PDA

View Full Version : ...Computer question.

Petrograde
03-17-2006, 05:11 PM
ok,.. I know just enough about computers and software to be dangerous. :o

My monitor has been flickering between normal color and blue. It's really annoying. It'll be ok for a few minutes, then it'll start changing colors again.

So,.. is it....

Video card?

or Monitor?

Thanks!

Todd
03-17-2006, 05:21 PM

My monitor has been flickering between normal color and blue. It's really annoying. It'll be ok for a few minutes, then it'll start changing colors again.

So,.. is it....

Video card?

or Monitor?

Thanks!

My guess is video card. Put it on another pc to see if it looks ok...

My bet is the monitor will look ok there.

MM2004
03-17-2006, 05:32 PM

So,.. is it....

Video card?

or Monitor?

Thanks!

Run thru the menu of the monitor and find either reset to factory defaults or "degaus" (sp?)

That may narrow down if it is monitor or vid. card.

Mike.

Petrograde
03-17-2006, 05:41 PM
I don't have another computer to check it with. I did try degaussing it,.. it didn't work.

I just updated the Nvidia drivers,... so far so good. but we'll see.

Thanks for the replies so far.

grampaws
03-17-2006, 05:46 PM
The wire is broken in the cable othe plug is loose!
Wiggle it and the problem should come and go!!

Petrograde
03-17-2006, 05:52 PM
The wire is broken in the cable othe plug is loose!
Wiggle it and the problem should come and go!!

hmmm,... that may be the problem. but it seems like the power recepticle in the back of the monitor is loose. ....weird.

Thanks!

dwasson
03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Normally it's a bad pin in the video cable.

ckadiddle
03-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Is your monitor one of the newer thin flat panel monitors or one of the older bulky CRT style?

BK_GrandMarquis
03-17-2006, 10:20 PM

So,.. is it....
Video card?
or Monitor?
Thanks!

From my experience, symptoms that you describe is usually a loose cable. But it sounds like you checked that already. Have you checked the pins on the connectors? How old is your monitor? I've seen old CRT monitors go after about 4-5 years. Most last a decent bit longer.

Do you have any that might have a magnet in it? A speaker too close can distort the colors on a monitor.

Gre8one7
03-17-2006, 10:24 PM
My thought would be the cord is loose in the back...try messin with it a little. I know when mine is loose it turns the monitor green.

Petrograde
03-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Is your monitor one of the newer thin flat panel monitors or one of the older bulky CRT style?

It's a 22" no name CRT, I've had it for about 4 years. No magnets have been near it. I think it may be time to upgrade to an LCD.

MM03MOK
03-18-2006, 06:20 AM
It's a 22" no name CRT, I've had it for about 4 years. No magnets have been near it. I think it may be time to upgrade to an LCD.CRT=Cathode Ray Tube

http://content.answers.com/main/content//img/ahd4/A4cathry.jpg

SergntMac
03-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Power supply is going south.