PDA

View Full Version : Beach Boys Vs. Jan and Dean

Motorhead350
03-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Ok does anyone know who started the car songs so to say. I know Jan and Dean were around first, but I got a cd of theirs and they covered a few songs that I thought were Beach Boy songs. Like I get around and The Little old lady. Does anyone know much about these two? Espcially who the original artist was of I Get Around.

Bluerauder
03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Espcially who the original artist was of I Get Around.
From the "All Summer Long" album by the Beach Boys .... Brian Wilson

1. "I Get Around"
(Stereo)
Time: 2:12 Irving Music, Inc. BMI
Master #50441 Recorded 4/2/64
Single Released 5/11/64 (Capitol 5174)
Charted 5/23/64 Reached #1
A side with "Don't Worry Baby"
Brian Wilson

Round round get around
I get around
Yeah
Get around round round I get around
I get around
My kind o' town
I'm a real cool head
I'm makin' real good bread

I'm gettin' bugged driving up and down this same old strip
I gotta finda new place where the kids are hip

My buddies and me are getting real well known
Yeah, the bad guys know us and they leave us alone

I get around
My kind o' town
I'm a real cool head
I get around
Round
Get around round round oooo
Wah wa ooo
Wah wa ooo
Wah wa ooo

We always take my car cause it's never been beat
And we've never missed yet with the girls we meet

None of the guys go steady cause it wouldn't be right
To leave their best girl home now on Saturday night

I get around
My kind o' town
I'm a real cool head
I get around
Round
Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah

Round round get around
I get around
Yeah
Wah wa ooo
Oooo ooo ooo
Ahh ooo ooo
Ahh ooo ooo
Ahh ooo ooo

Motorhead350
03-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Oh thank you I'm glad we got that cleared up. What about some of the others and which do you guys prefer? I

fastblackmerc
03-30-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm a big Beach Boys and Jan & Dean fan... like all their songs...

bryanthomas
03-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Man I love oldies rock! Many people regard Jackie Brentston as having the first ever recorded rock 'n' roll song(which also happened to be about his car), "Rocket 88." Others came soon followed like Charlie Ryan's "Hot Rod Lincoln" and of course my all time favorite musician Chuck Berry with his countless classic car songs. As for the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean, I believe the Beach Boys were on the scene first, but I could be wrong.

I for one think it is awesome that rock 'n' rolls roots are so closely tied to hot rods. :D

Tallboy
03-30-2006, 02:24 PM
The Playmates were way before either. Check this out...

Hit the top 40 on the Billboard charts June 9, 1958, made number 4, and was in the top 40 for 12 weeks. Concerns a race between a Cadillac and a "little Nash Rambler". The song refers to the 1st american sub-compact - Nash Metropolitan

<chorus>
Beep beep <sound of horn - beep beep!> Beep beep <beep beep>
His horn went beep beep beep <beep beep>
While riding in my Cadillac What to my surprise A little Nash Rambler was following me
About one-third my size The guy must have wanted to pass me out
As he kept on tooting his horn <beep beep>
I'll show him that a Cadillac Is not a car to scorn
<chorus>
I pushed my foot down to the floor To give the guy the shake
But the little Nash Rambler stayed right behind
He still had on his brake He must have thought his car had more guts
As he kept on tooting his horn <beep beep>
<chorus>
My car went in to passing gear And we took off with gust And soon we were doing ninety
Must have left him in the dust When I peeked in the mirror of my car
I couldn't believe my eyes The little Nash Rambler was right behind
You'd think that guy could fly
<chorus>
Now we're doing a hundred and ten It certainly was a race
For a Rambler to pass a Caddy Would be a big disgrace
The guy must have wanted to pass me out As he kept on tooting his horn
<chorus>
Now we're doing a hundred and twenty As fast as I could go
The Rambler pulled alongside of me As if we were going slow
The fellow rolled his window down And yelled for me to hear
"Hey buddy how can I get this car
out... of... second gear!"

Motorhead350
03-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Oh yea I remember that song. I still blast it every now and then and people look at me funny because I'm not blasting top 40 garbage. Hot Rod Lincoln was originally done in 1951 by someone else and the song was called Hot Rod Race. Johnny Bond just said Hot Rod Lincoln and it was redone in the 1970's and the 70's version is probably the best known one. Theres a lotta rockabilly about cars too.

