PDA

View Full Version : What to do, house being destroyed...

Breadfan
03-16-2006, 12:19 PM
So, I have a Chocolate Lab, he's 2.5 years old right now. He's generally a really good dog. He's responsive outside, good on the leash, very kind, etc etc.

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/fpics/sharkey12005.jpg

I leave him in my apartment when I'm at work. I do not crate him - I 1.) don't believe in leaving him in a box for 12-14hrs a day, 2.) he didn't respond well to it as a puppy. Right now I keep him locked in my room/bathroom, which is a good amount of space. There's two big windows for him to look outside of as well.

He gets left with his food, water, dog toys, and rawhide.

The problem is, after a while of being left alone, he seems to still get into trouble.

He's torn some carpet which sucked. But even worse, one day when hte FedEx man knocked on the door he must've freaked out and scratched up the linoleum floor in the bathroom near the main door.

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/fpics/sharkey7011.jpg

Every time he does something destructive (tearing up papers, carpet, floor, etc) I go just about crazy on him. I try yelling and screaming at him, locking him up, even smackin' him upside the nose. Most of the time I don't do much because he knows he did something bad.

I can come home, see a mess, and simply look at it. His ears shoot back, and he darts and hides under the table. He knows he's being bad, but he keeps doing it.

I certainly do not abuse him, and he's extremely well mannered and happy. It's my best guess that he's upset he's left alone so much, but I work full time and can't do much about that - other dogs we've had didn't have a big problem with this.

Like I said, other than messing up my room when I'm at work, he's extremely well mannered. I never got into hitting him, and don't plan to, and anyway, it's clear to me he knows what he's doing.

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/fpics/sharkey7.jpg

So my question is this. How can I curb this behavior? I'm sure others have faced something similar - what can I do to stop this?

The thing is, I've had my sister come by and walk him a few times, not sure if it helps, but it did put a break in the long day for him. I can't do that all the time though, she works too (a lawyer) so she can only do this if I'm having a really long day and she has the time to stop by on her way back from court. If I know I'm working long hours for days in a row I try to take him to visit my parents for the week while I'm extremely busy.

When there is someone around, he's 100% perfect, never touches anything he shouldn't. It's when he's left alone he becomes a problem, and even then it's only after 8 or so hours I believe.

I routinely leave him out in the main area at night if I got out somewhere (errand running, dinner, etC) and he can be left up to 3hrs without doing anything wrong (trusting I don't leave food out in his reach!).

So...what do to?

My best guess right now is I'm going to put a webcam on my computer in my room. I'll be able to login and see what he's up do.

I'd like to also have a communicaitons line back to my room so I can yell at him remotely. Due to port restrictions where I work, it may not be feasible to have an incoming connection like that, so I may do a web based rmeote desktop thing (like GoToMyPC) and record some audio files of me yelling at him, or even just saying "good dog." I can play them remotely over my speakers in my room. :)

Hopefully having the fear of me seeing what he's doing will get him to behave, and even a few words from me may let him know I'm around. Or it'll just freak him out that he hears me and doesn't see me. :)

I wonder if I'm even on the right track...any tips????

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/fpics/sharkey6.jpg

KillJoy
03-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Kennel Cage until he starts acting right

KillJoy

Breadfan
03-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Kennel Cage until he starts acting right

KillJoy

When I said he didn't respond well to it this is what I meant :) - I did try this a while ago. The cage style ones he was able to break out of. Tried reinforicing with the strong cable ties but darn this sucker is strong when he's determined...

Second I got one of the full enclosed travel kennels. All he did there was bark nonstop, drool, and become quite dehyrdated and covered in his own spit.

So, suffice to say, that is not an option at this time.

Haggis
03-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Your dog is bored. If crating is not an option get him/her a playmate or oterwise quit your job to spend more time with the dog. Dogs are worse then children because they can not fully communicate their want and needs. But like children they have there good side and bad side also your dog is 2 1/2yrs old, right. He is going through his terrible twos just like with children. So spend more time with him or get a playmate or give him to a good home where they can give him the attention he needs.

Bluerauder
03-16-2006, 12:38 PM
So, I have a Chocolate Lab, he's 2.5 years old right now.

So...what do to?

Both my son and my daughter have Chocolate Labs. The son's (Yoda--male) is about 11 months old and going through much of the stage that yours is in now. He spends alot of time in his cage....then wants to play and run -- big time -- when my son comes home from work. Getting rid of all that pent up energy from being in a cage for long periods of time is important.

