PDA

View Full Version : Was not alloed to drive car

bigslim
04-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Today I went to a local dealer here the Metro Detroit area to test drive a SRT-8 300C. The sale manager there said that I could not drive one because they are a "Specialty Car". He said that they don't even let the salepeople drive them. I then contacted another dealer that I have done business with and said that he would let drive one only because I had purchased a car from them before.

My question is "how is a person suppose to know if they like a car without driving one?" I can understand the car being a Specialty Car" but it is still a $40,000 to $45,000 car. I can go right down the street to a Lexus or Jaguar dealer and drive a $60,000 to $75,000 car with no problem.

I guess this is why the foreign car dealer networks are kicking our aZZes.

BTW, I contacted Chrysler Customer service about this.

KillJoy
04-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Most will let you drive, but you pretty much have to sign the paperwork before they will let you.

Same w/ Z06's....

KillJoy

jstevens
04-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Were you in the MM? Bunch of bs if you ask me. Sounds like they need to smell rubber!

Blackened300a
04-14-2006, 01:58 PM
My Co-worker test drove a Charger SRT-8 in upstate NY. A Salesman went with him and actually urged him to beat on the car.
They must have a lot of tire kickers over by you and that was the reason for the hassle.

Mr Johnson
04-14-2006, 02:39 PM
The local dealer by me had about 6 in stock and didn't hesitate to hand me the keys and encourage me to "drive it for a while". I fully expected a hassle and an :argue: so I was very surprised.

BTW: The SRT8 is :pimp:

martyo
04-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Want me to sue them for you?

bryanthomas
04-14-2006, 02:45 PM
My question is "how is a person suppose to know if they like a car without driving one?" I can understand the car being a Specialty Car" but it is still a $40,000 to $45,000 car. I can go right down the street to a Lexus or Jaguar dealer and drive a $60,000 to $75,000 car with no problem.

Yeah, I've never understood that myself. My local BMW dealership will let me drive anything on the lot, before I bought my S2000 the Honda dealership let me drive which ever one I wanted to, and I have even had the opportunity to drive a Saleen Mustang at one dealership. I just don't understand some of this BS. With a Z06 I can some what understand, but the SRT-8 300C is not quite as big a deal.

jefferson-mo
04-14-2006, 02:50 PM
When I picked up the Magnum there was a BEEEEE-UUUtiful Silver SRT-8 MAg in the showroom with a hand written sign that said 'no test drive unless purchasing"

So I guess you don't get one unless you want one...............

Donny Carlson
04-14-2006, 04:45 PM
When I picked up the Magnum there was a BEEEEE-UUUtiful Silver SRT-8 MAg in the showroom with a hand written sign that said 'no test drive unless purchasing"

Somebody needs to print up a T shirt that says "no purchasing unless test drive"

Rider90
04-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Walk in and work out the numbers, sound very pleased, and let them know you need the night to make a decision. Tell them you would also like to take the feeling of a test drive into your thoughts...

Any dealer that refuses a test drive after that is a fool.

DarthMarauder
04-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Just be glad you arent down my way slim they won't even let you test drive a used one. Said you had to be approved and signed before you could drive her. Its was also a 300C SRT-8

mpearce
04-14-2006, 06:58 PM
At the Cleveland Auto show I saw all of Dodges SRT line up. I asked when the SRT Grand Cherokee would be at dealers because I'd like to take it for a ride. The Dodge rep told me I wouldn't be able to drive one because the people who buy them don't want any miles on them before they buy it. So basically, if someone drives one, they fear they won't be able to sell it because of all the miles. Now think of your MM...you trired to buy the lowest mile one they had, right? I did. I didn't want one that someone had gone out and beat on.

-Mat

94_302
04-14-2006, 07:18 PM
That is messed up, I stopped at a dealership just to pick up some literature on the SRT-8's. The dealer had a magnum, charger, and 300c version. I was pressed for time so I did not take one, but they were willing to let me. Find a new dealer, I have also had a dealer say that It would not be possible to test drive a Lightning because it is a limited vehicle and that they would need a deposit. The best dealers imo are the ones that allow you to test drive the car and the salesman encourage you to push the limits of the car so you can see what its capable of.

But then again I can understand that they don't want something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1K4Ry8zs0Y&search=cobra%20test%20drive) (WW LANGUAGE)to happen. I heard it was all staged and also that he ended up buying the car.

BlackHole
04-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Well I didn't get to drive the L when I bought it. So SRT is now just SVT with a different hood logo. Thanks Bill you really know how to make things not happen.:shake: Keep talking with the bean counters they have all the answers. I never seen a company that had everyone against the ropes performance wise just let it go away as Ford has done.:mad2: :mad2:
Thats all right I vote with my wallet and right now Ford isn't even close to getting anything from it.

grampaws
04-14-2006, 10:22 PM
When I bought the MM the salesman said "giv'er Hell"
SOLD!:D

bigslim
04-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Want me to sue them for you?
Yes, let's go get them. :help:

bigslim
04-14-2006, 10:30 PM
At the Cleveland Auto show I saw all of Dodges SRT line up. I asked when the SRT Grand Cherokee would be at dealers because I'd like to take it for a ride. The Dodge rep told me I wouldn't be able to drive one because the people who buy them don't want any miles on them before they buy it. So basically, if someone drives one, they fear they won't be able to sell it because of all the miles. Now think of your MM...you trired to buy the lowest mile one they had, right? I did. I didn't want one that someone had gone out and beat on.

