PDA

View Full Version : Rock N' Roll Thread

Motorhead350
04-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Sense we really got the Jan and Dean one going I figured it's be cool to get one going on rock n' roll or anything that relates to it. Such as Doo Wop, Rockabilly and Surf. The rules are nothing made after 1963. So don't mention The Beatles or Boston or anything.... jusrt pure first wave Rock N' Roll. Well to start this one off just wanted to mention a few of my favorite artists. Buddy Holly and The Crickets, Jan and Dean, The Beach Boys, Ricky Nelson, Dick Dale, Little Richard, Gene Vincent and Chuck Berry. Oh found out Gene Pitney died this morning. Ok whos got some favorites?

martyo
04-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Does The Man in Black (Johnny Cash) count?

Motorhead350
04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Oh sure only because he's good. He's basically Country, but I guess some of his older stuff is rockabilly.... I don't know too much about him, but hey he's great. Sure whatever you wanna say go for it! :2thumbs:

Merc-O-matic
04-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Just finished reading The Autobiography of Chuck Berry.....
Never knew that he had done time in the "Joint"..."Big House"
.."Slammer" times three!
One of my favorities "No Particular Place to Go" was written
in 1962 while he was doin' time in the Federal Pen at Springfield, Mo.
He will be 80 years old this year. Born October 18, 1926 St. Louis, Mo.

Gotta Love It!:pimp:

Motorhead350
04-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Cool where did you get that book? I wanna read it too.

Merc-O-matic
04-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Cool where did you get that book? I wanna read it too.

Got the book at a "Flea Market".....Sorry the book is long out of print.

Motorhead350
04-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Got the book at a "Flea Market".....Sorry the book is long out of print.
The best stuff usually is.

Bluerauder
04-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh found out Gene Pitney died this morning.
R.I.P. Gene Pitney. He had a very distintive voice and wrote many songs for others that went on to become famous.

CRUZTAKER
04-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Does The Man in Black (Johnny Cash) count?

Sure does...

A man before his time.

Most of his creations are easily used as covers by any number of Rock bands.

dwasson
04-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Louis Jordan and the Tympani Five. He did the original "Caldonia" (what makes your big head so hard?), "Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens", and "Knock Me A Kiss". I think his last big year was 1953. At one point he was married to Ruth Brown. Louis was responsible for some of Ruth's best work, "(Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean", "5-10-15 Hours", and "It's Love Baby (24 Hours Of The Day)", for instance. My all time favorite Ruth Brown song is from 1957, "If I Can't Sell It, I'll Just Sit On It (Ain't Nobody Getting It For Free)".

I listen to both of them at least once per week.

Paul T. Casey
04-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Jerry Lee Lewis was cool, I'm a big Beach Boys fan, although a lot of their stuff was post 1963. If you get a chance, find some of the real old Rolling Stones for that timeframe. They did a lot of Chuck Berry covers. Also was Bo Didiley from that era too?

Motorhead350
04-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Yup Bo Diddley had his first hit Bo Diddley in 1955. The first one chord song recorded in sweet home Chicago. I can't get enough of his song "Crackin' Up." I think I'm going to listen to it right now.:)

jonroe
04-05-2006, 05:54 PM
I just have to go with Buddy Holly. Soooo many well written enduring songs.

Jon

dwasson
04-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Most of the definative blues recordings came from the 1953 to 1963 period too.

Motorhead350
04-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Most of the definative blues recordings came from the 1953 to 1963 period too.
Oh cool I didn't know that. I thought it was more of a 30's or 40's era.

jerrym3
04-06-2006, 05:54 AM
I came across an interesting CD: Vanilla Doo Wop.

Doo wop started out as a black sound in the mid 50s, but in the late 50s/early 60s, white groups started to make some hits (at least until the British Invasion started).

This CD is a compilation of white group songs. Some of the groups on the CD: Royalteens, Fireflies, Capris, Castells, Bellmonts, etc.

Check the TowerRecords website, Vanilla Doo Wop, album.

Listening to Pitney on the way to work today, I noticed that his songs, with regards to their theme, were very similar to another very popular singer/artist back then, Roy Orbison.

Lots of "boy loses girl", "girl gets new boyfriend," "Love Hurts" kind of stuff. Maybe that, and car tunes, were very popular back then. Don't know; can't remember too much from the early 60s.