My daughter's lab (Chloe--female) is about 9 months old and much more behaved and controllable. The difference here is that they also have a 3-4 year old German Sheppard (Shadow). I think Chloe learns much about acceptable and unacceptable behavior from watching Shadow. Kind of like siblings. And, the German Sheppard is quick to correct the young lab when she acts up --- or he is in no mood for playing around.

So my advice is to get a cage .... and a 4 year old German Sheppard ... unless quitting your job and staying home is an option. :rofl:

P.S. I am not sure that having a webcam so you can "drop in" is a good idea. Maybe it's better not to know until you get home. :rolleyes:

Tallboy
03-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Let me preface the following with this: An ex-grilfriend, and still a good friend, trains dog for the blind. Has been doing it for years. He's doing this because he is bored/misses you.

Don't hit the dog again. Ever. Not even a "smack upside the nose". The dog does not understand why you're hitting him, or why you're angry. Despite what you may believe.

[Dog:] Why are you angry with me? Did I not chew the [blank] into small enough pieces? Should I have chewed it on the other side of the room? Should I have chewed something else?

The dog has toys, right? The next time you come home, if there's a mess, move the dog out of the room and quietly clean it up. Do not pay any attention to him while you are doing this. Now, when you're done, you can say "hello". But, not until he brings you a "toy". If he drops his toy while you are saying "hello", stop until he picks it up again. Then, when you're done, throw the toy and make him bring it back to you. Reward him with a treat.

Continue this porcess for a few weeks. What we're doing here is teaching the dog to associate you coming home with chewing on a toy. Now, when you're gone, and he's bored/lonely, he'll chew on his toy. You'll either be home soon, or he'll go on to something else-dogs have brief attention spans.

Do not try to cage this dog, as you have apparently used it for punishment. Once this is done, it cannot be un-done. NEVER use a cage as punishment. It should be his "safe" zone when he's scared or frightened. He should be able to go in and out freely. You have ruined the "cage" for him. Only one way to possibly un-do some of this damage. Take the door off. Leave it that way for a week or so. Then, when he's not looking, hide some of his favorite treats in there. Do not encourage him to go look for them. Let him find them on his own.

Hope this helps...

rayjay
03-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Nice dog. I think you've identified your problem already, too much alone time. He gets bored and then into trouble. I don't want to sound harsh, but if you are away for that many hours a day on a consistent basis, you don't have the time to spend with him. Is buying your own place a option? I fenced in a 112' by 14' run for my dogs. They can see both sides of the house and have access to the garage for inclement weather. It seemed to keep them happy and out of trouble. Also kept any rift raf away.

SID210SA
03-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Well, staying long periods by himself is the problem...he needs a companion of some sort....try a radio or T.V. Maybe its lack of noise that gets him going, creating his own noise....on the televison try animal planet....I know they dont really watch a whole lot but, the noise will help to keep him calm... it worked for my not so mannered when left alone dog.

Breadfan
03-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Do not try to cage this dog, as you have apparently used it for punishment.

For what it's worth, I'd like to avoid any discussions of over-punishment, etc - I just don't want to give the impression I have been abusive in anyway to him. I never crated him for punishment, I crated him early on as an attempt to crate-train (as it's been described to me). From the get-go he was never compatible with the crate. I don't know why. My sisters dog, a month older, was crate trained and she (a black lab) didn't have a problem.

Why has mine? I don't know.

I agree - he misses me and is bored. I won't be giving him away, and I can't quit my job. I am changing projects though, so I will be having more time - I got stuck in a very tough project working longer hours to cover for subcontractors who refused to work over 40hrs a week. I'm done with that.

I do plan to try to spend more time with him outside everyday, wearing him out every day is tough. I've even gotten him the light up throw balls so I can play fetch in the dark of night. I've contemplated getting him a friend, maybe from Lab-Rescue, but at the moment in an apartment that is a bad idea. May be house-bound in 6mo's so at that time maybe I'll get another dog.

As for hitting, like I said, a smack on the nose or a tap on the rear once or twice, never did more. I was even told by some that I was not stern enough, but hoenstly I don't buy into that. I agree, he won't know why I'm doing it.

I will say this - there is a clear understanding by him that what he did was wrong. I don't have to say anything at all. I can be silent, look at the mess, he looks at it, and he knows it was wrong.

Once the days get longer and I start getting out earlier, I'll probably take him to the local dog park as much as possible to help him expell more energy.

