'll take one all black with yellow graphics.Any price?

usafsniper
03-02-2006, 07:51 AM
[quote=Donny Carlson].
Not since 1971 could you get a Charger Super Bee, but coming soon to a Dodge dealer near you..... the Charger SRT-8 Super Bee

Still an ugly as heck car...lines don't flow...should never have been a 4 door...can't believe they sell

rayjay
03-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Waiting on the Challenger...

TripleTransAm
03-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Not sure how different this Super Bee is from the Daytona I saw at the auto show this January (apart from the fact it's SRT-8 based).

http://www.stevepereira.com/photo/cars/DSCF5279_1.jpg

Oh yeah, I guess there's the scoop too (part of the SRT-8 package).

http://www.stevepereira.com/photo/cars/DSCF5301_1.jpg

STLR FN
03-02-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm starting to get sick :puke:

1 Bad Merc
03-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Looks like just another stripe kit added on. Not to expensive for Chrysler and gives them another model to sell using the same platform. I personally would not buy a foor-door Super Bee.:down:

rocknrod
03-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Now all they have to do is re-badge it as a Road Runner.
Then they could put a Superbird wing on it.
Gee, hope no one talks to their marketing department.
This is terrible:down:

Tallboy
03-02-2006, 11:06 AM
A lot of folks slam the Charger for being a four-door. Any of 'em own a Marauder? Weren't the original Marauders coupes? Weren't the 69-70 cars available only as coupes?

Didn't the Marauderr return as a sedan? Didn't you buy one, and love it?

Shaddup.:fishslap:

crouse
03-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Looks like the grill from a Durango.

txkent
03-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Now all they have to do is re-badge it as a Road Runner.
Then they could put a Superbird wing on it.
Gee, hope no one talks to their marketing department.
This is terrible:down:

Give one to a ricer. They'll put a wing on that needs FAA approval.

DL04
03-02-2006, 01:03 PM
A lot of folks slam the Charger for being a four-door. Any of 'em own a Marauder? Weren't the original Marauders coupes? Weren't the 69-70 cars available only as coupes?

Damn I was thinking the same thing-dont like em myself but at least their trying!:D

Bradley G
03-02-2006, 01:08 PM

Shaddup.:fishslap::baaa: Yeah! :neener:

duhtroll
03-02-2006, 01:20 PM
The Dodge Charger looks way cool.

Well, compared to the 300C that is. But then again, even Jack Bauer looks better than the 300C.

If I didn't have a Marauder, I'd be in a Charger. It has at least somewhat agressive styling, and is not flat-out boring like the Impala SS.

Bradley G
03-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Cool car, But they missed on the front, too much "truck like" for a sports car.IMOHO
The Dodge Charger looks way cool.

Well, compared to the 300C that is. But then again, even Jack Bauer looks better than the 300C.

If I didn't have a Marauder, I'd be in a Charger. It has at least somewhat agressive styling, and is not flat-out boring like the Impala SS.

mr.continental
03-02-2006, 01:25 PM

if i'm not mistaken, the marauder was available as a 4-door in '64 and '65, the second and third years of production.

marauder307
03-02-2006, 01:27 PM

Didn't the Marauder return as a sedan? Didn't you buy one, and love it?

Yes...although I woulda changed a few things.

I'm gonna agree with this one, with a qualification. TB's right; 4-door, schmor-door. In case you guys ain't noticed---and I really wonder---WE'RE driving four-doors. Anybody here remember the old saw about people living in glass houses?

However, you CAN criticize the Super Bee on one important point. The original Bees were the Dodge stablemate to the Plymouth Road Runner. Both of those cars were put out as stripper-sleepers; that is, you got only what it took to go ludricously fast, and maybe a few handling bits, and nothing else. Bench seats, no a/c to drag down the power, maybe no power steering, maybe power brakes but more likely not because that added weight and added weight is bad.

THIS Super Bee, on the other hand, violates that spirit because this is a maxed-out car. A/C? You betcha! And zone A/C too! Super-deluxe leather interior with the nice heated seats and color-keyed stitching too! Add in the second-biggest production engine you can get from Dodge (the Viper's V-10 being THE biggest)! We won't even get into the whacked-out graphics and ground-effects package...

THIS is where the new Super Bee falls short. You wanna criticize? There's your starting point.

Now...here's what a Road Runner looks like:

http://www.fastlanecars.com/vehicle_detail.asp?inventory_i d=708

And it's a beaut too. Dunno if I'd pay 37g for it though.