If you've ever listened to Roy Orbison's "Mama" (about a guy calling his mother to tell her about his girlfriend dumping him), you'll hear what I mean. You can almost feel the pain in his voice as he tells his mother what happened. Not a big Roy hit, but a classic tune with great lyrics.

dwasson
04-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Oh cool I didn't know that. I thought it was more of a 30's or 40's era.

The electric blues anyway.

dwasson
04-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Gene Pitney was underrated as a song writer too. He was one of the few singers from that era who wrote many of his own songs.

fastblackmerc
04-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Checkout this website for oldies info: http://oldies.about.com/

1 Bad Merc
04-06-2006, 10:48 AM
For some reason I am drawing a blank on Gene Pitney. What songs did he write/sing? I am a Beach Boys/Jan & Dean fan and love music from that era but for some reason I still cant place Gene.

jerrym3
04-06-2006, 11:13 AM
If you weren't a Pitney fan, you may still remember 1,2,3,4,5 and 6.

I especially liked 9 and 17.

1. Only Love Can Break A Heart
2. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
3. It Hurts To Be In Love
4. Half Heaven-Half Heartache
5. Town Without Pity
6. Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa
7. Something's Gotten A Hold Of My Heart
8. Backstage
9. I'm Gonna Be Strong
10. Maria Elena
11. Mecca
12. Shes A Heartbreaker
13. Last Chance To Turn Around
14. Shady Lady
15. Looking Through The Eyes Of Love
16. True Love Never Runs Smooth
17. I Must Be Seeing Things
18. Unchained Melody

Motorhead350
04-06-2006, 11:30 AM
I think Paul Anka wrote his own stuff too. He was pretty young too and wrote stuff for others. Anyone know that song Shout Shout!? Not Shout by the Isley Brothers the song Shout Shout! was by Ernie something..... anyone know his last name? I can't get enough of that song.

fastblackmerc
04-06-2006, 11:56 AM
For some reason I am drawing a blank on Gene Pitney. What songs did he write/sing? I am a Beach Boys/Jan & Dean fan and love music from that era but for some reason I still cant place Gene.
Gene wasn't a real big hit in the states. He was a much bigger hit in England / Europe.

jerrym3
04-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Ernie Mareska seems to ring a bell.

Bluerauder
04-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Gene wasn't a real big hit in the states. He was a much bigger hit in England / Europe.
Pitney had 16 top forty songs in the USA from 1961 to 1968, and he had more than forty such songs in the UK all the way up to 1989.

I remember going to see "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and was disapointed that the song wasn't even used in the movie or the credits. :(

And Gene Pitney wasn't just singing. Some of the songs he wrote [or co-wrote] were just as popular as those he sang -- the Crystals with He's A Rebel, Ricky Nelson with Hello Mary Lou, Bobby Vee with Rubber Ball, Roy Orbison with Today's Teardrops, and the list goes on.

jerrym3
04-06-2006, 12:34 PM
There also was a Shout sung by Tears For Fears, definitely not a doo wop group, but a good group nevertheless.

Those two guys actually did have a very good sound, and even an old guy like me from the doo wop era can enjoy their music. (I have one of their CDs, and it's definitely a "taker" when I pack up some CDs for a road trip.)

Excluding rap/hip hop, I can enjoy music from just about any era.

Motorhead350
04-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I love He's A Rebel. I'll never get sick of that song and love the lyrics. Wonder if he wrote Loco Motion too. :lol:

dwasson
04-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I really want this package.

One Kiss Can Lead to Another: Girl Group Sounds Lost and Found (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B5KRV6/sr=8-1/qid=1144369387/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3300486-9288003?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

fastblackmerc
04-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I love He's A Rebel. I'll never get sick of that song and love the lyrics. Wonder if he wrote Loco Motion too. :lol:
Loco Motion was written by Carol King for her babysitter.... Little Eva.

See:

http://oldies.about.com/cs/60srockers/a/aa042103a.htm

http://www.history-of-rock.com/little_eva.htm

Larry Durham
04-06-2006, 06:34 PM
I got a kick out of this thread so I thought I might bring up a couple or three of songs that were popular in a time when most of us were still in our prepupesent stage of life, when life was good, parents ruled,work was dignified, fast cars were rare and girls were hard to get.
The first song was from a movie that had to do with white lighting. The second had to do with a hanging, and the third was about a subway.
:

Motorhead350
04-06-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm stumped. If you said a song that Little Richard sung and was also a movie I would have said The Girl Can't Help It. Anyone know one of those three songs?

