PDA

View Full Version : Drove a SRT-8 Charger

bigslim
04-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, I finally got to drive a SRT-8 product. I went a Dodge dealer today and the salesman made a copy of my licence and told me I had 15 minutes with it. No problem with getting a test drive at this dealer. Here I was just me and a 425hp beast. :drive:

The first I noticed as I entered the car was that everything looked plasticy. Things were put together nice but I could see that there were not the best materials in this car. It looked spartan. Very nice seats though. Some of the best that have ever graced a sedan. A lot of nice creature features. The one I drove had a sunroof. Sticker was $39,500.

Now the good stuff. I waited until I got away from the dealer to romp on it. I will say this car moves. It has a really nice growl out of the tailpipes when you get on it. I got up to 80 in no time. I took a couple of turns and it handles great. The SRT-8 takes the corners really flat. No body roll out of this car. Turn the ESP off and the fun really starts. I also got to use the Auto-Stick and it was a lot of fun. Chrysler really did their homework on the tuning and chassis of these SRT's.

How does it compare to my Marauder? Well, I must say that they feel about the same when it comes to acceleration. I really think that my car can beat one these. The SRT-8 truly out handles the Marauder. The Marauder feels a bit looser. Also, the seats in the SRT really hold you. I think the interior is better finished in the Marauder too. The stock exhaust really does sound good on the SRT. One thing I hated was the view to the rear. A lot of blinds spots. Very hard to back up the SRT-8 Charger do to the short rear side windows, the small rear window and the big spoiler on the trunk.:cry:

The one I drove with no money down would go for $726 a month for a 24 month/ 24,000 mile lease. Would I do it? Not for that money.:eek:

Could I live this car? Oh yes!!! Would I part with my car to get one? I don't think so. Maybe at a later date I would consider giving this car a real thought. But who knows, with the price of gas going the way it is I will wait for the "Hybrid" SRT to hit the streets. Plus I would missed the sound of my blower screaming!!!!!:D

Tallboy
04-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Great write-up, Slim! Thanks for the test-drive info. I've driven a few new Chargers, but not the SRT. Just for the record, My buddy owns a Dodge store and does NOT allow test drives on SRT cars, period. There are, however, "exceptions". You've got to be known pretty well at this store to be tossed a plate and a set of keys to an SRT of any iteration.

Sometime in calendar year 2007 I will be buying a Charger.

bugsys03
04-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Well, I finally got to drive a SRT-8 product. I went a Dodge dealer today and the salesman made a copy of my licence and told me I had 15 minutes with it. No problem with getting a test drive at this dealer. Here I was just me and a 425hp beast. :drive:

The first I noticed as I entered the car was that everything looked plasticy. Things were put together nice but I could see that there were not the best materials in this car. It looked spartan. Very nice seats though. Some of the best that have ever graced a sedan. A lot of nice creature features. The one I drove had a sunroof. Sticker was $39,500.

Now the good stuff. I waited until I got away from the dealer to romp on it. I will say this car moves. It has a really nice growl out of the tailpipes when you get on it. I got up to 80 in no time. I took a couple of turns and it handles great. The SRT-8 takes the corners really flat. No body roll out of this car. Turn the ESP off and the fun really starts. I also got to use the Auto-Stick and it was a lot of fun. Chrysler really did their homework on the tuning and chassis of these SRT's.

How does it compare to my Marauder? Well, I must say that they feel about the same when it comes to acceleration. I really think that my car can beat one these. The SRT-8 truly out handles the Marauder. The Marauder feels a bit looser. Also, the seats in the SRT really hold you. I think the interior is better finished in the Marauder too. The stock exhaust really does sound good on the SRT. One thing I hated was the view to the rear. A lot of blinds spots. Very hard to back up the SRT-8 Charger do to the short rear side windows, the small rear window and the big spoiler on the trunk.:cry:

The one I drove with no money down would go for $726 a month for a 24 month/ 24,000 mile lease. Would I do it? Not for that money.:eek:

Could I live this car? Oh yes!!! Would I part with my car to get one? I don't think so. Maybe at a later date I would consider giving this car a real thought. But who knows, with the price of gas going the way it is I will wait for the "Hybrid" SRT to hit the streets. Plus I would missed the sound of my blower screaming!!!!!:D

How about some props for the brakes?? Awesome braking!! "Plasticy?" Gimme a break, everything in the MM is plastic, at least the dash on the Mopar is padded. Interior was the feature I disliked the most on my MM. Ok Ive got my firesuit on ,flame away:flamer:

Marauder2005
04-17-2006, 04:51 PM
^^ First of, ALL new cars dash boards are 'plasticy'. And second thanks for

the info Slim. I wanted to test drive one myself, really sounds like a great

car to own. If I had the money, I would have one :D

Donny Carlson
04-17-2006, 05:12 PM
About the time they bring the Challenger SRT-8 to the market I will be getting the itch for something new again. I expect to give the Challenger serious consideration. That and the Camaro (SS, Z-28 or whatever they'll designate the performance version).