TripleTransAm
03-02-2006, 01:34 PM

They did something to the 300C which seems to have given it a slightly more luxurious look to it. I don't know if it was the lighting or what, but I actually found this one somewhat attractive. (although I found that car sat WAY high, I think it's because of the AWD setup, as I didn't notice that on any other 300 that was present):

http://www.stevepereira.com/photo/cars/DSCF5293_1.jpg

Still, even the base Charger model looks more aggressive, and more to my taste.

http://www.stevepereira.com/photo/cars/DSCF5288_1.jpg

Still, I prefer this particular model, styling-wise...

http://www.tripletransam.com/mm/2003/DSCF3353.JPG

... but I'm not sure I can handle the constant headaches. :(
I'm keeping a close eye on the Chrysler products, quality-wise, and one day it just will no longer be economically feasible for me to own an MM, so it's just a matter of time...

natedog1284
03-02-2006, 04:31 PM

LOL here here!
I've always been a MOPAR guy, and probably always will be. (My Merc is the first Ford I've ever even driven!) Personally, I love the styling of the Charger and 300's, and even though they don't look too much like the originals, (with exception to the 300's grille compared to that of a '57), I think it's a really attractive and agressive style, something Ford gets, and something Chevy has had a hard time understanding (GTO Grand Am anyone?). However, the latter seems to be finally catching on with the new Camaro. (But I haven't found anything new that I've liked better than the Challenger concept. :up:) But the point is, whether you like the styling or not, real, true American muscle cars are coming back, and, MOPAR lover or not, I'd buy any of these new cars. I missed the first great age of muscle cars, but it looks like I'm getting in on the ground floor for the second, and that's just plain awesome.
:beer:

bugsys03
03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Yes...although I woulda changed a few things.

THIS Super Bee, on the other hand, violates that spirit because this is a maxed-out car. A/C? You betcha! And zone A/C too! Super-deluxe leather interior with the nice heated seats and color-keyed stitching too! Add in the second-biggest production engine you can get from Dodge (the Viper's V-10 being THE biggest)! We won't even get into the whacked-out graphics and ground-effects package...

THIS is where the new Super Bee falls short. You wanna criticize? There's your starting point.

I disagree. All of those things is why I got rid of the MM and went back to Mopar. Total muscle car with all of the bling that my old 68 GTX didnt have.

Tallboy
03-02-2006, 06:40 PM
if i'm not mistaken, the marauder was available as a 4-door in '64 and '65, the second and third years of production.

I never said they weren't. The original ones [Pike's Peak, Nascar, etc.] were coupes. Sure, four-doors were available, but that just makes my point for me.

Kinda like the guys who b!tch about Mercury not advertising the car, then removing all the Mercury logos from their cars.:shake:

Jolly Roger
03-02-2006, 08:28 PM
BTW, the new server? Sux. May as well be on dial up.

This is not new news, came out mid January. Sorry if this is a repost.

http://www.mph-online.com/web/prtranslated/00455

BTW, Bob Lutz announced in Geneva that the GTO will return in '09 as a RWD with the LS2.

My memory must be failing me.
I seem to remember that the old Super Bee was built on the Dodge Coronet platform.
Maybe it's just me.:o

dwasson
03-02-2006, 08:41 PM
I seem to remember that the old Super Bee was built on the Dodge Coronet platform.

But it was a 2 door.

Maybe DCX should bring back the Fury nameplate. I liked that name.

mr.continental
03-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I never said they weren't. The original ones [Pike's Peak, Nascar, etc.] were coupes. Sure, four-doors were available, but that just makes my point for me.

Kinda like the guys who b!tch about Mercury not advertising the car, then removing all the Mercury logos from their cars.:shake:

I'm sorry for implying what your meaning was, but you should have made your statement a little more clear. The reason nobody complains about the Marauder being a 4-door, is because the original "production" version was avaliable that way. On the other hand, a 4-door Charger is like a 4-door GTO, it just shouldn't be.

Dodge should have taken the Fury name off Plymouth's tombstone and ran with it. Think about it, Dodge Fury, Dodge Fury R/T, and the Dodge Fury SRT-8. They all have a nice ring to them, and the car would have sold just as well.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.:burnout:

mr.continental
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM

In 1971 the Coronet became a full-size car. So Dodge put the Super Bee name on the Charger for that one year before taking out their big can of Raid and killing it.

Vortex
03-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Actually Im getting more used to the new Charger. No, it aint a 68 Charger (or for that matter, my buddy's old purple 70 Super Bee 383 with a white vinyl top and pistol grip shifter) but heck this is almost 40 years later and at least you can buy a kick ass RWD V8 car in the US. My brother in law has the big v6 Charger as a company car and its not bad, though much more cozy inside than our cars. I would imagine one with a hemi goes like hell because that same engine is in my big ass truck and it seems almost as fast as my MM sometimes. Anyway, we all know if Ford came out with anything like it, such as bringing over one of those 351 Aussie Falcons, we'd be all over them, and they dont look any better. That said, Ill keep my MM.

1stMerc
03-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Coming from driving a 72 Charger for 14 yrs in my younger days and loving it, i didnt much care for the styling of the new Charger. That is until i started seeing it in different colors. Unlike the MM which looks great, and the reason i bought one, a black Charger just didn't and still doesn't look right. Now the Mango orange SRT and the money green ones look quite appealing. This yellow SuperBee, however is a little to loud for my taste.

