PDA

View Full Version : Newb question

ghost
04-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Is the MM engine the same one the Cobra has? And what is a "Dead Pedal?"

I'd appreciate any links to sites that has basic information about the Marauder so I can catch up knowledgewise to you guys.

Thanks.

Eric

MMM2003
04-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Check the FAQ section on general MM stuff. For the most part the MM has the '01 Cobra engine.

Dead pedal is for your left foot to rest on. Bolted to the left of the brake. There was just recently a thread about the same stuff.

Try a serach with "Dead Pedal". Or check the Kenny Brown website. They sell them.

Welcome ! Nice SS, by the way

ghost
04-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the reply and the compliment on my Caprice. :)

I read some of the dead pedal thread and had an idea about what it might possibly be, but I wasn't sure.

The only FAQ I found was how to use the vBulletin board. I'll look for the MM FAQ again, thanks. :o

I'm a consultant. I'm not too bright.

Eric

beemer
04-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Nice car and nice videos from your site. Welcome and enjoy MM.net. You can be real proud of your SS.......if it were mine I sure would!

Best,

Paul:D

ghost
04-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks Paul. ;)

Everyone here has been very friendly, I appreciate that. I have a feeling that MM.net will become the Merc counterpart to the ISSCA forum. (http://www.impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi) :D

Eric

01 Interceptor
04-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Welcome ghost, I recognize the car! There are more LT1 guys here than you may think. That Caprice is beastly...nice job.

ghost
04-26-2003, 04:17 AM
Thanks, Jonathan. I see you're in stealth mode now, that PI is DARK! ;) That's quite a collection you now have, heh. Must look like an FOP lodge at your house. :D

Eric

SergntMac
04-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Doesn't the Cobra motor have a cast iron block and steel forged internals? I may be remembering it wrong, but I do know that we share motors with the 03 Mach 1 and Aviator.

jgc61sr2002
04-26-2003, 01:12 PM
Sarge - I think you are correct in stating the the Cobra engine block is cast iron. John

Bigdogjim
04-26-2003, 06:40 PM
ghost: Welcome! Your SS looks real good...Tons of info on the MM right here right now one car one web site...:beer:
Big Dog

ghost
04-26-2003, 08:08 PM
Thanks and thanks again, Bigdogjim. http://www.doersch.info/ghost/_drink.gif

Looking forward to learning about the MM.

Eric

Warpath
04-28-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Doesn't the Cobra motor have a cast iron block and steel forged internals? I may be remembering it wrong, but I do know that we share motors with the 03 Mach 1 and Aviator.

96 thru 01 Cobras have aluminum blocks, cast rods and pistons, and forged steel crank. The 03 Cobra went to cast iron block with aluminum heads, forged rods and pistons, and kept the forged crank when the blower was added. The aluminum block wouldn't last through Fords testing with the blower (something like 150k miles). I believe the Mach1 is an 01 Cobra motor with different intake and cams (I think). I don't know about the Aviator.

WolfeBros
04-28-2003, 08:50 AM
The Marauder and Aviator do share the same engine.

LincMercLover
04-28-2003, 11:20 AM
The Aviator has a totally different intake. It has a varriable runner intake to help with it's overheating problem, I believe...

SergntMac
04-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Doesn't the Cobra motor have a cast iron block and steel forged internals? I may be remembering this wrong, but I do know that we share motors with the '03 Mach 1 and Aviator.

Originally posted by jgc61sr2002
Sarge, I think you are correct in stating the the Cobra engine block is cast iron.

Originally posted by Warpath
96 thru 01 Cobras have aluminum blocks, cast rods and pistons, and forged steel crank. The 03 Cobra went to cast iron block with aluminum heads, forged rods and pistons, and kept the forged crank when the blower was added. The aluminum block wouldn't last through Fords testing with the blower (something like 150k miles). I believe the Mach1 is an 01 Cobra motor with different intake and cams (I think). I don't know about the Aviator.

Originally posted by WolfeBros
The Marauder and Aviator do share the same engine.

Originally posted by LincMercLover
The Aviator has a totally different intake. It has a varriable runner intake to help with it's overheating problem, I believe...

Well alrighty then...Glad we had this discussion.

LincMercLover
04-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Gettin' pretty good at that multiple quoting thing huh? :up: :D

ghost
04-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Jeez, I'm new here and look what I started. :D

LOL,

Eric

jgc61sr2002
04-29-2003, 06:21 AM
Eric This site is a total learning expericnce. John

Warpath
04-29-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by LincMercLover

Not overheating, but it changes volumetric efficiency. If I remember correctly, short runners increase low end torque, long runners increase high end hp. Therefore, if an engine can switch between both, it can increase low end torque and high end hp. The 96 thru 98? (I don't remember when it ended) Cobras had dual runner intakes. Some people said they can feel when it switches over.

LincMercLover
04-29-2003, 11:17 AM
This is just what I heard coming from my father who works as a QA and Group Leader at St. Louis Assembly.

ghost
04-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Warpath
Not overheating, but it changes volumetric efficiency. If I remember correctly, short runners increase low end torque, long runners increase high end hp. Therefore, if an engine can switch between both, it can increase low end torque and high end hp. The 96 thru 98? (I don't remember when it ended) Cobras had dual runner intakes. Some people said they can feel when it switches over.

I believe you may have this backwards. From what I know, shorter, fatter intake runners increase top-end HP and longer, narrower runners increase low-end torque. ;)

Just look at the Edelbrock intakes for the Cobra in the Summit Racing catalog, it basically tells you the same thing.

Eric

Warpath
04-30-2003, 09:24 AM
OK. I couldn't remember. Its been a while since I looked into it.