PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me 80Grand?

blackf0rk
03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
:rock: :nworthy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-Grand-National-GNX-4A007272756_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ categoryZ6137QQitemZ4616710781 QQrdZ1

duhtroll
03-03-2006, 12:06 PM
That is one pretty car.

n-cherok
03-03-2006, 12:21 PM
damn i wonder where it has been sitting for the last 18 years

TripleTransAm
03-03-2006, 12:23 PM
damn i wonder where it has been sitting for the last 18 years

Remember the "20 year" rule...

StevenJ
03-03-2006, 12:23 PM
No Grand National despite how nice it may be is worth $80,000! It's a great car and a real 1980's legend, but but hell no!

TripleTransAm
03-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Do the research... only just over 500 GNXs made in 1987, ever. And this one is brand new, if the mileage is to be believed. And people are bidding on it, so... yes it appears to be worth $80 000.

Bluerauder
03-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Do the research... only just over 500 GNXs made ...
Is that 359 plate on the dashboard the ID number of this one? Jeeeeez, 9.9 miles is less than the trip home when I picked up my Marauder. :rolleyes:

merc
03-03-2006, 01:24 PM
I think I know the owner of this car. Wright's Buick of Manansas,VA had a GNX in the show room for 18 years before the land was leased to Brown's Kia within the last couple of months.

Ross
03-03-2006, 01:29 PM
OK, let's assume that this car really hasn't been driven in 18 years. How much work would be needed to replace dry rot tires, dried out gaskets, seals, hoses, belts, etc? What other stuff would need to be done to it after sitting all of those years without being started or driven? Seems like a lot to me, but what the heck do I know? BTW, I'd still like to have it!

bryanthomas
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Very cool. It's cool to see some of you guys are also into Buicks. check out the Riviera thread I started in the lounge.

Bluerauder
03-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Very cool. It's cool to see some of you guys are also into Buicks.
Here is another Grand National thread >>> http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22249&highlight=GNX. Several pics through the posts. Looks like only 547 GNX were made in 1987 if Matt is correct. :D

TripleTransAm
03-03-2006, 01:52 PM
OK, let's assume that this car really hasn't been driven in 18 years. How much work would be needed to replace dry rot tires, dried out gaskets, seals, hoses, belts, etc? What other stuff would need to be done to it after sitting all of those years without being started or driven? Seems like a lot to me, but what the heck do I know? BTW, I'd still like to have it!

I'm guessing whoever would buy this would not be doing much driving, if any.

This car is a write-off, as far as driving goes. It has entered the realm of trophy-dom, and will sit in a climate controlled garage with spotlights aimed just at just the perfect angles. It might get trailered to some shows and cart off a bunch of trophies to keep it company at home. But it's no longer a car.

The stuff I'd look at first would be distributor cap and rotor (this model of 3.8 didn't use multi coils yet, right?). There's the obvious concern of fuel stagnation in the lines... I probably wouldn't trust the fuel pump all that much. I don't know about seals but I would think the transmission might have a spot or two, and the head gaskets may not be as fresh as they should be. Belts... no idea. However, I wonder if the A/C unit has seized up.

I suspect the motor's been started (I doubt they pushed the car into position for the photos) so priming wouldn't be a problem. I'm just talking about pressing it into semi-normal service (which I still maintain will NOT happen to this car).

The original tires were Gatorbacks, I believe... trust me, they dry-rot just by looking at them. The original tires on my GTA didn't make it past 18000 miles without looking like they were peeling like potatoes between the tread blocks, at 6 years of age in 1993.

Nice car, but it's not for me... as it is, it pains me to have 3 fully-driveable cars sitting idle in my garage, so having a car with the sole purpose of NOT moving it would drive me over the edge.

Hotrauder
03-03-2006, 02:23 PM
No Grand National despite how nice it may be is worth $80,000! It's a great car and a real 1980's legend, but but hell no!

Stephen, Of course this one is....that is the bid now....so obviously someone feel is is worth 80k to HIM OR HER. I know you meant to you and I agree not to me...but you didn't say that....so you were corrected by Steve.:D You are a smart guy., No need to try so hard. We like you, my friend. Lighten up. Have fun. relax and way to soon you will get old.:beer:

KillJoy
03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
If I had the cash, I'd buy it. It has never been restore, and it is in a fully restored condition......original everything.

Hello Concourses!

This thing is gonna win someone major trophies!

KillJoy

MENINBLK
03-03-2006, 02:50 PM
hmmm...

I wonder if the recalls were done on it.

BTW, it has a distributorless ignition.
The Distributor Housing holds the Camshaft Position sensor.
Which, btw, was subject to a recall, back in 1990.
One of the few recalls on the Stage 2 3.8L V6.

