PDA

View Full Version : Computor question (virus?)

Leadfoot281
03-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Yesterday, all the icons on my computor decided to change! Some look like dice, or cards, and others, like my recycle bin, have swapped Icons with other desktop stuff.

What's worse is that I can't open the "display" box on my control panel.

I ran my "Webroot" spyware program, defragged things and still it's messed up. Things still seem to work, but I do all lot of shopping online and I don't need to get my identity or money stolen.

Any ideas? Thanks!

DEFYANT
03-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Try system restore

I had a similar problem. Everything got real big. I mean huge. My settings were FUBAR after a game I have did not return to windows properly.

Sound familiar?

I managed to do a system restore and everything is fine.

Leadfoot281
03-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks Defyant, but it can't find a restore date. Also, I just checked with Web Root(anti virus) and my subscription is out of date. I'm not re-upping that junk.... it didn't help originally.

I've never been plagued by pop-ups before, but lately I have been. In my "add/remove programs" file there are about 4 extra programs that can't be deleted and I've been blessed with a different home page everytime I log onto the 'net for about a year.:mad:

My computor is as buggy as a low rent wh*re house. It may be time for a new computor. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I thought it would fix things.

Any ideas? Opinions? Thanks again!

DEFYANT
03-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Let this thread sit awhile. It's o'dark30 right now and all the computer smartys are sleepin ;)

Where on the net do you go? I do not venture off "known" or "official" sites often now. Basically - "surf smart" seems to be working.

I had a computer full of spyware and whatever else that made it run like crap. I ended up replacing it with this Dell I use now. Somewhere I read that my ole computer (and yours now) can be saved.

Webroot and Norton Anti-Virus updated routinely has not let me down - yet.

JamesHecker
03-20-2006, 12:32 AM
You may end up having to reformat your hard drive. Similar thing happened to my laptop. That's how mine was fixed.

Marauderjack
03-20-2006, 04:44 AM
Run this program.....It cleared mine up FAST!!:beer:

I have a Compaq 8000 and the Compaq tech recommended running this about once a week??:cool:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23258,00.asp

Juat download and open it.....double click icon and you will see a list of spyware to get rid of....Should fix you right up!!

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

grampaws
03-20-2006, 04:51 AM
The restore dates should be bold numbers??
Boot up and hit f8 just before windoze start screen
and go into safe mode..restore usully works better from here..
and try the add/remove programs..the Progs won't have started
and the files not locked out...It's just a website forcing ads onto
your computer...
Goto www.download.com (http://www.download.com) and download adaware SE
Then www.grisoft.com (http://www.grisoft.com) download AVG 7.0 free edition not the trial..
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
free virus scan with updates..
go into your security settings in the control panel turn on the popup blocker
and firewall!!
All programs--accessories--system tools--security center

usafsniper
03-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Thanks Defyant, but it can't find a restore date. Also, I just checked with Web Root(anti virus) and my subscription is out of date. I'm not re-upping that junk.... it didn't help originally.

I've never been plagued by pop-ups before, but lately I have been. In my "add/remove programs" file there are about 4 extra programs that can't be deleted and I've been blessed with a different home page everytime I log onto the 'net for about a year.:mad:

My computor is as buggy as a low rent wh*re house. It may be time for a new computor. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I thought it would fix things.

Any ideas? Opinions? Thanks again!

Get AVG antivirus...it's free...and it works! Sounds like you may have had a trojan overwrite your settings, or it may be a simple as a game like suggested. AdAware is another good spyware/junk remover. Between these two programs, I never have any issues, and have them both set to run automatically every day. AdAware has some useful plugins as well. Look on the site for the VX2 add-on for those types of variants that can in-bed into your system files and be difficult to remove. If you can't get a system restore to fix...again as suggested...try safe mode to get back to normal. Then INSTALL AND RUN THESE TWO PROGRAMS! You won't be disappointed.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1
http://lavasoft.element5.com/support/download/#free

fastblackmerc
03-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Get AVG antivirus...it's free...and it works! Sounds like you may have had a trojan overwrite your settings, or it may be a simple as a game like suggested. AdAware is another good spyware/junk remover. Between these two programs, I never have any issues, and have them both set to run automatically every day. AdAware has some useful plugins as well. Look on the site for the VX2 add-on for those types of variants that can in-bed into your system files and be difficult to remove. If you can't get a system restore to fix...again as suggested...try safe mode to get back to normal. Then INSTALL AND RUN THESE TWO PROGRAMS! You won't be disappointed.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1
http://lavasoft.element5.com/support/download/#free
What he ^^^^^^^^^ said. You can also go to Microsoft's web site and get their spyware program.