I know it's partially my fault for leaving him alone, but I think it's easy to agree that's the best I can do for now on that end...

KillJoy
03-16-2006, 12:51 PM
1.) don't believe in leaving him in a box for 12-14hrs a day

give him to a good home where they can give him the attention he needs.

I would agree. It sounds like you want the dog, but just do not have time for it.

KillJoy

Breadfan
03-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Nice dog. I think you've identified your problem already, too much alone time. He gets bored and then into trouble. I don't want to sound harsh, but if you are away for that many hours a day on a consistent basis, you don't have the time to spend with him. Is buying your own place a option? I fenced in a 112' by 14' run for my dogs. They can see both sides of the house and have access to the garage for inclement weather. It seemed to keep them happy and out of trouble. Also kept any rift raf away.

You are right, I'd like to buy a house soon, one with a yard he can have access to during the day.

As for noise, I keep my XM radio on the talk/comedy station when I am gone to give him sound and voices. I think it helps a bit.

Tallboy
03-16-2006, 01:00 PM
For what it's worth, I'd like to avoid any discussions of over-punishment, etc - I just don't want to give the impression I have been abusive in anyway to him. I never crated him for punishment, I crated him early on as an attempt to crate-train (as it's been described to me). From the get-go he was never compatible with the crate. I don't know why. My sisters dog, a month older, was crate trained and she (a black lab) didn't have a problem.

I agree - he misses me and is bored. I won't be giving him away, and I can't quit my job. I am changing projects though, so I will be having more time - I got stuck in a very tough project working longer hours to cover for subcontractors who refused to work over 40hrs a week. I'm done with that.

I do plan to try to spend more time with him outside everyday, wearing him out every day is tough. I've even gotten him the light up throw balls so I can play fetch in the dark of night. I've contemplated getting him a friend, maybe from Lab-Rescue, but at the moment in an apartment that is a bad idea. May be house-bound in 6mo's so at that time maybe I'll get another dog.

As for hitting, like I said, a smack on the nose or a tap on the rear once or twice, never did more. I was even told by some that I was not stern enough, but hoenstly I don't buy into that. I agree, he won't know why I'm doing it.

I will say this - there is a clear understanding by him that what he did was wrong. I don't have to say anything at all. I can be silent, look at the mess, he looks at it, and he knows it was wrong.

Once the days get longer and I start getting out earlier, I'll probably take him to the local dog park as much as possible to help him expell more energy.

I know it's partially my fault for leaving him alone, but I think it's easy to agree that's the best I can do for now on that end...

Never said you over-punished him. I don't think you have.

Despite what you may be interpreting by his actions, he does not know what he did is wrong-if he did he wouldn't do it. He understands that you're mad at him. This is why, when we see a mess, we ignore it. Don't even look at him. Move him out of the room, close the door if you have to, and clean it up.

He's a beautiful dog [my sister has two of them]. I wish you both well.

Breadfan
03-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Never said you over-punished him. I don't think you have.

Despite what you may be interpreting by his actions, he does not know what he did is wrong-if he did he wouldn't do it. He understands that you're mad at him. This is why, when we see a mess, we ignore it. Don't even look at him. Move him out of the room, close the door if you have to, and clean it up.

He's a beautiful dog [my sister has two of them]. I wish you both well.

Heheh, hey, sorry if I'm sounding like I'm taking anything wrong - I'm not, just wanted to be sure I was writing things in such a way that I wasn't appearing like I was abusing him. I'm sensitive to such things, and would hate it to sound like that, ya know?

Honestly everything that's been written has been great advice. Tallboy and Haggis hit on things that are correct but that I don't really want to hear but think about and keep in the back of my head.

There is the chance that I can't handle him with my current situation and the most humane thing would be to pass him off to someone atleast temporarily. Right now I'm trying to avoid that. I'm hoping with my new job I'll be able to spend more time with him, and maybe you are right and he'll change his attitude.

I'm nothing but nice when I'm home, don't want to upset him more. I agree - he's bored and misses me.

I guess I was hoping there's something that can be done. We've had other dogs that would be left just as long and never had a problem. This one seems to really take offense to it though. I wasn't sure if there was something training-wise that could be done.

I do appreciate the responses, and hopefully in my goal to not look like a bad-guy in this situation I'm not uncovering that in fact I am for putting the dog in this kind of situation.

What I'd like to find now is a mutually good answer that keeps him happy (he is happy right now, just not so much during the day I guess) and keeps my stuff from being wrecked. I'm guessing there is no easy answer here...

