PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Large Item?

blackf0rk
03-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I want to sell a table we have on eBay. It doesn't come apart except for the glass top - so it can't be broken down into smaller parts (like a wood table). This makes shipping it a pain. Does anyone have suggestions on how to ship something like this?

I was thinking about just limiting it to a local pick-up and not ship it. But I'd thought I'd ask here if anyone has done this before.

This is how big it is, kind of a standard coffee table...

http://www.enspiar.com/ebay/table/P1010001.JPG

jimlam56
03-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I used to be in the furniture business, shipped a lot of tables like that one via UPS.
Go to your local furniture store and ask for one of their cardboard boxes they recieved a piece of glass in, usually about 3 inches thick. You can cut it down to the size you need if necessary. There is a cardboard insert called susswrap that fits onto the edge of the glass for protection. Use extra pieces of cardboard around the legs when you put the table in the box.
Oh, and don't forget to insist the buyer pays for insurance above what the selling price is.

blackf0rk
03-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks jimlam! Looks like I know what I'll have to do. Not sure if I want to go through all the trouble do it though... heh

Blackened300a
03-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Generally for big items, I always had the customer pick-up option.
Especially for glass. you dont want someone to give you a hard time or stop payment if its chipped or broken.