Bluerauder
04-06-2006, 07:52 PM
The first song was from a movie that had to do with white lighting. The second had to do with a hanging, and the third was about a subway. :
The first one is "Thunder Road" with Robert Mitchum as the moonshine runner. Loved that song .......... :D

The second one is "Tom Dooley" .... hang down your head Tom Dooley ... poor boy you're gonna die.

The third one is "MTA"...the story of a tragic Boston Metro Transit incident. "Let me tell you the story about a man named Andy on a tragic and fateful day ... he had 10 cents in his pocket ... went to ride on the trolley ... went to ride on the M.T.A. .... but he never returned .... "

fastblackmerc
04-06-2006, 08:25 PM
, and the third was about a subway.
"Don't Sleep In the Subway" by Petula Clark?

Larry Durham
04-07-2006, 04:16 AM
The first one is "Thunder Road" with Robert Mitchum as the moonshine runner. Loved that song .......... :D

The second one is "Tom Dooley" .... hang down your head Tom Dooley ... poor boy you're gonna die.

The third one is "MTA"...the story of a tragic Boston Metro Transit incident. "Let me tell you the story about a man named Andy on a tragic and fateful day ... he had 10 cents in his pocket ... when to ride on the trolley ... went to ride on the M.T.A. .... but he never returned .... "

Great job, I loved the movie too, guess we're showing our age. By the way the it was Charlie that was lost on the MTA :beer:

jerrym3
04-07-2006, 05:39 AM
I remember another group that kind of peaked in the USA, but became very popular in England.

Gene Vincent (and his Blue Caps): "Be-bop-a-lula".

(They just don't write lyrics like they used to!)

I think Gene was killed in a car crash.

Bluerauder
04-07-2006, 06:05 AM
Great job, I loved the movie too, guess we're showing our age. By the way the it was Charlie that was lost on the MTA :beer:
Yes, in fact it was Charlie on the MTA. "But he never returned ... no he never returned ... and his fate is still unknown. He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston. He's the man who never returned." :D

In the "Thunder Road" movie, Robert Mitchum's son played the role of his younger brother. :)

Motorhead350
04-07-2006, 06:18 AM
I remember another group that kind of peaked in the USA, but became very popular in England.

Gene Vincent (and his Blue Caps): "Be-bop-a-lula".

(They just don't write lyrics like they used to!)

I think Gene was killed in a car crash.
I don't know how he died, but I loved his work. I only have one album by him and it's on vinyl and sounds great. Ever heard of Crazy Times? I'm sure you have and I think theres two car songs and the album too.

Larry Durham
04-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Yes, in fact it was Charlie on the MTA. "But he never returned ... no he never returned ... and his fate is still unknown. He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston. He's the man who never returned." :D

In the "Thunder Road" movie, Robert Mitchum's son played the role of his younger brother. :)

Thats right and didn't he make the last run in the movie after his father was killed?

And as for Charlie, " no he never returned... and his fate is still UNLEARNED :D

jerrym3
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Never heard of Crazy Times, but I enjoyed his tunes "Woman Love", "Blue Jean Bop", and "Lotta Lovin'".

His group had a Buddy Holly/Crickets sound. Lot's of music/sound from just a few instruments.

Motorhead350
04-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Yea you don't see any bands with a great sound with just 3 or 4 people anymore.

dwasson
04-07-2006, 02:30 PM

The road scenes for that movie were filmed in North Carolina. The filmmakers used the Chertahola Skyway and Tail of the Dragon for some of the scenes.

My favorite part is where Robert Michum is driving flat out through the mountains and takes his hand off the wheel to light a cigarette. Too cool.

Bluerauder
04-07-2006, 06:41 PM
The road scenes for that movie were filmed in North Carolina. The filmmakers used the Chertahola Skyway and Tail of the Dragon for some of the scenes.
More trivia facts on Thunder Road (1958)

All of the "moonrunner" cars in the film had actually been used by moonshiners in the Asheville, North Carolina, area, where the film was shot. The moonshiners sold the cars to the film company in order to buy newer and faster cars.

The 1950 Ford that Robert Mitchum drives in the beginning is actually a 1951 Ford with a 1950 grille, and the chrome windsplits removed. The give-away: the V-8 emblems, the "Ford Custom" emblems on the front fenders, the dashboard, and steering wheel.