Hope I wasn't coming across bad though, I do appreciate the comments. :)

KillJoy
03-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Geta another dog, then he would have a friend........or aa accomplace :D

KillJoy

Breadfan
03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Your dog is bored. If crating is not an option get him/her a playmate or oterwise quit your job to spend more time with the dog. Dogs are worse then children because they can not fully communicate their want and needs. But like children they have there good side and bad side also your dog is 2 1/2yrs old, right. He is going through his terrible twos just like with children. So spend more time with him or get a playmate or give him to a good home where they can give him the attention he needs.

Thanks for the advice Gordon. :) Sadly you are probably right in much of what you say. Still, before I think to far about throwing the towel in I'm hoping to find a workable solution.

Maybe a more structured routine would help. I could wake up earlier to spend more time with him, and stay out later to do the same. He's got his light up ball and an open field behind the apartments, just sometimes a tired Mike shirks on these possibilities.

So sounds to me like part of the fix is more dedication on my part. That I can fix.

Are there any other training duties I could do in the meantime to help quell his destructive attitude or is there no fix and this is solely a byproduct of my absense during the day?

martyo
03-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Immediately by the book "Marley & Me." It is on the best seller's list right now. You will see that there is no hope. Just love him with all your heart. Labs = the best kept secret about misbehaving dogs!

I have two and love 'em to death. I have more money tied up in them than I do my Marauder!

The good news is he will outgrow this behavior in another 8 years, when he stops being a puppy.

One things that works well with these dogs is a shock collar. Set the dog up to misbehave and then use the collar. He will learn quickly. I know it sounds inhumane, but the use of collars is ASPCA approved.

Let us know how you make out.

magindat
03-16-2006, 01:28 PM
I had a finnish spitz (a hunting breed) in a condo. She went nuts. i gave to a dog hunter. She un-went nuts.

I now have a house with an acre. I have a pit/bulldog/cur. That yard is HERS, dammit. She's so good and calm, just like you descibe yours. But when I have to put her in my shop (20x26) cuz the exterminator is coming, she trashes anything she can get a hold of. Some dogs just can't handle being pent up. I got a chihuahua, too. The acre isn't big enough for her. She escapes constantly. I send the big dog to bring her back! Dogs got personalities just like people. A co-worker has a mastiff that is perfectly happy in the house all day. Go figure. Maybe your baby just ain't made to be pent up. That's sad for you, but you gotta do what's best for the dog.
You have an open invitiation to keep your pup on my acre, assuming it's fixed. It'll get the TLC, too. My wife would love it.

Good luck, man.

martyo
03-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Stanley says that he will give him lessons on how to relax!:

http://www.legalknevil.com/albums/My-Dogs/aaq.sized.jpg

Bluerauder
03-16-2006, 01:39 PM
My wife would love it.
Now here's an option that you may not have considered. Go out and get yourself a wife ... she can keep the dog company and clean up the house while you are at work. This will be a very expensive investment but well worth it in the long run until kids come along and then you are gonna need more cages. :rolleyes: J/K folks. :rofl: Just trying to lighten the atmosphere a little -- Mike seems a little stressed. :(

2003 MIB
03-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I think there's value in starting a toy rotation. A different toy is left with the dog each day you are gone- a rotation of five is probably cool. Hide treats- Labs love those Kong toys.
Shock collars- I felt like a real jerk THE FIRST TIME I started using one on my Pitbull, Missy to deter her from her frequent backyard escapes. They work and I tried the collar around my leg- it can be set to simply annoy (like a tongue on a nine volt battery). It's a valid suggestion and I'm a fan now.

SheboyganGuy
03-16-2006, 01:43 PM
It sounds like your dog is feeling some separation anxiety, but he is also young. I had a chocolate lab who did the same thing until she was about 3 years old, suddenly she just settled down into being a great dog. She once pulled the carpet up in a 9x13 room, ripped up the padding (the biggest piece I could find was about 6 inches square) and managed to turn the carpet upside down. All this in less than 3 hours!

Does he have a lot of toys at his disposal when he's alone? You should handle his toys so they smell like you, that may encourage him to play with them more, instead of getting into trouble.

And plenty of excercise is a must. I used to do 3-4 miles with mine every day, just to use up that energy, and that seemed to help a lot.