-Mat
This dealer had one SRT-8 Jeep and it was sitting in the showroom. Now I ask what is better, a car sitting on the showroom floor getting sat in and dirty and scratched or a car going out for a test drive to a potential customer?

the_pack_rat
04-14-2006, 10:36 PM
They expect you to buy something without driving it ?!?!?!?.

Screw that ...

They can kiss my differential.

Pat
04-15-2006, 06:51 AM
When I bought my MM the salesman rode with the wife and I and after a few blocks he said, "c'mon Mr. Kirkes, get this baby going".

bagpiper
04-15-2006, 07:11 AM
I went to a dealership and wanted to drive a cts-v said i was thinking on trading my Marauder.The dealer told they do not let anybody test drive them and they can not drive them.the car had 7 miles on it and any one who was going to buy it already knows what they want.

jstevens
04-15-2006, 03:00 PM
I think the problem is a lot of dealers just don't understand some of the power our MM's are pushing. They don't want some idiot going nuts with the car.

This is where a friendly display may prove beneficial.

captJ696
04-15-2006, 04:25 PM
The Dodge rep told me I wouldn't be able to drive one because the people who buy them don't want any miles on them before they buy it. So basically, if someone drives one, they fear they won't be able to sell it because of all the miles. Now think of your MM...you trired to buy the lowest mile one they had, right? I did. I didn't want one that someone had gone out and beat on.

-Mat

Yeah, just wait for Dodge Challenger hit dealer showrooms in two years.....:baaa: :baaa: :nono: :argue:

03MERCMARAUDER
04-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Have had this happen many times. When I went to go get a lightning a couple years ago I went to a dealership here in town. Told them I am here to buy one of your lightnings,worked the numbers and then told them I wanted to test drive it first, immediate problem. They wouldnt let me test drive the truck at all so I told them to enjoy the truck and I will go elsewhere. Made a call to jack Demmer Ford in michigan, ordered my truck and when i went up there to pick it up they threw me the keys to one and told me to take it for awhile to make sure i would be happy with the truck. Went back and signed the papers for my new truck. A year later was up there for a visit and stopped by the dealer to look at a cobra, they had no problems letting me take it for a drive. The chrysler dealer in town here is the same with there SRT's, they have all of them on the show room floor and wont even let anyone sit in them unless they fill out a credit app. Rediculous if you ask me

Joe

STLR FN
04-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Have had this happen many times. When I went to go get a lightning a couple years ago I went to a dealership here in town. Told them I am here to buy one of your lightnings,worked the numbers and then told them I wanted to test drive it first, immediate problem. They wouldnt let me test drive the truck at all so I told them to enjoy the truck and I will go elsewhere. Made a call to jack Demmer Ford in michigan, ordered my truck and when i went up there to pick it up they threw me the keys to one and told me to take it for awhile to make sure i would be happy with the truck. Went back and signed the papers for my new truck. A year later was up there for a visit and stopped by the dealer to look at a cobra, they had no problems letting me take it for a drive. The chrysler dealer in town here is the same with there SRT's, they have all of them on the show room floor and wont even let anyone sit in them unless they fill out a credit app. Rediculous if you ask me

JoeJack Demmer is good on getting test drives. When the wife and I bought the Marauder our saleman took a copy of my license and sent us on our merry way. "Take it for a long drive." he said "While I go 'beat up' on the boss." So a long drive I did and finished the paperwork when we got back.

Wagonmaster
04-15-2006, 09:13 PM
But then again I can understand that they don't want something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1K4Ry8zs0Y&search=cobra%20test%20drive) (WW LANGUAGE)to happen. I heard it was all staged and also that he ended up buying the car.[/quote]

That video cracks me up! It reminds me of a brand spankin' new black Cobra Mustang I test drove in 1993 at Brien Ford in Everett, Wa. I worked for Boeing at the time and I made sure I was wearing my Boeing ID around my neck when I walked into the dealership. (In Everett, if you work for Boeing your golden because they see $$$ signs) At any rate, I had no intentions on purchasing the car but I wanted to flog on that black beauty with a vengeance. The sales lady rode shotgun and my best friend was in the back. I drove straight to Hardeson Road (New, at the time) where alot of Fri/Sat night street racing was going on. I beat the living tar out of that thing, including TWO full quarter mile passes at full throttle. The sales lady had a death grip on the armrest but she didnt say a word!! You had to be there, but it was hilarious!

I recently did the same thing with a 350Z with the $8k "Track pack" option. I schooled that pimply faced punk salesman with some 118mph runs followed by some detatched retina inducing threshold braking manuevers. I have yet to drive a car that brakes that quickly. I was impressed. Saleman said he had never been that fast in a car. He should take a ride with me in the MM.........Good times..............good times.

GT

Mad4Macs
04-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Bigslim, try this out :D
1) Locate a friendly BMW, Jaguar, or Mercedes dealer that will let you test drive a car.
2) Test drive the most expensive car you can get, but make sure that it's at least 2x the price of the SRT-8
3) Drive it over to the Daimler lot, roll it up to a salesman, then...
4) Ask him again

:lol:

Bowman9
04-16-2006, 10:20 AM
My local chevy dealer was pulling the same ***** when the SSR first came out.
Maybe they are trying to use the "Eric Cartman" brand of advertising.
"So much to do at Cartmanland, but you can't come!"