Bluerauder
03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
The song refers to the 1st american sub-compact - Nash Metropolitan.
When I was a kid of 8 or 9, a lady up the street from me had a Nash Metropolitan -- red and white as I recall. I don't think it could reach 100 mph going downhill in a hurricane. It was her commuting car. Their family car was a '58 Pontiac Bonneville Sport Coupe.

The only place that I have seen a Nash Metropolitan lately has been as a static floor display in Banana Republic. :D

ckadiddle
03-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Commander Cody And His Lost Planet Airmen did the 70s version of Hot Rod Lincoln, that's the version I am familiar with. I love that song.
http://users.cis.net/sammy/hotrod_l.htm (midi and lyrics)

Dragcity
03-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Let's see:

Surfin' USA was Chuck Berry

Little Deuce Coupe claimed by both Jan & Dean and The Beach Brats, I mean Boys

Dead Man's Curve and DRAGCITY were most certainly Jan & Dean.

I don't think they gave proper credit to the original artist back then.

We have to ahve a Professor of music somewhere on this site.

Motorhead350 - You are too much. By the way, I really liked the songs.

bryanthomas
03-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Let's see:

Surfin' USA was Chuck Berry

Yeah, the Beach Boys were actually sued for ripping "Sweet Little Sixteen" and turning it into Surfin' USA.

dwasson
03-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Hank Williams

Motorhead350
03-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks DragCity glad you liked them.

Merc-O-matic
03-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Blue Coral wax job sure looks pretty....gunna
.....get my chick and make it out to drag city!

Gotta Love It!:bandit:

CBT
03-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Chuck Norris invented the surfboard.

jerrym3
03-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Before there was Jan and Dean, there was Jan and Arnie. I think they sang a classic 50s song called "Jennie Lee". There was another song called "Baby Talk", but I don't know if that song was done by Jan and Dean or Jan and Arnie.

Different subject, I used to play Little League baseball in North Jersey back in the 50s with a kid who played the drums. (He was our team's pitcher.) We could hear him practicing as we'd walk past his house.

Well, he grew up, joined a rock group, played local NJ clubs, and they became a pretty popular group in the 60s.

His name was/is Dino Dinelli of The (Young) Rascals.

Motorhead350
03-31-2006, 10:16 AM
I love Baby Talk and was mentioning that to DragCity earlier. It wasn't Jan and Deans song, it was someone elses and I think you mentioned the name. Thats an oldie, but goodie. Who knows that song? "Oldies, but goodies?" by someone and the Romans. I never get sick of that or Earth Angle, or Angle Baby.... I could keep going on. Cars and Music go so well together.

Bluerauder
03-31-2006, 11:04 AM
I never get sick of that or Earth Angle, or Angle Baby.....
Both on the Geometry label, too !! ;) By Trigonometry and the Cosines, right?? :rofl:

jerrym3
03-31-2006, 12:49 PM
I think it was sung by Caesar and The Romans.

Unfortunately, fact of life, the doo-wop sound is dying out as the doo-woppers get older and their (our) numbers dwindle. (Kind of like the lack of interest in real old cars, while the 60s cars are hot as firecrackers.)

There's only one FM station back here in the NY/NJ area that plays the real classics, and that's only a four hour Sunday night show. A weak NJ station AM 1250 plays oldies all day.

103.9 FM, disc jockey is "Johnnie Z", 7-11 Sunday nights (free plug).

The big NY oldies station, CBS 101.1 FM, dropped the oldies tunes a while ago and went to the "Jack radio" format. I especially enjoyed when they picked a date/year and played the top 20 from that date. You got to hear a lot of tunes that didn't become classics, but were still good to listen to.

I heard they aren't doing too well. Listeners are down. Too bad.

Ross
03-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Blue Coral wax job sure looks pretty....gunna
.....get my chick and make it out to drag city!

Gotta Love It!:bandit:

Oh boy! Another wax thread! :lol: :lol:

jerrym3
03-31-2006, 01:28 PM
To be more precise: Little Caeser and the Romans

fastblackmerc
03-31-2006, 01:52 PM
I think it was sung by Caesar and The Romans.

Unfortunately, fact of life, the doo-wop sound is dying out as the doo-woppers get older and their (our) numbers dwindle. (Kind of like the lack of interest in real old cars, while the 60s cars are hot as firecrackers.)

There's only one FM station back here in the NY/NJ area that plays the real classics, and that's only a four hour Sunday night show. A weak NJ station AM 1250 plays oldies all day.

