PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerators - What do you suggest

DEFYANT
03-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Lisa has tasked me with refrigerator research. So naturally I came to a Marauder site to poke around. Yeah right. Anyway... Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Basically, we want the kind with the frige on the bottom and freezer on top. And she can have any color she wants - as long as its black.

Thanks.

Dan
03-19-2006, 10:44 AM
If you have a black Marauder you can use this as an excuse to park it in your house. Run a pipe from the exhaust to the outside and leave it idling with the A/C on full. Then put your food in it.

She gets a new fridge and you get to fall asleep to the sound of your MM purring in the house.

Oh, and if your MM is NOT black then this is a perfect excuse to get another one.

One question. What type of response did you expect to get from posting a refrigerator question on a Marauder site. :) :P :)

Best,

Dan

Dan
03-19-2006, 10:45 AM
But seriously, take her to Lowes or Home Depot. You'll find something there and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

jgc61sr2002
03-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Charlie - I would suggest one that has an energy star label. It may cost a little more now but you will make it back with the energy it saves.:D
Try Sears .

gpfarrell
03-19-2006, 10:48 AM
See if you can find a Sears Appliance Scratch & Dent Outlet in your area.

If a fridge is delivered to somebody's home and it won't fit through the door it still can't be sold as new.

They typically have very nice merchandise... you'll see a few bashed-up ones there too, but plenty of nice ones.

I doubt you'll find any helpful service... we never do... but the deals keep us coming back for more.

jimlam56
03-19-2006, 11:00 AM

If a fridge is delivered to somebody's home and it won't fit through the door it still can't be sold as new.

They typically have very nice merchandise... you'll see a few bashed-up ones there too, but plenty of nice ones.

I doubt you'll find any helpful service... we never do... but the deals keep us coming back for more.
This is a great suggestion.
I have purchased most of my major appliances here.
An example was a washer that had a big dent on the right side...just where it buts up to the dryer, so totally hidden. It was 300 bucks off the normal price...

Brutus
03-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Consumer reports rates the top 3 as:

1-GE Profile (PTS22LHR)

2-Kenmore (7425)

3-Whirlpool (ET8FTEXM)

The Whirlpool was also rated as "Best Buy"

Repair History is rated as: (1 being fewest repairs)

1-Whirlpool
2-Kenmore
3-GE
4-Kithchenaid
5-Frigidaire

If memory serves me correctly, Smokie should be able to give some good advice on this!!

DEFYANT
03-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Wow, some great reaponses. I already tried the "matching black MM" trick. No good.

The scratch and dent place is the next stop.

Thanks

SergntMac
03-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Cool.......

STLR FN
03-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Consumer reports rates the top 3 as:

1-GE Profile (PTS22LHR)

2-Kenmore (7425)

3-Whirlpool (ET8FTEXM)

The Whirlpool was also rated as "Best Buy"

Repair History is rated as: (1 being fewest repairs)

1-Whirlpool
2-Kenmore
3-GE
4-Kithchenaid
5-Frigidaire

If memory serves me correctly, Smokie should be able to give some good advice on this!!

Kenmore, Whirlpool and KitchenAid are all made by Whirlpool. Found that out by looking for a fridge myself.

jim geary
03-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Kitchen Aid makes excellent product. Only problem is they ain't cheep.

DL04
03-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Charlie,If you get one full of Guinness:beer: I know a couple of guys that will help movin' it in for you!

Canadasvt
03-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Kenmore changes it's supplier more than my baby does diapers. You would have to ask a Sears rep who is manufacturing their fridge at that time.
Amana has a great reputation.

jdando
03-19-2006, 02:04 PM
I think you should get a big one! We have a side-by-side and the wife says it is not big enough. The traditional up and down gives you more room.

jeremy who just spent $140 on groceries

Mike M
03-19-2006, 02:09 PM
I love my LG!

martyo
03-19-2006, 02:30 PM
I just bought an Amana. I like it.

fastblackmerc
03-19-2006, 03:07 PM
I just bought an Amana. I like it.
Just got my wife an Amana also. Two doors on the top, pull out freezer section on the bottom. Let's see that was about 10% of what a Trigoloy S/C costs.....

Hotrauder
03-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Charlie, get the largest one that will fit into the house. Stake out at least 1/2 a shelf for your good stuff. Lise can pack the rest with all the rabbit food and doggy treats and icy pops for the kids. Get one normal size and you will be lucky to get 2 beers at a time in there. BIGGEST HINT-put the old refer in the garage and you can fill the whole dam thing with good stuff! Put a lock on it..wouldn't want Lisa to really loosen up...probably get you:banned: Good luck..Oh, a black one will show every little finger print and wipe off. You will spend more time detailing the refer than your car. Dennis:beer:

fastblackmerc
03-19-2006, 03:14 PM
I'd stay away from the stainless steel ones also.... pain in the arse keeping the finger prints off.

Smokie
03-19-2006, 03:23 PM
I would recommend going to Sears and buying a Kenmore refrigerator made by Whirlpool, model # starts with 106. thats how you know is made by Whirlpool. If your wife prefers one with the Whirlpool brand thats ok also, but you get better bang for the buck with the one made to Sears specs, Whirlpool also makes Kitchen Aid, cosmetic upgrades(bigger price) same working components.

Sears sells all the brands that were suggested in this thread, the one I suggest is the one with the least repairs (I don't mean perfect, just least repairs) I recommend getting the 5 year service contract, at the time of sale it is dirt cheap. You get yearly cleanings of the condenser coil and all parts and labor, customer instructs.