The '57 Ford used in the crash scene was specially built to withstand the force of impact when it was driven in-between the two revenuer cars. The front fenders were made of cast steel and the body and frame were heavily reinforced. The weight of the car was such that special solid sponge rubber tires had to be fabricated and used. No tire of the day could support the weight and speed the car had to attain and still look like normal car tires. The engine also had to be highly modified to produce the horsepower necessary for the speed requirement.

The role of Robin was offered to Elvis Presley, who showed interest, but the idea was nixed by Presley's manager, 'Col. Tom Parker' . Robert Mitchum's son ended up with the role of Robin.

Motorhead350
04-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Can I find that movie on DVD or is it one of those hard to come by out of print ones?

dwasson
04-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Can I find that movie on DVD or is it one of those hard to come by out of print ones?

It's easy to find, even cheap.

Thunder Road at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0792844904/qid=1144510571/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3300486-9288003?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130)

Motorhead350
04-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks I'll be sure to check it out. Ever seen Sin City? The cars on there are rad too. Now I got a movie called 2 Lane BlackTop and it says one of the Beach Boys is in it. I've seen it several times, but still don't know which character he is or even which Beach Boy. Anyone know?

Bluerauder
04-09-2006, 05:08 AM
Now I got a movie called 2 Lane BlackTop and it says one of the Beach Boys is in it. I've seen it several times, but still don't know which character he is or even which Beach Boy. Anyone know?
Two Lane Blacktop (1971) ... in that movie James Taylor (R&R Hall of Fame) was the driver and Dennis Wilson was the mechanic. Dennis Wilson was the drummer on the Beach Boys and was Brian Wilson's brother. :D

Motorhead350
04-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Wow thanks I didn't know one of the Beach Boys had a lead role! Now I like the movie even more. :bows:

chuckled
05-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Elvis is the KING!! Fats Domino, Carl Perkins, The Drifters were not R&R but sure were good especially when Ben E. King was lead singer, The Platters, hell of an era for music. We will never see the like again. I was born in 1940, so my formative years were influenced by the music.

Motorhead350
05-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Elvis is the KING!! Fats Domino, Carl Perkins, The Drifters were not R&R but sure were good especially when Ben E. King was lead singer, The Platters, hell of an era for music. We will never see the like again. I was born in 1940, so my formative years were influenced by the music.
I'm going to try to change that. Gimme a few years... no kidding.

2003 MIB
05-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Two Lane Blacktop (1971) ... in that movie James Taylor (R&R Hall of Fame) was the driver and Dennis Wilson was the mechanic. Dennis Wilson was the drummer on the Beach Boys and was Brian Wilson's brother. :D

It was also the only feature film acting role either guy ever had. Warren Oates carrys the film but it is a great period piece. One of my favorites of the era- the other is Billy Jack. I don't mean to derail thread...please carry on.

jerrym3
05-05-2006, 11:44 AM
I like to think that Elvis will live on forever as an American entertainment icon, but, realistically, the big crooners of my parent's days are no longer listened to by us (ex: Rudy Vallee (spelling probably wrong). So, why should E be any different?

Who knows for sure. Another generation and Elvis may be nothing but a dim memory in a history book.

Then, after him, The Beatles, and then, eventually, all the great hip hop and rap artists; both of 'em.

2003 MIB
05-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Who knows for sure. Another generation and Elvis may be nothing but a dim memory in a history book.

Okay, maybe I'm biased (I have a TCB tattoo on my chest and proposed at the gates of Graceland) but Elvis won't fade. He's become too iconic (Eminiem lyrics, Public Enemy lyrics, kid's cartoons) Remixis of Rubbernecking and A little less Conversation both charted in last five years with EP's voice dubbed into a techno beat track. Elvis also died young rather than faded away- the mystique around that keeps it going.

Motorhead350
05-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I kinda like Ricky Nelson a little more then Elvis, but both were great especially in their early Rockabilly years.

PhastPhil
05-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Don't forget Dion! He sang Run around Sue, Why must I be a teenager in love.
Or Frankie Valli.

The song Shout Shout... did it go,
Shout Shout knock yourself out, Yell Yell loud it's swell, Scream Scream you know what I mean, put another dime in the record machine wop wop wop...wop wop ba da da da....

