PDA

View Full Version : MM Durability?

Bradley G
04-03-2006, 11:59 AM
In 1964 Ford did durability testing on the Mercury Comet.
They ran several Comets, on a race track, up to 100,000 miles at an average speed of 105 mph.
This was including stops for fuel and servicing.The testing took about five weeks to complete.
Do you think a Marauder could survive if put to this type of use?
I read this on the back inside cover of an IMOA International Mercury Owners Assoc.Publication.
It was a reprint of an old FMC advertisement.

jerrym3
04-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I can still remember that item.

Ford's had a durability reputation, but were also prone to rust.

I read a Special Interest magazine article about the 64 Galaxie where they warned potential buyers to beware that it was very difficult to tell how many miles the old Galaxies actually had because they were so durable. Even the interiors would look great after many years.

My Galaxie's at the 209,000 mile level, but I could easily say that it had 109,000 miles, maybe even low 90s, if I were to play around with the odometer, which, of course, I would never do.

TripleTransAm
04-03-2006, 12:12 PM
As long as it wasn't run on Kerosene, I think the drivetrain would survive no problem.

I personally don't think I could stand 5 straight weeks of ticking from a valvetrain or squeaking from a hood latch. :)

rayjay
04-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Not sure about the 03-04s, but I was considering buying a 63 1/2 last fall that was in pretty good shape. I think he still has it, now if the Arbitor would announce our contract award... ;)

Bluerauder
04-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Ford's ... were also prone to rust.
That's an understatement. :rolleyes: Rust out was a major problem on Ford's in the late 50's and early 60's. My family had a 1958 Country Squire station wagon that had almost completely rusted out the front and rear quarterpanels, floorboards and wheel wells in just over 3 years. That was typical of Ford's "rust problem". GM's Body by Fisher was eating their lunch through most of the 1960's with the exception of the introduction of the Mustang.