KillJoy
03-20-2006, 07:17 AM
I would also recommend the following programs:

Ad-Aware SE
Spy-Bot Search & Destroy
Webroot Spyware Scanner
Microsoft Anti-Spyware

Also, I would recommend taking your hard drive and putting it in another computer that has up-to-date anti-virus software. Sometime running these programs after the computer has been infected is about as usful as a Pork Chop on a Friday during Lent.

Just my thoughts...

KillJoy

mpearce
03-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks Defyant, but it can't find a restore date.

Yep, same thing happened to me. The spyware won't let you do anything. It deletes your system restore, it won't let you add or remove programs. If you try to remove them, you actually install them. It's a mess. It's like 400 people are using your computer at the same time. It's rediculous. Also, don't lick on the "stay current with autmoatic updates" bubble. Thats what "F'ed" me last time. Clicking on that gave my system a spyware enema. Since you're already a mess...don't add more programs...just remove windows, and re-install it. That should work for a while. I'd suggest getting anti spyware stuff before you start surfing again.

-Mat

ckadiddle
03-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Another free year subscription antivirus:
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
You just need a valid email address to register, then it's a free download. I use it on two computers at home, and also run Microsoft's anti-spyware free product. Sometimes things get so fungled up so badly that you have to reformat your hard drive and reload everything. I went through that not too long ago.

DEFYANT
03-20-2006, 08:27 AM
How do you "reformat the hard drive"?

Marauderjack
03-20-2006, 08:37 AM
A "Destructive Restore" will usually clear things up if your hard drive is in good shape!! I just did one 4 weeks ago and all has worked well but I do a lot of anti-spyware scans.

Some computer guys recomment a restore every 6 months or at least every year....IT AIN'T FUN AND YOU LOSE STUFF YOU DON'T THINK TO SAVE!!:argue:

I have a second hard drive that stores all of my data so I retain almost everything but you still have to reinstall programs and spend time getting updates!!:mad2:

My restore took me back to October 2002 and per Compaq's instructions I have not updated anything from Microsoft unless it is through the Compaq (HP) website and this thing is FAST!!:bows: Almost as fast as my Marauder!!:D :burnout:

Sometime I think they plant "Boogers" in downloads so you will have to eventually buy a new machine.....time will tell??:eek:

Marauderjack:pimp:

Marauderjack
03-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Defyant....

What system are you running...XP?? If so it is pretty easy to pick an old restore point before the trouble!!

Most machines come with a complete set of Restore disks...and will return your machine to the "Build Date" configuration....Destructive Restore!!

Marauderjack:censor:

fastblackmerc
03-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Reformatting your HDD will wipe everything off of it, neccessating a complete reload of you system. You need to make sure you have the following before you reformat:

The origianl CD's / diskettes that came with your system - operating system, programs you may have added, etc.

Backup of all the data you want to keep - data that can not be re-created.

Any CD's that contain device drivers for hardware you might have added to the system.

Passwords and activation codes for any software you will be re-installing, including the operating system software.

Once you have the above stuff you can proceeded to reformat your HDD. If you are using Winodws booting from the Windows CD will allow you to delete the original partition and recreate and format another partition.

If you need more help let me know.

Leadfoot281
03-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Where on the net do you go? I do not venture off "known" or "official" sites often now. Basically - "surf smart" seems to be working.

If I went the same places my computor goes, It'd be me with the virus, and not the computor!:D

Since the Webroot stuff didn't work, I may try running my system recovery discs.

Question 1. What about my Sims? I play Sim City 4 and have 2.1 million "sims" in various citys that are counting on my leadership. Can I save this stuff to a CD and then re-install the game to pick up where I left off?

Question 2. I have loads of digital pictures and videos. Can those be saved the same way?

Question 3. I'm a member at several Aquarium sites and here. Just log back in when I'm done?

Sorry about all the dumb questions, and thanks for all the help!

usafsniper
03-20-2006, 11:47 PM
If I went the same places my computor goes, It'd be me with the virus, and not the computor!:D

Since the Webroot stuff didn't work, I may try running my system recovery discs.

It's very likely if you put in your Windows CD, you can repair corrupted files off of it using that option when it comes up...just boot your computer with the CD in the drive. If it won't boot, go into settings at startup and make sure the boot sequence starts with the CD drive, not the hard drive. If not, there's always the local computer shop as well (if you have one) who can probably isolate and remove the troublesome program. Another program I use religiously is System Suite.
http://www.v-com.com/product/SystemSuite_Home.html
It's not free, but very handy. It has an "all-in-one" tool that basically cleans, fixes, defrags, anti-spy, anti-virus at the same time and then some. I do this once a month, and it's about 5 times faster than the windows versions of the same. I don't have the anti-virus active, but use it as a "secondary" with the AVG which I keep running always. It will find and fix registry errors, create save points, and has a good built in fire wall which I use on my three networked systems back home. Before you go the reformat option, try the above, or you can erase it if you don't care about your data.

fastblackmerc
03-21-2006, 07:40 AM

Question 1. What about my Sims? I play Sim City 4 and have 2.1 million "sims" in various citys that are counting on my leadership. Can I save this stuff to a CD and then re-install the game to pick up where I left off?

