PDA

View Full Version : Brotherly Advice

Dragcity
03-08-2006, 02:16 PM
I know I am asking for it, so have fun. Hopefully I will get some real advice from my Brethren.

Here Goes:

I have this 1994 Jaguar XJ 12 I really need to get rid of. I have tried the paper, car shows, local dealers and signs in the window. I have not gotten any offers at all. Now I know it's a money pit, even for us motorheads.

Now I don't want to give this thing away completely (like donating it). I was hoping to get like $4,500. KBB says around $5,300.

Any thoughts? What's the possibility with parting it out? It's a solid body, engine, trans and frame. Only 88,000 mi on it. Interior is all there, but worn a bit more than it should be. Previous owner toted around a dog in it apparently....

And no, I am Not British....

All I can say at this point is "BOLLOCKS"

ckadiddle
03-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Join a Jag enthusiast web board and sell it there? I dunno. Sounds like a decent price for a good used car to me.

shakes_26
03-08-2006, 06:04 PM
well mate all I can say is Buggah!

MarauderMark
03-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Try this guy.tell him its a corvette.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/3638934.stm
Nah kiddin aside how about auctions.run it through see what it brings.

GordonB
03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Joe,
I can tell you how we sold my wife's 1984 Olds 98 4dr this past Memorial Day weekend -- drove it around and someone folwwed us into the Home Depot lot and proceeded to button hole us in the parking lot. Up to this point, I tried the Olds Forum, Washington Post newspaper, other on-line bulletin boards, etc. If you can get the car some EXPOSURE, you may be able to sell it, not for as much as $4 or 5 Large, but maybe $2500 to $3500 in that range. Can also try to go to Jag Car Show and just hang out in the parking lot nearby with Signs in your windows. Best of Luck.
GordonB

Dragcity
03-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Try this guy.tell him its a corvette.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/3638934.stm
Nah kiddin aside how about auctions.run it through see what it brings.

Woah! He would probably like that it's a Jag.

Thanks for the input.

I'll wax it up and see what I can do. I suppose I have to suck it up and accept the reality it is only worth what someone is willing to pay...

KillJoy
03-09-2006, 07:11 AM
EBAY!!!!!

I sold my bike on EBay and it went in 3 Days w/ a Buy It Now! They are International and it can be seen by A LOT of people who don't get to read every local paper in the Classifieds.

Costs a total of $62 to sell my bike for $3500

KillJoy

MarauderMark
03-09-2006, 08:38 AM
EBAY!!!!!

I sold my bike on EBay and it went in 3 Days w/ a Buy It Now! They are International and it can be seen by A LOT of people who don't get to read every local paper in the Classifieds.

Costs a total of $62 to sell my bike for $3500

KillJoy
If you end it early then you dont pay a percentage of the price.just a thought.

Leadfoot281
03-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Weren't those prone to engine fires? And interior fires? What does the insurance company say it's worth?

wink, wink...

Dragcity
03-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Not an option on my car. I have Liability only.

I take it out on icy days hoping somone will rear end me....

E-bay sounds like a good choice. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the input.

Leadfoot281
03-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Actually a friend had a Jag just like yours. Not sure what the year was though. It was a builder and he had to put a front clip on it. V-12, rag top, red. Very nice. He sold it to some one on a Jaguar cruise in Madison Wisconsin. I believe he got 10k for it. It was a "rare" California edition with red piping on the seats.

I'd second the opinion to sell it at a Jag club.

Breadfan
03-10-2006, 01:24 PM
For the year, mileage, and price, it sounds like a reasonable price. Can you please post pics, I'm very curious.

For the record, I don't have the money or space to buy it - but still, I'm a big fan of Jaguars.

I nearly bought one about a year ago, it was an '86 with plenty of miles but the V12 - $1800 locally. But that was too scary.

There are a few inherent problems with these cars, the parts for the V12 can be costly, and they are difficult to work on due to space constraints in the engine bay.

So, many fans of Jags love driving those cars, but fear owning one. I don't fear it if it's not a primary car, I'd love to own one with a V12 and plan to in the next year or two.

There is a site - www.jag-lovers.org (http://www.jag-lovers.org) - you could try there.

Here's why I like Jags, my 1980 XJ6 Series III with euro-spec 7" outer headlights. (US versions had the same 5" with an adapter ring and looked unfinished IMO)

Mine was converted to a Chevy 305 small block with 4bbl carb. Paid 1200 bucks for it, worked on it for nearly a year before I drove it, and kept it together with cable ties and electrical tape at times. It taught me a lot, and only once in 3-4 years of service did it not get me home. (Though a few times it was tough!)

As for Jags, what other car in the late 70's early 80's looked this good?

Pics:
http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/pics/jag016.jpg

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/pics/jag004.jpg

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/pics/jag006.jpg

Good luck selling!!

Again, if you can, post pics, maybe someone here is interested. I am, just wish I had space and money for her.

Dragcity
03-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Gimme' a couple days and I'll post some. I replaced the starter on it and you are right, it was tight. Had to remove the left side exhaust and unbol tthe tranny crossmember and lower it 6" to get on the upper bolt. After that it was a peice of cake....

Jags are finicky. Always something to work on.

ole69
03-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Put a for sale sign on it and drive around the upper class side of town......drive slowly so they can see the number
With ads you HOPE someone will look at it, this way everyone sees it

Logan
03-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Seriously, toss it on ebay, if it's worth anything, it'll go for the most on ebay...

Dragcity
03-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks All. Next nice day up here in 'Sunny Buffalo' I'll get her cleaned up and take the proper photos. I haven't put anything up on E-bay yet, so I guess I'll take the plunge.

I appreciate the constructive input and advice.

BUCKWHEAT
03-15-2006, 09:50 PM
If I remember, that car has the 6.0 litre V-12, not the 5.2 that was in the xj-s model. Yours is the last of the Series IV cars. Not popular. Good luck on selling it. The wife said no, I can't buy it.

Breadfan
03-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Oh wow you're totally right, I just assumed it was an XJS, and XJ-12 is a totally differen't animal...

Still awesome. :)

Dragcity
03-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Still fast as hell. Can set the cruise at 160 MPH and it just floats along without a care. Kinda cool in a 5,200 lb four door that sits 7" off the road. It's a VDP with Peruvian Box Wood inlaid in the Burlwood trim. Has the tables that fold down like on a jet for the rear passengers.

My 12 year old Son wants me to keep it for him, NO WAY ! New driver + V12 = Trouble (note the capital 'T')