PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter installation question:

BillyGman
04-15-2006, 06:59 PM
I've placed this in this forum since it isn't related to my Marauder, but it can easily apply to Marauders too....

I was told by a friend that it's imperative to fill the converter with fluid as mush as possible before it's installed. My brother is building a 67 Chevelle with a TH350 transmission, and he left the converter bone dry. He won't be even running the engine for awhile yet. Does anyone know if damage can be done to the transmission or the converter by not filling the converter with fluid before the initial start up????

I'll be installing the transmission and converter on my Chevelle within the next few weeks, so that's another reason for my question....this is new ground for me....

Zack
04-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Ive installed converters bone dry before and had no problems. It is likely if you fill the trans with 8 or more quarts and let it sit for a while, fluid will make is way into the converter anyway.

BillyGman
04-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Ive installed converters bone dry before and had no problems. It is likely if you fill the trans with 8 or more quarts and let it sit for a while, fluid will make is way into the converter anyway.Zack, you're one of the board members here who I was hoping would chime in on this, because I know that you've done transmission work on your own cars more than once. Thanks a lot for your reply.:up: