PDA

View Full Version : Had a 2006 Charger for the day.

MarauderMarc
03-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Had to take the MM in for some warranty work today. My drivers side front hub bearing was going out. Thank God I had ESP and it only cost 50$ to fix. Since it was going to take a while, we got a rental. They originally were going to put me into a Neon or a Malibu...WTF??? I told them my car was as much as a Town Car new and this is all I get? Well I paid an extra 12$ for an upgrade and got a 2006 Charger. It was a 2.7 V6, but it was nice. Very roomy inside, rode smooth, had decent power, and was an all around nice car. Wouldnt be a bad car for the wife. We drove down to Miami and hung out in South Beach. I cabt really say anything bad about the car except that I hate the rear end styling. The front and side was nice, but the rear looks too generic. Other than that a sweet ride.

It was nice to get the MM back. wasnt used to all the power. Had them do an alignment with Carfixers alignment specs. Car drives like a dream.

Tallboy
03-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Well I paid an extra 12$ for an upgrade and got a 2006 Charger. It was a 2.7 V6...

I thought they only had 3.5s in them. Marauder307 educated me.

marauder307
03-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Sorry Tallboy,...but the early fleet-vehicle versions of the Charger had a 2.7 in 'em. Had one in the one I rented from Thrifty right after I moved out here, while I was waiting on my car to make the ocean trip.

You won't find many of 'em...Thrifty's already phasing them out in favor of the 3.5 units which are more plentiful and generally easier to get parts for in the Charger application. But they ARE out there.

Besides...I bet our man above looked under the hood before posting that, anyway...

Tallboy
03-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Sorry Tallboy,...but the early fleet-vehicle versions of the Charger had a 2.7 in 'em. Had one in the one I rented from Thrifty right after I moved out here, while I was waiting on my car to make the ocean trip.

You won't find many of 'em...Thrifty's already phasing them out in favor of the 3.5 units which are more plentiful and generally easier to get parts for in the Charger application. But they ARE out there.

Besides...I bet our man above looked under the hood before posting that, anyway...

Thanks for the correction! Just goes to show you salesmen don't always know what they're talking about. My buddy at Dodge said they weren't available with the 2.7...

Smokie
03-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the correction! Just goes to show you salesmen don't always know what they're talking about. My buddy at Dodge said they weren't available with the 2.7...

If he had added..."to the general public" he would have been correct. The 2.7 is what we call in the home appliance business "the builders model" aka for CHEAPEST version of a product.

Tallboy
03-27-2006, 07:34 PM
If he had added..."to the general public" he would have been correct. The 2.7 is what we call in the home appliance business "the builders model" aka for CHEAPEST version of a product.

It's my fault for listening to a salesman in the first place.:rolleyes:

I know better. :lol:

BUICKMAN
03-27-2006, 09:14 PM
I Rented One In Tampa Last Week. It Was A 2.7 From Thrifty. It Was A Nice Car But My Only Complaints Were The Seats Were Too Low, And The Driver Side Mirror Obstructed My Vision When Looking To The Left. Other Than That It Was A Nice Running Car, For A Rental.

RoyLPita
03-28-2006, 04:56 AM
It's my fault for listening to a salesman in the first place.:rolleyes:

I know better. :lol:

We have a Charger that is going to Enterprise. It has a $700 fleet credit package that gets rid of the stability control group and another $1000 off MSRP for the 2.7 engine.

MarauderMarc
03-28-2006, 07:44 AM

Hell yeah I looked under the hood. Thats a must for whatever car I am driving. I was surprised on how small the engine was, but I used to have a 2002 Millenia with a 2.5 V6 and it was decent in the power band, so I didnt mind.

Brian, the Charger you were talking about, is that the one I drove? Or are they putting another Charger on?

Ross
03-28-2006, 11:08 AM
I recently sat in (didn't have a chance to drive) a new Charger RT with the works. I have to say, if I was buying a new car today, it would probably be my choice.

RoyLPita
03-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Brian, the Charger you were talking about, is that the one I drove? Or are they putting another Charger on?

It is probably like the one that you rented except it was new, has transportation damage to the rear of it, and has been sitting in the shop since it came in.

marauder307
03-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I recently sat in (didn't have a chance to drive) a new Charger RT with the works. I have to say, if I was buying a new car today, it would probably be my choice.

I've test driven R/Ts, the Daytona R/T, and a R/T with the Road/Track package. The R/T-R/T is the best combination of the bunch---you get all the
turn-fast/go-fast goodies of the Daytona without the High-Impact paint color/graphics. The go-fast goodies include a factory cat-back system that
gives another 10 hp, for a total of 350.

You can tell a R/T-R/T by the blacked-out wheel pockets on the rims...

Marauder2005
03-28-2006, 03:30 PM
The Charger SRT/8 is one sweet deal, 6.1L 425HP with true

sport bucket seats.....I admit, I would trade the Marauder in

without question for a black one. I think thats the only color they

come in :D

chuckled
04-10-2006, 09:52 AM
All Dodge cars are now "foreign". Would not want one without the Hemi and that adds about 10 grand to cost. Too much money to send out of the country.

Ross
04-10-2006, 09:58 AM
All Dodge cars are now "foreign". Would not want one without the Hemi and that adds about 10 grand to cost. Too much money to send out of the country.

That brings up a question: Where are Chryslers built and assembled? I know about the Daimler Benz relationship, but where are the engines, trannies, etc. built, and where are the assembly plants?

marauder307
04-10-2006, 11:41 AM
That brings up a question: Where are Chryslers built and assembled? I know about the Daimler Benz relationship, but where are the engines, trannies, etc. built, and where are the assembly plants?

Brampton, Ontario.

RF Overlord
04-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Ross, as marauder307 stated, the assembly plant is in Brampton.

The 3.5L is built at Trenton (MI) Engine, while the 2.7L and the 3.5L high output engines are built in Kenosha WI. The 5.7L ersatz Hemi is built at Saltillo Engine in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico...I don't know where the 6.1L is built.

Dan
04-10-2006, 02:17 PM
From an investment point of view, sending money out of the country can be very smart, indeed. From a consumer purchase point of view keeping it here is the way to go.