It's gonna be a good time for car enthusiasts, I only wish Ford had more than the Mustang to bring to the party.

bryanthomas
04-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Great info! At first when you said your Marauder could beat one I was thinking, "What is he talking about?!" Then I scrolled down to your sig. No be honest, did you do any burnouts in it? :D

How about some props for the brakes?? Awesome braking!! "Plasticy?" Gimme a break, everything in the MM is plastic, at least the dash on the Mopar is padded. Interior was the feature I disliked the most on my MM. Ok Ive got my firesuit on ,flame away:flamer:

No flames here. The "speckled" portion of the Marauder's dash is the worst part. What is it supposed to be anyway? Aluminum? It looks like crap and scratches easily. Tallboy is correct though; there aren't many new cars out there though that don't have a "plasticky" look inside. When I had my S2000 all the Honda guys would make that "plasticky" remark about domestics and me being the quintessential-all-around-car-guy I would point to the dash in their Civic and ask, "What is that made of? Titanium? OH WAIT!! It's plastic! And it looks just as cheap as my buddies Camaro SS!"

O's Fan Rich
04-17-2006, 05:26 PM
My wife REALLY likes these cars.
Thank God she's too cheap to spend the bucks.:banana:

bigslim
04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Great write-up, Slim! Thanks for the test-drive info. I've driven a few new Chargers, but not the SRT. Just for the record, My buddy owns a Dodge store and does NOT allow test drives on SRT cars, period. There are, however, "exceptions". You've got to be known pretty well at this store to be tossed a plate and a set of keys to an SRT of any iteration.

Sometime in calendar year 2007 I will be buying a Charger.
Chuck, if you can swing it go for the SRT-8. It is a really nice car. As it is going now if Ford doesn't make something really soon I can seee myself with one of these when the MM is paid off. I would probably do the 300C SRT-8 though just for a little more plushness and a little better view out the back.

Donny Carlson
04-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Chuck, if you can swing it go for the SRT-8. It is a really nice car. As it is going now if Ford doesn't make something really soon I can seee myself with one of these when the MM is paid off. I would probably do the 300C SRT-8 though just for a little more plushness and a little better view out the back.

I have to agree, the 300C SRT-8 is more upscale. There's more aftermarket stuff for it as well. There's a guy in my part of the woods with a black 300C SRT-8 and I almost get whiplash snapping my head around to look at it when he goes by.... and I'm in an SSR, which usually is the head turner.

Donny Carlson
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
One of the things about my Marauder that was disappointing (at first) was the interior, which though the quality was far superior to the bad old days at Ford of plastic, crappy plastic chrome, and clunky switches, was showing its age. The interior isn't bad... just there's a lot of cars of that model year and older with more interesting, contemporary styling. Not to get anybody's ire up, just look at the leaps taken by Ford on their interiors for the F-150, Mustang and Fusion, Zepher, etc.

Interior design is getting even better from what I can see. Take, for example, this interior for the new Audi TT. This is simply beautiful:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Audi/audi_tt_manu-07_int_01.jpg

natedog1284
04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
One of the things about my Marauder that was disappointing (at first) was the interior, which though the quality was far superior to the bad old days at Ford of plastic, crappy plastic chrome, and clunky switches, was showing its age. The interior isn't bad... just there's a lot of cars of that model year and older with more interesting, contemporary styling. Not to get anybody's ire up, just look at the leaps taken by Ford on their interiors for the F-150, Mustang and Fusion, Zepher, etc.

Interior design is getting even better from what I can see. Take, for example, this interior for the new Audi TT. This is simply beautiful:

Ya know, I see a lot of similarities between that dash and the one in my 1960 Chrysler Imperial. Big round trim rings around the instruments, the vents look similar, and the giant gas pedal is remarkably similar. No push button tranny tho....:rolleyes:. But of course the Imperial has a lot more actual metal and real chrome, which I guess is part of the reason it has lasted 47 years (yeah I know I said it's a '60, but it was made in Nov. 1959, so don't :flamer: ).

It's funny how people always say "Wow, that must be a huge car"; funny thing is, it only has about 6" length and width on my MM.....I guess I have a thing for huge cars, (btw, it's also black!)

RF Overlord
04-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the write-up, D... :up:

Since DCX now has a lock on RWD performance sedans (American ones, anyway), if they're still making them when it's time to put The Blackbird out to pasture, the only one I would consider seriously is the new Charger...the 300C has the second ugliest nose of any vehicle in history, and the Magnum, with it's weirdly sloping back end, just looks odd to me...like Paul Bunyan sat on it. The Charger has just the right balance of looks, and obviously has the power to go with it...