Home service when something breaks is VERY EXPENSIVE (I know this personally) The other places that sell appliances do not have national service departments like Sears does. Best of luck with your decision.:)

Joe Walsh
03-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Lisa has tasked me with refrigerator research. So naturally I came to a Marauder site to poke around. Yeah right. Anyway... Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Basically, we want the kind with the frige on the bottom and freezer on top. And she can have any color she wants - as long as its black.

Thanks.

What NO 'Harvest Gold'.....NO 'Avocado'...????

Bluerauder
03-19-2006, 04:07 PM
My sister has a "Sub Zero" with the refrigerator top and freezer pull out on the bottom. Tons of room and it has a cherry panel front to match her cabinets. Looks built in. She had it over 10 years and not a problem yet. However, the SubZero is fairly pricey.

I have a Maytag MSD 2422GR 23.5 cu ft side by side with cubed/crushed ice and water in the door. It fits well for our needs. I believe it was about $1100.00 or so. Has the no fingrprint finish and comes in white, black, or stainless steel versions.

Mad4Macs
03-19-2006, 04:37 PM
My best friend's parents own a HotPoint refrigerator and a FrigidAire stove.
We ate frozen pizza and burnt ice cream at least 3 times each week.

jimlam56
03-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Charlie, where else can you get such knowledge/advice?
Doesn't matter what subject...:P

usafsniper
03-19-2006, 06:07 PM
We had to get a new one about 6 months ago and got the extra large Whirlpool at Lowes. Sorry, don't remember the model number, but it's dual door, with water ice on the left, and built in water filter system. We love it...it holds a hoard of food, and is quiet running. The built in water filter system is great as well.

DEFYANT
03-19-2006, 06:43 PM
We got the fridge!!

We went to the Sears Outlet in Timonium, Maryland. Lisa found the Fridge I needed. Thanks Hon. :D

Gotta love outlets. This thing has a small dent on the left side about one foot off the floor.

This is it: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=04665209000&tab=spe#tab

Here is where it gets good. It lists for $940.00. They marked it down to $657.93. Lisa goes and gets the guy (when I'm not lookin! :rolleyes: ) and gets the price down to $470.00!!! :eek:

Now, she was only alone with the guy for less than 5 minutes! So it's not what you pervs are thinkin! Though, I hope she didn't "boobie" the price down.

Thanks to you all for your help. :beer:

snowbird
03-19-2006, 06:55 PM

Thanks.

Move to Quebec city and park your black Marauder outside. You get the trunk and the four side doors as access for the freezer. For the frige function, start the car and let it idle 5 minutes or so, to taste.:)

Fastronald
03-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Go to Sears and Home Depot.........check them out .......buy what fits your needs best

gpfarrell
03-20-2006, 07:32 AM
We got the fridge!!

Lisa goes and gets the guy (when I'm not lookin! :rolleyes: ) and gets the price down to $470.00!!! :eek:

Cool... more money for the go-fast budget!

hitchhiker
03-20-2006, 12:46 PM

Thanks.

One big enough to hold several Republicans!

:D

Dan
03-20-2006, 01:11 PM

Their so hot right now it would take more than a regular fridge to cool them off. If they weren't then we wouldn't have to see this type of attempted humor, would we? :lol:

hitchhiker
03-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Their so hot right now it would take more than a regular fridge to cool them off. If they weren't then we wouldn't have to see this type of attempted humor, would we? :lol:

I don't know why the voices told me to write that!

:lol:

Dan
03-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Ahh the voices. I love the voices. :)

Cheeseheadbob
03-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Charlie, I concur. There is a store in Lutherville. I bought a top of the line stainless 28 cubic ft. fridge with filtered water and ice dispenser and all the bells and whistles for about $1,000. Retail price was around $2100. All it had wrong with it was one little ding on the side where they obviously tried to get it thru a door and did not make it. Everything else was perfect!

DEFYANT
03-20-2006, 09:50 PM

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/images/smilies/tired.gif

Hotrauder
03-23-2006, 05:34 AM
Here is where it gets good. It lists for $940.00. They marked it down to $657.93. Lisa goes and gets the guy (when I'm not lookin! :rolleyes: ) and gets the price down to $470.00!!! :eek:

Now, she was only alone with the guy for less than 5 minutes! So it's not what you pervs are thinkin! Though, I hope she didn't "boobie" the price down.

Charlie, You know Lisa was only humoring you. She needs shopping help alright, but only to carry the stuff home. Get out of the way, man. Dennis:D
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

DefyantExWife
03-23-2006, 05:42 AM
isnt there a rule against awakening 3-days-dead threads ?

:banned:

Hotrauder
03-23-2006, 05:47 AM
Rules don't work for people who don't pay attention. What was the question? :confused: Dennis

DefyantExWife
03-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Did you say something Dennis ??? :sleepy: :D

Hotrauder
03-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Did you say something Dennis ??? :sleepy: :D

Isn't there some rule (not that Lisa is intimidated by rules or anything else:eek: about picking on OLD guys, that is FOG's with mid stage dimentia? How did I get involved in this, anyway? What up? :confused: Dennis:D

DefyantExWife
03-23-2006, 08:07 AM
are you an old guy ? Your profile says you're 3.

Hotrauder
03-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Does Charlie know you are looking UP my profile? Sweetheart I am the oldest 3 you have ever seen. I just act 3 most of the time. Dennis:stupid:-- Where ever I go there I am....still stupid.