PDA

View Full Version : MYT Engine - this is cool (MYT=massive yet tiny)

Breadfan
04-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Check out this new engine design, maximizes power and CU-IN in a compact and powerful design.

Check out this site: http://www.plug2work.com/angellabsllc/index.html

Gonna look more into this tonight, it sounds quite interesting, curious how it works, why it works, and if it's for real.

Reminds me of a mix of a Wankel rotary and an old aircraft style piston-rotary merged together.

Dr Caleb
04-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Reminds me of a Jackalope.

No details, no real pictures or diagrams, no nothing.

mtnh
04-12-2006, 07:16 AM
If you read the patent .pdf file, there are diagrams. Particularly interesting is the linkage that works the "pistons" behind the scenes to develop the intake, compression and power strokes. Did you catch the animation showing the internal cycles? How about the test run movie? I'm still not sure about that thing, as in whether it can be built to withstand the rigors expected of engine service, but if it turns out to actually work, and be mass-produced, it surely will be revolutionary.

Warpath
04-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Rotary engines (e.g. Mazda) are more efficient than piston engines. They also have fewer parts which means less to go wrong and lighter. However, they are not produced in large volumes which makes their cost higher. OEMs tend to stick with the tried-and-true. So, if this engine is all that it's promoted to be, I think it will take a long time before its widely accepted.

magindat
04-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Rotary engines (e.g. Mazda) are more efficient than piston engines. They also have fewer parts which means less to go wrong and lighter. However, they are not produced in large volumes which makes their cost higher. OEMs tend to stick with the tried-and-true. So, if this engine is all that it's promoted to be, I think it will take a long time before its widely accepted.

Rotaries fire 3 times every 2 revolutions. Piston engines fire 2 times every 2 revolutions. There's your increased efficiency. This motor fires 32 times every 2 revolutions. Wow!

The problem with rotary is dwell time after combustion. It's tough to make them meet emissions standards cuz they don't burn all the fuel. Doing what's needed to make them emission compliant is what killed development and made them cost prohibitive to produce.

This motor (if real) has an incredibly long dwell time, thus fully combusting everything in the chamber. Therefore, it should have perfect emissions to begin with.

An interesting read. I hope it works. Should be cheap due to grass-roots type rather than corporate development and their explanation on ease of manufacture.

Breadfan
04-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Reminds me of a Jackalope.

No details, no real pictures or diagrams, no nothing.

I am curious about this - whether or not this is too good to be true. Will be interesting to see what more information comes about. I heard there are other sources developing this type of engine, but only seen the Angel labs version. I may research more time permitting as I find it interesting.

Warpath
04-13-2006, 09:10 AM
...The problem with rotary is dwell time after combustion. It's tough to make them meet emissions standards cuz they don't burn all the fuel. Doing what's needed to make them emission compliant is what killed development and made them cost prohibitive to produce...

Ah, yes. I forgot about that. I knew there was some other disadvantage. But, I couldn't remember it.