PDA

View Full Version : I finally found my project car!!!!!

Warpath
04-14-2006, 09:56 PM
I've posted before that I've been looking for a second project car for a little while now. I've been looking for a 60-70s vehicle to customize. More specifically, I wanted a Lincoln Continental Mark III. I found a 1970 Mark III in Northern Ohio. Long story short, the owner is 79 and seemed desperate to sell. He looked like he was going to cry when he heard my offer which was less than 1/2 of what he was hoping to get.

There appears to be very little rust. The doors, hood, and trunk lid are immaculate. There are several mechanical problems. Its no surprise with at least 113k miles on it and being 36 years old. The interior is OK. It shows better in pictures. After the buyer's regret wore off, I think I got a fair deal and I'm really excited now. I've already started taking it apart.

Its funny what this car does to me. After getting a feeling for the steering, handling, and brakes, I thought I could drive it normally. However, I kept slowing down. It seems like this car doesn't want to go fast. :)

You can see most of the pictures I took in the link below. The interior is dirty and does show better in pictures. I've updated my sig too. I guess I'll have to update my avatar. Needless to say, I'll be really busy with two projects. As a result, I won't be posting much here anymore.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2325006

Rider90
04-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Man that looks comfortable. Good choice!

dwasson
04-14-2006, 10:17 PM
That is a sharp car. You'll look good cruising down the road in the big ole Lincoln.

Anytime I've had a chance to drive an example of a car that I owned in the past, I have the same feeling about wanting to slow down. Then I think about how I drove that same car back in the day, and the only conclusion I can come to, is that I must have been insane.

the_pack_rat
04-14-2006, 10:30 PM
I've already started taking it apart.

:eek:

Who do you think are you ...

Popeye Doyle ?.

:lol:

Congrats.

:up:

bigslim
04-14-2006, 10:31 PM
I love those old Lincolns. My neighbor had one just like that when I was a kid.

Donny Carlson
04-14-2006, 11:16 PM
I love those old Lincolns. My neighbor had one just like that when I was a kid.

I was carrying another mail route on my day off today, and I saw a white Mark convertible about this vintage. Very neglected and very dirty, sitting under a carport, but looked intact.

There are several cars that appear to be original owner vehicles on various mail routes around the area. Most are owned by elderly persons who no longer drive them, and they sit rotting out in the driveway or under a car port. There's some pretty cool vintage iron, mostly GM.

The best by far is this extremely clean and still being driven Chevy II that made me want to jump out of the truck and run up to the door to tell the owner I'd buy it the moment she wanted to sell it. The USPS frowns on that kind of thing, and I rather expect that she has offers to buy it from lots of car guys.

Big Joe P
04-15-2006, 03:45 AM
It's Cannon's car... Frank Cannon PI.....

JMan
04-15-2006, 05:34 AM
Good Find!
That car is in excellent shape. My uncle had a '69 Continental way back then. Neat car. Looks like someone shoved a sofa in the back seat!

Best luck,

J

Black 04
04-15-2006, 05:52 AM
Great car..I always wanted one, when I seen the French Connection I fell in love with the car..

bryanthomas
04-15-2006, 06:27 AM
I've posted before that I've been looking for a second project car for a little while now. I've been looking for a 60-70s vehicle to customize. More specifically, I wanted a Lincoln Continental Mark III. I found a 1970 Mark III in Northern Ohio. Long story short, the owner is 79 and seemed desperate to sell. He looked like he was going to cry when he heard my offer which was less than 1/2 of what he was hoping to get.

There appears to be very little rust. The doors, hood, and trunk lid are immaculate. There are several mechanical problems. Its no surprise with at least 113k miles on it and being 36 years old. The interior is OK. It shows better in pictures. After the buyer's regret wore off, I think I got a fair deal and I'm really excited now. I've already started taking it apart.

Its funny what this car does to me. After getting a feeling for the steering, handling, and brakes, I thought I could drive it normally. However, I kept slowing down. It seems like this car doesn't want to go fast. :)

You can see most of the pictures I took in the link below. The interior is dirty and does show better in pictures. I've updated my sig too. I guess I'll have to update my avatar. Needless to say, I'll be really busy with two projects. As a result, I won't be posting much here anymore.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2325006

You my friend have excellent choice in cars! And this just goes to show you that all Marauderers are the same; I myself am looking for a clean Mark IV! I'm not picky about the year, however if I could find a '72 with the longer grille that would be awesome! But like I said I will settle for any Mark IV between '72-'76. What ever model I get I plan on restoring it to better than OEM spec. What are your plans for the Mark III?

Hotrauder
04-15-2006, 06:38 AM
Good find. Good luck with it. I had a 2 year old MarkIV as second owner way back when. Wish I still had it, but you know the drill. On to a newer one. Just nuts. Not so young but just as stupid as if I were. Oh well. Dennis:rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
04-15-2006, 08:40 AM
NICE RIDE!! Looks like it is in excellent condition.
I really like that big 'ole Linclon!
"Son your gonna drive me to drinkin' ...if ya don't stop drivin' that HOT ROD LINCOLN!"

BTW: 460 cid Big Blocks can be 'poked and stroked' to 600+ cid....heh heh heh...:D

BigMerc
04-15-2006, 09:11 AM
for those of you who also want a project, not as nice as that one here you go.

http://www.musclecarprojects.com/

bigslim
04-15-2006, 10:02 AM
It's Cannon's car... Frank Cannon PI.....
I remember that show. William Conrad was the sh$t!!

bryanthomas
04-15-2006, 10:44 AM
BTW: 460 cid Big Blocks can be 'poked and stroked' to 600+ cid....heh heh heh...:D

Now this is something I was curious about. What would some options be to "hop up" the factory 460 in a Lincoln Mark III or IV? For such a large engine they were not rated with very much power and I was wondering what could be done to the motor internal wise to beef it up. Cams? Stroker? Or better yet what would be some of the easier ways to free up some power that was simply robbed by emissions? Cats, breather, etc.

While we're on the ubject can some one explain why the Mark III was only rated at 235hp and the Mark IV 212hp? I know this was a time when emissions were becoming more strict but these numbers seem so low. I'm a young buck, so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on "net horsepower" ratings.

Joe Walsh
04-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Now this is something I was curious about. What would some options be to "hop up" the factory 460 in a Lincoln Mark III or IV? For such a large engine they were not rated with very much power and I was wondering what could be done to the motor internal wise to beef it up. Cams? Stroker? Or better yet what would be some of the easier ways to free up some power that was simply robbed by emissions? Cats, breather, etc.

While we're on the ubject can some one explain why the Mark III was only rated at 235hp and the Mark IV 212hp? I know this was a time when emissions were becoming more strict but these numbers seem so low. I'm a young buck, so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on "net horsepower" ratings.

Not to hijack Warpath's thread,
But the 460 Big block had awful OEM cast iron cylinder heads. The OEM bottom end is plenty stout unless you want a bunch more cubes. Then you'll be tearing it all down anyway.
If you want a lot of HP quick, I'd bolt on one of the many aftermarket aluminum cylinder heads available for the '385' engine series along with a matching aluminum intake manifold,
add a cam kit and a set of headers with 2-1/2" dual exhaust and enjoy the 100+ HP increase along with the 200+ Lb weight reduction.

jgc61sr2002
04-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Looks in great condition .:D

bryanthomas
04-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Not to hijack Warpath's thread,
But the 460 Big block had awful OEM cast iron cylinder heads. The OEM bottom end is plenty stout unless you want a bunch more cubes. Then you'll be tearing it all down anyway.
If you want a lot of HP quick, I'd bolt on one of the many aftermarket aluminum cylinder heads available for the '385' engine series along with a matching aluminum intake manifold,
add a cam kit and a set of headers with 2-1/2" dual exhaust and enjoy the 100+ HP increase along with the 200+ Lb weight reduction.

Yeah, didn't mean to hijack it either! Thanks for the info though!

Warpath
04-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Please jack away. Good info. I know nothing about these engines. I want to change heads at least when rebuilding so I don't have to run lead additive. So, any info is helpful.

