PDA

View Full Version : Daily Driver options with high gas prices

Eric91Z
04-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Well, with premium fuel hitting just about $3 a gallon here in Iowa (and even regular unleaded with ethanol at $2.89/gallon), it is really time to figure out some ways to save money on the commute.

For a short term fix the wife and I will do more car swapping - I will commute in the Five Hundred for my 95+ miles per day round trip and she will drive the Marauder for her 20 mile or less round trip commute. That way the miles are going on her car (which we already know we are getting rid of in a couple of years), miles kept down on the Marauder (which we know we want to keep a long time), and fill ups will be cheaper since her car uses regular unleaded as opposed to premium in the Marauder.

But eventually I want a dedicated winter/commuter car. And with the way gas prices are and the fact I will be doing 25,000 miles per year just in the commute for the next however many years until I retire (or win the lottery), I need to thing long term costs and reliability.

I had originally just planned on picking up a used CVPI and rack the miles up on that, but that really doesn't help much with the fuel useage. It won't be all that much better than the Marauder. I am filling up about every 3rd day right now and getting around 20 mpg. I love the car and love to drive it and won't be getting rid of it, but not enjoying the miles being put on and would love to save some gas.

So, looking for some input on cheaper cars that are still reliable and get decent gas mileage, but relatively comfortable for the commute. Doesn't need to be very roomy, except I need to fit in it, and maybe room for dogs if we want to take them some place instead of getting the other cars dirty. Here is some of what I have been thinking about:

1) Pontiac Vibe - 4 door, roomy, hatchback room
2) Ford Focus - probably go with the "5-door" configuration
3) Ford Taurus - still sharp looking and same motor as the Five Hundred, but better gas mileage ratings and OK looking
4) Pre-'03 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP or Buick Regal GS
5) VW Jetta or Bug with the TDi - 45+ mpg on the highway - over twice what I get in the Marauder, but more in money for diesel

I want something that gets real word 30+ mpg on the highway. That is an average of 10 mpg more than the Marauder. And the TDi VW would be sweet as it could go 300,000+ miles with regular maintenance, but some concerns on reliability long term with other parts of the car. Plus, they are more pricey than the other cars on the list.

Actually, I wish I had the power to make the government figure this gas pricing (gouging) out and regulate it better. Too bad the big oil companies line the pockets of so many government officials and the little guys have to suffer for it.

Anyway, any input on vehicles?

DeadVic
04-19-2006, 06:43 AM
I "invested" in a 96 Buick Century about 16 months ago. It had 90K miles, he had all records and most importantly, it had the iron horse 4 banger (2.2L)

It just turned 125K miles this morning. Doesn't use a drop of oil, gets 27-29 MPG during my 90 mile round trip in houston traffic and the A/C will freeze you out. Cost me $3400 and I believe I paid a little too much but everything else in that price range was complete trash. I stuck sirius radio in it to keep my sanity. brakes on the car suck and i have replaced them twice now (myself - $35 each time) but its solid cheap transportation.

WIth gas being $2-3 since that time I figure it will pay for itself in about six more months.

you might look at a similiear oldsmobuick....good luck

DEFYANT
04-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Mopeds get around 100 miles to the gallon. I would be seriously considering this is I had this problem

magindat
04-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Subaru. high mileage. reliable. run forever. all wheel drive.

KillJoy
04-19-2006, 07:05 AM
We have an '02 Grand Am GT Sedan as a daily driver. Average Milage is around 25MPG-ish.

We have put just over 23,000 Miles on it in the last year. So far, it has been a reliable car.

KillJoy

duhtroll
04-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Screw gas prices. Last time they went up I got a Mercury Marauder.

This time I'm buying an aircraft carrier.

-A

Eric91Z
04-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Mopeds get around 100 miles to the gallon. I would be seriously considering this is I had this problem

This would be great, but my daily commute times would go from 2 hours total to 4 or more... ;)

Bluerauder
04-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Screw gas prices.

-A
Yeah, that's my thoughts on this matter too !!! ;) Wonder how long I can hold out. Last night Sunoco 93 was $3.079. It has been going up at the rate of 10 cents per week.

When it hits $5.00 per gallon, I am gonna go out and buy a 15 passenger van or a 24 person bus or two and get in the commuter ride business. :D

Tallboy
04-19-2006, 08:58 AM

-A

I love it! :beer: I have the same attitude.

But, do not underestimate the value of a "*****box". I bought one. 03 Neon SXT. Never spends a night in the garage. Only gets washed when I loan it out, and sometimes not even then. We use this car to run errands, Loan to relatives, etc. Having a Marauder, Mustang, Malibu, and a new Saturn Vue to take care of, I'm glad I have one car I can just turn the key and go, and not worry about door dings, rocks flying out from underneath trucks, etc.The fact that it's good on a gas is a plus. However, this car will be replaced next year by a Charger.