103.9 FM, disc jockey is "Johnnie Z", 7-11 Sunday nights (free plug).

The big NY oldies station, CBS 101.1 FM, dropped the oldies tunes a while ago and went to the "Jack radio" format. I especially enjoyed when they picked a date/year and played the top 20 from that date. You got to hear a lot of tunes that didn't become classics, but were still good to listen to.

I heard they aren't doing too well. Listeners are down. Too bad.

IMHO, Doo Wop is the only good music out there. We lost the oldies (100.7) station in the Raleigh area last year. That's why my OmniFi has all my oldies CD's on it. Doo Wop will never die.......

Bluerauder
03-31-2006, 02:13 PM
IMHO, Doo Wop is the only good music out there..... Doo Wop will never die.......
Some consider a 1956 hit by The Five Satins, "In the Still of the Night," to be the quintessential doo-wop record. :D

In the Still of the Night (I'll Remember)

written by Fred Parris
originally recorded by The Five Satins (appears on "Golden Age of American Rock and Roll", vol. 2 )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Shoo-doo, shooby-do)
(Shoo-doo, shooby-do)
(Shoo-doo, shooby-do)
(Shoo-doo, shooby Whoa )

[Opening repeats in background of verses]

In the still of the night
I-I held you, held you tight
'Cause I love, love you so
Promise I'll never let you go
In the still of the night (in the still of the night)

I remember (I remember) that night in May (I remember)
The stars (I remember) were bright a-a-bo-o-o-ove (I remember)
I'll hope (I remember) and I'll pray (I remember)
To keep .. your prec..ious lo-o-o-o-o-ove

Well before the li-ight
Hold me again
With all of your might

[instrumental interlude combined with "doo-wop, doo-bah's"]

So before the li-ight
Hold me again
With all of your might

In the still of the night

[additional "shoo-doo, shooby-doo's" to end]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragcity
03-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Woah, We've all just been Serenaded by Bluerauder.

SergntMac
03-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Ben and Jerry's is still my favorite...

Motorhead350
03-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I love Doo Wop and have most of my life. I just didn't know what it was called till about 3 years ago and I didn't know rockabilly had a term either until 6 months ago. I always thought rockabilly was real rock n' roll. Yea just about anything is good between 1954-1963 as far as the music goes. It's all I really listen to and no I'm not too young to apperciate this music. Thats what I was told before I got the Marauder. "Aren't you too young for this car?" I was 16 at the time and 1 month shy of 17. You guys should get Sirius radio if you really want a good old rock n' roll station. I think on sundays they play Doo Wop from 8-12 at night or something and you can finally hear songs like Rama Lama Ding Dong and Who Put The Bop again. I know I sound like a commercial, but I don't care. Just wanna let you guys know rock n' roll radio is still out there....... for $6 a month. :cool:

bryanthomas
03-31-2006, 06:30 PM
I love Doo Wop and have most of my life. I just didn't know what it was called till about 3 years ago and I didn't know rockabilly had a term either until 6 months ago. I always thought rockabilly was real rock n' roll. Yea just about anything is good between 1954-1963 as far as the music goes. It's all I really listen to and no I'm not too young to apperciate this music. Thats what I was told before I got the Marauder. "Aren't you too young for this car?" I was 16 at the time and 1 month shy of 17. You guys should get Sirius radio if you really want a good old rock n' roll station. I think on sundays they play Doo Wop from 8-12 at night or something and you can finally hear songs like Rama Lama Ding Dong and Who Put The Bop again. I know I sound like a commercial, but I don't care. Just wanna let you guys know rock n' roll radio is still out there....... for $6 a month. :cool:

You sound a lot like me. I'm only 22 and I listen to all kinds of music by all my favorite stuff is oldies. Chuck Berry is my all time favorite artist. I could listen to him any time. I have over a thousand songs on my iPod and atleast 1/3 of them date back from the late forties to the early sixties. It's funny because I'll hang with my friend who all listen to music made in the last twenty years, then we'll hop in my car and my disc changer is full of oldies and they always say, "Oh man I love this song!" There are lots of people out there that appreciate oldies, but they never think to purchase any of it.

BUCKWHEAT
03-31-2006, 06:52 PM
by ronnie & the deltones i think..."three dueces & a four speed & I'm ready to go"

Today "a trilogy super & I'm already gone"

Motorhead350
03-31-2006, 11:03 PM
It's nice to know I'm not the only Marauder driver in their 20's who likes good music! :cool:

RoyLPita
04-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Anyone here knows who sang this tune? The chorus goes like this:

"Oh where, oh where can my baby be? The lord took her away from me."