I've been finding small rust spots here and there now that I've had more time to look it over. But, they appear almost as if I can just sand them out. The paint job is very amature. It looks like a $100 Maaco job. There's overspray on one of the windows, they taped off the trim instead of removing it and didn't do a good job taping it off at that, etc. This may be the 3rd paint job since I see another color on the trim. So, I think I'll be tearing the whole thing down and frame off "restore it."

As far as plans, beside rebuilding the powertrain, I plan to lower it with bags. I'll run 20s up front and 22s in back. I think I'll have to minitub it but I don't want to remove the rear seats. I'll be doing a custom interior. I'm going to remove the vinyl top (a real shame because its a beautiful top). Also, I'll shave the door handles, locks, gas door, and middle trim (not the belt line or rocker trim). This is a long, long term project. I don't have the money or time to finish it in a few years.

I stumbled across a customized Mark III while searching that caught my eye. It made me want to get one. Although, I always liked this style lincoln front end. Its very stately. I like the high belt line and the rear end. This car is different than most of what you see.

BTW, I don't have a MM. I just came here out of curiosity and decided to stay. I'm the thing that wouldn't leave (since we're throwing out old TV references).

bryanthomas
04-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Awesome man... it is so weird that you started this thread because I had a lot of Qs about the 460, but didn't want to open a thread since I havn't even bought my Mark IV yet. Let's keep this thread open and I'll post any 460/385 websites I find! Also, given any thought to crate engines? Other than Ford Racing, where can you get a 460 crate engine? Once again MM.net proves useful :beer:

Warpath
04-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Another mustanger gave me this site:

http://www.460ford.com/

I'm "Thunderchild" on that site. I haven't posted yet. But, I think I will eventually.

I have thought about a crate engine very seriously lately. Ford (FRPP) is the only one I've seen with 460 crate engines. I haven't looked for them. So, I don't know if others exist. I may look at putting in a Lightning crate engine if one exists. I want a low maintanence cruiser and carbs and distributors are too complicated for me (I know that sounds wrong).

In my preliminary research, I was told that 460s are nothing different than other Ford pushrod engines except the parts are bigger, heavier, and more expensive :(.

Feel free to use this thread or start a new one about 460s. I can use all the help I can get.

Joe Walsh
04-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Another mustanger gave me this site:

http://www.460ford.com/

I'm "Thunderchild" on that site. I haven't posted yet. But, I think I will eventually.

I have thought about a crate engine very seriously lately. Ford (FRPP) is the only one I've seen with 460 crate engines. I haven't looked for them. So, I don't know if others exist. I may look at putting in a Lightning crate engine if one exists. I want a low maintanence cruiser and carbs and distributors are too complicated for me (I know that sounds wrong).

In my preliminary research, I was told that 460s are nothing different than other Ford pushrod engines except the parts are bigger, heavier, and more expensive :(.

Feel free to use this thread or start a new one about 460s. I can use all the help I can get.

460s are torque monsters, especially with a set of 'Blue Thunder' aluminum cylinder heads.
FRPP does offer some really nice 460+ crate motors with 'Cobra Jet' aluminum heads.
Adapting a fuel injected/modern engine to an older wiring harness can be done.....but it will be a PITA!

Warpath
04-17-2006, 05:46 PM
I'd also like hydraulic lifters so I don't have to adjust lash and I don't want to have to keep up with points, etc. However, I'll likely drive it 1k-2k miles per year. So, I'd probably do it only once. But, that would still be nagging in the back of my mind. It appears hydraulic lifters are available for 460s. But, they appear to be unreliable. That's why I'm thinking something like Lightning engine. Not only is it easy to keep up. But, its got that added cool factor (to me) to have modern equipment in an old ride. Anyway, I'm just going to try to rebuild the carb and give it a tune up. That's all I can budget for the time being.

DPVLN
04-18-2006, 10:15 AM
You better check the rocker panels on both sides! You may find more than rust.

Warpath
04-18-2006, 08:53 PM
They appear to be OK. What else would I find?