PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Prowler

bryanthomas
04-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Heys guys! I thought I would add a little content...

What is everyone's opinion on the often forgotten Plymouth Prowler?

Now I know the first thing most folks will comment on is how this cool looking cruiser was just simply that, a cruiser. The lack of a V8 (or any kind of more powerful engine) was a real let down to most gearheads, but it seems what the Prowler lacked in "oomf" it made up for in style and rarity. I myself have never driven one, but have always admired the car. I'm not exactly sure how fast they are but I seem to remember them doing the standing 1/4 in 14.7 or so. Not terribly slow, but certainly not as fast as it should be to be so deliciously styled. :drool: While there was definitely room for improvement with what many call the most uniquely styled production vehicle, I still believe it to be one of the very rare cars made in the last twenty years that will appreciate in value (that's a great idea for another thread altogether!). So, would I buy one even though my Marauder is just as rare, and with a set of 4.10s would utterly destroy it in a straight line? My answer: Yep. Call me crazy but I've always had love for this car.

Oh, BTW this thread is funny: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18174&highlight=prowler

And on another note, I have lurked on the Prowler forums before... I have never seen such a group of people be so dedicated to making a car go fast that was obviously not meant to do so. I haven't seen one Prowler with a blower, tubo, or NO2 that didn't have "issues." But ya gotta hand it to them for trying! And be thankful we have vendors like we do that make reliable power adders with amazing quality!

magindat
04-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Prowler wouldn't be recognized as 'rare' at all if it hadn't been so exotic looking. It's true, there were less marauders than prowlers. They were neat.

I had the most fun watching one blow it's motor on a test and tune night at the strip. The oil slick it left dayum near killed TJA, though.

ckadiddle
04-19-2006, 07:15 AM
I like the styling of prowlers. Eye-catching. Definitely should ahve had a v8 though.

KillJoy
04-19-2006, 07:15 AM
I believe they are completely re-enginerring one on Dream Car Garage. Dropping a 427-ish and making it look like it came that way.

KillJoy

Bradley G
04-19-2006, 07:17 AM
The owner of the dealership, I work for, has had one since '98.
It's a '97 purple with a trailer.
I drove it, when they first got it.
It is very tough to see, especially the rear.
I did not care for it, or , I was way too big for it, really.
Still kinda cool, can say, I see more Marauders than Prowlers.

duhtroll
04-19-2006, 07:19 AM
I never really went for them. My friend's dad owns one and my friend was always whooping it up to me about getting to drive it once a year.

Then I showed up in his town for a Marauder event, and when I mentioned that was the reason I was in town I got this --

"So you have a Marauder?"

"Yep."

"You SUCK!"

:D

bryanthomas
04-19-2006, 08:03 AM
I see more Marauders than Prowlers.

I agree. I was thinking about this fact and I think the reason we see more Marauders than Prowlers is because they are more practical to drive. I mean most everyone here drives their Marauder on a daily, mean while most Prowler owners are the type that are afraid to put miles on their cars. LOL, I've never understood people like that.:rolleyes: Some say they are protecting their investment. When I'm on my death bed the last thing I'm going to be thinking is, "Man, I wish I hadn't driven my cars so much!"

P.S. - Bradley, do you guys have Marauder door sills in stock? I have been meaning to call and order a set.:)

bryanthomas
04-19-2006, 08:04 AM
I never really went for them. My friend's dad owns one and my friend was always whooping it up to me about getting to drive it once a year.

Then I showed up in his town for a Marauder event, and when I mentioned that was the reason I was in town I got this --

"So you have a Marauder?"

"Yep."

"You SUCK!"

:D

Once a year? Lame!

Haggis
04-19-2006, 08:34 AM
What is everyone's opinion on the often forgotten Plymouth Prowler?
Let's see, how can I put this. :down: :puke: :shake:

Breadfan
04-19-2006, 10:01 AM
I believe they are completely re-enginerring one on Dream Car Garage. Dropping a 427-ish and making it look like it came that way.

KillJoy

I was just thinking about that! I think they're putting corvette suspension in the rear too.

Neat car, lacked power, but still cool for a production car.

Considering it only had a V6 it's a shame they didn't produce more and lower the price, would be a fun commuter car.

For those in the N. VA area, I've seen an orange one commuting around Ft. Belvoir...daily driver it seems.

Bluerauder
04-19-2006, 10:40 AM
For those in the N. VA area, I've seen an orange one commuting around Ft. Belvoir...daily driver it seems.
I've seen it ... 2 girls ... License is "CLKWRK" I think ...
I thought that license was pretty clever; but from their apparent ages there is no way that either of them could remember "A Clockwork Orange".

RR|Suki
04-19-2006, 10:57 AM
I've seen it ... 2 girls ... License is "CLKWRK" I think ...
I thought that license was pretty clever; but from their apparent ages there is no way that either of them could remember "A Clockwork Orange".

it's actually a pretty popular film to watch amoung college kids (knowing this having just finished undergrad)

bryanthomas
04-19-2006, 12:17 PM
The oil slick it left dayum near killed TJA, though.

TJA? What does that stand for?