Thanx in advance.

Bluerauder
04-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Anyone here knows who sang this tune? The chorus goes like this:

"Oh where, oh where can my baby be? The lord took her away from me."

Thanx in advance.
The song is called "Last Kiss". Was written by Wayne Cochran in 1962. The best known version was performed by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers. Went to #2 on the Top 40 in 1964. Has been remade a couple times since then including by Pearl Jam in 1999.

Last Kiss

Oh where, oh where can my baby be,
The Lord took her away from me.
She's gone to heaven so I've got to be good,
So I can see my baby when I leave this world.

We were out on a date, in my daddy's car,
We hadn't driven very far,
There in the road, straight up ahead,
A car was stalled, the engine was dead.

I couldn't stop, so I swerved to the right,
I'll never forget the sound that night.
The screamin' tires, the bustin' glass,
The painful scream that I heard last...

Chorus

When I woke up, the rain was pouring down,
There were people standin' all around.
Something warm going through my eyes,
But somehow I found my baby that night.

I lifted her head, she looked at me and said
"Hold me darlin' just a little while."
I held her close, I kissed her our last kiss,
I found the love that I knew I had missed.

Well now she's gone, even though I hold her tight,
I lost my love, my life that night.

Chorus

Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh...

RoyLPita
04-01-2006, 06:37 AM
And I thought I was quick with replies. Thanx.

BTW, I read somewhere (probably my Jan & Dean collection CDs) that Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys wrote some of the songs.

And "Baby Talk" was sung by Jan & Dean.

SergntMac
04-01-2006, 06:42 AM
The music kingdom is full of classics, ya, like C.W. Mc Calls "Convoy", and that very famous "Disco-Duck".

Great, great music all around us.

CBT
04-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Didn't either Jan or Dean actually HAVE a bad car wreck? I think I read one of them smashed up a 60's Corvette and almost died. Anyone?

RoyLPita
04-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Jan did. Check this out:http://www.jananddean.com/

Bluerauder
04-01-2006, 09:21 AM
The music kingdom is full of classics, ya, like C.W. Mc Calls "Convoy", and that very famous "Disco-Duck".

OK .... from that same Disco/CB era, what was the song that had a line in it about a truck carrying a load of chickens? :dunno: It had lots of funny lines .... including one that goes something like .....

"The sign on the bridge said 15 feet; but the chickens were stacked to 16' 5". As he passed under the opening, he cut that top row of chickens off like a ......" That's all I can remember. :rolleyes:

Bluerauder
04-01-2006, 09:23 AM

1. OK .... from that same Disco/CB era, what was the song that had a line in it about a truck carrying a load of chickens? :dunno: It had lots of funny lines .... including one that goes something like .....

"The sign on the bridge said 15 feet; but the chickens were stacked to 16' 5". As he passed under the opening, he cut that top row of chickens off like a ......" That's all I can remember. :rolleyes:

2. Or does anyone remember an obscure song about a girl who found a frozen snake in the woods and brought him home to warm him up??? (early to mid-1960's). The song was called "The Snake".

Mike Poore
04-02-2006, 08:54 AM
2. Or does anyone remember an obscure song about a girl who found a frozen snake in the woods and brought him home to warm him up??? (early to mid-1960's). The song was called "The Snake".

She said, you've bitten me, and now I'm gonna die> After all the things I did to save you/ The snake replied "Lady you knew what I was, when you took me in".

Willie Nelson/Waylon Jennings may have done it, but I'm thinking it was the The Statler Brothers.

SergntMac
04-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Brook Benton?

Nah...I'm thinking of the Bowevil tune...

Kenny's car
04-02-2006, 09:47 AM
The song "The Snake" was done by several folks, but the one I remember best is Johnny Rivers version, on "Live at The Whiskey-A-Go-Go or one his early 60's albums. He was very popular then, most famous for Secret Agent Man.
I believe most of the 60's car songs came from the surf music movement, and were written by Roger Christian, along with Brian Wilson, and sometime Jan Berry. A woman wrote Hey Little Cobra if I remember right.... Although Roger Christian was part of that too I think.

Somwhere I think John DeLorean had a part in the Production of the song Little GTO by Ronnie and the Daytona's, the car itself was his idea, and he was big into promotion.

Jan and Dean did Popsicle, New Girl in School and Jenny Lee, Little Old Lady from Pasadena and the Cucamonga Sewing Circle and Timing Association, in the late 50's to mid 60's (mostly 63-66) when Jan Berry had an accident in his Sting Ray in '66, a lot like the song Dead Man's Curve described.