We must remember that when these companies are bringing back name plates, they are not just trying to appeal to young people, but also to older folks who now have families and find two door coupes to inconvenient for loading the family and friends in for road trips. I for one grew weary of having to hunker forward or get out just to let someone in the back seat. This of course means the folks who remember the originals of old are going to be the most critical of the new styling and creature comforts. The companies feel you can have your cake and eat it to with the new offerings.

But with so many varying styles of the Charger platform, it will lose it's unigueness when you start seeing one (in some form or another) every 5 or ten minutes, which is why i got rid of my Monte Carlo.

Anyway that's my $.02's

Rock on Mercury Marauder and MercuryMarauder.net

TripleTransAm
03-03-2006, 09:18 AM
I just don't get the "it doesn't look like the 19xx version of the car" argument. Since when did a car model keep the same look and style throughout its entire span? (Except for the Marauder... it keeps getting cancelled too often to actually go through a consecutive generational change)

How similar is a 1968 GTO to a 1967 GTO? When you look at a 1979 Mustang, do you immediately cry out "Wow, it's like I'm back in 1964 all over again!!!"? People will p*ss and moan about what basically turns out to be a desire to somehow buy an exact replica of a car they liked xx years ago but would like it with all the modern equipment and efficiency. While they can include some styling cues in a retro look, on average it's just not going to happen.

Time marches on. We need to accept that. Years past will remain just that.

Now, I'll really die of laughter if I ever read someone complaining about the new Charger Daytona looking nothing like the very popular 80s Dodge Daytonas!!! :lol:

Edit: my automotive stash is a good example... 3 cars with the same model name, but look NOTHING like each other.

mrjones
03-03-2006, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=TripleTransAm]
Now, I'll really die of laughter if I ever read someone complaining about the new Charger Daytona looking nothing like the very popular 80s Dodge Daytonas!!! :lol:

I'm holding out for the Dodge Daytona Turbo Z SRT8!!

TRP460
03-03-2006, 10:46 AM

Jolly, your memory's not failing you, it just needs "jogging"! The old Super Bees were based on the Chrysler "B-Body" Dodge Coronet (which came in 2-door and 4-door versions), as were the Charger, Charger R/T, and the long-nosed and "winged" Dodge Daytona.:burnout:

As "Mr. C" indicated, the Dodge Charger became it's own B-Body designation (2-door) in 1971 and the Super Bee was based on that platform. The Coronet morphed into a 4-door/station wagon type vehicle that didn't come close to resembling the Charger at all, even though it was still classified as a "B-Body" (mid-size) platform.......... :D

TRP460
03-03-2006, 10:54 AM
In 1971 the Coronet became a full-size car. So Dodge put the Super Bee name on the Charger for that one year before taking out their big can of Raid and killing it.

Actually, the 71' Coronet was still considered a "mid-size" B-Body as opposed to the "full-size" C-Body Dodge Polara/ Monaco at that time, although the Coronet could probably be compared to our present-day "full-size" Marauders.............

dwasson
03-03-2006, 02:16 PM
They did something to the 300C which seems to have given it a slightly more luxurious look to it. I don't know if it was the lighting or what, but I actually found this one somewhat attractive. (although I found that car sat WAY high, I think it's because of the AWD setup, as I didn't notice that on any other 300 that was present):

A few years ago Chrysler was bragging about their new paint technology. The article I read said that the size of the metalflake particles is what makes one paint look better than another. Chrysler was saying that their new paint used the smallest metalflake in the industry, tied with Audi. It makes for a beautiful luster in the light.

TripleTransAm
03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
A few years ago Chrysler was bragging about their new paint technology. The article I read said that the size of the metalflake particles is what makes one paint look better than another. Chrysler was saying that their new paint used the smallest metalflake in the industry, tied with Audi. It makes for a beautiful luster in the light.

Interesting. That would explain the luscious red on that Charger SRT-8 photo I posted back on the first page. Thanks.

marauder307
03-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Interesting. That would explain the luscious red on that Charger SRT-8 photo I posted back on the first page. Thanks.

They refer to it as "Inferno Red". It's the only extra-cost paint color Dodge has---run ya an extra $225 on the sticker. And you're right---it IS a beaut.

Saw the Daytona R/T pic you posted too. The Daytona R/Ts are getting done in batches of 4,000 and each unit will have it's own sequence number on a dash plaque. The GoManGo (burnt-orange-metallic) ones were done last fall and are disappearing quick from dealers. The Top Banana ones (like the one in your post) have finished production and the last few hundred units are sitting at the Brampton plant waiting to ship. The next color is going to be Tor-Red. (see the website GetRammed.com for a pic of a Tor-Red one!)

You can see the metalflake best in the Brilliant Black cars. :coolman:

TripleTransAm
03-03-2006, 10:54 PM
see the website GetRammed.com...