Dragcity
05-05-2006, 10:01 PM
If you check out swing form the 40's / early 50's you'll get an idea of where it all came form. Most of the good tunes had no words, just a beat and rythm that got you movin'. That theme carried directly into the popular 50's / early 60's favorites. That's why I get a kick out of The Brian Setzer Orchestra today. They revive that 40's - 60's character and present it with full orchestra and a bit of an edge.

Talk about angst... It started long ago in music.....

Got a complinent the other day while listening to Brian Setzer doing 'Shoe Shine Boy" by Johnny Cash. Way more up-tempo than the original. Dude and his gal next to me had to know who it was. I pulled the CD out of the dash and passed it over to them. It was my driving copy, so I told them to enjoy.....

Just another day in the Marauder. Makin' freinds wherever we go....

Prolly' off topic now, huh?

jerrym3
05-08-2006, 06:31 AM
It's getting real hard to find 50/60s music on regular radio stations here in the NY/NJ area.

Even the songs on my digital cable radio stations at home are more 60s and newer, not 50s.

I hope the King goes on forever, but life and time marches on.

Motorhead350
05-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Don't forget Dion! He sang Run around Sue, Why must I be a teenager in love.
Or Frankie Valli.

The song Shout Shout... did it go,
Shout Shout knock yourself out, Yell Yell loud it's swell, Scream Scream you know what I mean, put another dime in the record machine wop wop wop...wop wop ba da da da....
Yea Yea Yea!!!! Who sings Shout Shout? I know someone said something earlier, but I didn't jot it down :o Dion is awesome and I especially love Lonely Teenager. I think Dion wrote Shout Shout or someone that wrote songs for him did, I don't remember.

Haggis
05-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Sense we really got the Jan and Dean one going I figured it's be cool to get one going on rock n' roll or anything that relates to it. Such as Doo Wop, Rockabilly and Surf. The rules are nothing made after 1963. So don't mention The Beatles or Boston or anything.... jusrt pure first wave Rock N' Roll. Well to start this one off just wanted to mention a few of my favorite artists. Buddy Holly and The Crickets, Jan and Dean, The Beach Boys, Ricky Nelson, Dick Dale, Little Richard, Gene Vincent and Chuck Berry. Oh found out Gene Pitney died this morning. Ok whos got some favorites?
Sorry I do not listen to any rock before 1963. Not heavy enough!! Right Scott. :up:

fastblackmerc
05-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Yea Yea Yea!!!! Who sings Shout Shout? I know someone said something earlier, but I didn't jot it down :o Dion is awesome and I especially love Lonely Teenager. I think Dion wrote Shout Shout or someone that wrote songs for him did, I don't remember.
The Isley Brothers did Shout Shout.

How about:
Johnny Maestro and the Crests
Danny and the Juniors
Gene Chandler
Marc Denning
The Marvelettes
The Coasters
The Five Satins
The Mello Kings
The Elegents
The Impalas
The Del Vikings
The Monotones
The Marcels
Don and Juan
The drifters
The Teen Queens
Pau and Paula
The Essex
The Rays
The Chiffons
The Diamonds
Jay and the Americans
Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs
The Chantels
The Dells
The Duprees
Kathy Young and the Innocents

Should I go on?

I'll have my Doo Wop / Oldies collection on the OmniFi at Orlando in November.

ex00p71
05-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Sam Cooke.

Bluerauder
05-08-2006, 04:07 PM

How about:
Danny and the Juniors
Gene Chandler
Marc Denning
The Marvelettes
The Coasters
The Five Satins
The Mello Kings
The Elegents
The Impalas
The Del Vikings
The Monotones
The Marcels
Don and Juan
The drifters
The Teen Queens
Pau and Paula
The Essex
The Rays
The Chiffons
The Diamonds
Jay and the Americans
The Chantels
The Dells
The Duprees

Should I go on?

I only remember about 63% of those on your list .... wow !!! :D I may remember the songs of the others ... just not the name of the group. ;)

A98CVLX
05-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Meat Loaf!

fastblackmerc
05-08-2006, 04:42 PM
I only remember about 63% of those on your list .... wow !!! :D I may remember the songs of the others ... just not the name of the group. ;)
Johnny Maestro and the Crests - 16 Candles, Trouble in Paradise, Step by Step, The Angels Listened In
Marc Denning - Last Kiss (recently covered by Pearl Jam)
The Mello Kings - Tonite, Tonite
The Elegents - Little Star
The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
Don and Juan - What's Your Name
The Teen Queens - Eddie My Love
The Rays - Silhouettes
Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs - Stay
Kathy Young and the Innocents - A Thousand Stars

How about:
Dale and Grace
Bobby Lewis
Gary U.S. Bond
Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon
The Poni-Tails
Ernie K. Doe
The Moonglows
The Ronbettes
Randy and the Rainbows
Shep and the Limelights
The Flamingos

usafsniper
05-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Duane Eddy...