If you saw one blow it's motor then you know what I'm talking about. It's like some of these owners won't admit what this car really is, a cruiser. It was never intended to be a drag racer! The only mods I have seen availible that don't seem detrimental to it's life are intake, exhaust, and gears.

mrjones
04-19-2006, 12:37 PM
They need to bring the Chrysler Howler concept back - this time with the 6.1L.

blackf0rk
04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
My opinion of the prowler? Liked it as a kid, then I turned 15 and realized it was a peice of crap. Ship 'em all down to san fran, they'll have a blast with 'em.

bryanthomas
04-19-2006, 03:34 PM
My opinion of the prowler? Liked it as a kid, then I turned 15 and realized it was a peice of crap. Ship 'em all down to san fran, they'll have a blast with 'em.

Ouch! :fishslap: That was pretty harsh... plus I finally got to use that fish slap smiley!:D

blackf0rk
04-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Ouch! :fishslap: That was pretty harsh... plus I finally got to use that fish slap smiley!:D

OW! hehe

Ask me how I really feel about 'em... :P

bryanthomas
04-19-2006, 04:00 PM
OW! hehe

Ask me how I really feel about 'em... :P

LOL :D I think it is something like this --> :puke:

Vortex
04-20-2006, 06:51 AM
I always thought they looked pretty cool, eve if it wasnt a performance car. They made a few special edition ones right at the end that were candy apple red that look great. Just throw away the front bumpers!

bryanthomas
04-20-2006, 07:35 AM
I always thought they looked pretty cool, eve if it wasnt a performance car. They made a few special edition ones right at the end that were candy apple red that look great. Just throw away the front bumpers!

Oh, for sure! It looks way better with out the front bumpers.

DEFYANT
04-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Whats a Plymouth?

MM03MOK
04-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Whats a Plymouth?http://www.greatislandatthepinehills. org/tour/images/rock.jpg

A rock ?

Donny Carlson
04-20-2006, 09:04 AM
There are a lot of Prowler owners who also own SSR's. They are spiritual cousins in a way. Both are show cars that made it to production. Both were high demand at first and sold over sticker, then demand dried up, sales went in the toilet, then they sold at huge discounts just as the plug was pulled. Both assembled in specialty plants. Both have highly loyal owners.

Prowlers are cool cars, but do have disadvantages due to their size and lack of storage space. The power issue is not so much an issue, since this is a cruiser and not a racer. For the record, there are a few conversions to V8 engines out there.

Marauder fans probably won't like either because the MM is designed for and appeals to a different type of owner. Certainly the MM is far more practical and comfortable. It also a better choice for racing.

But, I have to give credit to both Chevrolet and Chrysler for bring these vehicles to market. They took a chance and did something bold, something that Ford has not done in any similar way. Granted, the GT was awesome, but you have to be wealthy to buy one of em, at least the Prowler and SSR could be had under $50K. Ford has shown us some tasty concept vehicles (the Forty-Nine comes to mind).

bryanthomas
04-20-2006, 09:19 AM
There are a lot of Prowler owners who also own SSR's. They are spiritual cousins in a way. Both are show cars that made it to production. Both were high demand at first and sold over sticker, then demand dried up, sales went in the toilet, then they sold at huge discounts just as the plug was pulled. Both assembled in specialty plants. Both have highly loyal owners.

Prowlers are cool cars, but do have disadvantages due to their size and lack of storage space. The power issue is not so much an issue, since this is a cruiser and not a racer. For the record, there are a few conversions to V8 engines out there.

Marauder fans probably won't like either because the MM is designed for and appeals to a different type of owner. Certainly the MM is far more practical and comfortable. It also a better choice for racing.

But, I have to give credit to both Chevrolet and Chrysler for bring these vehicles to market. They took a chance and did something bold, something that Ford has not done in any similar way. Granted, the GT was awesome, but you have to be wealthy to buy one of em, at least the Prowler and SSR could be had under $50K. Ford has shown us some tasty concept vehicles (the Forty-Nine comes to mind).

Well said. I agree that it would be nice to see Ford take such a risk, but I doubt that they would in their current financial state. Building green cars and building a streetable show car are two different paths and it seems the former is more viable for the company. I don't see Ford building the GT as a risky move. They had a lot to go on with; Chrysler took that chance many years ago by building the Viper. The GT is awesome, but like you said it takes a deep wallet to buy one. What you stated in your last paragraph is the main reason I like the Prowler so much.

crowdog
04-20-2006, 09:32 AM
I have a friend that owns one and he loves it. I've always thought they were kinda neat but never really wanted one myself. Although I did find one of the "Black Tie" edition Prowlers for sale that would be a nice collector car. It is 1 of 5 built 2 tone black over silver 9700 miles 100% stock for $38k.

Aren Jay
11-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Anyone Change their mind?

I like the Prowler, always have. I love the 20 inch rear tires/wheels and the flow of the car.

I don't know if I fit into it and know i would have trouble with the top up, but I just love how they look and with the trailer for shopping trips they are great. I've been considering buying one, in place of a Smart car, but they are so expensive now.

One of the few cars that have gone up in value.

ckadiddle
11-27-2007, 07:43 AM
I see Prowlers around Orlando occaisionally. I see Marauders maybe once a year outside of intentional meets with other MM owners.

281cammer
11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Prowler is a cool car, no hot rod in the power dept. But a cool car to just cruise in. My dad wants one actually, he's also gunghoe Mopar guy though.

n00bkiller944
11-27-2007, 04:03 PM
It's a very good looking car, but like everyone else said it seems to be a sunday cruiser type car

Haggis
11-28-2007, 05:21 AM
A waste of money and materials.