Last time someone referred me to a site with a name like that, my screen was promptly filled with popups displaying all sorts of interesting variations of sexual positions and preferences. :banned:

Interesting info on the colours, thanks! I admit I was a bit surprised to see a 'mainstream' automaker offer a metallic black... I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. The flakes were indeed ultra-minute. Can't say I'm a big fan of metallic black. I took a close look at a 1978 Trans Am done in metallic black last spring and I wasn't impressed, I'd take a nice deep luscious flat black anyday. (got my MM#2 washed today... can't get over how sexy a clean black MM looks).

I've been semi-seriously looking over reports of the reliability of the DCX cars, and I've seen a few warning signs. After my MM fiasco, I'm going to think twice about following my heart instead of my head when it comes to my next purchase, so I'll be paying close attention to what major problems may surface on those cars. (the plants are so close together... you think DCX recently hired that "harness dude" from STAP?)

TripleTransAm
03-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Whether you like the styling of the car or not, you gotta admit this is a kickass photo.

Canon EOS-1DS, at 1/40s shutter speed and f/16, no doubt with an Image Stabilizer lens and cleaned up in Photoshop on a Macintosh.
Fun fact: it appears the photo was taken last May, and only editted 2 months ago.

http://www.getrammed.com/images/DG006_001CH.jpg

TripleTransAm
03-03-2006, 11:09 PM
2010 Imperial...

http://www.stevepereira.com/misc/smilies/puke.gifhttp://www.stevepereira.com/misc/smilies/retard.gif

http://www.lxforums.com/images/imperial/imp_sm.jpg

marauder307
03-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Last time someone referred me to a site with a name like that, my screen was promptly filled with popups displaying all sorts of interesting variations of sexual positions and preferences.

Sorry. It really is a legit website tho...:o

I've been semi-seriously looking over reports of the reliability of the DCX cars, and I've seen a few warning signs. After my MM fiasco, I'm going to think twice about following my heart instead of my head when it comes to my next purchase, so I'll be paying close attention to what major problems may surface on those cars. (the plants are so close together... you think DCX recently hired that "harness dude" from STAP?)

Thus far, no major problems. One or two lemons, but I'm not seeing a serious trend. There have, however, been issues with the transmission and rear axle seals: The folks over at chargerforums.com have been consistently reporting leaks around the trans pan which seem to be improperly mounted gaskets or drain plugs, and the rear axle seals have been reported leaking as well. There's also been some reports of "whining" sounds in the transmissions; I forget what this has been traced to, but the subforum "Charger problems" at the aforementioned website has a few threads on the issue.

RCSignals
03-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Whether you like the styling of the car or not, you gotta admit this is a kickass photo.

Canon EOS-1DS, at 1/40s shutter speed and f/16, no doubt with an Image Stabilizer lens and cleaned up in Photoshop on a Macintosh.
Fun fact: it appears the photo was taken last May, and only editted 2 months ago.

http://www.getrammed.com/images/DG006_001CH.jpg

It is a kickass photo. It's just the particular car that spoils it.

AzMarauder
03-05-2006, 08:59 AM
You gotta give Dodge credit....
They spend more time trying to repackage a loser than any other car company. I will say they, certainly are more into the marketing end and trying to establish the link to their heritage.

What was that ad TV about 4 years ago... where the supervisor of some investment firm is telling his people...

"Ok.. Let's put some lipstick on this pg and get out there and sell it!"

AzMarauder
03-05-2006, 09:01 AM

Well.. even the MOPAR folks I hang out with gag over the four-door Chargers etc.

Now the Challenger.. THAT has created some excitement.

AzMarauder
03-05-2006, 09:09 AM
I disagree. All of those things is why I got rid of the MM and went back to Mopar. Total muscle car with all of the bling that my old 68 GTX didnt have.

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

American manufacturers have, for years flirted with a family resemblance ala the Germans. You know, all Mercedes sort of look like a Mercedes, BMWs all look like they came from the same family.

Ford really achieved this in the late 80s.

Well Chrysler is on that road... hmmm they merged with Mercedes... wonder how that happened.

What I fault Chrysler for, if you have to pick a member of your family after which you model the rest of the family... why did they pick the BUTT UGLY one?

The Peterbuilt style grills on the truck line I got used to.... when they imported it in a cow-catcher look into their car line :puke: .

If they bring the Challenger out.... and it looks like their concept car... THEN they will have a winner.

:eek:

AzMarauder
03-05-2006, 09:13 AM

Prior to 71 tho it was nothing more than a performance modified Coronet. In the same way the Roadrunner was nothing more than a performance modified Satellite.

Interestingly enough you could get a Coronet R/T that was very similar to the SuperBee and a Sport Satellite that was very similar to the Roadrunner.

RCSignals
03-05-2006, 03:06 PM
.................I will say they, certainly are more into the marketing end and trying to establish the link to their heritage.

You said it right there, 'marketing'...the link to 'hertiage' (other than ugly styling) is tenuous at best.

DCX has said they chose the name Charger only because of 'recognition', not because of any link or resemblance to past vehicles.