Question 2. I have loads of digital pictures and videos. Can those be saved the same way?

Question 3. I'm a member at several Aquarium sites and here. Just log back in when I'm done?

Sorry about all the dumb questions, and thanks for all the help!

Answer 1. If you know what file(s) your saved games are stored in you can save them to a diskette or CD or USB key.

Answer 2. Same with the videos & pics.

Answer 3. The sites you log on to most likely uses cookies to save your data (ID's, passwords, last time visited, etc). You can either save the cookies or just log on to the sites again, but you'll have to renter ID's & passwords.

jawz101
03-21-2006, 07:49 AM
whoa pardner, don't break out cd's or dl a bunch of cleaners just yet. It doesn't sound like malware is on ur pc

did you try Win XP's built in System Restore 1st?
Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore ?

or
or use TweakUI from MS:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
last option in menu to rebuild icons

reinstall display drivers
Start | Run | type 'compmgmt.msc'
delete display driver & right click to scan for hw changes & have it reinstall

or try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q132668/

Breadfan
03-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Can you re-describe the symptoms? You said you're icons are changed? Are they changed to different pics or do they appear scrambled?

Can you post a screenshot? Go to your desktop, and hit "Prnt Scrn" on the keyboard. Go into an imaging program, and paste. (Or word, or paint even). Save the image, and if you want, post it here or PM me to email it to me.

I'd like to see what you have going on.

If it is malware I'd recommend a program called Ewido, you can get a free trial version here: http://www.ewido.net/en/ I've found it to be more powerful than Ad-Aware or Spybog S&D. I've used it on a number of folks systems with good results.

Beyond that, there is a program called HijackThis and StartUp you can get from this guys site: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

Those programs take a bit more knowledge and can be destructive if you don't know what you're doing as they directly edit the registry and startup files. But, for someone who knows what they're doing, it's quite convienent and puts all this in one single interface.

But, it could be non-malware related. If it's scrambled icons it sounds like a system issue. I've seen Active Desktop do this, and video drivers. Reinstall video drivers (get latest version from manufacturer). On XP Active Desktop isn't easily disabled, you may try switching desktop themes to see if a refresh of that nature clears it up.

Could be a few other things, so a screenshot showing us the problem would be extremely helpful.

Also, XP has a single license terminal services connection, so you *could* setup a remote login so someone could check it out that way.

BTW I rarely come across a system that needs a full format and restore. If you know the internals of Windows enough you can repair just about any problem. And spyware is almost always removable. It all depends on how much time you want to take - I'll reformat at times because it's simply easier to do...but don't bust those recover CD's out too quickly.

I do recommend you get an external harddrive. Use it to backup your data. You'll be pretty upset when all your pics and game saves dissapear when your harddrive seriously bites the dust. Not saying it will happen, but if it does, you'll not regret the $100 you spent on a backup...

Leadfoot281
03-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Here's the situation; The print screen button doesn't do anything. My digital camera is dead so I'm charging the batteries so I can post a pic of my desktop. I should have a pic to post tonight.

My recycle bin isn't a garbage can icon anymore, now it's a picture of a spider. Other icons include dice, cards. None of them can be changed.

I'm running Windows ME on a 6 year old HP pavilion, and I still use dial-up.

There isn't anything on my computor that's worth saving except my pictures and my progress on a couple games.

I use the computor for looking up info (planted aquariums, news, car info) and shopping. I play chess online when time permits. I do a lot of surfing looking things up, and I hit a lot of links in lots of forums and not all are good.

ckadiddle
03-21-2006, 01:31 PM
[quote=Leadfoot281]

My recycle bin isn't a garbage can icon anymore, now it's a picture of a spider. Other icons include dice, cards. None of them can be changed.

quote]

The "dice and cards" icons are what makes me suspect malware/spyware on his system. Sounds like someone is trying to entice him to visit a gambling site. As a general rule, the farther you stray from the beaten path, the more likely you are to get beaten. Also beware of the word "FREE" on the internet. Free IPod, free dcd players etc are all jsut a come-on to get your personal information and load crap on your computer. Stay away from free icons, smileyfaces and the like. Usually the cost of "free" stuff is your personal information, websurf habits and/or bandwidth eaten up or transmitted back to the mothership.
(end rant now)

Our PC techs love the fact that we finally switched from reporting of unrestricted web surf habits to blocking of inappropriate web sites. It keeps them from having to constantly clean or re-image PCs.