MarauderMark
03-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Other than biting the hand that feeds just for pushing him away but other than that he's good and smart.So the smartness makes up for the scares.i quess i'm lucky.:rolleyes:

Badger
03-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Another option might be to find a dog daycare center. I had a co worker with a young black lab who would bring the dog into DC to a day care center. While he was at work the dog got a chance to interact with other dogs and shed some excess energy.
That dog was probably the best adapted dog I've ever met.

alarmguy
03-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Walk him on a leash, an hour, every day. That's what the dog whisperer would say.

HwyCruiser
03-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Another option might be to find a dog daycare center. I had a co worker with a young black lab who would bring the dog into DC to a day care center. While he was at work the dog got a chance to interact with other dogs and shed some excess energy.
That dog was probably the best adapted dog I've ever met.

What he ^^^ said.

Got a PetsMart in your town? They do doggie daycare around here, fairly reasonable when I looked into it when me and the mutt took one of their training classes.

CRUZTAKER
03-16-2006, 06:53 PM
I leave him in my apartment ...

Large dog?

Apartment?

The problem is obvious.
The solution is not.

younga1
03-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Ok, we have now been together almost 14 years. My chocolate was a birthday present from my wife. At 9 months, bilateral hip surgery (My vet, breeders $$$.) Both stepped up to the plate. Loved him even more.

Ate everything from floors to walls. Still, loved him even more.

Several years later, cancer and another surgery. Came through well. Loved him even more.

Bought a new home. Dug a hole in the kitchen floor. Still loved him. At 10, dug a hole in the living room carpet. Still love him!!!

Added a playmate rescued from a trip to the pound. Half Black Lab, half Grate Dane (wife's idea at 6 mo. pregnant). Never argue with a 6mo. pregnant woman.

Now, "the playmate" has eaten the staircase rails, the window sills and is a new companion in the digging the carpet game.

Some day, they will both be gone, the carpet, staircase and window sills will be fixed and I will be wishing they were here to eat in all over again!!!

Our vet of 20 years who has been through it all with the dogs before the above two was killed late last year in a head on collison. I knew him and trusted him better than any M.D. I have ever met. The sign in his practice read "Compassionate Critter Care". It should have read "Critter Care by Compassionate man". Dog people are special people.

Love the dog!!!, replace what he eats. He loves you regardless.. period.

PS: I love cats too......."taste just like chicken":lol: !

DefyantExWife
03-16-2006, 07:04 PM
They have doggie day cares now. There's one about 10 miles from my house. Pricey, but they have all-day play, with people and other dogs.

I doubt quitting your job is a possibility like Haggis suggested. The only other alternative i see is to find him a more suitable home, one where someone is home almost always, or has a fenced yard out back and a playmate. That sucks, but in the end, the dog would be happier.

Look for doggie daycares in your area.

dwasson
03-16-2006, 07:27 PM
From the get-go he was never compatible with the crate. I don't know why. My sisters dog, a month older, was crate trained and she (a black lab) didn't have a problem.

First, credentials: I am the national Chair for Kuvasz Rescue. I have placed over 150 dogs personally and I have been involved in the placement of another 700-800. I have fostered over 60 Kuvasz and other breeds in my home and I have rehabilitated all but one. That dog was a biter. Maybe I could have fixed that but, I would never know for sure and I like owning my house.

I am a certified dog trainer and Canine Behavioral Counselor. I have over 20 years experience teaching obedience classes and I am currently an associate of the Animal Behavioral Institute.

I know dogs

You made a poor breed choice for an apartment dog. Labs have too much energy to left on their own for 12 hours per day. It would be a kindness to place him with someone who can keep him entertained.He is easier to place at 2 years than 3, and easier at 3 than 4. Barring that, you are going to have to do things that you don't want to do if you want to keep this dog. You are way behind the curve with this dog. Coming in with a bad problem and list of things that you aren't willing to do to fix it is not going to help..

The dog was crate compatable, you weren't. He has you trained.

First, get an airline crate put him in it and let him get upset. He'll get over it. He acts that way because it works. When you leave, put him in the crate, and give him 1 (one) beef leg bone filled with peanut butter, and 1 (one) Kong ball filled with peanut butter. Do not give him these treats when you are at home. These are only for when he is in the crate. The dog will not notice that you have left.

NEVER let him out of the crate when he is making noise. He will learn that he only gets out of the crate when he quiet and calm. If you crate him at night, and I recommend this, do not tolerate noise in the crate. Should he make noise, bang on the crate, squirt him with a spray bottle of lemon water, or anything else that causes him to lose his train of thought.