Eric, any "extra" car is a good car. You can't go wrong with any of the choices on your list.

Sully008
04-19-2006, 09:06 AM
I agree with ^^. All your choices are good ones. I can only comment on two of them. I owned an '02 Taurus SEL before the MM. There's a pic in my gallery. It's was comfortable day to day cruiser. Reliable, got decent gas mileage (I never calculated it, sorry! But a full tank usually lasted 10 days or so). And I don't think it looked that bad.

My parents have an '01 Regal GS w/SC. It too is everything my Taurus was, except you might want to start modding it if it's S/C'd. That's the only "weakness" I see.

If only I kept my '87 beater 4 cylinder Rustang for the winter, I'd be set...

Eric91Z
04-19-2006, 09:25 AM
In retrospect I wish I could have found a way to keep my '92 Honda Accord for commuting, although it was a little cramped for my tastes. Part of why I wanted the Marauder (just a small part).

And I could see the "concern" of getting the Regal GS or GP GTP and wanting to mod it as they can be made to run quite well. I am thinking maybe the Taurus, Vibe, or Focus as the way to go. Something decent looking, nice ride, decent gas mileage, and that I wouldn't be concerned with it sitting outside all the time.

gpfarrell
04-19-2006, 09:46 AM

-A

Aircraft carrier? Not for me... I want an oil tanker!

My 1978 Marquis does great on gas... I don't think I filled it up 3 times all last year!

Oh, I think I'd pick the Focus... 5-door hatch could carry lots... it would be a truck in disguise!

Breadfan
04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
1) Pontiac Vibe - 4 door, roomy, hatchback room
2) Ford Focus - probably go with the "5-door" configuration
3) Ford Taurus - still sharp looking and same motor as the Five Hundred, but better gas mileage ratings and OK looking
4) Pre-'03 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP or Buick Regal GS
5) VW Jetta or Bug with the TDi - 45+ mpg on the highway - over twice what I get in the Marauder, but more in money for diesel

My personal thoughts on the above vehicles:

1.) The Vibe is a Toyota Matrix. Looks like a nice reliable ride, good utility, and should get decent mileage. Not going to win any races, but someone in my family has one and is pretty happy.

2.) The first year had some recalls, but seems like a solid car. Most who drive them seem pretty happy with them and comment that they handle pretty well.

3.) Plenty of folks bash these cars, I can't comment on their reliability but never felt they looked all that bad. Might have more room than the Focus, but probably won't get the same milage. I think it's an outdated platform and just sort of a "blah" kinda ride, thats why it gets bashed. Fleet-mobile, ya know?

4.) 3800 V6 is a nice motor for having pushrods. GM has done really good things with their ancient designs on the pushrod motors. Has an Eaton blower if you go with GTP or GS. I prefer the Regal, have considered one as a commuter car too. They depreciate like mad, seem reliable, have good power, and the GS and GTP level have plenty of goodies in the option dept. Sounds like one of the more fun bets, plus, FWD is good for the winter.

5.) No. Just my opinion, but I don't like VW's. I've driven an old bug and thought it was fun, but I'd rather spend the same money on a shifter kart with a motorcycle engine, or convert the bug to a dune buggy.

Oh, but beyond that, VW's quality and reliability have tanked in the last few years. Have known folks with late model VW's that have had nothing but problems, and sutff that should not happen on a car. Newest models may be better, and honestly they appeal more to me.

Due to their close association with Audi, I'd much rather have an A4 than a Jetta, but I see you want the TDI, I hear they are really good on mileage so agree with you there.

GAMike
04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Hate to say it but maybe a 2nd job is the ticket...............?

This must be the reason why unemployment is so low. Gotta work two jobs to keep the tank filled!

Regards,

Breadfan
04-19-2006, 09:56 AM
We have an '02 Grand Am GT Sedan as a daily driver. Average Milage is around 25MPG-ish.

We have put just over 23,000 Miles on it in the last year. So far, it has been a reliable car.

KillJoy

Have you changed your LIM lately?

I had an '01 that had 90k when I traded it for the Marauder. My LIM was leaking on trade in, but externally. I hear I was lucky.

My sister had hers go at 10k, and again at 49k. She had alot of other odd problems too. My worst thing was the crappy brake rotors warping so much, and the PASSlock thinking I was stealing the car twice.

I wish I still had my Grand Am as a commuter car, it was a nice solid car, but the intake gaskets on the 3.4l have a design flaw and there is about 15hrs of single-person labor invovled to fix them. About $150 in parts but enough labor to make it a $1100 repair.