15 Top Forty hits between '58 and '63. Probably best know for "Rebel Rouser".

http://www.history-of-rock.com/eddy.jpg

ex00p71
05-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Ernie K. Doe-Mother In Law

I laugh everytime I hear that song.

Motorhead350
05-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Yea all good music. Correction though Shout is by The Isley Brothers and Shout Shout! is by Ernie something and I keep forgetting his last name. Anyone know?

Bluerauder
05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Duane Eddy...

15 Top Forty hits between '58 and '63. Probably best know for "Rebel Rouser".

http://www.history-of-rock.com/eddy.jpg
He also did "Raunchy". :D

Bluerauder
05-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Johnny Maestro and the Crests - 16 Candles, Trouble in Paradise, Step by Step, The Angels Listened In
Marc Denning - Last Kiss (recently covered by Pearl Jam)
The Mello Kings - Tonite, Tonite
The Elegents - Little Star
The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
Don and Juan - What's Your Name
The Teen Queens - Eddie My Love
The Rays - Silhouettes
Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs - Stay
Kathy Young and the Innocents - A Thousand Stars

How about:
Dale and Grace
Bobby Lewis
Gary U.S. Bond
Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon
The Poni-Tails
Ernie K. Doe
The Moonglows
The Ronbettes (Ronnettes ??)
Randy and the Rainbows
Shep and the Limelights
The Flamingos
Still not sure about the Mello Kings --- Tonite, Tonite (not the West Side Story version I don't think ;)

kj31067
05-08-2006, 05:34 PM
i know this might be '65 or '66 , but does anybody know who jimmy james and the blue flames eventually turned into? hint; he did a stint with little richard.............

Motorhead350
05-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Jimmi Hendrex?

fastblackmerc
05-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Still not sure about the Mello Kings --- Tonite, Tonite (not the West Side Story version I don't think ;)
Tonite, Tonite
The Mello-Kings
Written by Billy Myles

Originally peaked at # 77 in 1957
Re-issued in 1961 and made only # 95

Too-oo-oo-nite, tonite while I'm holding you so near (holding you so near)
Tonite, tonite what I'd give if I could hear
Those three little words that would thrill the heart of me (thrill the heart of me)
Just whisper (shhh whisper) "I love you" and will eternally

Tonite, tonite more than any time before (any time before)
This hea-ah-art of mine seems to need you so much more
The touch of your lips, the thrill of your embrace (thrill of your embrace)
Keep saying that no one will ever take your place

While looking up above I-I wished upon a star
And prayed for a blessing from ab-o-o-o-ove
Well, if my wish should come true until our life is through
I'll have you near to have, to hold and to love

Well, tonite, tonite may it never reach an end (never reach an end)
I'll mi-i-iss you so till you're in my arms again
With all of my heart I declare with all my might (declare with all my might)
I'll love you forever as I lo-o-o-ve you tonite

(Love you, love you, love you tonite)

Too-oo-oo-nite, tonite may it never reach an end (never reach an end)
I'll mi-i-iss you so till you're in my arms again
With all of my heart I declare with all my might (declare with all my might)
I'll love you forever as I lo-o-o-ve you-oo to-oo-ni-ite
(Love you tonite)

fastblackmerc
05-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Yea all good music. Correction though Shout is by The Isley Brothers and Shout Shout! is by Ernie something and I keep forgetting his last name. Anyone know?
You sir are correct!!! Good catch!!

SHOUT! SHOUT! (KNOCK YOURSELF OUT)
Ernie Maresca

Wop wop wop, wop wop adada dada
Shout Shout knock yourself out..
Comeon yell yell loud and swell
You gotta Scream scream you know what I mean,
Put another dime in the record machine..
Hey we're having a party now it's just begun
We're all over here and we're having fun..
Joe's all alone and he wants to be kissed
While Mary's in the corner and she's doing the twist..
So Let's Shout Shout knock yourself out..
Hey Play another song like A Runaround Sue,
Let's do a dance that we all can do..
Turn that jukebox up mighty loud,
Let's liven up this crazy crowd..
Comeon Shout Shout knock yourself out..
Every party that I intend
Believe now it's the livin end
Moving and groovin with some friends of mine..
Saturday night now we're having a time ...
So Lets..Shout Shout knock yourself out..
Hey Doing the fly with our hands in the sky..
Yeah, foot stomping baby just a you and I
School was out about a quarter to three
And we're having fun it's plain to see..
So Lets..Shout Shout knock yourself out..