When you get home, you have to tire him out. A tired dog is a good dog.

After 20 years of dog training and breed rescue I can tell you with certainty that dogs in crates never destroy the house.

Crates save more dog's lives than veterinarians do. Because, if you don't fix this problem you will get to a breaking point and give up the dog.

dwasson
03-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Every time he does something destructive (tearing up papers, carpet, floor, etc) I go just about crazy on him. I try yelling and screaming at him, locking him up, even smackin' him upside the nose. Most of the time I don't do much because he knows he did something bad.

I can come home, see a mess, and simply look at it. His ears shoot back, and he darts and hides under the table. He knows he's being bad, but he keeps doing it.

I think that you are wrong here too. The dog doesn't know that he screwed up. He knows that there is a mess and your body language says that you are upset. He doesn't remember making the mess. Dogs exist totally in the moment, there is now, and not now.

I proved this with another dog. The owner said that the dog knew he was wrong when he tipped over the garbage and I insisted that the dog didn't. I asked the owner to, just before stepping out the door, tip over the garbage can. Then, five minutes later, the owner comes back in the house, looks at the garbage can, and the dog slinks away.

STOP GIVING DOGS HUMAN MOTIVATIONS!!!!!!

Dogs are dogs, they do things for dog reasons and they have to live in human society. If you can't train your dog to be a good citizen you both will be miserable for his whole life. If you are paying the bills and have the opposible thumb it is your job to train him.

txmarauder
03-16-2006, 08:11 PM
I have 8 dogs and 2 cats and they all live indoors. I should say we because i had 3 dogs then my girlfreind had one dog and 2 cats. She said her dog was fixed, WRONG. We had 5 pug-terrier mix puppies, the cutest things you will ever see until now when the are at their terrible 2s. I have accepted the resonsibility instead of giving them away, you cant tell what people will do to animals when they dont want them anymore.

I have a newer house built in 2000 and they started to trash it, so now they have their own room. It is a 12x12 bedroom with the carpet removed and the concrete painted with garage floor paint for easy clean up since at times they are alone more than 12 hours at a time. DO NOT crate the dog since you will be gone for around 12 hours. Dogs will not go to the bathroom where they sleep so they will hold it which is unhealthy (can you hold it for even eight hours, i cant) You have to dog proof the room he will be in, do not replace the flooring, leave it till you get ready to move out or he will just destroy that too. If you love this dog and you see yourself moving within a year then look into daycare or freinds or family coming over at times to play with him. If you love him dont give up on him it is only a temporary problem that will yeild years of happiness.

Marauder.45
03-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Didn't read whole thread....so if dupe sorry...

Do you have time 1 night a week for professional obedience training with your pooch?(Not petsmart, someone specializing in large breeds and correction training) The bonding time with your dog from going will establish you as the Alpha. It will also teach you how to train your dog for other things. Once the dog recognizes your authority and respects the home, you'll have less problems. But old habits are hard to break. Do your best to "Dog Proof" your house. Eliminate the temptation. Never be 100%, but better.

1stMerc
03-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the advice Gordon. :) Sadly you are probably right in much of what you say. Still, before I think to far about throwing the towel in I'm hoping to find a workable solution.

Maybe a more structured routine would help. I could wake up earlier to spend more time with him, and stay out later to do the same. He's got his light up ball and an open field behind the apartments, just sometimes a tired Mike shirks on these possibilities.

So sounds to me like part of the fix is more dedication on my part. That I can fix.

Are there any other training duties I could do in the meantime to help quell his destructive attitude or is there no fix and this is solely a byproduct of my absense during the day?

The time spent with your dog is a good sentiment and beneficial for both of you, but is not the total answer to your problem. The time you spend away is the problem. I went through the exact same thing with a shepard/chow mix with the exception that i have a house and yard. If he wasn't in the house tearing up he was in the yard chewing up barbeque grill covers, digging holes in the yard, chewing up the wiring on the motorcycle (dead battery) the string trimmer line or other destructive behavior. Guess i should have know i was in trouble when the first thing he chewed was my PS2 video cable the Sunday morning after bringing him home the previous day. He had the dogs next door to play with and did, but he also impressed them with his digging talents quite frequently. Toys didn't last long either as he always managed to chew them to itty bitty pieces. He was two years old and part of his problem was just needing something to exercise his teeth.

