PDA

View Full Version : 500 to get an early facelift

dwasson
04-07-2006, 02:39 PM
2007 Ford 500 to get a facelift

Slow sales have forced Ford to give the 2007 500 a facelift.

Snippet: "It's not the disaster some people make it out to be, but we were too conservative," said a Ford official involved in the program to overhaul the car. "The new version will be much sexier."

Five Hundred sales peaked last summer and have dropped steadily since. Last month, Ford sold 7,726 Five Hundreds -- a decline of nearly 18 percent from the 9,375 sold in March 2005.

STLR FN
04-07-2006, 03:11 PM
2007 Ford 500 to get a facelift

Slow sales have forced Ford to give the 2007 500 a facelift.

Snippet: "It's not the disaster some people make it out to be, but we were too conservative," said a Ford official involved in the program to overhaul the car. "The new version will be much sexier."

Five Hundred sales peaked last summer and have dropped steadily since. Last month, Ford sold 7,726 Five Hundreds -- a decline of nearly 18 percent from the 9,375 sold in March 2005.I'm taking this with a grain of salt Dan. Ford in earlier articles was getting lambasted for allowing its car lines to languish too long before model changes. So when the 500 was being planned Ford did make said they renew/refresh every 2/3 years. Problem is news media never really gave it any consideration. So now that Ford is refreshing after 2 years, "it's due to slow sales". :rolleyes:

And I've already seen quite a few floating through Dearborn all camo'd up. They have the same tri-bar grill that the Fusion & Expediton have. As a matter of fact when the Fusion debuted, Ford announced that the Tri-bar was going to be the new theme amongst it entire line up.

Smokie
04-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Snippet: "It's not the disaster some people make it out to be, but we were too conservative," said a Ford official involved in the program to overhaul the car. "The new version will be much sexier....

Someone please explain what sexier means when it comes to a car??? Is this a way of saying we want to sell this car to women???.

I have never in my entire lifetime associated sexy with a car....power, luxury, utility, handling, performance....what the hell is a SEXY car???? Idiots...they are clueless.

jgc61sr2002
04-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Someone please explain what sexier means when it comes to a car??? Is this a way of saying we want to sell this car to women???.

I have never in my entire lifetime associated sexy with a car....power, luxury, utility, handling, performance....what the hell is a SEXY car???? Idiots...they are clueless.

Javier - IMO that's just a term to sell more cars.

wsmylie
04-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Just bought a new one last Friday in the Chicago area to leave up here as my mid-west car. Base model SE, FWD, dark blue pearl met. Did quite a bit of research before buying, learned there was an unsold 89-90 day supply of these things sitting around (aren't selling anywhere near as well as Fusion and it's cousins). Shopped around, negotiated hard, and picked up a fresh one (3 weeks old out of the Chicago plant) at the end of March for way under invoice before rebates. Not real fast or sporty, but a well put-together, basic mid-size sedan with decent performance IMHO.... and, unlike the Fusion, its made in the USA. :D

Warpath
04-07-2006, 03:54 PM

Really? I've had a handful of people tell me that my Cobra is really "sexy." To me, a sexy vehicle is one that gives you a similar feeling as seeing an attractive woman (or guy if you swing that way). Its the type of vehicle that consumes your thoughts, makes your heart pound, makes you want to sell your mother just to get a chance to drive it, makes you feel like everyone wants to be with you, makes you feel rebellious, makes you forget about time and life when you drive it.... I hate to admit it. But, I can't help but feel sorry that you don't know what that's like.

Warpath
04-07-2006, 03:56 PM
BTW, to me, the 500 greenhouse is one of the biggest problems with the looks of the vehicle. The front and rear facias are really boring. It looks like they are addressing that. But, the too tall greenhouse lacks any style.

wsmylie
04-07-2006, 04:02 PM
BTW, to me, the 500 greenhouse is one of the biggest problems with the looks of the vehicle. The front and rear facias are really boring. It looks like they are addressing that. But, the too tall greenhouse lacks any style. Really...I think the greenhouse (and higher seating position) is one of it's better attributes IMHO. Don't like the short greenhouse look of the Mopar 300 and clones much at all. Beauty is in the eye of etc?

Smokie
04-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Really? I've had a handful of people tell me that my Cobra is really "sexy." To me, a sexy vehicle is one that gives you a similar feeling as seeing an attractive woman (or guy if you swing that way). Its the type of vehicle that consumes your thoughts, makes your heart pound, makes you want to sell your mother just to get a chance to drive it, makes you feel like everyone wants to be with you, makes you feel rebellious, makes you forget about time and life when you drive it.... I hate to admit it. But, I can't help but feel sorry that you don't know what that's like.

I'll explain my point of view, see if it makes sense to you.
I feel about my Marauder somewhat similar to what you describe....and yet view it totally different. My Marauder is powerful, rugged, great looking, strong, tough. When you look at it, it screams: MALE IN HIS PRIME, WILL KICK YOUR ASS.

These I consider male atributes, since I am also male I don't see my car as sexy TO ME, I hope it is sexy to WOMEN when they look at it. Do I make sense???

Logan
04-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Sorry, 500 is absolutely a freakin disaster. Atrocious, grandma stylin'...

dwasson
04-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Really...I think the greenhouse (and higher seating position) is one of it's better attributes IMHO. Don't like the short greenhouse look of the Mopar 300 and clones much at all. Beauty is in the eye of etc?

Like the 300, it looks better from inside than outside.

dwasson
04-07-2006, 04:49 PM
I feel about my Marauder somewhat similar to what you describe....and yet view it totally different. My Marauder is powerful, rugged, great looking, strong, tough. When you look at it, it screams: MALE IN HIS PRIME, WILL KICK YOUR ASS.