There was an owner who brought his GNX in for the recall.
It was delivered on a flatbed.
The Master Technician in the shop did the repairs.
The Service Manager road tested the GNX.
Flat Bed picked it up, and it went back into storage.

I don't recall seeing an ID plate on each one.
That must be a custom emblem, like the Marauder Fender emblem
we made for ourselves.

Gaskets ?
You don't worry about gaskets on that V6.
If you use gaskets on the 3.8L, it would leak oil like a sieve.
Most of the time, we put everything together with sealant.
Let it sit overnight, and then fill it with fluids the next day.

$80,000 for a Brand New GNX.
$20,000 to rebuild it to NEW again....

fastblackmerc
03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
:rock: :nworthy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-Grand-National-GNX-4A007272756_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ categoryZ6137QQitemZ4616710781 QQrdZ1
Will you take a personal check??:D :D I see it comes with an "owners manuel". I didn't think GM could fit a hispanic gentleman in the glovebox.... or maybe this one stayed in the trunk......

Blackened300a
03-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Will you take a personal check??:D :D I see it comes with an "owners manuel". I didn't think GM could fit a hispanic gentleman in the glovebox.... or maybe this one stayed in the trunk......

^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
Thats Hysterical!

If I had the cash I would buy it right now without a doubt. That is and has been my all time favorite car.
I have only seen one GNX up close and it was on 80 west in PA with a elderly man driving it.

Rob1559
03-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I think I saw this car on ebay a couple months ago.

StevenJ
03-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Stephen, Of course this one is....that is the bid now....so obviously someone feel is is worth 80k to HIM OR HER. I know you meant to you and I agree not to me...but you didn't say that....so you were corrected by Steve.:D You are a smart guy., No need to try so hard. We like you, my friend. Lighten up. Have fun. relax and way to soon you will get old.:beer:

Granted I'm no expert when it comes to Grand Nationals. I'm just surpised an an 80's American outside the Delorean could be worth so much. I have a strong appreciation for them. One of my pen pal's from Canada, his father has one and he says it is fast as hell. He said he's driven it a lot and he can do standing burnouts without a problem. Great cars but 80 gran? Wow! I wonder if a 96' Impala SS will ever be able to command that much money. maybe in the year 2030.

Vortex
03-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Lots of money sure, but roll it accross the stage at Barrett-Jackson in a couple of years and I think youll come out just fine. GNX isnt just a Grand National, it is a hellofa car Id love to own.

G-Man
03-04-2006, 07:56 AM

10-4. You can get a new 427 ZO6 for less and it will clean house.

bryanthomas
03-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Granted I'm no expert when it comes to Grand Nationals. I'm just surpised an an 80's American outside the Delorean could be worth so much.

DeLoreans don't pull nearly this much do they? I have looked at used ones before and granted they all had more miles on them than this GNX, but the prices I saw ranged from 15-30K.

Blackened300a
03-04-2006, 03:25 PM
DeLoreans don't pull nearly this much do they? I have looked at used ones before and granted they all had more miles on them than this GNX, but the prices I saw ranged from 15-30K.

Were they a true GNX?? The GNX is a different animal then the Grand National. Im not 100% sure of the differences.
If Im not mistaken the GNX was the worlds Fastest Production car for 1987.

G-Man
03-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Were they a true GNX?? The GNX is a different animal then the Grand National. Im not 100% sure of the differences.

I don't know about the world, but if I remember correctly it would run high 4's in 0-60 and the computer would shut it down at 124mph on the top end. Man, that took me back.

TripleTransAm
03-04-2006, 03:50 PM

Maybe fastest AMERICAN production car.

0-60 was in the mid 5s range.

Differences, besides the turbo being different, involve a totally different rear suspension, using a torque arm and panhard rod. Some cosmetic differences as well (such as real gages, etc.).

THE_INTERCEPTOR
03-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Wow. That is one yummy lookin' GN.

bryanthomas
03-05-2006, 07:54 AM

:confused: I think you misread my post.

[/quote]Originally Posted by StevenJ
Granted I'm no expert when it comes to Grand Nationals. I'm just surpised an an 80's American outside the Delorean could be worth so much. [/quote]

I was referring to this comment about DeLoreans, not the GNX.

Blackened300a
03-05-2006, 08:02 AM
:confused: I think you misread my post.

Originally Posted by StevenJ
Granted I'm no expert when it comes to Grand Nationals. I'm just surpised an an 80's American outside the Delorean could be worth so much. [/quote]

I was referring to this comment about DeLoreans, not the GNX.[/quote]

Whoops my Bad.
There was a Delorean running around my neighborhood that someone painted red :puke: