PDA

View Full Version : Where to find older vehicles for my next project?

Warpath
03-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I posted a while back about ideas for my next project car. My main focus (at the moment) is a ~69 Lincoln Mark III. I'm leaving my options open in case I stumble across something else. Where are good places to look for somewhat decent to good shape project cars? I'm not looking for concorse vehicles since my budget is small and since I'm customizing it. I'm also not looking for a pile of rust. I've starting looking online and at the newstands. But, most everything is quite a ways away. I know some of you buy the older vehicles. So, I'm hoping you can help.

Thanks.

jgc61sr2002
03-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Hemmings Motor News and Old Cars Weekly are two that I know of.

jimlam56
03-30-2006, 04:37 AM
E-Bay has worked for me in past car projects.

Rider90
03-30-2006, 06:17 AM
http://ww2.collectorcartraderonline.c om/

sabtaj1
03-30-2006, 06:52 AM
the best way I have found is just driving around in the country. I was driving one day and found a 1964 lincoln continental with suicide doors and 64,000 miles. the car was in excellent shape. I went to the door and asked if they would sell it. They told me they would take $500 for it. I was sold. went and bought a new battery and drove it home. Ill post a pic of it

JMan
03-30-2006, 07:10 AM
Try this -

http://www.lincolnlandinc.com/

J

Warpath
03-30-2006, 10:10 AM
the best way I have found is just driving around in the country. I was driving one day and found a 1964 lincoln continental with suicide doors and 64,000 miles. the car was in excellent shape. I went to the door and asked if they would sell it. They told me they would take $500 for it. I was sold. went and bought a new battery and drove it home. Ill post a pic of it

You suck! I would like to get a 66 or 67 Continental. I wish I had the time and money to drive around the country.

Thanks for the links. I've tried ebay. But, I'm really hesitant to buy anything without seeing it first hand. Travelling around the country and shipping charges will quickly eat away at my budget.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Tallboy
03-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Should you find something within an hour of Tampa, and you'd like someone to put an "educated" set of eyes on it, drop me a line.

I'm happy to help if I can.

Lone_Star
03-30-2006, 10:19 AM
check out carsonline.com, they have a section of project cars, and also lincoln, ford, chevy, whatever. Good luck.

King Fubar
03-30-2006, 10:19 AM
These guys have some alright looking stuff.

http://www.countryclassiccars.com/

cyclone03
03-30-2006, 10:20 AM

Wow I did the same thing!
But I found a 70 Mustang Mach 1 428scj,Drag Pack,Shaker,Blue with White interior and A/C(?) $2500 but my dad wouldn't loan me the money!

(True story BTW,happened in March 1982.Why no loan from dad?I was going in the Air Force in April!)

jimlam56
03-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Try this -

http://www.lincolnlandinc.com/

J
Jake, do you know Chris Dunn, the owner?
Went to school with his older brother. Chris's twin brother Jim used to own the Vinyl Museum across from CHS.

Rider90
03-30-2006, 10:36 AM

I've been there a handful of times over the years, they have some O.K. looking cars, but 99% are kept outside above gravel. There isn't usually much left of the frame or floorboards.

fairlane347
03-30-2006, 11:11 AM
I am into old Fords and Mercurys and we have a few things for sale! if you are interested in something e-mail me at rschmuki@strattec.com its my work so I see it more. I am in SE WI so not to far, and I have pictures. I have two non running solid projects or some completely done cars, trucks too! Let me know or I can try to pm you later.:D

sabtaj1
03-30-2006, 12:01 PM
check out this site for some cool pics. click on the 64 and look at the white one on the bottom left. www.suicidelincolns.com (http://www.suicidelincolns.com)

the_pack_rat
03-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Went to school with his older brother. Chris's twin brother Jim used to own the Vinyl Museum across from CHS.
I've met Chris.

Helped me find a buyer for the 1992 LSC I used to own.

Bought it in 1997 with 448 original miles ...... sold it last year with only @ 8700 miles on it.

He gave me the grand tour of his whole operation(both locations) - very impressive.

I was even invited along with him & a potential buyer, on the test drive of a 79 Town Car he had in the showroom.

I hadn't been in one of those land yachts since a child back in the 70's.

Hell of a nice guy.

Warpath
03-30-2006, 07:45 PM
I've been there a handful of times over the years, they have some O.K. looking cars, but 99% are kept outside above gravel. There isn't usually much left of the frame or floorboards.

Good to know. They have a couple of Mark III's and some other interesting cars. Its a ~8 hour drive for me and I'd hate to get there and find nothing good. Thanks.

Warpath
03-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Should you find something within an hour of Tampa, and you'd like someone to put an "educated" set of eyes on it, drop me a line.

I'm happy to help if I can.

Cool! Thanks!!!!! I'll keep you in mind.

Warpath
03-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I am into old Fords and Mercurys and we have a few things for sale! if you are interested in something e-mail me at rschmuki@strattec.com its my work so I see it more. I am in SE WI so not to far, and I have pictures. I have two non running solid projects or some completely done cars, trucks too! Let me know or I can try to pm you later.:D

email sent.

JMan
03-30-2006, 07:53 PM

Jim,
I went to school with their little sister. Great parties at the Dunn house!

J

marauder307
03-30-2006, 09:35 PM

I've seen this place too; stopped there a couple of times last summer. Bought some old Marauder magazine ads at the antique shop co-located
on the premises.

The good stuff's in the barns; everything else is just like Rider90 says...outside, in the elements, and really, reallllly cruddy looking. If you find something in the outside lot, it's not likely to be in too good a shape.
Still,...there was some interesting stuff there. Saw an old Pontiac Star Chief (I think?) 2-door station wagon, looked to be about a '58 model. Of course, the floorboards were gone...

Tallboy, what about P.J's Autoworld or Golden Classics, just over in Clearwater from you? Seen or heard anything good lately in that area?