I wish i could say i had an answer to your situation, but i lost him three days after getting my Marauder. He magically got out while i was at work and allegedly trounced the little yipper next door and animal control got him. Since i don't believe in kenneling a dog within a big backyard ( their condition for his release) i left him with them. So never got to impliment any of the solutions mentioned here and ones i've heard and read. Just be patient and maybe he will grow out of it as your routine gets a little more predictable and manageable. As with house breaking, bodily function control he will learn to anticipate when you will be returning home curb his anxiety.

Just remember dogs have a short memory span and it can take weeks of consistent behavior modification and routine before it becomes second nature.

Good Luck!!

Breadfan
03-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm going to look into doggie daycare. I hope to have a house within a year.

I spent a longer amount of time playing with him today, and realized with my schedule I've not been doing that at much. So yes, I believe the majority of blame is placed squarely on me.

It is stressful, but like everything else that's tough I figure out the problem and implement a solution. Even if it's not an easy solution.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll find out what will work for now and do it, difficult or not. :)

So you guys think PetSmart DayCamp is safe? The one near my place offers it, just checked, will stop in tommorrow for a price list...

magindat
03-17-2006, 06:18 AM
Thanks guys!

I'm going to look into doggie daycare. I hope to have a house within a year.
Thanks for all the tips, I'll find out what will work for now and do it, difficult or not. :)

So you guys think PetSmart DayCamp is safe? The one near my place offers it, just checked, will stop in tommorrow for a price list...

Honestly, the offer stands. Your pup can 'vacation' with us (if he's fixed) 'till you get your house, no charge, acre yard, sunny Florida, and doggy friends, if it comes to that. I know you hope it doesn't, but know you have the option if you feel you need it.

Sincere good luck,
Rich

Haggis
03-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Honestly, the offer stands. Your pup can 'vacation' with us (if he's fixed) 'till you get your house, no charge, acre yard, sunny Florida, and doggy friends, if it comes to that. I know you hope it doesn't, but know you have the option if you feel you need it.

Sincere good luck,
Rich
I would offer the same, but Chris would not allow it. Not to make her the bad guy, she has her reasons.

I'll tell you some destructive dog stories on Sunday. Pitbull terrible twos.

Breadfan
03-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys.

magindat, thanks very much for the offer. I'll keep it in the back of my mind, thanks to the above tips I have options to try out. Also, my parents live an hour away and have 15 acres of land and 2 dogs. He visits them often, sometimes stays for the week, if push came to shove I'm sure they would accomodate. But, having your option available is great appreciated! :) :beer:

I'm stopping by PetSmart to see how much the daycamp costs, even if not a daily thing I may do every other day to break up the hum-drum for him. Once the days get longer too I can get him to the dog park more.

Fastronald
03-19-2006, 07:58 PM
I'd say he's bored being alone..................have a friend or family member stop bye to let him out or play with him.

My Daughter's dog was like that until she got the idea to play while she was alone during the day.

Dan
03-20-2006, 06:54 AM
It sounds like your dog is feeling some separation anxiety, but he is also young. I had a chocolate lab who did the same thing until she was about 3 years old, suddenly she just settled down into being a great dog. She once pulled the carpet up in a 9x13 room, ripped up the padding (the biggest piece I could find was about 6 inches square) and managed to turn the carpet upside down. All this in less than 3 hours!

Does he have a lot of toys at his disposal when he's alone? You should handle his toys so they smell like you, that may encourage him to play with them more, instead of getting into trouble.

And plenty of excercise is a must. I used to do 3-4 miles with mine every day, just to use up that energy, and that seemed to help a lot.
This is one of the best suggestions so far. In fact, if you watch the "Dog Whisperer" or look at what Ceasar Milan has done with dogs virtually every thing starts with tiring out the dog with exercise. It is the dogs energy that gives him the will to resist. Tire him out and they fall into line very, very quickly.

I have even noticed this with my dog, a smooth fox terrier. Notorious for not healing. If I take him out and briskly walk him for 30 minutes or so he begins to heal very, very well. Again, it's making them tired that does it.

If your dog is tired he may very well sleep most of the day and not even care that you are out. Being anxious takes energy. A tired dog doesn't have that as much energy to be anxious like he does when he is rested.

There are things that you can do to walk the dog even if you, yourself, cannot walk that far. You can try waling him on a machine. (We do this at times with our dog.) You can try with a bicycle. You can hire someone. I have even known professionals to use their auto for this purpose.

But walking him when you come home won't help the behavior. Walk him in the morning so as to put him into a rest period for your day. I don't think anyone has mentioned to do it in the morning but that will really be the best time for the dog. Doing it again when you come is also good.

