PDA

View Full Version : Saw a new '06 Charger today

Svashtar
04-10-2006, 06:18 PM
I was at the light and this guy pulled up next to me. Only a minute to check out the car, but he was slightly in front and to the right but I got a good look. Don't know anything about these but it moved like it had a manual tranny. The engine sound was awesome, and my window was rolled up. The car styling was obviously based on the Chrysler 300 with those smaller greenhouse windows, which I don't care for, but I have to say the rest of the car was awesome.

Funny how things change. I remember when 18" rims were the rage. Now everyone and their brother has 20" rims now, and I'm sure these were as well. The rims looked great, and there were bright red calipers on each of the rotors. I think it had a spoiler but can't recall. Paint looked good.

I pulled forward and got a look at the front end. Hood scoop, and a mean looking grill opening. The whole car blew me away frankly.

I love my MM, but if I had had a choice for both cars 2 years ago I'm not sure what I would have taken.

Ironically, I didn't get my MM, my first real performance type car until I was 48 yo. Hell, was so broke I didn't even _own_ a car until I was 26!

My 21 year old son just got his first police job, and is making pretty good money now for a guy his age. His first purchase is going to be a new black Charger. :confused: :D

Don't know whether to be happy for him or pissed at him! :shake: ;)

I plan on keeping my MM for a good long while, but these new Chargers are pretty nice. I know there are several variations, but have to assume this was the higher end one performance wise.

Any idea of the displacment and HP on one of these?

Thanks,

Norm

bugsys03
04-10-2006, 06:26 PM
The 6.1 Litre SRT8 is the only version that has a hood scoop,red calipers, and 20" wheels. 425HP and it does have a spoiler too:)

Marauder2005
04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
The 6.1 Litre SRT8 is the only version that has a hood scoop,red calipers, and 20" wheels. 425HP and it does have a spoiler too:)

This is a nice car, if I was going to trade this would be my new beast :)

Blackened300a
04-10-2006, 07:11 PM
On Saturday when I was at a Dyno meet, the tuner said he had a Charger SRT-8 come in for a dyno run and put out 369 RWHP.

Quite impressive

marauder307
04-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I plan on keeping my MM for a good long while, but these new Chargers are pretty nice. I know there are several variations, but have to assume this was the higher end one performance wise.

Thanks,

Norm

You're right. It is the high end.

As far as displacement/hp, depends on the trim level. SE/SXTs get the 3.5L V-6 with 250 hp, not sure of the torque. The R/T gets the 5.7L with 340 hp/390 lb-ft of torque. The R/T with the Road & Track package and the Daytona R/Ts (the ones with the limited production high-impact color schemes) get the same 5.7L, but they get the factory cat-back system which gives them 350hp/390 lb-ft of torque. And the BIG humma-jumma, the SRT-8, gets the 6.1L, 370 c.i.d., 425 hp and I have no idea on the torque.

Let's just say it's a lot. I think some of the SRT-8 owners have been eyeballing the California redwood trees and thinking, "Y'know, I could pull that out...."

Check out www.chargerforums.com for more info...just be ready for a frosty response; some of those guys tend to look down their noses at us old-school musclecar types...

bigslim
04-10-2006, 08:35 PM
There are a lot of R/T's running around with the SRT-8 hoods now. A keen eye can still spot the differences.

cgm9999
04-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Yep, those SRT-8s are pretty damn quick. I just wish the Chargers weren't so damn ugly. I'd gladly take a black SRT-8 Magnum for a daily driver. That is, after a Trilogied Marauder.:)

mpearce
04-11-2006, 05:15 AM
All of the SRT-8 products have a ton of balls. My favorite is the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee. Besides the Viper, the only SRT-8 product faster than the Grand Cherokee is the SRT-8 Charger. Aparently, the Grand Cherokees 1/4 mile times are fantastic, and the 60'ts are awesome because it's all wheel drive. I heard high 12's off the showroom? Slim is right...there are regular R/T's in Cleveland running around with SRT-8 hoods also.

-Mat

bigslim
04-11-2006, 08:10 AM
All of the SRT-8 products have a ton of balls. My favorite is the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee. Besides the Viper, the only SRT-8 product faster than the Grand Cherokee is the SRT-8 Charger. Aparently, the Grand Cherokees 1/4 mile times are fantastic, and the 60'ts are awesome because it's all wheel drive. I heard high 12's off the showroom? Slim is right...there are regular R/T's in Cleveland running around with SRT-8 hoods also.

-Mat
Matt, I have been on the LX/ 300C/ Charger forums for a while.It seems that the 300C SRT-8 is turning out to be the fastest of all of them. No one knows why since they all are running the same powertrain. The Jeep does have the best 60' foot times of any of them. The 300's have turned stock times as low as 12.7 in the 1/4 mile.

metroplex
04-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I heard DCX puts in a torque limiter for the 1-2 shift so it doesnt blow the trans.

Lone_Star
04-11-2006, 11:20 AM
nice looking car

hitchhiker
04-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I was at the light and this guy pulled up next to me. Only a minute to check out the car, but he was slightly in front and to the right but I got a good look. Don't know anything about these but it moved like it had a manual tranny. The engine sound was awesome, and my window was rolled up. The car styling was obviously based on the Chrysler 300 with those smaller greenhouse windows, which I don't care for, but I have to say the rest of the car was awesome.