These I consider male atributes, since I am also male I don't see my car as sexy TO ME, I hope it is sexy to WOMEN when they look at it. Do I make sense???

I wonder if most women are more sensible about cars than men are. My wife reads Consumer Reports and brings a tape measure to the dealer to measure the truck. I haven't trusted Consumer Reports since the 70's when they liked the AMC Ambassador. I looked at the trunk, said, "Wow! Big spare, cool."

Smokie
04-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Javier - IMO that's just a term to sell more cars.

John am I the only one that sees that European and Japanese manufacturers make car commercials that extort the power and performance of their vehicles, they give you performance specs on their vehicles such as 0-60 and their websites tell you how fast they do the 1/4 mile and their top end speed.

Ford does not, their commercial are PRETTY not about POWER, I am not interested in pretty, who do you think shops for pretty cars????:D

TripleTransAm
04-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Someone please explain what sexier means when it comes to a car???

I think it refers to a grille shaped like a vagina and a hood ornament resembling an erect *****. Oh, and HID headlights that look like boobies.

No, wait, that's a new Hyundai... sorry, my bad.

fast Ed
04-07-2006, 05:49 PM
My father just bought a 2006 FWD Five Hundred last week to replace his 2000 Taurus. Seems like a decent car for him, but he is 71 after all. :)

cheers
Ed N.

Larry Durham
04-07-2006, 06:42 PM
My father just bought a 2006 FWD Five Hundred last week to replace his 2000 Taurus. Seems like a decent car for him, but he is 71 after all. :)

cheers
Ed N.

I was going to jump on this but I'll refrain :mad:

dwasson
04-07-2006, 07:14 PM

I think that Ford has that 70+ demographic sewed up. There's a lot of future there.

TripleTransAm
04-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Maybe the hearse market is next on the list of potential targets?

Jerry Barnes
04-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Yes, the car is a very good car and yes, the styling is too conservative. Jay Mays has been given a new assignment as VP of Creativity? And sent to Europe. From the conversation I have had with a good friend in Ford styling, the car will change the front and rear 10". The styling will be more aggressive. Look for the new grill used on the Fusion, lower front and rear fascia, wheel style changes, a new V6 3.5L 4V all aluminum engine. They will have a 3.7L 4V forged internals engine that will be used by Mazda and a 4.0L 4V used in larger vehicles based on that platform.

I think this is a great car with a lot of good characteristics. I personnally think this is th SLEEPER OF THE YEAR. Intercooled Supercharged V6 with ALL WHEEL DRIVE. Can you say "American version of the Mitsubishi Evo or Subaru WRX?" If you want to see what Ford Design and Trilogy think of a design concept, log on to our Trilogy Motorsports web site and watch the Ford 500 that rotates through our home page. This should give you some idea of where we, Ford Deign and Trilogy, think the car should go.

This is one of the Project Cars Trilogy has asked Ford for this year. If we get our way, you could see this car at SEMA later this year. Stay tuned. We like the car and want to work on it as a project car.

The Hurricane V8 has been resurrected to take on the HEMI and the GM LS1. I like the changes I see Mark Fields making. Ford should kick some a$$ and make good looking cars again.

Jerry

Warpath
04-08-2006, 03:21 PM

Yep. We're basically stating the same thing. Feelings aren't easy to put into words. We're all different. But, I can see "sexy" in a powerful vehicle though. Sexy isn't my first choice of words to describe a car. But, I can understand why someone does.

cyclone03
04-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes, the car is a very good car and yes, the styling is too conservative. Jay Mays has been given a new assignment as VP of Creativity? And sent to Europe. From the conversation I have had with a good friend in Ford styling, the car will change the front and rear 10". The styling will be more aggressive. Look for the new grill used on the Fusion, lower front and rear fascia, wheel style changes, a new V6 3.5L 4V all aluminum engine. They will have a 3.7L 4V forged internals engine that will be used by Mazda and a 4.0L 4V used in larger vehicles based on that platform.

I think this is a great car with a lot of good characteristics. I personnally think this is th SLEEPER OF THE YEAR. Intercooled Supercharged V6 with ALL WHEEL DRIVE. Can you say "American version of the Mitsubishi Evo or Subaru WRX?" If you want to see what Ford Design and Trilogy think of a design concept, log on to our Trilogy Motorsports web site and watch the Ford 500 that rotates through our home page. This should give you some idea of where we, Ford Deign and Trilogy, think the car should go.

This is one of the Project Cars Trilogy has asked Ford for this year. If we get our way, you could see this car at SEMA later this year. Stay tuned. We like the car and want to work on it as a project car.

The Hurricane V8 has been resurrected to take on the HEMI and the GM LS1. I like the changes I see Mark Fields making. Ford should kick some a$$ and make good looking cars again.

Jerry

Well Jerry that one sounds like it will compete with the Mazdaspeed6.

I too agree the car is a good size,I like it for that,but too soft EVERYWHERE.
Ford and Mercury need a Mid size,and maybe a full size,performance sedan that is aggressive in style and performance.
Target: 300hp to the wheels,Under 3600lb curb weight,agressive styling without add on wings and scoops that serve no purpose below 150mph,good seats,Big powerful maybe over engineered brakes (150mph to 0 20 times with no fade,60 to0 in 120ft)
Good gear spreads for 30-120mph performance driving and a cruise gear to hit the target 30+mpg.
Thats all I want,and don't forget under $30,000.

Yup that the ticket.
l