Hank Williams did have a "Hot Rod Ford and a $2 bill" in the late 40's. Jackie Bretson and Ike Turner did Rocket 88 in '54...

Have you ever heard the version of the song "Hot Rod Race" where the subject was two US Navy Destroyers racing? That one may go back to WW2. The song ended when a "Lt JG in a hopped-up LST" blew by the both of them...

Kenny's car
04-02-2006, 09:53 AM
The song about the chickens in the truck, was Wolf Creek pass by CW McCall, as mentioned by Sergent Mac. Also a song by the same guy about a CJ5 with 4 wheel drive that is pretty funny. His back up band is Mannheim Steamroller (er...CW McCall's backup band, not Sergent Mac's...)

Joe Walsh
04-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Chuck Norris invented the surfboard.

LOL....

Chuck Norris can't surf because the waves recoil in fear and head back out to sea!

SergntMac
04-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Chuck is about as smart as a surfboard...

Motorhead350
04-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Rocket 88 was done in 1951 I believe thus coining the phrase rock n' roll the same year in Cleveland, Ohio. I don't know how many times that guitar riff was used (the lead) for a ton of rock n' roll songs for the following 13 years or so and God only knows how many times the 12 bar blues was used. That means the same 3 chords over and over again. Some examples are Hound Dog, Rocket 88, Johnny B. Goode. I may have to look that up because I'm pretty sure Rocket 88 was done in 1951. I maybe wrong.

Bluerauder
04-02-2006, 06:28 PM
The song about the chickens in the truck, was Wolf Creek Pass by CW McCall, as mentioned by Sergent Mac....

Thanks ... for helping me remember the name of that one.

The song "The Snake" was done by several folks, but the one I remember best is Johnny Rivers version

Yeah, it did sound like Johnny Rivers. Mike has the words right, too !! :up:

Donny Carlson
04-02-2006, 07:43 PM
To be more precise: Little Caeser and the Romans

With pepperoni and cheese sticks.

http://www.littlecaesars.com/images/splash/splash_ani_sm_03.gif

Motorhead350
04-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Thats actually correct I forgot about the little part. Anyone know of Little Joe and The Thrillers and how they had a song called Peanuts? Know who the singer is? Joe Pesci. Funny how he wanted to sing first then became better known as an actor.

jerrym3
04-03-2006, 06:34 AM
In The Still of the Night is always the fan favorite number 1 doo-wop song. Great tune. Never, ever get tired of listening to it.

But the one that takes me back to the my good old days of being 16 is the Flamingos "I Only Have Eyes For You".

"My love must be a kind of blind love.....
I can't see anyone but you....
Sh-bop, sh-bop........................... ...........
Are the stars out tonight....................."

No matter where I am, or what I'm doing, that tune comes on and I'm back down the Jersey Shore, driving home with my friends from Seaside Heights in the back seat of my buddy's mother's 1949 Studebaker.

I also remember going to Palisades Amusement Park back then and seeing that new young disc jockey doing his radio show from the Park: Cousin Brucie Morrow; listening to the radio late at night hearing a new song called "Oobey Doobey" by Roy Orbison; and watching a new singer called Elvis Presley going nuts on the Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey TV show (Jackie Gleason's Saturday night summer replacement).

Hate to admit it, but, just like a lot of other music, Doo-Wop will die out some day.

Motorhead350
04-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Naa I'll keep Doo Wop around a little longer. I actually got a band and we mix all that old school stuff. Like Rock n' Roll, rockabilly, surf, 70's punk and of course Doo Wop. Soon as we finish our studio work in the next week or so I'll post a site for everyone to go to. I'm sure you'll like it. :cool:

RoyLPita
04-03-2006, 10:11 AM
This is an interesting article on Terry Jacks and "Seasons in the Sun".

http://www.superseventies.com/1974_3singles.html

Motorhead350
04-03-2006, 04:53 PM
WHHHHHAAAAAAAOOOOOOO thats was an interesting article because I got the Nirvana box set a few months back and they actually covered that song during a rehersal the year Kurt killed himself. It was sung in a very low voice and Kurt was playing drums and singing instead of guitar. His bass player Krist was playing guitar and Dave the drummer (now front man of the Foo Fighters) was on bass. The story of that song and Nirvava for playing it couldn't have been anymore strange. Just a little observation.