It's just all smoke and mirrors playing on perception..

Your quote about lipstick on a pig is spot on.

TripleTransAm
03-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Sounds like sour grapes to me...

AzMarauder
03-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Sounds like sour grapes to me...

For the sake of discussion... is this a comment to my post? :rolleyes:

TripleTransAm
03-05-2006, 06:45 PM
For the sake of discussion... is this a comment to my post? :rolleyes:

Not your post... as you said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There appears to be a lot of beholders though, judging by the sales figures. But that's not really pertinent.

Picking on the car because the automaker chose it only for the sake of recognition... that's just plain silly. They could have picked it because the designer's mother's maiden name was Charger, for all we should care. :rolleyes:

Why haven't we disowned Ford for releasing a Marauder stuffed with a motor with a weak low-RPM performance, whereas past Marauders came equipped from the factory to burn rubber?

Should Ford be chastised for not linking to their heritage with a new 2008 Edsel?

Bleed Blue if you have to, but let's try to keep the discussion somewhat realistic.

AzMarauder
03-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Not your post... as you said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There appears to be a lot of beholders though, judging by the sales figures. But that's not really pertinent.

Picking on the car because the automaker chose it only for the sake of recognition... that's just plain silly. They could have picked it because the designer's mother's maiden name was Charger, for all we should care. :rolleyes:

Why haven't we disowned Ford for releasing a Marauder stuffed with a motor with a weak low-RPM performance, whereas past Marauders came equipped from the factory to burn rubber?

Should Ford be chastised for not linking to their heritage with a new 2008 Edsel?

Bleed Blue if you have to, but let's try to keep the discussion somewhat realistic.

I kind of thought you were going there....

The ONLY thing being discussed in my note was outward appearance! I never spoke to 4 doors, performance etc. I've owned MOPARS in the past, I'm trying to buy a 65 Dodge Coronet at the moment. Several of my buddies are dyed in the wool MOPAR guys as is my Bro-in-law. (Beautiful 72 Challenger)

So the hitching post for your "High-Horse" is right over there. Tie up and climb down.

I'll buy the first round of drinks. Heck if we drink enough.. maybe the Charger will look good!
:rolleyes:

TRP460
03-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Prior to 71 tho it was nothing more than a performance modified Coronet. In the same way the Roadrunner was nothing more than a performance modified Satellite.

Interestingly enough you could get a Coronet R/T that was very similar to the SuperBee and a Sport Satellite that was very similar to the Roadrunner.

Actually, prior to 71', the Plymouth Roadrunner was based on the B-Body "Belvedere" platform. The "Satellite" was born in 71' (and the Belvedere died) and the Roadrunner was based on this platform for a few years after......:)

AzMarauder
03-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Actually, prior to 71', the Plymouth Roadrunner was based on the B-Body "Belvedere" platform. The "Satellite" was born in 71' (and the Belvedere died) and the Roadrunner was based on this platform for a few years after......:)

Steve,

I didn't know the Satellite had a lineage to the Belvedere! Thanks...
However, according to ALLPAR and the quoted individual here.. the Satellite was a seperate model in 68. tho prior to that it was a variant of the Belvedere. Same time as the Roadrunner arrived. All related to the Belvedere tho!

(With a nod to Dana Merian; information from the Standard Catalog of Chrysler).

The Sport Satellite came out in 1968, just a year after the Satellite became its own model. Available as a two-door coupe, two-door convertible, and wagon, the Sport Satellite came with a 318 V-8 as well as cosmetic touches. Over 20,000 of these were made in 1968 alone. This series continued through to 1970. In 1971, the Satellite Sebring, Custom, and Regent Wagon were introduced instead (also replacing the Satellite GTX).

RCSignals
03-05-2006, 10:23 PM

Yes, lets try to keep the discussion realistic. It's not about Ford, it's about DCX, and no one is bleeding Blue. You are the only one to mention Ford!

What I said happens to be a fact, as stated by DCX executives themselves on the reason they chose to use the name Charger. I can't help it if you don't like it.
Do some research if you don't believe it!

TRP460
03-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Steve,

I didn't know the Satellite had a lineage to the Belvedere! Thanks...

You're Welcome!:D

However, according to ALLPAR and the quoted individual here.. the Satellite was a seperate model in 68. tho prior to that it was a variant of the Belvedere. Same time as the Roadrunner arrived. All related to the Belvedere tho!

(With a nod to Dana Merian; information from the Standard Catalog of Chrysler).

Yes Sir, your info is correct concerning the 68' Plymouth Satellite "model" (far be it from me to argue with Dana Merian or Allpar.com! I've been visiting there myself for longer than I've owned my Rauder'!)........I was referring to the Satellite's base "platform", including the Sport Satellite and the Roadrunner, all of which Chrysler designated as the "Belvedere" platform, and this was the case up until the 70' models.