This treatment will help him and help you. And you'll both become very close.

The toys, the treats are all good suggestions. The guy that said to train him to hold toys until you greet him was dead on. By getting him to hold toys for you to great him you put him in an "Dad's almost home" state instead of a "Dad's gone I miss him" state. I thought that was a good trick.

One more thing. If you are, as you say, gone for 12-14 hours a day you are placing a demand on the dogs that is probably far more than he can handle. My wife and I have a dog and have arranged our schedules to walk him in the AM, around lunch, at 5'ish and then before we go to bed.

As far as correcting a dog, I fell into the trap of correcting my dog for his naughtiness while I was away. What I later learned was that correcting a dog must be done at the moment of the bad behavior or shortly thereafter. Dogs live in this 10 second space and have no recollection of what happened before that. I also noticed that my dog went from being happy that I was home to being afraid (ears back, low slung head, tail down) within seconds of my coming home. Now, when I come home, I just greet him nicely, let him out, and take care of any of his little annoyances. (For example, he likes to chew on tissues.)

One final thought. Keep in mind that dogs are opportunists and, because of that, you should also dog proof your space. Using my dog as a further example, if/when he gets a tissue I don't get mad at him I simply blame myself because I left a tissue where he could get at it. I would love to train him to not do this but we have come to grips with an easier solution. To keep tissues put away.

Sorry for the long post.

It sounds to me like you'll need to undertake a mix of treatments/therapies for your dog as well as yourself. After all, dog training is really human training that we give credit to a dog for. :)

Best,

Dan

Dan
03-20-2006, 07:01 AM
PS: It also sounds like you are willing. For that you should be praised.

metroplex
03-20-2006, 07:12 AM
I have heard that lab puppies are very energetic and you must exercise them to the point they are tired.

martyo
03-20-2006, 07:56 AM
For that you should be praised.

And given a biscuit. :woof:

DEFYANT
03-20-2006, 08:02 AM
And given a biscuit. :woof:

Dam you Marty! You beat me to it! :lol:

Ozz
03-20-2006, 11:48 AM
I didn' read all the responses here but I still want to give you my .02.

As for the crate - my beagle was a terror when she was young and had to be caged during the day. Her cage was in the basement and she hated it. She destroyed 2 or 3 cages before we found one that would hold her. I remember using hose clamps to keep the joints together because tie wraps were not strong enough.
When she got older she was able to be loose in the house again (among leather couches, etc)... at about age 7, she started tearing up cook books (or any other book, note pad, etc she could get to that had glue in the spine). Well we set up her cage in the guest bed room and put all her favorite bed, toys, etc in it. We left the door open. My wife would occasionally hide a treat in it. Pretty soon she started going into it voluntarily and slept in it much of the time. We were able to start shutting the door. She had forgot about her bad experience in the basement and had adopted the cage as her den. We are very careful not to yell at her while in the cage or to use it as punishment. My wife still gives her 1/2 a treat and hides 1/2 a treat in her bedding every day. She is smart enough now that if we take showers, turn off the TV, etc, she will 'go to her room' and wait for us to close the door. So I am saying that just because the cage didn't work before doesn't mean it won't work now. Try moving it to another area, put nice stuff in it, leave the door open and see if your dog will use it as a den.

The other thing is that animals have very short term memories and do not know why you're diciplining them unless you catch them in the act. It is counter productive to dicipline a dog for doing something bad while you are away. Always positive reinforcement. It took me a very long time to be able to control my anger when I would come home to a mess. One time the beagle ate 3 remote controls, a few CD's and a wicker basket one day... $200 + to replace it all... I wanted to kill her. I definitely learned some patience. It really was my fault since I knew she was destructive and I chose not to properly act to avoid the outcome.

Exercise is also very important. I think a lot of Ritilin kids could just use more exercise... but anyway - if your dog will run along side you on a leash, take him for a bike ride... I friend had a black lab and would do 10 MILES on a mountain bike in the woods at a time with his dog...
My wife would take our beagle rolerblading. She would circle the neighborhood until the dog stopped pulling her. Beware of squirrels though - the beagle tried to turn sharply at full gallop one time and ended up doing a barrel roll as my wife kept going straight.
The dog would behave for a week after rollerblading though!

The good news is that at 2-1/2 years old, the worst is behind you. Try getting your dog to love the cage as his 'den' before caging him up again and lots of exercise... that's your best bet I think.