Funny how things change. I remember when 18" rims were the rage. Now everyone and their brother has 20" rims now, and I'm sure these were as well. The rims looked great, and there were bright red calipers on each of the rotors. I think it had a spoiler but can't recall. Paint looked good.

I pulled forward and got a look at the front end. Hood scoop, and a mean looking grill opening. The whole car blew me away frankly.

I love my MM, but if I had had a choice for both cars 2 years ago I'm not sure what I would have taken.

Ironically, I didn't get my MM, my first real performance type car until I was 48 yo. Hell, was so broke I didn't even _own_ a car until I was 26!

My 21 year old son just got his first police job, and is making pretty good money now for a guy his age. His first purchase is going to be a new black Charger. :confused: :D

Don't know whether to be happy for him or pissed at him! :shake: ;)

Thanks,

Norm

What's Up?

Haven't heard much from you since you got your mods done.

Don't feel bad about the Srt-8's.

They will never have the class that a Marauder has!

:D

bugsys03
04-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Matt, I have been on the LX/ 300C/ Charger forums for a while.It seems that the 300C SRT-8 is turning out to be the fastest of all of them. No one knows why since they all are running the same powertrain. The Jeep does have the best 60' foot times of any of them. The 300's have turned stock times as low as 12.7 in the 1/4 mile.

The Jeep actually puts out 5 HP less with the exhaust system that it has. The 60' times are awesome because of the all wheel drive AND 3.70 gear(versus 3.08 in the C). They will pull the C out of the hole, but its not really close in the 1/4

BADMERC
04-11-2006, 03:39 PM
They have BIG Brembo brakes. The MM still looks better.

metroplex
04-12-2006, 03:58 AM
The 5.7/6.1 sedans outhandle, outbrake, and outrun the current MY CVPI.
However, the fact the the engine is torque limited to prevent trans failure raises a few flags. If they have an optional manual transmission, it'd be kick a$$. Even the Pontiac G6 GTP has a 6 speed manual.

TripleTransAm
04-12-2006, 08:14 AM
I believe all modern drivetrains are torque limited at upshifts. Fords have been doing this since the very early early 90s.

Now that aftermarket tunes are showing up for the Chryslers, we'll have to keep an eye on how many transmissions are going to be failing.
(not that we have anything to be proud of, with transmissions that can't be floored out of overdrive without fear of killing it, with stock tunes)

Svashtar
04-26-2006, 02:20 PM
What's Up?

Haven't heard much from you since you got your mods done.

Don't feel bad about the Srt-8's.

They will never have the class that a Marauder has!

:D
Hey David!

Yeah, there's always something newer coming along! I have too much work into my MM to ever let it go anytime soon.

I haven't been around much, been working and then lost my job. I have a bunch of mods done as you say, but still have way more to install. On my garage floor for the past year from Dennis waiting to be installed "when I get the money" is a PI 3000 stall, DR's cooling mod, DR's tranny upgrade kit from Art Carr with pan, a Meziere water pump, and the underbody lighting kit that Shakes put together for us. (I have to just bite the bullet and try to figure out how to wire that in myself. At least a couple of guys offered to help me over the phone.)

Last thing I did last summer was a PHP box and metco CF tube, which took some tweaking to pair together. I also inastalled the CM UHI which turned out great despite my thumb fingered attempts to get it cut right around the corners. Super sticky spray glue covered all my mistakes.

Hope to get some of the new floor mats from Car Motorsports soon. I also wanted to get in on that Accufab TB group buy, but just can't spare the bread right now.

Anyway, other than a new wiper/lighting control module, and new radio, everything is still working great. Air bag light came on for two weeks, and the tech traced it to a loose connection behind the OP/Voltmeter cluster. I kind of neglected to mention I had been in there a few months before installing new Autometer gauges. :o

Regards,

Norm

Donny Carlson
04-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I got a good look at a silver Charger SRT8 the other day.... and though I am not especially in lust for the grille design, the rest of the car is awesome. It spoke to me... (trade in that Chevy.... buy me.....). Not for $10K over sticker, you harlot!

The local Caddy dealer had a new STS-V parked in "the breezeway" which is a special show room with garage doors on either side so you can slip out for a test drive easily. I couldn't drive it because it was sold, but, shee-yuut, that is one heckuva car. It's Marauder sized or bigger inside, about the same outside, stuffed one end to the other with luxury items and cool technological toys. Black. I love the special V-series grille. I want one. They have another coming into inventory next week, sticker is $69K Ouch!

http://www.autoextremist.com/NAIAS2005/Cadillac/CadillacSTSV.jpg

Dark_Knight7096
04-27-2006, 08:39 PM
I LOVE the Cadillac Vs!

But at any rate, here's my plan:
I'm going to win the Mega Millions (very soon too, I might add), then I'm going to go to Dodge, not a dealer, the company or one of it's assembly plants, direct to the source you know. And as well all know money talks, I'm going to ask my large sum of cash to ask the engineers and builders for a coupe version of the charger. Then it's going to tell them that they now make the Charger in SRT-10 trim with the same 6speed as in the Viper and Ram, then I'm going to have a custom paint job and horn work done, something along the lines of, oooohhh I don't know, maybe:
http://idiotsyncrasies.com/uploaded_images/GeneralLee-747259.jpg

But mine would definately have the stars and bars on the roof! Man, I have too much daydreaming time. lol