PDA

View Full Version : Any Canadians Want to Explain This?

dwasson
04-11-2006, 04:42 PM
http://www.thestar.com/images/thestar/img/060411_bikers_cop_cars_gal.jpg

How long has the OPP been driving Beetles?

fast Ed
04-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I think they must use them for community work, local stuff maybe. Never seen one on the highways yet. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

KillJoy
04-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Awwwwwww....... how cute :D

KillJoy

Tallboy
04-11-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm down with O.P.P. [yeah, you know me...]

TripleTransAm
04-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Nothing scares off bands of criminal bikers quite like a little white VW.

I think the OPP had a Camaro Z28 a few years back that they kept stuffing into the guardrails every few months... maybe this was punishment for whoever kept wrecking the Z.

Cheeseheadbob
04-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I guess the officer who came in late to roll call gets this detail! Not to be outdone, the Baltimore PD has modified golf carts to patrol the Inner Harbor (tourist area). Nothing evokes confidence like a fully armed police officer in a golf cart!:shake:

dwasson
04-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Except those cops on bicycles.

Cheeseheadbob
04-11-2006, 06:30 PM
At least they get to wear those sexy bicycle shorts!!!
Except those cops on bicycles.

STLR FN
04-11-2006, 06:34 PM
At least they get to wear those sexy bicycle shorts!!!Why are you looking at them and calling the bicycle shorts sexy? :eek:

Cheeseheadbob
04-11-2006, 06:41 PM
It's better than asking them, "is that a 9mm in your holster, or are you happy to see me?":rolleyes:
Why are you looking at them and calling the bicycle shorts sexy? :eek:

alarmguy
04-11-2006, 07:50 PM
I think they should go with black and whites like the geek squad drives.

Sully008
04-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Around here, the City police have CVs and Impalas. I have seen an RCMP Volvo 850 doing Radar out on the west side of the city a couple of times. No Bugs though. But I think our Parking Patrol might be using those friggin Smart cars now.

Dr Caleb
04-12-2006, 07:22 AM
Hehehe. Actually, the EPS and RCMP here have all sorts of cars. It's to get a better impression with the young'uns, and to catch people being naughty.

The also have a Hyundai Tiburon:

http://www.centerforce.com/sponsored.tpl?subsection=detai ls&cart=11372275522558&title=Edmonton%20Police%20Depa rtment

They have a '66 (?) Nova that they run as a 1/4 mile >10 second car. They'll also show up a various "show and shines" or just around town and give kids with hopped up cars free tickets to the local drag strip. The message being - keep the racing off the streets, save it for the track where it belongs. I used to have pics of that Nova in my gallery :(

I've seen 'ghost' cars ranging from those Beetles, to Cadillacs, to F-150 Lightnings. It doesn't pay to be a speed demon, because any car in the crowd can be a 'ghost'.

Sully008
04-12-2006, 07:25 AM
I wish Winnipeg would do something like that here. Get caught street racing, lose your ride and it becomes part of the squad. Would sure tame alot of crap going on here on Sunday nights.

Lone_Star
04-12-2006, 07:42 AM
I think New York City was doing this with confiscated race cars. You get caught racing, your car gets impounded and used as a cop car.

Dr Caleb
04-12-2006, 07:50 AM
I wish Winnipeg would do something like that here. Get caught street racing, lose your ride and it becomes part of the squad.

That happens here too. That's why that Porsche that wants to race you can be a cop. But they'd rather go to schools and such and hand out free tickets to race your car down the 1/4, rather than peel some young kid off the pavement.

It happens far too often here, something like 50 speed related deaths of people last year. Motorcycles, pedestrians.

http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/article.cfm?id=6039

One guy in a Corvette mowed down a lady in a crosswalk. It's just out of hand.

In another, a 5 ton truck rear ended a parked police cruiser, killing the officer. You can see what's left of his CV in these articles.

http://www.cbc.ca/calgary/story/ca-rcmp-fatal20050705.html
http://www.pipestoneflyer.com/archives/071305/index.htm
http://www.wcnpa.ca/clips/pom/pom_jul/snw/ppages/ppage4.htm

TripleTransAm
04-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Hehehe. Actually, the EPS and RCMP here have all sorts of cars. It's to get a better impression with the young'uns, and to catch people being naughty.

On my cross-Canada drive back in late 2000, I spotted quite a few RCMP Camaro Z28s on the road. Now that's a pursuit vehicle: pick it up off any showroom, remove the speed limiter via tuning, slap some official decals on it and go hunting for anything up to your 170+ top speed. Pick up some cheap go-fast goodies and start piling on the hp.

grampaws
04-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Nothing scares off bands of criminal bikers quite like a little white VW.

I think the OPP had a Camaro Z28 a few years back that they kept stuffing into the guardrails every few months... maybe this was punishment for whoever kept wrecking the Z.

It got written of three years ago on Hwy 400--Never got replaced..
OPP don't drive V dub's its a local PD unit...CV's SUV's and Impalas..
some relly nice unmarked ones too..

jgc61sr2002
04-12-2006, 03:53 PM
I think New York City was doing this with confiscated race cars. You get caught racing, your car gets impounded and used as a cop car.

NYPD will impound your vehicle if you are caught street racing.

They have a 500HP Mustang that was impounded , repainted NYPD colors and is used by Highwat Patrol # 3 in Queens.

RF Overlord
04-12-2006, 04:14 PM
I think they should go with black and whites like the geek squad drives.:hijack: In the summer of 2005, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) requested that the Geek Squad cars be repainted to no longer resemble police cars. Best Buy and the CHP worked together to eliminate all similarities between paint jobs, even though no police precincts in California drive Volkswagen Beetles. The new paint job for Geek Squad cars in California is now all black with a white roof and running board. :rolleyes:

TripleTransAm
04-12-2006, 05:37 PM
It got written of three years ago on Hwy 400--Never got replaced..

Three years ago... I am recalling an incident a bit earlier than that, I think, maybe 2001 or 2002?... it was on the Don Valley Parkway (which is something like hwy 404 or 402 or something?). The excuse at the time: "trying to avoid a raccoon".

LOL!

seans
04-13-2006, 06:12 AM
They use the VW bugs with roof racks in Progresso Mexico too. My wife and I were there when I saw one drive by as I was waiting for her to come out of a shop. I laughed when I saw it and unfortunately there were about six plain clothes cops coming out of the store behind me. They were all carrying automatic rifles and each of them hit me with a shoulder or elbow as they walked by. I'm lucky that they didn't take me for a ride in one of their VW cruisers.:)