PDA

View Full Version : Lost a friend - lost my dad

Marawder
04-10-2006, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't normally do this, but since I'd been on the board before, wanted to share this with you.

On Saturday April 8, 2006 my father passed away in his sleep at the age of 82. I just saw him on Friday, so at least I had that going. Funny, but I saw more of him in the last month or two going for lunches than I had in the previous 6 months combined. I had the chance to take him for rides in the Marauder before that was sold a few weeks ago.

Just one of those things you never quite expect, but I'm glad he got to meet my kids (4 year old boy and 18-month ond girl), being his only son (he has 5 other grandkids through my two sisters). Thankfully we have lots of pictures, video footage, and just plain old memories to keep him around for years to come.

Thanks for the opportunity to share this with you all. Take care.

Smokie
04-10-2006, 08:25 AM
It hurts...I know. Give God thanks for the 82 years. Spend time with your kids, we only get this ride once.

mcb26
04-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Funny how things work out. When my mom passed away unexpectedly a few years ago, for they last few months I saw her and talked to her more than I had in years. Each time I left she hugged me like it was the last time she would ever see me.
May they rest in peace.

Ross
04-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. It is wonderful that you had him for so long.

BAD MERC
04-10-2006, 08:58 AM
I lost my father to cancer on 9/28/04. I was there when he took his last breath at home- with the whole family. I have memories that still make me laugh. I am wrecked since his passing and I will probably never recover.

1 Bad Merc
04-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

MarauderMark
04-10-2006, 09:16 AM
It hurts...I know. Give God thanks for the 82 years. Spend time with your kids, we only get this ride once.
I dont know what i would do..I do feel your pain and my condolences to you and your family

fastblackmerc
04-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Sorry to hear of your lose, my condolences to you and your loved ones.

Bluerauder
04-10-2006, 12:00 PM
On Saturday April 8, 2006 my father passed away in his sleep at the age of 82.
My condolences to you and your family at this difficult time. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

I lost my Dad 14 years ago in September 1992. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him and what he taught me.

Breadfan
04-10-2006, 12:13 PM
My condolences go out to you and your family in this difficult time. It is wonderful you had your father for so long and had such a good connection with him - in sadness there is still light in that his memory and influence on you and your family will live on forever.

KillJoy
04-10-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. At least you spent time with him at the end, and have fond memories to last forever.

KillJoy

the_pack_rat
04-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Just yesterday(the 9th) marked the 9th year without my father.

hitchhiker
04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Best Regards,

Dave

jgc61sr2002
04-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Sorry about your loss.

Big House
04-10-2006, 05:29 PM
I lost my father 7 years ago July 11th. I miss him daily but I never forget the great times and even greater lessons. Just remember in his passing, "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord." God bless you during this time and PM if you need someone to talk to.

William

BAD MERC
04-10-2006, 06:05 PM
I had mentioned earlier that I lost my father in 2004. I really am sorry for your loss. I can relate. You lost something that can never be replaced, as did I. My father was 62 and worked every day of his life until he was too sick to work (cancer) and never had a chance to retire. My father ALWAYS talked of having a Monte Carlo SS or Impala SS. He was a bowtie guy and wanted something that would freely paint black stripes on the pavement. He liked big, cushy rides with pillowy seats and I get comfort every time I palm the keys to my Marauder that just maybe he is by my side with both thumbs up smiling in total agreement that I took the opportunity to fullfill his fantasy muscle-car dreams. He would definitely approve of these fine, powerful machines. I love you and miss you Dad!!

sweetair
04-10-2006, 08:28 PM
It is in times like these that one needs to look at the "celebration", of their loved ones life, and be thankful for the memories. A prayer has been said for you and your family.

FastMerc
04-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss,you were blessed with a long life together.:)

seans
04-11-2006, 05:30 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. My father is in his 80's and in poor health. I dread the day when I have to experience what you are. God bless you and your family.

Dr Caleb
04-11-2006, 07:39 AM
I am sorry for your loss. It's difficult losing a parent. It's been 11 years since I lost my best friend, my Dad. And next week, it'll be 4 years since I lost my Mom.

It's tough, but the only consolation is; I know they are in a better place and no longer in pain. I still 'hear' their guidance too, which helps. It's good to know that what they taught me still survives.

I'm not going to tell you you'll get past it, because you won't. But it will get easier, especially when you discover that the good times are really what stick out in your memories.

"All say, `how hard it is that we have to die' - a strange complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live." Mark Twain.

King Fubar
04-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Sorry for your loss.....It's been 2 yrs for me. It gets hard sometimes but it'll get better. You have our condolences.

SergntMac
04-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Dude...You haven't lost your father, or, your best friend. He just has a different address now, and that address is inside your heart.

He'll be closer now, with you every minute of your life from now on. All you will have to do to speak with him, or hear him speak now, is close your eyes and...Talk.

My daddy changed addresses back in '82, but I never lost track of him, he never left my home. He is with me everyday, sometimes shouting "STUPID!, WTF are you thinking?" at me, sometimes ROTFLHAO, and yes, he knows what this means, trust me.

My Dad is so with me, I have become him in many ways. Though I cannot shake his hand, or, hug him anymore, everytime that I do shake hands, or share a hug with someone, it's because my dad taught me how important this contact really is.

Your dad isn't gone, my friend. He's beside you now, and always.

LOL...Let him open the "occupant" mail, you open the "resident". Works for me, and him.

Take care, be safe.

JMan
04-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Dude...You haven't lost your father, or, your best friend. He just has a different address now, and that address is inside your heart.

He'll be closer now, with you every minute of your life from now on. All you will have to do to speak with him, or hear him speak now, is close your eyes and...Talk.

My daddy changed addresses back in '82, but I never lost track of him, he never left my home. He is with me everyday, sometimes shouting "STUPID!, WTF are you thinking?" at me, sometimes ROTFLHAO, and yes, he knows what this means, trust me.

My Dad is so with me, I have become him in many ways. Though I cannot shake his hand, or, hug him anymore, everytime that I do shake hands, or share a hug with someone, it's because my dad taught me how important this contact really is.

Your dad isn't gone, my friend. He's beside you now, and always.

LOL...Let him open the "occupant" mail, you open the "resident". Works for me, and him.

Take care, be safe.

Wow,
I'm speechless. Great words Mac. God bless Marawder.

J

Dr Caleb
04-12-2006, 07:04 AM
^^^ what he said, Sarge. I still hear Mom telling me to clean up my room. (And I still don't listen) :)