I've done them once, and when done it's nothing like instlaling a blower, lol - the reward is somewhat less!

sconut1
05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
For what it's worth, I'd definitely look at the Taurus. I've got one that I use for my winter car, and it's been in the family now for 14 years with not a moments trouble. In fact, I don't know anyone who's owned a Taurus and had any major problems with it. I think they're fantastic cars. For some reason, the re-sale value is just crap on them. Not great if you're selling one, but great if you're buying one which makes them all the more attractive.

I can't comment on the GM stuff you're looking at, but based on my past experience in the auto wholesale business, VW and Audi are not very good choices. They're great cars to drive, get good fuel economy, but I've never seen a VW or Audi that didn't require a lot of frequent attention. Nickle and dime forever. I had an Audi 5000 S as a demo for awhile, and it was a case of what's going to break this week! Parts can be very expensive for these cars too.

mrjones
05-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Back from the dead after 25 months!!

What did Eric end up with and how many miles are on it now????

fastblackmerc
05-28-2008, 06:21 PM
For what it's worth, I'd definitely look at the Taurus. I've got one that I use for my winter car, and it's been in the family now for 14 years with not a moments trouble. In fact, I don't know anyone who's owned a Taurus and had any major problems with it. I think they're fantastic cars. For some reason, the re-sale value is just crap on them. Not great if you're selling one, but great if you're buying one which makes them all the more attractive.

I can't comment on the GM stuff you're looking at, but based on my past experience in the auto wholesale business, VW and Audi are not very good choices. They're great cars to drive, get good fuel economy, but I've never seen a VW or Audi that didn't require a lot of frequent attention. Nickle and dime forever. I had an Audi 5000 S as a demo for awhile, and it was a case of what's going to break this week! Parts can be very expensive for these cars too.

Dude, you need to check the dates on posts you reply to.... this one is over 2 years old......

Paul
05-28-2008, 07:00 PM
So, what did Eric buy? This topic is even more relevant today. And this thread is pretty funny at the beginning - everybody complaining about $3 a gallon premium. Oh, for the good old days! :)

Vortex
05-28-2008, 09:20 PM
My daily driver is my 05 Montego, 3.0 liter get about 23-24 in the city and can get up to 30 mpg on the highway with more interior room than our MMs. Not a sexy car, not much fun to drive but damn practical. Ive had no real issues with mine and would recommend it (or the 500, the new Taurus or Sable).

252life
05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
The Jetta Tdi is a great car. I have a -97 as a daily driver and it's been the most reliable car I ever owned. And it gets 50 mpg on average.

Breadfan
05-28-2008, 09:34 PM
My daily driver is my 05 Montego, 3.0 liter get about 23-24 in the city and can get up to 30 mpg on the highway with more interior room than our MMs. Not a sexy car, not much fun to drive but damn practical. Ive had no real issues with mine and would recommend it (or the 500, the new Taurus or Sable).

Is that with CVT? Does the CVT give any mpg advantage over the regular trans? Does AWD hurt mpg in those?

Aren Jay
05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
CVT's are better for gas mileage, theoretically. AWD does hurt Gas mileage on the highway end. I had a NA 2.5L Subaru Legacy and I couldn't get more than 21 MPG highway. I did get about 19 city though. But then It was too small and the Marauder is so much more fun, so much less depressing to drive.

Eric91Z
05-29-2008, 05:40 AM
I ended up getting an '03 Crown Vic PI. Not the greatest gas mileage, but the price was right. I usually get around 16-17 mpg with my 95% in town driving. I need to get it on the highway more to blow the cob webs out.

At this point, with gas now closer to $4.00 (actually, paid $4.19 the other day for Premium in the Marauder), I had started considering going to something more fuel efficient since next year some time I will be going back to commuting about 500+ miles per week. I am now trying to weigh whether having a car payment on a car that gets 30+ mpg on the highway will save enough money to justify having the $300 or so car payment that would accompany it - along with higher insurance and registration fees.

Or, I suck it up and just drive the Crown Vic until it dies, put a new motor in it, and just keep driving it.

but as for now, I can deal with it and gas prices. Hoping for a little improvement in gas mileage with the new ported upper plenum and Aviator TB I stuck on there and the new O2 sensors, Magnaflow replacement cat-pipes, mufflers, and Magnaflow exhaust tips that will be going on soon. Would love to see a 1-2 mpg improvement with those changes. And the tune I got for it is an 89 octane tune so I don't have to run premium in it.

BAD MERC
05-29-2008, 05:47 AM

-A
I am buying a container ship and digging a channel to work.