For the 71' model year, all Chrysler did was simply change the name for their B-Body platform from "Belvedere" to "Satellite".
(Thanks to "Mopar Muscle", written by Robert Genet and David Newhardt.);)

The Sport Satellite came out in 1968, just a year after the Satellite became its own model. Available as a two-door coupe, two-door convertible, and wagon, the Sport Satellite came with a 318 V-8 as well as cosmetic touches. Over 20,000 of these were made in 1968 alone. This series continued through to 1970. In 1971, the Satellite Sebring, Custom, and Regent Wagon were introduced instead (also replacing the Satellite GTX).

BTW, have you ever heard of a Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus? I owned a 73' model with a 400 C.I. "Magnum"........the car looked like a base 318 C.I. equipted (plain-Jane) with a vinyl top (sort of a "sleeper"), the only thing giving it away was the factory chrome-tipped duel exhaust (the same ones found on the Roadrunners and Chargers of that model year) and that distinct big-block Mopar exhaust rumble.:burnout:

Anyway, my Satellite Sebring Plus still qualifies as the "best car I've ever owned", having owned it for 10 years and almost 150,000 miles (the "jury" is still out on my Marauder, with only 20,000 miles and 3 years of ownership). I don't recall ever seeing another car like that during the entire time that I owned it. Does your "Standard Catalog of Chrysler" indicate how many were assembled that year?:help:

mr.continental
03-07-2006, 08:59 AM

You have your info backwards. The Superbee could be ordered like the Coronet R/T, not the other way around. The Coronet R/T was up-scale from the Superbee, like the GTX was to the Road Runner.

mr.continental
03-07-2006, 09:07 AM

Actually, in 1971 the GTX became an option package for the Road Runner. This was carried on through the 1974 model year.

TRP460
03-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Actually, in 1971 the GTX became an option package for the Road Runner. This was carried on through the 1974 model year.

Well........not exactly. The Plymouth GTX and Roadrunner were different model lines although they both shared the base Belvedere platform. As you pointed out, the GTX was "up-scale" from the Roadrunner.......which is why the Roadrunner was born. It made "muscle-cars" affordable for most drivers back then.:coolman:

Also, the GTX, along with the Charger R/T and the Super Bee were discontinued after the 71' model year. Only the Roadrunner continued on until 74' with the base Satellite platform. In 1975, the Roadrunner survived (in name only) on the Plymouth Fury and from 76' to 80', the Roadrunner "package" was an option for the Plymouth Volare........how sad is that?:depress:

mr.continental
03-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Well........not exactly. The Plymouth GTX and Roadrunner were different model lines although they both shared the base Belvedere platform. As you pointed out, the GTX was "up-scale" from the Roadrunner.......which is why the Roadrunner was born. It made "muscle-cars" affordable for most drivers back then.:coolman:

Also, the GTX, along with the Charger R/T and the Super Bee were discontinued after the 71' model year. Only the Roadrunner continued on until 74' with the base Satellite platform. In 1975, the Roadrunner survived (in name only) on the Plymouth Fury and from 76' to 80', the Roadrunner "package" was an option for the Plymouth Volare........how sad is that?:depress:

That's not what I said. If you actually read my post, you'll see that the GTX became an "option package" on the Road Runner. Trust me on this, I've been around old Mopars my whole life, and I've learned a lot over the years.

AzMarauder
03-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Anyway, my Satellite Sebring Plus still qualifies as the "best car I've ever owned", having owned it for 10 years and almost 150,000 miles (the "jury" is still out on my Marauder, with only 20,000 miles and 3 years of ownership). I don't recall ever seeing another car like that during the entire time that I owned it. Does your "Standard Catalog of Chrysler" indicate how many were assembled that year?:help:

I have seen the care you are describing.

I don't have the Standard Catalog of Chrysler. That was a quote taken from the ALLPAR site. So you'd probably have to ask those boys! :D

AzMarauder
03-07-2006, 05:13 PM
In 1975, the Roadrunner survived (in name only) on the Plymouth Fury and from 76' to 80', the Roadrunner "package" was an option for the Plymouth Volare........how sad is that?:depress:

Gee.. sort of reminds me of the Charger being a 4 door today !:D

TRP460
03-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I have seen the care you are describing.

I don't have the Standard Catalog of Chrysler. That was a quote taken from the ALLPAR site. So you'd probably have to ask those boys! :D

Thank you Sir........I appreciate you and I will!:banana2:

TRP460
03-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Gee.. sort of reminds me of the Charger being a 4 door today !:D

Yeah, kinda............cept' those Roadrunner "wanabees" were not putting out 350 HP! :burnout:

TRP460
03-07-2006, 07:37 PM
That's not what I said. If you actually read my post, you'll see that the GTX became an "option package" on the Road Runner. Trust me on this, I've been around old Mopars my whole life, and I've learned a lot over the years.

Okay Sir......all I can say is that I know exactly what you said, I "actually read" your post, and I answered your post as honestly as I could based on the information available to me and, it appears in this case that you are incorrect!