DEFYANT
04-17-2006, 07:53 PM
"M" was almost for "Magnum" in this household. Stationwagon or not, we like them. We didnt get it because the dealer would not budge from the sticker price.

I'd trade the mini van in a heartbeat for a good deal on a V8 Magnum.

bryanthomas
04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
"M" was almost for "Magnum" in this household. Stationwagon or not, we like them. We didnt get it because the dealer would not budge from the sticker price.

I'd trade the mini van in a heartbeat for a good deal on a V8 Magnum.

(Home Simpson voice) "Mmmm.... V8 Magnum."

Those are pretty kick ass, plus I always liked hot rod wagons for their goofy sex appeal.

MENINBLK
04-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Take, for example, this interior for the new Audi TT.

When AUDI stops using the vents from a Mazda 6 / Ford Mustang /
Ford Freestyle and starts designing their own stuff, it will be beautiful...

Until then, it is just plasticy...

Donny Carlson
04-17-2006, 09:28 PM
When AUDI stops using the vents from a Mazda 6 / Ford Mustang /
Ford Freestyle and starts designing their own stuff, it will be beautiful...

Until then, it is just plasticy...

Interesting that you say this. My SSR has an in-dash coin tray and cup holders that glide out when you push on them. If you take them out of the dash (some owners order a swap out kit so they have two holders or two coin trays....) the bottom is stamped with an Audi logo. These are from some model Audi. Seems GM has a financial interest in the company that made them (makes?) them for Audi, so it was a parts bin selection for the SSR.

If you look again at the bottom of the picture you'll see the climate control head units (three circular knobs). These are from Alpha Romeo. The CC
control head units in the SSR are like this and share the same head unit, as does the HHR, the Solstice and the Sky.

Circular vents are a design rage now. The SSR concept had them, but Chevy switched to Olds Aurora vents to save dash space on the production models.

Ah, the parts bin. When the bean counters say no, where else do you turn?

BADMERC
04-17-2006, 10:19 PM
SLIM, I am with you. The S/C is the sound we LOVE. The MM is one of a kind!! How often do any of us see one?

Marauderjack
04-18-2006, 02:46 AM
Slim....

What was your "take" on the shifting of the car??:confused:

We drove a 300C before buying the V-6 model and the "Slushy" shifts were much worse than the Stock MM shifts!!:argue:

Come to find out that Chrysler injects "Torque Management" at the shift which in effect shuts the engine down momentarily during the shift thus reducing the stress on the transmission....aka: 'Mushy Shifts".:shake: Our sales guy (good friend of ours) said that Chrysler knew that most folks like smooth shifts and the way that they accomplish it protects the drive train as well as keeps from spinning those "Skinny" tires!!??:bows:

I expect if you got a chip or tune with firm shifts you would experience drive train problems and have to get "Fatties" out back??:mad:

Marauderjack:burnout:

martyo
04-18-2006, 04:55 AM

A lot of these cars don't work well on the numbers for leases. To lease a Marauder would have been ridiculous, which in hindsight is a good thing with all the mods I did to mine! :D

I would be more inclined to see the numbers run on a purchase than a lease ( a two year lease, no less!). I think you would be surprised how much more "affordable" the car would become.

Wish I could have taken the test ride with you!

bugsys03
04-18-2006, 05:11 AM
Slim....

We drove a 300C before buying the V-6 model and the "Slushy" shifts were much worse than the Stock MM shifts!!:argue:

Come to find out that Chrysler injects "Torque Management" at the shift which in effect shuts the engine down momentarily during the shift thus reducing the stress on the transmission....aka: 'Mushy Shifts".:shake: Our sales guy (good friend of ours) said that Chrysler knew that most folks like smooth shifts and the way that they accomplish it protects the drive train as well as keeps from spinning those "Skinny" tires!!??:bows:

I expect if you got a chip or tune with firm shifts you would experience drive train problems and have to get "Fatties" out back??:mad:

If you operate the car in "D" the shifts are I guess you could call them mushy.
In autostick, if you can keep it off the 6400 rev limiter they are better but no where near a modded MM's crisp shifts.

juno
04-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Slim....

My Predator has an adjustment for "Torque Modulation" for the MM. Needless to say I selected O-F-F. :)

I drove a v-8 charger nice car, but chinsy. I would not trade the MM for one. Now the Magnum, the extra functionality comes in handy. Will probably be my future ride.
Sorry Henry, you snooze, you lose. "The Way Forward" is a step back.

bigslim
04-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Slim....

Actually, the shifts were very firm. There was no searching for gears. I'm sure that Mercedes had something to do with that.

Marauder2005
04-18-2006, 03:41 PM
^^^^ Its getting hard to read this thread. I'm starting to

want one :D

Badger
04-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Anyone else hear about the problem with Chargers in a slalom course?
Maybe a little lean in corners is a good thing???