PDA

View Full Version : Calif. hybrid drivers cussed for slowness

dwasson
03-07-2006, 08:27 PM
From: http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060307-015615-3496r

Calif. hybrid drivers cussed for slowness

SAN JOSE, Calif., March 7 (UPI) -- Hybrid cars in California are taking the title of most-hated vehicle on the road away from SUVs as their gas-conscious drivers tend to observe the speed limit.

Cars such as the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic have trip-o-meters on the dashboard that gauges gas mileage down to the second, and the San Jose Mercury News said it appears to be having a slow-down effect on their drivers.

However, the hybrids have become hated by SUV drivers who say they are just too slow in the commuters' left-hand lane.

"These idiot hybrids are clogging up the carpool lane," complained Bob De Marco, who said hybrids stick to 65 mph when he wants to be doing 75 mph.

When hybrid owner Jim Feichtl sped along at 75 mph to 80 mph, the computer told him he was getting between 35 and 39 miles a gallon. When he dropped to under 65 mph, he got 46 mpg, the newspaper said.

BAD MERC
03-07-2006, 09:42 PM
These hybrids are a double-edge sword. People buy them to save gas/money yet nobody tells them about the $8500.00 replacement battery pack in about 8 years- which negates all the money you "saved" while looking like a dork. Plus, I heard this but I don't know how real it- collisions involving hybrids can create a real disaster including fatal chemical burns and electrocution from these wonderful vehicles. I would imagine that a severe accident would have to involve a HazMat cleanup before there could be extrication for trapped occupants. I am sure that the pollution factor is only shifted now that we have tens of thousands of Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries (which CANNOT be recycled) now and must be disposed of.

hitchhiker
03-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Simple,

Build a device that will emit a strong directional EMP burst and aim it
at the wuss vegetarian effette biatch driving that greenie weenie car.

It takes a lot of extra electronics to controll those POS's. Fry Em!

Information is freely available on this from non-classified sources!

:D

ckadiddle
03-08-2006, 05:46 AM
Simple,

Build a device that will emit a strong directional EMP burst and aim it
at the wuss vegetarian effette biatch driving that greenie weenie car.

It takes a lot of extra electronics to controll those POS's. Fry Em!

Information is freely available on this from non-classified sources!

Hmm..... Wonder if a deGausser with enough power to it would do the trick.......

KillJoy
03-08-2006, 06:56 AM
I personally think Hybrids are a good IDEA. So far, it has yet to be implimented well. Once it is, I would get one. Great for driving for work where my boss only reimburses 32 Cents per mile. 20MPG in the Grand Am, 15MPG in the Marauder, or 40+MPG in a hybrid. That math equals out.

We have had the Grand Am for 12 Months and have put 20,000 Miles on it. That equals about 1,000 Gallons of gas. In a Hybrid, that would equal about 500 Gallons of gas. At $2.25 per gallon, that is over $1100 per year cost outgo reduction.

Maybe someday???

KillJoy

mrjones
03-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Not everyone buys them just to save money. Some folks buy them because they feel they're doing the right thing, to help reduce our dependence on foreign oil. I personally think that either is a good reason to buy hybrid, but not so good a reason that I'm ready to buy one yet.

On the financial side, don't forget about the federal income tax credit given to purchasers of hybrid vehicles. That little bonus at the end of the year goes quite a ways to offset the cost of the vehicle. It'll make at least half of your car payment for the first year.

hitchhiker
03-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Not everyone buys them just to save money. Some folks buy them because they feel they're doing the right thing, to help reduce our dependence on foreign oil. I personally think that either is a good reason to buy hybrid, but not so good a reason that I'm ready to buy one yet.

On the financial side, don't forget about the federal income tax credit given to purchasers of hybrid vehicles. That little bonus at the end of the year goes quite a ways to offset the cost of the vehicle. It'll make at least half of your car payment for the first year.

I hate Social Engineering via Tax Law Provisions!

I hate Car Pool Lanes!

I hate C.A.R.B.!

I hate Politicians!

There; I'm done for now.

dwasson
03-08-2006, 09:55 AM

http://dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2006021523379.jpg

juno
03-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Yep I love them. They should sell a million a year to save gas for my two v-8's and my v-twin. Oh, and give them their own lane, no driving in a real lane.

Joe Walsh
03-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Yep I love them. They should sell a million a year to save gas for my two v-8's and my v-twin. Oh, and give them their own lane, no driving in a real lane.

Why can't they stick to the bicycle lane????

MarauderMark
03-08-2006, 05:51 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I second that:up:

Bluerauder
03-08-2006, 05:54 PM
So, why do you wanna screw up the bike lanes too Joe ??? ;)

Joe Walsh
03-08-2006, 06:01 PM
So, why do you wanna screw up the bike lanes too Joe ??? ;)

Because I can outrun those Hybrids with my Mtn. Bike.:D

Bluerauder
03-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Hybrids were selling rather well here in the Northern Virginia area because they were allowed to use the HOV-3 lanes on I-95 and I-66 with only the driver. My next door neighbor paid $5K extra for his Honda Hybrid so he could do just that. Unfortunately, the Virginia Legislature is voting to stop the privilege since hybrids are clogging the HOV "express" lanes. Can you say "We're Screwed" Boys and Girls ..... :rofl:

metroplex
03-09-2006, 12:10 PM
We have to use foreign crude oil to make all the plastics and battery/electronic components used in the hybrid.

Want to end dependence on crude oil or at least cut it down big time?
Hydrogen or biodiesel.

KillJoy
03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
biodiesel.

:up:

KillJoy

Dr Caleb
03-09-2006, 01:36 PM
biodiesel.

I agree. :up:

My friend has a Smart car that'll run Edmonton to Calgary and back (New York to Boston and back) on $14 in diesel. Imagine it smelling 'finger licking good' at the same time!

dwasson
03-09-2006, 04:00 PM
It's been noted that the Prius sells better than the hybrids that share a body with a non-hybrid. This seems to say that many people who buy the Prius are doing it to show how much they are doing to save the world. If nobody could easily tell it was a hybrid, there would be no point in putting up with one.

jgc61sr2002
03-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Hybrids were selling rather well here in the Northern Virginia area because they were allowed to use the HOV-3 lanes on I-95 and I-66 with only the driver. My next door neighbor paid $5K extra for his Honda Hybrid so he could do just that. Unfortunately, the Virginia Legislature is voting to stop the privilege since hybrids are clogging the HOV "express" lanes. Can you say "We're Screwed" Boys and Girls ..... :rofl:

Same in NY one person in a Hybrid vehicle can use the HOV lane.

seans
03-14-2006, 07:53 AM
I heard this but I don't know how real it- collisions involving hybrids can create a real disaster including fatal chemical burns and electrocution from these wonderful vehicles. I would imagine that a severe accident would have to involve a HazMat cleanup before there could be extrication for trapped occupants. I am sure that the pollution factor is only shifted now that we have tens of thousands of Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries (which CANNOT be recycled) now and must be disposed of.[/quote]

We've been warned about the possibility of the batteries exploding when we respond to accidents involving these cars.

dwasson
03-14-2006, 08:43 AM
I have a more selfish concern. I keep cars for a long time. What will it cost me to replace that battery at 100K miles?

StevenJ
03-14-2006, 08:50 AM
We have to use foreign crude oil to make all the plastics and battery/electronic components used in the hybrid.

Want to end dependence on crude oil or at least cut it down big time?
Hydrogen or biodiesel.

I like the idea of biodiesel. I mean, who doesn't want to run around in a car smellign like Mikey D's all the time? Well okay, enough fast food frier jokes, I seriously think it is a good idea. That or the new diesel from coal idea. I heard something about it on the news.

Dr Caleb
03-14-2006, 09:18 AM
That or the new diesel from coal idea. I heard something about it on the news.

New? It's called 'synthfuel' and it's never really existed. You won't like these links:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/27/AR2005072702207.html
http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1167738,00.html

KillJoy
03-14-2006, 09:28 AM
The only thing bad, even if it did exist, with a coal based fuel, is that it would eventually be depleated.

With Biodiesel, made from corn oil, it can be EASILY supplied right here in the good 'ol US of A by American Farmers. Burns cleaner too. Instantly there would be no further need for foreign oil. Let 'em sell it to China. See ya!

You can also use Ethanol, a corn based alcohol, to fuel cars. Same concept, differnt methodology.

KillJoy