That being said, I'll point out that your disagreement is NOT with me (even though I've been around these old Mopars since the early sixties) and I will direct your attention to a couple of guys named Robert Genet and David Newhardt. They've collaborated their extensive knowledge and written a 350 page book on this subject. Admittedly, my answers to you were based partly on that publication.

So, just so we're clear on this (no matter how trivial it may seem to others reading this), at no time was the GTX ever considered an "option package" for the Roadrunner..........as a customer at a Plymouth dealership back in those days, you either bought a GTX, or you would buy a Roadrunner......two different "animals" altogether!

However, if you insist that my info is incorrect, I'll suggest that you contact Mr. Genet and Mr. Newhardt, give them your information, and have them correct the "typos" in their book. That will be when, and ONLY when I "trust you on this"!

BTW, I couldn't help but notice that you're 28 yoa (if that's correct), so I applaud and encourage your interest in these "old Mopars". It appears that these cars that we're discussing would have been approaching a couple of decades old by the time you would have had anything to do with them. Is it possible that your belief could have been formulated by having contact with a 73' or 74' Roadrunner or Satellite with GTX markings? In other words, a "clone"?

Believe me, they're out there!

Sincerely..........

mr.continental
03-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Okay Sir......all I can say is that I know exactly what you said, I "actually read" your post, and I answered your post as honestly as I could based on the information available to me and, it appears in this case that you are incorrect!

That being said, I'll point out that your disagreement is NOT with me (even though I've been around these old Mopars since the early sixties) and I will direct your attention to a couple of guys named Robert Genet and David Newhardt. They've collaborated their extensive knowledge and written a 350 page book on this subject. Admittedly, my answers to you were based partly on that publication.

So, just so we're clear on this (no matter how trivial it may seem to others reading this), at no time was the GTX ever considered an "option package" for the Roadrunner..........as a customer at a Plymouth dealership back in those days, you either bought a GTX, or you would buy a Roadrunner......two different "animals" altogether!

However, if you insist that my info is incorrect, I'll suggest that you contact Mr. Genet and Mr. Newhardt, give them your information, and have them correct the "typos" in their book. That will be when, and ONLY when I "trust you on this"!

BTW, I couldn't help but notice that you're 28 yoa (if that's correct), so I applaud and encourage your interest in these "old Mopars". It appears that these cars that we're discussing would have been approaching a couple of decades old by the time you would have had anything to do with them. Is it possible that your belief could have been formulated by having contact with a 73' or 74' Roadrunner or Satellite with GTX markings? In other words, a "clone"?

Believe me, they're out there!

Sincerely..........

Since you obviously don't believe me, do a google search on the term "Road Runner GTX" for any of the 3 years I told you. If the information you find doing that isn't good enough for you, contact a Mopar magazine, Hot Rod, a Road Runner registry, anything like that and they will tell you the exact same thing I have . The GTX was an option on the Road Runner from 1972 to 1974.

I'm sorry to tell you but Robert and David are wrong, and you can bank on it.

Age has nothing to do with it, it's all about knowing the facts, and they don't know their's.

merc406
03-08-2006, 09:47 AM
The more I see the new Chrysler's the more I like them. I have some friends that work at the Jefferson plant, they are working just about 24-7.
You build something different, which is what people want, people will buy.

TRP460
03-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm sorry to tell you but Robert and David are wrong, and you can bank on it.

Age has nothing to do with it, it's all about knowing the facts, and they don't know their's.

Post acknowledged Sir.......:nono:

BTW, it really doesn't matter if you're right or wrong (and if you are right, it's extremely technical and definitely not the "real McCoy") on this subject but, you might do a little "Google-ing" yourself and find out some info about the two gentlemen that you just accused of not knowing what they're talking about all over the www . You'll discover that the book I was referring to is not the only one to their credit.:eek:

Good Luck! :D

TRP460
03-08-2006, 05:29 PM
The more I see the new Chrysler's the more I like them. I have some friends that work at the Jefferson plant, they are working just about 24-7.
You build something different, which is what people want, people will buy.

Yeah, I agree, even though it's takes some getting used to..........but for me, performance is the bottom line, and DC seems to have struck a "nerve" with automobile enthusiasts everywhere.....I'm not surprised that your friends are working so much!

I suppose I could get used to the looks of the Charger or Magnum but, that Chrysler 300C reminds me to much of that "devil-machine" in the 1977 movie called "The Car" starring James Brolin........I can't bring myself to handle that one! :eek:

Bluerauder
03-08-2006, 05:44 PM
BTW, it really doesn't matter if you're right or wrong ... :D
Here's a link to some pics of a 1967 Plymouth GTX. Says it was a top of the line Belvedere at the time. Notice the badging also shows "Belvedere GTX". Nary an indication of Road Runner anywhere on the car.

Very nice exterior and interior shots of a cherry 1967 Plymouth GTX >>>> http://www.collectormotors.com/1967GTX.htm

None of the Road Runners that I remember from that era had anywhere near the plush interior or the chrome as this GTX.

My vote is with TRP460 --- they're two different animals altogether. :D

natedog1284
03-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Wow.... I get goosebumps looking at that car. My dad owned a '68 GTX with a 440, but traded it for a (then) brand new 1975 Chrysler Cordoba....:baaa: :shake:
Who knew.....

TRP460
03-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Wow.... I get goosebumps looking at that car. My dad owned a '68 GTX with a 440, but traded it for a (then) brand new 1975 Chrysler Cordoba....:baaa: :shake:
Who knew.....

Yeah Buddy! By the way, I think I saw your Dad's 68' GTX go through the Barrett-Jackson auto auction a couple of months ago.........I believe it sold for about $150,000.00!! :bigcry:

AzMarauder
03-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Here's a link to some pics of a 1967 Plymouth GTX. Says it was a top of the line Belvedere at the time. Notice the badging also shows "Belvedere GTX". Nary an indication of Road Runner anywhere on the car.

Very nice exterior and interior shots of a cherry 1967 Plymouth GTX >>>> http://www.collectormotors.com/1967GTX.htm

None of the Road Runners that I remember from that era had anywhere near the plush interior or the chrome as this GTX.

From the outside looking in I think we are starting to confuse issues.

The Roadrunner didn't exist before 1968. So you won't see a RR GTX before that year.

The GTX was a separate car from the RR (not an option upgrade) from 1968-1971. In the 1972 year the GTX ceased to be a separate car but lived on until 1974 as on option upgrade to the Roadrunner package. So if you wanted the upgunned 440 in your Roadrunner you essentially ordered the GTX package.

At least that is what I can understand from the reading I've done on the subject both here and several MOPAR sites on the web.

mr.continental
03-08-2006, 08:43 PM
In the 1972 year the GTX ceased to be a separate car but lived on until 1974 as on option upgrade to the Roadrunner package.

This is what I've been saying all a long.

TRP460
03-08-2006, 10:12 PM
[quote=AzMarauder]
The GTX was a separate car from the RR (not an option upgrade) from 1968-1971. In the 1972 year the GTX ceased to be a separate car but lived on until 1974 as on option upgrade to the Roadrunner package. So if you wanted the upgunned 440 in your Roadrunner you essentially ordered the GTX package.
quote]

OR.........if you went to a Plymouth dealership in 72' thru 74', ordered a Roadrunner and specified the 440 motor, you ended up with a fully marked up RR that had three "GTX" emblems glued to the car-- one affixed to each fender, and one stuck on the trunk lid right next to the roadrunner (the real bird) inside-the-circle emblem. It really didn't matter if you wanted the GTX emblems or not, you were "stuck" with them (no pun intended) if you wanted the 440.

Was that the extent of the "GTX option upgrade" for those years....a little bit of tape and glue? If your answer is "yes", I at least hope you realize how superficial that was, and how easily and quickly those decals could be peeled-off. I wouldn't doubt that those decals were applied on those few select 440-equipted Roadrunners at the dealerships as marketing gimmicks before they sold, as I personally witnessed OEM decals being applied to my buddy's 71' 340 'Cuda at the dealership as they were shipped separately from the car itself.........

Also, I don't think there's any "confusing issues" here, and apparently the history books support the fact that the Plymouth GTX "passed-away" quietly in the 1971 model year, and was never resurrected in any shape, form, or fashion........except maybe on today's internet! :rolleyes:

TRP460
03-08-2006, 10:21 PM
This is what I've been saying all a long.

Post acknowledged Sir........

TRP460
03-08-2006, 11:28 PM

Charlie, thanks for the photos, and the vote of confidence........those old Belvedere GTX's were certainly awesome creatures back in those days, and I'm sure you remember them just as well as I do.......the first one I ever saw was burning rubber from a traffic light on Perring Parkway while lined-up next to a 67 Camaro.......which was doing the same thing! :burnout:

BTW, I apologize for not making it to Big Bats back on the 26th.....I was really wanting to make it there and meet you guys but, circumstances way beyond my control prevented me from leaving D.C. Maybe some other time.........:depress:

Bluerauder
03-09-2006, 07:41 AM
...and I'm sure you remember them just as well as I do.......the first one I ever saw was burning rubber from a traffic light on Perring Parkway while lined-up next to a 67 Camaro.......which was doing the same thing! :burnout:
A friend of mine in high school had a 1968 Roadrunner. My memory wants to say it was a 440 ... but it might have been a 383. Metallic Blue with Black interior. Very sharp. Near the end of my senior year he gave me a ride home and dropped me off in front of my house. My mother was sitting on the porch as he took off up the street. :burnout: leaving a major portion of his tires on the asphalt. "And, just WHO was that??" :rofl:

jerrym3
03-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Actually saw one of these Super Bees on the road two days ago in Weehawken, NJ. It came by the opposite way, so I didn't get a chance to really look it over, or hear it, but it certainly stood out in a world of Accords, Camrys, and BMWs.