Motorhead350
05-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Thank you. I get chills everytime I hear this song like it's something really special. I wish someone would come up with something this good again, but nothing like that is around..... yet. Thanks again FastBlackMerc I'll try to find a copy of this song this weekend.

kj31067
05-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Jimmi Hendrex?
hendrix it is

Motorhead350
05-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Yeey I win again! Alright lets see who gets this and yes the years go a little beyond 1963 if you know what your talking about.... who did Tom and Jerry (from 1959) later become and known to the world as? I'm not talking about the cartoon that I could never get enough of. Might be a tough one.

jerrym3
05-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Simon and Garfunkel

Motorhead350
05-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Your are correct. You or anyone else have a trivia for us?

jerrym3
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
This is an easy one.

Ringo Starr was not the first artist to record the song "Honey Don't".

Who was?

Motorhead350
05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Gene Vincent? I'm not sure on this one.

jerrym3
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Not Gene Vincent.

Here's another one.

On Sam Cooke's "Bring It On Home To Me", what famous singer in his own right sang background?

jgc61sr2002
05-09-2006, 12:08 PM

How about:
Danny and the Juniors
Gene Chandler
Marc Denning
The Marvelettes
The Coasters
The Five Satins
The Mello Kings
The Elegents
The Impalas
The Del Vikings
The Monotones
The Marcels
Don and Juan
The drifters
The Teen Queens
Pau and Paula
The Essex
The Rays
The Chiffons
The Diamonds
Jay and the Americans
The Chantels
The Dells
The Duprees

Should I go on?

Brings back a lot of memories.:D Thanks.

jerrym3
05-09-2006, 12:38 PM
A few groups still perform and sound good.

Larry Chance and The Earls ("Remember Then" and "No No, Never fall in Love Again")
Kenny Vance and The Planettones ("Looking for an Echo") This guy can still hit the notes. They sound better now then back then. They redo a lot of classics. I heard them do "Darling Lorraine"/Knockouts on a PBS special, and they were really good.

Brings back memories of 1960, riding around in my two tone blue, 1955 Ford Sunliner (Hollywood mufflers) with my "steady", listening to "Walk, Don't Run" by the Ventures and "Chaingang" with Sam Cooke.

Motorhead350
05-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Lucky you. I'm stuck with all this crappy new music and moderns cars with the acception of a few.... one being the Marauder of course.

Bluerauder
05-10-2006, 04:18 PM
... listening to "Walk, Don't Run" by the Ventures.
I couldn't remember the name of that group .... Thanks !!! :D One of my favorite listening songs on one of their albums was "Telstar". I think someone else did it first ... but they did it best. :up:

Motorhead350
05-10-2006, 04:22 PM
I couldn't remember the name of that group .... Thanks !!! :D One of my favorite listening songs on one of their albums was "Telstar". I think someone else did it first ... but they did it best. :up:Telestar was done by The Tornados not The Ventures. I think the Ventures also had a great song called Guitar Boogie or something like that.

Bluerauder
05-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Telestar was done by The Tornados not The Ventures. I think the Ventures also had a great song called Guitar Boogie or something like that.
Yes, I believe the Tornadoes did the original "Telstar". However, it was also on one of the Ventures albums ... The Best of (?) ... or one of their '61-'63 albums.

Motorhead350
05-10-2006, 05:00 PM
oh cool now thats gives me something to look foward to. I seem to learn something everyday. :cool:

jerrym3
05-11-2006, 05:31 AM
"Honey Don't" was first sung by Carl Perkins. I think it was the flip side of "Blue Suede Shoes".

Sam Cooke's "Bring It on Home" background singer was Lou Rawls.

The Ventures song was titled "The Guitar Boogie Shuffle".

Yeah, we did have great cars back then. Unfortunately, they didn't last that long. (No one bought a used car with 60,000 miles on it unless they were broke.)

I started out with a 1953 Ford flathead ($250), three-speed, 4-door, went to the 55 Sunliner ($495), 1954 Olds 88 standard column shift (very rare; even swap for the 55 Ford), 1957 Olds 98 convert ($1,100), 1957 Chev BelAir, 3 speed Hurst,283/220 power pack ($800), and a brand new 1965 Corvette Nassau Blue 327/300 two top roadster (about $4,300).

Still have a 1964 Galaxie convert that I bought used in 1967.

fastblackmerc
05-11-2006, 06:30 AM
If anyone is interested I'll see how many DVD's it will take to copy my oldies collection (MP3's) to. You pay shipping and the cost of the DVD's.

chuckled
06-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Elvis may not be with us any longer but his name earned over 25 million dollars in 2005, more than any other deceased artist and more than most living artists.

GreekGod
06-06-2006, 03:09 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=title align=left>Biography</TD><TD class=author align=right>by Richie Unterberger</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>One of the best and most original rockers of the early '60s, Del Shannon was also one of the least typical. Although classified at times as a teen idol, he favored brooding themes of abandonment, loss, and rejection. In some respects he looked forward to the British Invasion with his frequent use of minor chords and his ability to write most of his own material. In fact, Shannon was able to keep going strong for a year or two into the British Invasion, and never stopped trying to play original music, though his commercial prospects pretty much died after the mid-'60s.

Born Charles Westover, Shannon happened upon a gripping series of minor chords while playing with his band in Battle Creek, MI. The chords would form the basis for his 1961 debut single, "Runaway," one of the greatest hits of the early '60s, with its unforgettable riffs, Shannon's amazing vocal range (which often glided off into a powerful falsetto), and the creepy, futuristic organ solo in the middle. It made number one, and the similar follow-up, "Hats Off to Larry," also made the Top Ten.

Shannon had intermittent minor hits over the next couple of years ("Little Town Flirt" was the biggest), but was even more successful in England, where he was huge. On one of his European tours in 1963, he played some shows with the Beatles (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:h84gtq4ztu45), who had just scored their first big British hits. Shannon, impressed by what he heard, would become the first American artist to cover a Beatles (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:hifrxqw5ldse) song when he recorded "From Me to You" for a 1963 single (although it would give him only a very small hit). Shannon's melodic style had some similarities with the burgeoning pop/rock wing of the British Invasion, and in 1965 Peter & Gordon (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:fm2zefwkhgf1) would cover a Shannon composition, "I Go to Pieces," for a Top Ten hit.

Del got into the Top Ten with a late-1964 single, "Keep Searchin'," that was one of his best and hardest-rocking outings. But after the similar "Stranger in Town" (#30, 1965), he wouldn't enter the Top 40 again for nearly a couple of decades. A switch to a bigger label (Liberty) didn't bring the expected commercial results, although he was continuing to release quality singles. Part of the problem was that some of these were a bit too eager to recycle some of his stock minor-keyed riffs, as good as his prototype was. A brief association with producer Andrew Loog Oldham (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:gek0ikphbbf9) (also manager/producer of the Rolling Stones (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:dxk0ikv6bb69)) found him continuing to evolve, developing a more baroque, orchestrated pop/rock sound, and employing British session musicians such as Nicky Hopkins (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:36jteal04xa7). Much to Shannon's frustration, Liberty decided not to release the album that resulted from the collaboration (some of the material appeared on singles, and much of the rest of the sessions would eventually be issued for the collector market).

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

GreekGod
06-06-2006, 03:26 PM
If you want to learn about any music or acting artist, just search "amg" for the greatest movie or music guide.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=titlebar style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 11px"></TD></TR><!--End Section Header--><TR><TD vAlign=top height="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><!--Begin Left SideBar--><TD class=left-sidebar vAlign=top><!--Begin Page Photo--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/pic200/drp500/p503/p50331jzand.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:nextPicture();)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I was a fan of Del Shannon from the first time I heard "Runaway".

My 9th grade English teacher (1965-1966) was from Coopersville, Michigan (about 15 miles away). When I learned he lived in Coopersville, I asked him if he knew Del Shannon. He answered "you mean little Chucky Westover?". Turns out he saw him grow up in that little town. I work with a black man that grew up in Coopersville. He was from the only black family at Coopersville high school and he also knew Del.

dwasson
06-06-2006, 05:06 PM
And today is Gary US Bonds' birthday.

jgc61sr2002
06-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I was a fan of Del Shannon from the first time I heard "Runaway".

Me too.:D :up: